Soundbar without subwoofer - any good? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 05-12-2010, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Fjodor2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Most soundbars I've seen have a subwoofer, but I'd like to avoid having one since I don't have a good place to put the subwoofer. Also, in my case the main reason for getting a soundbar is not for e.g. experiencing impressing sounds during explosions in movies, but for improving dialog and general sound quality compared to the crappy TV speakers.

So, therefore I just wonder if there are any soundbars without subwoofer that are good?
Fjodor2000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 05-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Senior Member
 
l3ftonm3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There are quite a few soundbars that dont have subwoofers included. Vizio, Yamaha, Zvox are 3 companies that I can think of right now.
l3ftonm3 is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 05-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Member
 
mtp78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
definitve tech ssa-50
mtp78 is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 05-13-2010, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Fjodor2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks! Is there anyone who has tried a soundbar without subwoofer? What's your experience? How would you rate the sound quality compared to soundbars with subwoofer?
Fjodor2000 is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 05-13-2010, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post

Thanks! Is there anyone who has tried a soundbar without subwoofer? What's your experience? How would you rate the sound quality compared to soundbars with subwoofer?

A soundbar without a sub is really going to sound thin in most case's, I have owned many bars and just for fun have experimented with turning the sub off or all the way down, and in every case the sound suffered.

If you dont have a good place to put the sub here is an option, mount it on a wall above you,,, sounds crazy but Im thinking about tring this myself,,,, reason being, I live in a up-stairs condo, the people under me do sometimes bitch about the sub, other reason is the only place's I have on the floor for my sub, is tucked behind my couch or right under my wall mounted display,,,,, so since I am curious as to how it would sound, I plan on wall mounting my wireless sub (in a corner) almost as high as the ceiling (about 8 feet) just to see what it sounds like.

For the record Im currenty using a Vizio soundbar w/ wireless sub,,, LOVE the Vizio !!!

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 05-13-2010, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Fjodor2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks!

If you compare the soundbar without subwoofer to the speakers on your HDTV, would you say there is still a clear improvement?

Also, is it fair to make a judgement based on how a soundbar with subwoofer sounds when the subwoofer is turned off? Aren't there any soundbars that are built to intentionally work without a subwoofer, so that perhaps they are designed with larger speaker elements since they must be able to produce lower frequencies themselves as they are specifically designed to work without a subwoofer?
Fjodor2000 is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 05-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Member
 
Derry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St. Peters, Missouri
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yes the soundbar itself is a step forward for most all TVs,, my Vizio (with wireless sub) just by itself was a noticeable improvement over the LCD TV,, our living room is quite large with 18' ceilings and it needed some extra punch,, I have unplugged the woofer several times just to test it out and it still sounds far better than the TV speakers,,

I'm running my bar from the audio out on my ATT Uvers box, not the TV,,

Derry

Common sense is not common,,

Gunned 1.6QRs & Altec VOTTs
Derry is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 05-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Senior Member
 
l3ftonm3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

A soundbar without a sub is really going to sound thin in most case's, I have owned many bars and just for fun have experimented with turning the sub off or all the way down, and in every case the sound suffered.

If you dont have a good place to put the sub here is an option, mount it on a wall above you,,, sounds crazy but Im thinking about tring this myself,,,, reason being, I live in a up-stairs condo, the people under me do sometimes bitch about the sub, other reason is the only place's I have on the floor for my sub, is tucked behind my couch or right under my wall mounted display,,,,, so since I am curious as to how it would sound, I plan on wall mounting my wireless sub (in a corner) almost as high as the ceiling (about 8 feet) just to see what it sounds like.

For the record Im currenty using a Vizio soundbar w/ wireless sub,,, LOVE the Vizio !!!

Cheers
Davyo

Have you tried making your own sub-dude? Might be better instead of mounting it up so high.
l3ftonm3 is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 05-13-2010, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ftonm3 View Post

Have you tried making your own sub-dude?

Whats a "sub-dude" ?

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 05-13-2010, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JChin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesquite Tx
Posts: 8,431
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Whats a "sub-dude" ?

Cheers
Davyo

SubDude - The SubDude is a subwoofer, speaker or amp riser that is incredibly effective at reducing or eliminating resonance transfer. This increased isolation results in a purity of tone that truly needs to be heard. Stop unwanted room resonance easily through the implementation of this highly cost-effective platform. Utilizing our proprietary Platfoam, the SubDude is sure to give you the extra isolation you need.
JChin is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 05-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Senior Member
 
l3ftonm3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Whats a "sub-dude" ?

Cheers
Davyo

http://forum.blu-ray.com/subwoofers/...er-risers.html
l3ftonm3 is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 05-14-2010, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

SubDude - The SubDude is a subwoofer, speaker or amp riser that is incredibly effective at reducing or eliminating resonance transfer. This increased isolation results in a purity of tone that truly needs to be heard. Stop unwanted room resonance easily through the implementation of this highly cost-effective platform. Utilizing our proprietary Platfoam, the SubDude is sure to give you the extra isolation you need.

Ahhhh,,, I thought thats what it might be,, but I have never heard the term before,,,, I always just called it "a thingy to put your sub on" .

Actually I do have a small sub stand that works well, but the other reason for wanting to experiement with wall mounting my sub is because of my couch blocking the sub,, and I am curious to see what it would sound like high up on the wall.

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 05-14-2010, 09:25 AM
Senior Member
 
l3ftonm3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Ahhhh,,, I thought thats what it might be,, but I have never heard the term before,,,, I always just called it "a thingy to put your sub on" .

Actually I do have a small sub stand that works well, but the other reason for wanting to experiement with wall mounting my sub is because of my couch blocking the sub,, and I am curious to see what it would sound like high up on the wall.

Cheers
Davyo


Well if you mount it high up they say for an 8ft ceiling you want to have it 2ft away from the top if this helps.
l3ftonm3 is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 06-02-2010, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drfreeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
To the OP, when I initially installed my Vizio sub, I used it for about three weeks with no sub attached. Sound was nice and dynamic and a major improvement over the built-in speakers. Finally attached a Yamaha sub that was purchased for a Yamaha Sound Projector soundbar and after getting the balance right, this definitely added extra fullness and richness to the sound. But even without, the sound was much better than almost any built-in speakers included with modern TV's.

By the way, my son is still using my Yamaha Sound Projector, without sub. He and his wife love it. Much better than built-in speakers with their TV.

David Freeman
drfreeman60 is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 08-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Newbie
 
Dawn Gerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't have floor space for a sub 7x16x17 and 23lbs is heavy for a shelf. Can I put the sub under the foot of my bed?
Dawn Gerry is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 08-02-2012, 05:54 AM
 
BobL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I don't think it is shipping yet but I would look into Atlantic Technology's new sound bar coming out. They have been demoing it, so I hope it will be shipping soon. Has great bass with no sub.
BobL is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Newbie
 
dale1usa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Philips will have a new bar in May whose specs look very good!
dale1usa is offline  
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Definitive Technology Mythos Ssa 50 Speaker

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off