Little help Please. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-16-2010, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 42 inch Plasma, a Pioneer Elite with a Sat. (Directv) box, Sony playstation 3 for my blu ray and I want to get either a soundbar or a home theater in a box with wireless speakers. Wife prefers the soundbar.

Room is about 12X12 and all I really want to improve the sound for is when I watch the blu ray movies. When I watch regular Satellite tv its fine but when I watch a movie the audio is bad, especially the dialogue. I dont want to spend a lot of money because I only use this room on weekends.

Can anyone that knows what they are talking about make some suggestions. I really dont want to start listening to lots of different set ups as its not a huge investment. I already have a dedicated home theater room where I sunk lots of cash.

Thank you..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-16-2010, 03:03 PM

Liked: 11
You can get a Sony ht-ct100 for around $200 these days. The 2010 model ht-ct150 just came out but it runs $300. Another option in the $300 range is the Pioneer htp-sb300 with a wireless subwoofer. At $400 the Sony ht-ct350 is available for pre-order and should be available soon.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-16-2010, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ftonm3 View Post

You can get a Sony ht-ct100 for around $200 these days. The 2010 model ht-ct150 just came out but it runs $300. Another option in the $300 range is the Pioneer htp-sb300 with a wireless subwoofer. At $400 the Sony ht-ct350 is available for pre-order and should be available soon.

Is the Sony ct100 any good? Do you think the ct150 is a big improvement for the extra money?
post #4 of 9 Old 05-16-2010, 07:38 PM

The HTC-100 is pretty good - really nice if you need the HDMI inputs. I just bought the Vizio vsb-210ws a couple of weeks ago which you can find at some Costco's for $249, or it you can't find it there I believe they are still selling on Amazon for a little more.

IMO, the Vizio is much better than the Sony - but it doesn't have the HDMI input/output which is really nice if you need it. The biggest problem I had with the Sony is the sub speaker fires to the right side of the enclosure - kind of an odd arrangement. Probably just fine if you can locate the sub so the speaker is unobstructed, but in my case it would have had to be located to the left side of my entertainment center firing directly into the side of the furniture - so a non-starter for me. Another plus for the Vizio is the sub is wireless, so you can move it around pretty much anywhere in the room. The Vizio sounds unbelieveable for the price - although be aware that there is a new model due out soon (same for the Sony) which is why it is being discounted currently, but for $249 you would have a hard time beating the Vizio!
post #5 of 9 Old 05-16-2010, 07:38 PM

had the same issues,, wife wanted minimal "STUFF" to look at and we have a great HT room but needed help for the living room,,

we have been totally happy with the Vizio bar and wireless sub,, our living room is a tad larger with 18' ceilings open to a loft,, the TV was helpless to offer decent audio,, I shopped a tad and figured I can always take it back if it does not handle the room size,, selected the Vizio first and been enjoying it now since Christmas,,

no great L-R separation but still very nice sound and voice quality,, the bass is certainly present and not boomy,, decent control with the usual low grade Vizio remote but it works and is seldom used,, I feed the bar directly from the audio out the ATT Uverse box,,

yes I would purchase again,,

Derry

Common sense is not common,,

Gunned 1.6QRs & Altec VOTTs
post #6 of 9 Old 05-17-2010, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. The hdmi is an issue for me as I'm using the SAT. box and PS3
post #7 of 9 Old 05-17-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunotheboxer View Post

Thanks guys. The hdmi is an issue for me as I'm using the SAT. box and PS3

Actually I am too - but I have the cable box and ps3 attached directly to the tv, and the optical audio out on the tv attached to the soundbar. Works great.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-02-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
I agree with Kefer. I have all of my components connected to the TV and TV to Vizio soundbar. Sound is much better than the built-in speakers which IMO is all you should really expect from a soundbar or even most inexpensive HTIB's.

By the way, the Vizio soundbar had the best voice and dynamics of any of the soundbars I have tried in my home (Yamaha / CT-100 / Vizio). It will also play louder than either of the other two.

David Freeman
post #9 of 9 Old 07-17-2010, 10:04 AM

Check amazon.com I just purchased the Sony HT-CT150 for $215.99. Worth $300. It sounds amazing.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page