Samsung HW-C450 / HW-C451 "AudioBars" - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-18-2011, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
By the way I have this in a bedroom and it blows away the tv sound. It does exactly what i wanted and expected. That's all I was looking for , I have a theatre room for watching movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Good points Zuk. My contention has always been that a soundbar was a device primarily to improve the terrible sound from almost all flat panel TV's. With a few exceptions, this has almost always been the case. By the way, I was not slamming the Samy. The fact that it has no obvious flaws is always praise where I am coming from. I am probably also influenced by the additional functionality on the Sony (not enough to select over my JVC) and also by the current pricing. Best Buy was selling the 150 for under 2 c-notes a couple of weeks ago. Way under. That was a really tempting buy for anyone needing a very good soundbar cheap.

David Freeman
Old 01-18-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

Good points Zuk. My contention has always been that a soundbar was a device primarily to improve the terrible sound from almost all flat panel TV's. With a few exceptions, this has almost always been the case. By the way, I was not slamming the Samy. The fact that it has no obvious flaws is always praise where I am coming from. I am probably also influenced by the additional functionality on the Sony (not enough to select over my JVC) and also by the current pricing. Best Buy was selling the 150 for under 2 c-notes a couple of weeks ago. Way under. That was a really tempting buy for anyone needing a very good soundbar cheap.

I totally understand you like the Samy , I agree with you , it does exactly what I expected. Nothing wrong with that!

You are right about the Sony , at that price I think I would have had to give the Sony a try at home.

Which JVC do you own? I take it you like the JVC better?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxeh View Post

Now I just received this soundbar yesterday and haven't had much chance to mess around with it yet after setting it up, but there's a minor, yet really annoying issue with the PS3.

Let's get a few things out of the way, first:
-PS3 is connected to the TV via HDMI and to the HW-C450 via optical.
-PS3 settings are set to output video and audio to the respective hookups.
-"Key Tone" set to "On"
-Key Tone is the click sound the PS3 makes when you move between items and lists within the XMB.
-The issue in question only happens with optical going into the Samsung unit.

When I play music or hover over game icons, run blu-rays or just about anything else within the PS3, audio plays as one would expect. The only exception is that the Key Tone isn't heard.

Despite the setting being "on," the clicks aren't audible on the soundbar unless:
-Sound is already playing, like when hovering over a game with it's splash music playing. The Key Tone is audible when moving off of it.
-I'm scrolling very fast through a very long list to the point where it zips along into a constant sound.

Also, when moving between items within the PSN store, those clicks (different from the XMB's key tones) are actually audible, but I only hear the latter half of that sound on individual clicks. If I move quickly between items, the first click sounds very different (and muffled) from the rest.(

I need help on a related issue...

I have the ps3 connected to the TV with HDMI. There is an optical cable going from the TV to the soundbar. I DO NOT have a separate optical cable going directly from PS3 to the sound bar.

I experience the same lack of the key tone. Any help from anyone would be appreciated.

I go to Audio Output Settings on the PS3. There are a few options I can select that makes the sound audible, but the PS3 says that if my sound equipment doesn't support those modes, then I can damage the speakers.

So here is a list of what is auto-selected:

- Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1 kHz
- Linear PCM 2 Ch. 48 kHz

Here is a list of the ones that I can check to make the sound work (but I worry are going to damage the sound bar, if anyone can tell me which one(s) are ok to use, that would be fantastic.

- Linear PCM 2 Ch. 88.2 kHz
- Linear PCM 2 Ch. 17.5 kHz (which auto selects the 88.2 kHz as well)
- Linear PCM 2 Ch. 96 kHz
- Linear PCM 2 Ch. 192 kHz (which auto selects the 96 kHz as well)
- Linear PCM 5.1 Ch. 88.2 kHz (which auto selects 5.1 Ch. 44.1 kHz with it)
- Linear PCM 5.1 Ch. 176.4 kHz (which auto selects 44.1 and 96)
- Linear PCM 5.1 Ch. 96 kHz (which also selects 48 kHz)
- Linear PCM 5.1 Ch. 192 kHz (auto selects 96 and 48 kHz)
- Linear PCM 7.1 Ch. 88.2 kHz (auto selects 44.1 kHz with it)
- Linear PCM 7.1 Ch. 176.4 kHz (auto selects 88.2 and 44.1 with it)
- Linear PCM 7.1 Ch. 96 kHz (auto selects 48 kHz with it)
- Linear PCM 7.1 Ch. 192 kHz (auto selects 96 kHz and 48 kHz with it)

So, selecting any of these alleviates the audio problem, but will any of them damage my speaker system? Which can I use? Thank you so much!
Old 01-19-2011, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just recently purchased this and after experimenting with the different sound field modes , trying different settings, and moving the subwoofer around, ....I'm loving it.
Wasn't that impressed at first, but now , very pleased.

The only complaint I have is the display, ...really sits at a bad angle.
Mine is difficult to read and it's s below the TV. It would be impossible to read if mounted on the wall.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringochilango View Post

I need help on a related issue...

I have the ps3 connected to the TV with HDMI. There is an optical cable going from the TV to the soundbar. I DO NOT have a separate optical cable going directly from PS3 to the sound bar.

I experience the same lack of the key tone. Any help from anyone would be appreciated.

I go to Audio Output Settings on the PS3. There are a few options I can select that makes the sound audible, but the PS3 says that if my sound equipment doesn't support those modes, then I can damage the speakers.

So here is a list of what is auto-selected:

- Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1 kHz
- Linear PCM 2 Ch. 48 kHz

Here is a list of the ones that I can check to make the sound work (but I worry are going to damage the sound bar, if anyone can tell me which one(s) are ok to use, that would be fantastic.

- Linear PCM 2 Ch. 88.2 kHz
- Linear PCM 2 Ch. 17.5 kHz (which auto selects the 88.2 kHz as well)
- Linear PCM 2 Ch. 96 kHz
- Linear PCM 2 Ch. 192 kHz (which auto selects the 96 kHz as well)
- Linear PCM 5.1 Ch. 88.2 kHz (which auto selects 5.1 Ch. 44.1 kHz with it)
- Linear PCM 5.1 Ch. 176.4 kHz (which auto selects 44.1 and 96)
- Linear PCM 5.1 Ch. 96 kHz (which also selects 48 kHz)
- Linear PCM 5.1 Ch. 192 kHz (auto selects 96 and 48 kHz)
- Linear PCM 7.1 Ch. 88.2 kHz (auto selects 44.1 kHz with it)
- Linear PCM 7.1 Ch. 176.4 kHz (auto selects 88.2 and 44.1 with it)
- Linear PCM 7.1 Ch. 96 kHz (auto selects 48 kHz with it)
- Linear PCM 7.1 Ch. 192 kHz (auto selects 96 kHz and 48 kHz with it)

So, selecting any of these alleviates the audio problem, but will any of them damage my speaker system? Which can I use? Thank you so much!

None of those will harm your soundbar. In the event you get zero sound from the soundbar, that means you are sending data that the soundbar digital processor does not know how to process. No big deal as this should not harm the soundbar, just won't play.

If you are running the PS2 to the TV and audio from TV to soundbar, your best bet would probably be the 2-ch 192khz. If you run the optical cable directly from PS2 to the soundbar, the 5.1 192khz procssing would probably be best. If your PS2 has a setting to send bit-stream signals to the soundbar, I would try this. Bit-stream will send the raw data to the soundbar and let it process in the best manner for its internal processor. Best opportunity to pick up certain sounds that may get dropped by any of the PCM formats.

David Freeman
Old 01-19-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuk109 View Post

I totally understand you like the Samy , I agree with you , it does exactly what I expected. Nothing wrong with that!

You are right about the Sony , at that price I think I would have had to give the Sony a try at home.

Which JVC do you own? I take it you like the JVC better?

Hey Zuk - yes, I currently own the JVC. Also have last year's Vizio in the Master Bedroom. The Vizio replaced a 2009 vintage Sony CT-100 which replaced a 2007 vintage Yamaha YSP. Before purchasing the JVC, I had set up two CT-150's for friends (CT-350 was not out at that time) and was impressed. Even talked one into loaning it to me for about a week. Liked certain things about it but was not completely sold, so I kept the Vizio. Purchased the JVC sight unseen based on Davyo's recommendation and very positive reviews from cNet and one other on-line publication (can't remember which). The JVC is my current preference for several reasons
  1. True 4.1 sound. The JVC actually has four true channels playing through the four speakers, plus a simluated fifth (center) channel. With output set to bit-stream on my Blu-Ray, I (and my wife and my son and his wife) am hearing things on soundtracks that were not only lost on my previous soundbars, but lost on the $20k custom surround system from my previous home (before we went small in a condo). That last sentence may be part baloney as we have been in the condo for a little over four years and good luck if I think I can really remember how my old system sounded in the old home.
  2. Bass response. Like most HTIB's or Soundbars, the JVC sub is a sub in name only. However, unlike many other subs this unit actually produces realistic sounding bass down to its LF rolloff point. This actually equals the bass response of some of the better speakers I have owned and betters those of any of the SB's I have heard nncluding the Yamaha I purchased to match the sonic characteristics of the Yamaha YSP at about double the cost of the entire JVC unit.
  3. Bass speed. This is a characteristic seldom discussed these days. In the big subs, most users are looking only for volume and very low cut-off. Some of these come off quite well, others ? The JVC gives a super quick response followed by excellent damping (control) making LF transient noises sound real and as if they are right there in the room with you. I have only experienced this type of bass response from a few speakers and subs (not all real high-end) and from one other speaker that I owned (DCM TimeWindows owned from 1977 until 1985).
Things I don't like on the JVC. Industrial looking (clunky design). Not the best simlation of surround, but this is secondary to me as my primary purpose for a soundbar is enhanced sound as opposed to the crappy sound from the TV. Besides, the ability to hear all (most?) of the sound from a soundtrack, whether mono or 9.1 multi-channel is more important to me than surround whether simulated or actual. However, except for my former home where the system was THX calibrated and a few showrooms, I have not heard too many surround systems that even approached being set up correctly.

David Freeman
Old 01-19-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:

None of those will harm your soundbar. In the event you get zero sound from the soundbar, that means you are sending data that the soundbar digital processor does not know how to process. No big deal as this should not harm the soundbar, just won't play.

If you are running the PS2 to the TV and audio from TV to soundbar, your best bet would probably be the 2-ch 192khz. If you run the optical cable directly from PS2 to the soundbar, the 5.1 192khz procssing would probably be best. If your PS2 has a setting to send bit-stream signals to the soundbar, I would try this. Bit-stream will send the raw data to the soundbar and let it process in the best manner for its internal processor. Best opportunity to pick up certain sounds that may get dropped by any of the PCM formats.

Hey I really appreciate that! Now I can get it going with the right sound. The PS3 would just tell me it would possibly harm the speakers, and knowing nothing about audio equipment I freaked out and just left them off for the time being. Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:07 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hey Zuk - yes, I currently own the JVC. Also have last year's Vizio in the Master Bedroom. The Vizio replaced a 2009 vintage Sony CT-100 which replaced a 2007 vintage Yamaha YSP. Before purchasing the JVC, I had set up two CT-150's for friends (CT-350 was not out at that time) and was impressed. Even talked one into loaning it to me for about a week. Liked certain things about it but was not completely sold, so I kept the Vizio. Purchased the JVC sight unseen based on Davyo's recommendation and very positive reviews from cNet and one other on-line publication (can't remember which). The JVC is my current preference for several reasons
  1. True 4.1 sound. The JVC actually has four true channels playing through the four speakers, plus a simluated fifth (center) channel. With output set to bit-stream on my Blu-Ray, I (and my wife and my son and his wife) am hearing things on soundtracks that were not only lost on my previous soundbars, but lost on the $20k custom surround system from my previous home (before we went small in a condo). That last sentence may be part baloney as we have been in the condo for a little over four years and good luck if I think I can really remember how my old system sounded in the old home.
  2. Bass response. Like most HTIB's or Soundbars, the JVC sub is a sub in name only. However, unlike many other subs this unit actually produces realistic sounding bass down to its LF rolloff point. This actually equals the bass response of some of the better speakers I have owned and betters those of any of the SB's I have heard nncluding the Yamaha I purchased to match the sonic characteristics of the Yamaha YSP at about double the cost of the entire JVC unit.
  3. Bass speed. This is a characteristic seldom discussed these days. In the big subs, most users are looking only for volume and very low cut-off. Some of these come off quite well, others ? The JVC gives a super quick response followed by excellent damping (control) making LF transient noises sound real and as if they are right there in the room with you. I have only experienced this type of bass response from a few speakers and subs (not all real high-end) and from one other speaker that I owned (DCM TimeWindows owned from 1977 until 1985).
Things I don't like on the JVC. Industrial looking (clunky design). Not the best simlation of surround, but this is secondary to me as my primary purpose for a soundbar is enhanced sound as opposed to the crappy sound from the TV. Besides, the ability to hear all (most?) of the sound from a soundtrack, whether mono or 9.1 multi-channel is more important to me than surround whether simulated or actual. However, except for my former home where the system was THX calibrated and a few showrooms, I have not heard too many surround systems that even approached being set up correctly.

My question is as my folks have a Sony BDP-BX37 and I believe it will only do bit stream with HDMI. (Also as this is my 85-year-old parents set with a 42" LG LED LCD TV that has only one opt dig output that then would go to the sound bar of my choice.) With all I have read and gone out and auditioned I am leaning toward the JVC THBA1 or the Boston TVEEM2OB as I am looking for a one remote (the one my parents are using now AT&T) so they will not be confused and this Sammy seems to have some issues that they would have no idea how to overcome. I also will be mounting it above the TV with a set of universal sound bar mounting brackets. I did not think the Sony 150 sounded as good and did not like the fact the IR is on the sub.
They watch Hockey, Football, Movies, and would like to play some soft music at bridge

Your thoughts on my choices would be appreciated.

There are two holes in Daddys head where all the money goes.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtexasdog View Post

My question is as my folks have a Sony BDP-BX37 and I believe it will only do bit stream with HDMI. (Also as this is my 85-year-old parents set with a 42" LG LED LCD TV that has only one opt dig output that then would go to the sound bar of my choice.) With all I have read and gone out and auditioned I am leaning toward the JVC THBA1 or the Boston TVEEM2OB as I am looking for a one remote (the one my parents are using now AT&T) so they will not be confused and this Sammy seems to have some issues that they would have no idea how to overcome. I also will be mounting it above the TV with a set of universal sound bar mounting brackets. I did not think the Sony 150 sounded as good and did not like the fact the IR is on the sub.
They watch Hockey, Football, Movies, and would like to play some soft music at bridge

Your thoughts on my choices would be appreciated.

See your other thread. Quick thoughts there with sub-notes by Irving Berlin instead of my old friend John P.

David Freeman
Old 01-28-2011, 08:51 PM

Liked: 11
I would had liked that this soundbar would be a bit smaller in height. This way I could fit it underneath my 46" Samsung flat-screen--sitting on top of it's stand. This way it would not block the TV's Remote Control sensor.

I just placed the order a few days ago, I haven't received it yet, but I am pretty sure it will block the sensor--so I will have to raise the TV stand with something and perhaps place the Soundbar in front of the stand, which will make the soundbar stick out too much on my TV desk--like shown from a picture provided above from another member.

P.S. I really love this forum! Tons of great info from almost all brands and models of audio/video electronics!

Update:

I love the sound! I keep the PASS setting on default. I prefer that one. I have mine paired up with a Samsung LN46C650 HDTV. I put it under the TV (with stand). I was afraid that it would block the TV's remote sensor, but it didn't. I am still waiting till it gets dark here, to see if it also blocks the Eco Sensor--I have no idea where it's located on my TV--update--no it doesn't block the Eco Sensor--yay!! Since the soundbar and TV are Samsung--they have the same volume IR, so I keep the internal speakers on my TV in the On position--so I would not get the error display on my screen each time I raise or lower the volume--yeah they should release a firmware to fix that on either the TV or soundbar. I have adjusted the TV speakers to be a tenth of a difference from the soundbar, this means if I raise the volume on my TV to 3, then soundbar will be a 13--this way I only hear a faint whisper from the TV's internal speakers. I keep the internal speakers adjustment to be at standard. Plus I had to adjust the PSM output delay down to -20 on my HDTV so they could be in synch, I know that the soundbar has the ability to do this adjustment, but I chose for the TV to do this for it.

I am also happy that my TV's remote control can adjust the volume to this soundbar, so that makes the whole process easier. I have all my video devices connected to my TV via HDMI, and then just send the included Optical cable to the Soundbar from the TV. I also notice that my TV's Sound presets won't be sent to the soundbar via Optical--which is great, I don't like any of them. I figure if the recording or broadcast has it, it should do it all on it's own.

I noticed that some people put the sub's woofer side against a wall or desk, please don't do that, you are blocking the woofer sound. So make sure that the side with the cloth type material is free from any obstruction--the other side that is hard, you can put that against a wall or desk if you like.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have this sound bar on my UN46C6500 TV. I opted for a sound bar instead of replacing my AV receiver in order to reduce the clutter in the LR. It works very well. Much better than the anemic speakers in the TV. My current problem with it, although not a huge one, is that on occasion it will switch to the digi 2 input. I suspect that some other RF remote signal is doing this, though it has done it when no other remote is being used.

Do you use this with the TV speakers turned off?

I also wish that the stand for the TV was a bit taller to allow the sound bar to be placed under the TV. Right now it is just in front, but the clear plastic on top of the bar reflects the TV screen.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:33 PM

I just bought one from Amazon since Best Buys around here dont have any. As soon as I get it in I was going to try the various setups. I have a Motorola Cox DVR, PS3, and 2005 Sony Wega Tv with an optical out.

I know the DVR, which is composite to the tv because hdmi is disabled on the Cox DVR, and PS3 have optical outs so I wonder how anyone has done with this bar optical from the DVR direct to the sound bar instead of going from the tv optical to sound bar.

Oh and gringochilango, did you reconnect like drfreeman60 said from PS3 optical to bar instead of ps3 - hdmi - tv - optical - sound bar, just wondering how it did.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:08 AM

It’s been my experience that going directly from each devices digital output to the sound bar gives you far better sound that running all your devices to the TV and just a single optical cable from TV to sound bar.
My set up, HD DVR to optical 1 on sound bar, Blu-ray to optical 2, TV to analog input.
Since most of what I watch is recorded, this works best for me.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:21 PM

Tks Sparky for nfo and explaining your setup.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:22 PM

Does any one have the C450/C451 and operate the volume with the Direct TV remote? I have the c-450 and getting ready to move, I will have direct TV. I do not have a stereo in this set up, just an HD-DVR, a Toshiba Regza LCD and the soundbar. I do not want to use two remotes. The issues people are having when they put in the code for the Toshiba( or any tv) the DTV remote operates the tv and the soundbar volume at the same time causing an echo. By the way, the tv is connected to the tv with an optical cable. My question is how you can get around this. The soundbar has two optical inputs, can I run a optical cable directly from the DVR to the soundbar and operate the volume that way? Will that eliminate the volume having to be controlled on the TV?

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:31 AM

deadeye1964 ... You need to set your TV to external speakers to get rid of the echo. There is no way to separate the volume control. Samsung designed it (rightly or wrongly) so the TV volume controls both. On Samsung TV's you get an error message when the volume is adjusted (many complaints about this). The soundbar does have its own volume controls but there is no documentation on how to program it using a universal remote. A Harmony remote might solve the problem but I don't find it enough of a problem to go to that expense. Some people just turn the volume down very low on the TV (instead of disabling the internal speakers) and this may work ok as well. Hope this helps.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:42 AM

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Arnold'.

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK4380632866X

Arnold: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?

Visitor: whats is the best way to connect my ps3? to TV via HDMI then to bar with toslink? or direct to bar with toslink?

Arnold: HDMI cable is the best one to connect PS3.

Visitor: the sound bar does not have hdmi inputs.

Arnold: Could you provide me with the Samsung unit model number?

Visitor: hw-c450

Arnold: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.

Arnold: Connect the PS3 directly to the TV and from the TV connect an optical cable to the sound bar.

Visitor: will this allow the sound bar to output dts and dds?

Arnold: Yes, definitely.

Visitor: the correct answer is "depends on TV output?

Arnold: When you connect an optical cable from the TV to the sound bar it will out put the surround sound.

Arnold: Not to rush you, but I haven't had a response from you. Are you still there?

Visitor: my tv like most tv's - so can only output pcm. if i use toslink from ps3 to bar will i get dts / dds?

Arnold: Yes the optical cable can output DTS.

Visitor: so i need to connect direct from ps3 to bar?

Arnold: You can either connect to the bar or from the TV to the bar.

Visitor: so theres no difference?

Arnold: No there is no difference.

Visitor: so this thing does not support dst nor dds / 5.1 - everything gets flattened to 2.1 regardless?

Arnold: Can I have the TV model number?

Visitor: samsung lnt5265f

Arnold: However the bar is 2.1 channel so the sound output is stereo.

Visitor: does the bar try to emulate 5.1 and if it does, does it need 5.1 source?

Arnold: Sorry it doesn't emulate 5.1 sound.

Visitor: so theres no processing on the bar - its just straight 2.1 no trying to process it to be "surround sound" like?

Arnold: Yes.

Arnold: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?

Visitor: why does the display read dts / dds when connected direct from source via toslink but only pcm when all dts / dds capable sources are connected to tv via hdmi then outconnected from tv to bar via toslink

Arnold: Sorry I did not understand.

Visitor: read it again slowly

Arnold: Yes it reads DTS sound but not 5.1 channel sound.

Visitor: for most dts = 5.1

Arnold: It is like DTS sound but not 5.1.

Visitor: "like" meaning it's trying to emluate?

Arnold: It is a digital sound, as in you have Tru surround sound option for TV, yes it is like emulating.

Visitor: so it's better to connect direct from ps3 to bar to feed dts?

Arnold: Yes.

Visitor: please explain what sound bar features / processes are / will be ommitted if i go from ps3 to tv via hdmi, then connect via toslink to sound bar

Arnold: Sure.

Visitor: I'm waiting

Arnold: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.

Arnold: The sound bar emits the same sound either connected from the TV or the PS3, there will be no difference.

Visitor: "Visitor: so it's better to connect direct from ps3 to bar to feed dts? Arnold: Yes."

Visitor: Was the above statement incorrect?

Arnold: You can connect in any way because ultimately it is the sound bar producing the sound.

Visitor: But - sometimes it depends on the source - if the bar can hadle better source, say DTS / DDS - it may be designed to take that the "richer source" and process. vs. just a 2.1 pass through from TV.

Visitor: so your saying this thing is just a straight 2.1 - when it reads DTS / DDS on the panel - it's just telling you the source feed - not what it's outputting?

Arnold: The bar outputs anything connected to it in a same manner.

Visitor: Thanks.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:49 AM

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK4380633367X

Arnold: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?

Visitor: I have a Samsung PN58A550 tv and the hw-c450 sound bar. When I use the tv and disable the volume to use the soundbar and then use the tv remote to adjust the volume on the soundbar, I get a large 'not available' message on the tv.

Arnold: I see that you are not connected from the U.S, let me know if you have purchased it from the U.S.

Visitor: no canada, but there is no live support in canada. Regardless, many people in the US have the exact same problem

Arnold: LiveChat support on Samsung.com is for the U.S. models only. Unfortunately, we do not have technical or troubleshooting information for non-U.S. models. For information regarding your product, I suggest checking the Samsung website for the country where the product was purchased. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Visitor: the hw-c450 is a US model

Arnold: Okay.

Visitor: me and every other US person who have that soundbar and a samsung tv want to know how to fix this

Arnold: The sound bar volume cannot be controlled using TV remote.

Visitor: of course it can, it always has been. It's a feature of the soundbar by having a samsung tv too

Arnold: Do you mean the Anynet feature?

Arnold: Not to rush you, but I haven't had a response from you. Are you still there?

Visitor: no, when you have both a samsung tv and soundbar, the tv remote is supposted to control the soundbar volume which it does. The problem is that there is always a not available message displayed on the tv when doing this, but the volume still adjusts. It's very inconvenient

Arnold: Please give me a moment while I check on that for you.

Arnold: Thank you for holding.

Arnold: Face the remote only to the sound bar, the signals should not go to the TV.

Visitor: That I know, but it's impossilbe when the soundbar is directly above my tv. The tv will always be in the direct line of path. How can that not avialabe message be disabled?

Arnold: Sorry it cannot be disabled if the sound bar is above the TV. The only way is: while operating the remote should not face TV.

Visitor: On some brand new samsung tv models, this message doesn't appear. Will any firmware updates fix this?

Visitor: Soundbars are supposed to be directly above or below tv's

Arnold: I am sorry there is no firmware for this issue.

Visitor: Is samsung doing anything to address it. There are many many forums on the internet with poeple complaining about this. It affects almost anyone who has both a samsung tv and the soundbar

Arnold: Yes, we have heard this from many customers and we have passed this issue to the concern team. Soon they will update us with the solution.

Visitor: do you have an estimate on how long it will be. This has been going on for almost a year now

Arnold: I am sorry we do not have the exact time frame for this.

Visitor: ok

Visitor: no

Arnold: Thank you for chatting with us. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!
Follow Samsung Service on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:59 AM

It is not clear whether this makes any real difference. One poster did find a difference in sound quality. I did not detect a difference. Samsung provides no clear info and support seems to suggest hooking up via TV is as good as anything (TV outputs stereo PCM). I decided to test this for myself by running an optical cable from my blu-ray to the soundbar and another optical cable from the TV to the soundbar (the blu-ray and TV are connected by HDMI). This way I could switch between the two audio sources to listen for any difference on blu-ray discs. When the blu-ray audio is direct the soundbar decodes Dolby Digital or DTS depending on the source. When the audio is fed through the TV it displays PCM (stereo). To my ears I cannot detect any significant difference. I had hoped for a better surround effect when allowing the soundbar to decode a 5.1 source. I am pleased with this unit given what it is designed to do. So connect via the TV and be satisfied with that (IMO).
Old 03-13-2011, 08:54 AM

As I have already posted in this thread. The sound for me is better when connected directly with my PS3.

This issue is probably different for everybody because most people have different TV models. Every TV processes sound differently. I have the impression that my TV (Samsung PS50A756) does a bad job in soundprocessing. The sound is much clearer and wider when connected directly to the PS3.

Ow yeah, the person behind the Live Support chat should earn some respect because people using this service think they can behave impolite.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:37 PM

Liked: 13
TVs do not pass DTS or Dolby Digital sound tracks via their optical output. If you want the best audio quality and the sound bar to process virtual surround, connect your device directly to the sound bar and enable AC-3/DTS passthrough. The TV will just resample all multi-channel audio tracks into 2.0 PCM.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big 'O' View Post

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK4380633367X

Visitor: I have a Samsung PN58A550 tv and the hw-c450 sound bar. When I use the tv and disable the volume to use the soundbar and then use the tv remote to adjust the volume on the soundbar, I get a large 'not available' message on the tv.

Arnold: I see that you are not connected from the U.S, let me know if you have purchased it from the U.S.

Visitor: no canada, but there is no live support in canada. Regardless, many people in the US have the exact same problem

Arnold: LiveChat support on Samsung.com is for the U.S. models only. Unfortunately, we do not have technical or troubleshooting information for non-U.S. models. For information regarding your product, I suggest checking the Samsung website for the country where the product was purchased. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Visitor: the hw-c450 is a US model

Arnold: Okay.

Visitor: me and every other US person who have that soundbar and a samsung tv want to know how to fix this

Arnold: The sound bar volume cannot be controlled using TV remote.

Visitor: of course it can, it always has been. It's a feature of the soundbar by having a samsung tv too

Arnold: Do you mean the Anynet feature?

Visitor: no, when you have both a samsung tv and soundbar, the tv remote is supposted to control the soundbar volume which it does. The problem is that there is always a not available message displayed on the tv when doing this, but the volume still adjusts. It's very inconvenient

Arnold: Please give me a moment while I check on that for you.

Arnold: Thank you for holding.

Arnold: Face the remote only to the sound bar, the signals should not go to the TV.

Visitor: That I know, but it's impossilbe when the soundbar is directly above my tv. The tv will always be in the direct line of path. How can that not avialabe message be disabled?

Arnold: Sorry it cannot be disabled if the sound bar is above the TV. The only way is: while operating the remote should not face TV.

Visitor: On some brand new samsung tv models, this message doesn't appear. Will any firmware updates fix this?

Visitor: Soundbars are supposed to be directly above or below tv's

Arnold: I am sorry there is no firmware for this issue.

Visitor: Is samsung doing anything to address it. There are many many forums on the internet with poeple complaining about this. It affects almost anyone who has both a samsung tv and the soundbar

Arnold: Yes, we have heard this from many customers and we have passed this issue to the concern team. Soon they will update us with the solution.

Visitor: do you have an estimate on how long it will be. This has been going on for almost a year now

Arnold: I am sorry we do not have the exact time frame for this.

Visitor: ok

Visitor: no

Arnold: Thank you for chatting with us. If you have a minute, please click on the blue X close button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!
Follow Samsung Service on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.

where abouts in canada you from bro. Smart of you to use the USA online support, on the samsung.ca site there is virtually NO way to contact Samsung except by phone.

So I called them 2 times today complaining about the very same issue and made it a point to mention that my 6400 plasma and my HW-C450 soundbar are both samsung products and one would logicallly think they would work flawlessly together NO?

lol I just basically told the dude on the phone to tell Samsung about this issue and release a firmware fix OR I will call again and again and again and again.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:40 AM

I'm in Toronto.
I called them months ago and they said others complained and they were looking into it. Eventually they emailed me that it still hasn't been resolved after I emailed them over and over too.
I doubt it will be fixed, but hopefully rogers will eventually have a code on the remote that will change the volume on the soundbar instead of using the volume for the tv on the rogers remote.

I waited so long to choose a soundbar, but at the end of the day, there really was only the samsung in canada back then.

The not available message isn't even the most frustrating bug. The ghost changing the inputs is even worse. It happens sometimes when I turn it on and it's not on the same unput, or even while I"m watching, it magivally changes from input 1 to 2.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big 'O' View Post

I'm in Toronto.
I called them months ago and they said others complained and they were looking into it. Eventually they emailed me that it still hasn't been resolved after I emailed them over and over too.
I doubt it will be fixed, but hopefully rogers will eventually have a code on the remote that will change the volume on the soundbar instead of using the volume for the tv on the rogers remote.

I waited so long to choose a soundbar, but at the end of the day, there really was only the samsung in canada back then.

The not available message isn't even the most frustrating bug. The ghost changing the inputs is even worse. It happens sometimes when I turn it on and it's not on the same unput, or even while I"m watching, it magivally changes from input 1 to 2.

That sucks, I only use one optic line on the soundbar although reading this thread I might try 2 outputs (one more for the PS3) hopely I don't inherit a ghost lol.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:58 PM

I have 1 from my digital cable to the soundbar as I use that the most, then the 2nd from my tv to the soundbar which has my ps3, media player and other stuff into the tv.

Damn ghost shows up like 3 times a week.
Most of the time it's when you turn the tv on, it switches to input 2, but sometimes in the middle of watching tv it does that too. It's kind of annowing since you can't read the label on the soundbar from it's unusual position on the device, and you aren't sure if the cable broadcast went on mute. From my experience, I now know it's never the cable and always the soundbar playing tricks on me.

I'm like.."Good job Samsung, you got me again! Maybe one day I'll play a joke on you."
Old 04-02-2011, 07:49 PM

Occasionally, when I turn the sound bar off, instead of the lights going off, they all get very bright.
I usually just unplug it , then plug it back in and the problem is resolved.

Anyone else ?
Old 04-26-2011, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I just picked one of these up. I enjoy the convenience it provides as well as a clean alternative to typical 5.1 setup (that's down in the movie room). Has anyone calibrated the subwoofer? I used the Avia disc to adjust the level of the subwoofer and noticed when it plays the test tone for the sub, there is some crackling coming from the speakers. My guess is that it's just some crossover mixing and that the speakers are mixing a bit with the sub.

-Greg
Old 05-20-2011, 11:53 AM

For all HW-C450 owners
there has been a firmware update that was just posted today
I could luckily find out lol

Im away from home so I couldnt try this yet but
the firmware's description clearly says

< HW-C45* Firmware >

This Firmware update provides the following benefits:

Ver.10011 May.20.2011
- Improved stability of soundbar system

You can find these files from the following link
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/HW-C450/XAA

I hope this helps everyone with c450 problems
Old 05-22-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the heads up. Has anyone done the update ^?

-Greg

Tags
Samsung Un40c6300 40 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Tv Graphite
Gear in this thread