Best way to connect TV, soundbar and BD player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-31-2010, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a soundbar and BD player for my relatively new TV. The model numbers are:

Samsung LN55C630 TV
Samsung HT-WS1G Soundbar
Sony BDP-S570

I originally connected the soundbar via its optial cable to the TV, and the BD via HDMI to the TV. I then configured the TV for "external speakers". This worked in that I could get sound either via normal TV and through the BD player. The problem is the sound is very soft for voices and loud for FX. We have to turn the volume up to hear the actors but then any other sounds are very loud. I realize I shouldn't expect the greatest audio from the soundbar but at this point it's nearly useless as we either suffer from too soft, too loud or have to keep adjusting the volume as the scene changes.

I'm hoping there's something in one of the device settings or the cable configuration to help resolve this. I read elsewhere that it is better to hook the soundbar directly to the BD player but when I do that the TV can't use it anymore. Or at least, I can't figure out how to make it work. I'm a novice for all this so help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-02-2010, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
David

Actually using optical, the sound you get should be the same (or indistinguishable) whether output from the TV or BDP.

What you are probably hearing is the sound as it is formatted on the DVD or BD.

Some soundbars (or maybe your TV) have adjustments to emphasize voice over music and FX. You sould probably check this.

I have had a number of soundbars from very expensive (Yamaha Sound Projector) to cheap (Vizio). I am currently using the Vizio because it reproduces voice better than any other I have tried as well as having the best dynamics.

I am not trying to convince you to try the Vizio, but if the Samsung does not offer the proper adjustments to balance your sound, maybe you should consider returning it and trying something different. There should be a number of other units in the same price category as the Samsung that offer the sound you are looking for.

David Freeman
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page