IMPULSE BUY: Niro Spherical Surround System (SSS) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-09-2010, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got back from Magnolia, where I went to have a look at TVs, and asked about sound bars. I've got a Yamaha YSP-4000 + sub en route to the house already, but figured I'd ask anyway. The gentleman walked me over to his last Niro Spherical Sound System (SSS), and swore it to be the best (pseudo) single-source solution around. Way better than the Yammy, allegedly. He turned it on, and I was pretty blown away. Granted, environment always plays a part, but I bought it on the spot (smokin' open box deal). Once the Yamaha gets here, I'll run them next to each other to see who wins.

Should be fun...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-09-2010, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Dang it, this does look interesting.

I lived for two years with a Yamaha Sound Projector costing about what this goes for and replaced it with a Vizio sound bar and have been happy. Based on what I am reading, it sounds as if this has the potential to do for surround what the Yamaha only simulated (poorly).

Let us know your impressions when you can compare both.

David Freeman
post #3 of 9 Old 06-09-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Will do. Point of reference, I bought it for $1,086, including a four year extended warranty. My YSP cost $909 with the sub, no extended warranty. So relatively close in overall spend.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-09-2010, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Thanks for posting the info on the new Niro,,, did not even know this new model exisited,,,,, and yes,,, it does look very interesting,,,, and very much looking forward to your comparison of it to the YSP.

The audio demos on the Niro website were impressive as well,,,,and given the fact I was listening to the clips thru my laptop speakers it still sounded good.

Cheers
Davyo
post #5 of 9 Old 06-10-2010, 03:44 PM

I bought the Niro1.1Pro when it first came out some years ago. I paid $850 for it at the time. The DVD player was great, the sound system was very clear, and the floor subwoofer could shake the windows if you turned the volume up. Of course this was before html connections, blu-ray players, and the like. Today, it sits in a box. I'm patiently waiting for the Vizio VHT512 to arrive on the scene. Anybody want a Niro1.1Pro?
post #6 of 9 Old 06-10-2010, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedddd View Post

I bought the Niro1.1Pro when it first came out some years ago. I paid $850 for it at the time. The DVD player was great, the sound system was very clear, and the floor subwoofer could shake the windows if you turned the volume up. Of course this was before html connections, blu-ray players, and the like. Today, it sits in a box. I'm patiently waiting for the Vizio VHT512 to arrive on the scene. Anybody want a Niro1.1Pro?

Your Niro has HTML connections,,,, Wow !!!!,,,, (sorry, I couldnt resist)

Cheers
Davyo
post #7 of 9 Old 06-11-2010, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

The SSS does NOT have HDMI. Toslink and component. I've got the DVR connected via component, and the DVD and AppleTV connected via the Toslink. No html, either...bummer.

Still waiting on the YSP. Will post a comparison after it arrives.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-18-2010, 11:55 PM

Davyo

Regarding "The audio demos on the Niro website were impressive"

I was just wondering how an audio system could be tested or even appreciated through a home system...be it a laptop or the best HT system. Why even make downloadable audio files for demonstrations...? Kinda reminds me of when HDTV was new and the manufacturers advertised the picture quality via commercials streamed to my CRT. Don't really understand how this could give anyone an idea as to what the system is capable of doing.
David
post #9 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedddd View Post

I have a 1.1 and replaced the electronics unit with the one from the 800 and added on a Sharp BD-HP20U blu-ray disc player. Works great. I don't know for sure, but I suspect you could do the same thing with the 600 or 1000 units they now sell. Anyone with a 1.1 lying around, I would suggest you call them up and find out what your options are. No point in throwing away a $multi-100 speaker system.

SF
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Yamaha Ysp 4000bl Digital Sound Projector Black
Gear in this thread - 4000bl by PriceGrabber.com