Harmony Remote with Vizio Soundbar? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-05-2010, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i am finishing a remodel in my family room. I am looking at a soundbar, but must have wireless sub. I am thinking Vizio, since the consensus is that this is a good, wireless sub soundbar.

I need to make sure operation is as simple as possible. Is anyone using this with a Harmony or other programmable remote? If I have to have a separate remote to adjust the volume, the soundbar is out.

Any comments/feedback is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-06-2010, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
I am using a Vizio soundbar with Logitech Harmony remote. All works without problem. The Logitech remote is able to find the soundbar better than its own remote. However, either remote needs to be aimed more or less at the IR receiver on the soundbar. TV, DVR and Blu-Ray seem to pick up remote signals if the remote is aimed anywhere in their general direction. The Vizio is a little more contrary. Not really a slam on the Vizio, just an ocdassional annoyance. Also, my wife does not seem to have this problem. Maybe I'm just not holding my mouth right.

David Freeman
post #3 of 9 Old 07-06-2010, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Did you get the codes from the Harmony database? What Harmony remote do you have? Not really a fan of Harmony, but probably the best alternative to what I use in my HT. I like to use discrete codes. Harmony seems to be difficult in this respect - at least the one my brother-in-law has. He has the 810.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-06-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I am at work, but I think the Harmony is a 550.

I did not use discrete codes. Connected the Harmony to my PC, opened the Harmony software and told it my hardware then configured activities. Examples:

Watch DVR - when selected

Powers on Scientific Atlanta DVR
Powers on Panasonic Plasma TV
Powers on Vizio Soundbar

Channel change and recorded content playback are handled correctly by the DVR. Picture controls are handled by the TV. Volume and sound functions handled by the soundbar.

Watch DVD - when selected

Powers on Panasonic Blu-Ray player
Powers on Panasonic Plasma TV
Powers on Vizio Soundbar

Motion and Play functions handled by Blu-Ray player. Picture control by TV. Audio by soundbar.

I have not had the neccessity to look up any discrete codes as all functions have been handled correctly by Logitechs extensive database.

For each activity I have added additional functionality telling the software the function I wanted, which device handled the fuction and selecting the function from the on-screen list.

The unit definitely simplified my viewing.

David Freeman
post #5 of 9 Old 07-06-2010, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info. I have found that if I don't use discrete codes, things can get out of synch - then I get the panic call when I am out of town that the system is not working correctly. I will check it out.

I am assuming that you are happy with the Vizio. Is that correct?
post #6 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Extremely pleased with the Vizio. Of the three soundbars that I have owned (Yamaha and Sony being the other two), the Vizio has the best dynamic range and will play louder than either of the others. With music it seems much closer to high fidelity than either of the others plus at a fraction of the price.

David Freeman
post #7 of 9 Old 07-09-2010, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

drfreeman60

What model do you have? I need one with a wireless sub.

Was looking at the Samsung 450, since I will be getting the 55C6500.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-10-2010, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Vizio Vsb200 with a Yamaha wired sub-woofer from a previous Yamaha Sound Projector (their fancy name for their fancy soundbar). I have seen the Samsung units in the store and they look nice and clean. Since I haven't heard one in a home environment I wouldn't comment on how well they sound. But most of these units sound pretty good and almost all sound far superior to any internal TV speakers. The Samsung may mate better with their TV.

To me, the two most important qualities when looking for a soundbar are clarity of voices and dynamic range, the difference between the loudest and softest passages and how quickly the drivers respond to the changes. My very expensive Yamaha while having nice sound quality had terrible dynamic range and always sounded a bit muffled. I used only the 2.1 or 3.1 mode as the various surround modes seemed to make the dynamics even worse.

David Freeman
post #9 of 9 Old 11-13-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTSteve View Post

Thanks for the info. I have found that if I don't use discrete codes, things can get out of synch - then I get the panic call when I am out of town that the system is not working correctly. I will check it out.

I am assuming that you are happy with the Vizio. Is that correct?
Harmony remotes don't use discrete codes, all you do is enter the name and model number of the equipment you want to control.
I have a Harmony One remote and its the best remote I've ever owned.

I have the Vizio VSB210 soundbar with wireless sub and it has very good sound.
Reply Soundbars