Went to Target and tried to buy a Vizio soundbar. There was a - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 07-06-2010, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
model on the shelf and I put in my cart. (not sure the exact #) It was priced at $249.99. When I got to the checkout the lady scans it and says "this isn't supposed to for sale yet". She calls the manager over and he calls the electronics guy over and the end result is I don't leave with the soundbar. Apparently Target is not supposed to sell these until July 25th. I didn't cause a stink over it, but I should have angled for some kind of special price when it does go on sale, but I wasn't in the mood to feign indigence. Weird stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 07-06-2010, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I was in Target today and just for fun I tried to buy the Vizio as well (the VHT210) took it off the shelf, put in the cart, drove up to the register, they scanned it and it was flagged as Not For Sale "yet",,,,, July 25th I was told as well.

On a side note,,, the box with the bar and the sub is very light,,,, much lighter by far than the current Vizio bar with sub.

Weighs at least half of what the current soundbar/sub does.

Cheers
Davyo
post #3 of 34 Old 07-08-2010, 09:22 AM

That's really funny. Keep trying, maybe you can talk someone new into letting you buy it.

Always looking for fellow Austin home theater enthusiasts.
post #4 of 34 Old 07-10-2010, 08:59 PM

i work at target and I know of the issue, very weird that they put a hard lock on it. Today I got a email stating it is for a display going up in the following weeks and it is not meant to be sold but will be selling them in the future.
post #5 of 34 Old 07-11-2010, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boominthetrunk View Post

i work at target and I know of the issue, very weird that they put a hard lock on it. Today I got a email stating it is for a display going up in the following weeks and it is not meant to be sold but will be selling them in the future.

Hi,,, some Target questions for you.

Do you happen to know if Target is getting both soundbars in,, the VHT210 and the VHT510 ?

We have been told by Target that the 25th is the sale date,,, do you know any different ?

Thanks much in advance.

Cheers
Davyo
post #6 of 34 Old 07-11-2010, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin S. View Post

...but I wasn't in the mood to feign indigence.

Just for fun, you should look up "indigence."

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #7 of 34 Old 07-13-2010, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Is Target going to be the only B&M to sell it, or does anybody know if Walmart/Costco will get it as well?

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for chrissake!
post #8 of 34 Old 07-13-2010, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Just for fun, you should look up "indigence."

Love your sig rdclark! This kind of stuff drives me crazy as well. Another is everybody's challenge with the use of "there" vs "their" vs "they're". What are the schools teaching these days?

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for chrissake!
post #9 of 34 Old 07-19-2010, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post

Love your sig rdclark! This kind of stuff drives me crazy as well. Another is everybody's challenge with the use of "there" vs "their" vs "they're". What are the schools teaching these days?

Depends. I can't vouch for all schools, but it DOES look like Smart Ass U is punching them out in record numbers!

If we are going to nail somebody for their choices in grammar, spelling, or general use of english, then maybe you should reconsider starting a sentence with a verb, OR possibly starting an private forum NOT available to the general public. (Every day could be like a SAU frat reunion!)

Something to think on...
post #10 of 34 Old 07-20-2010, 06:38 AM

I think I saw this one at walmart. It is not on their website though.
post #11 of 34 Old 07-20-2010, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroddr32 View Post

Depends. I can't vouch for all schools, but it DOES look like Smart Ass U is punching them out in record numbers!

If we are going to nail somebody for their choices in grammar, spelling, or general use of english, then maybe you should reconsider starting a sentence with a verb, OR possibly starting an private forum NOT available to the general public. (Every day could be like a SAU frat reunion!)

Something to think on...

You're overreacting.

I pointed out, with a smile, that the OP probably didn't mean to say he was pretending to be a homeless person. CSonntag responded to my sig. Nobody "nailed" anyone, or tried to, except possibly you.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #12 of 34 Old 07-20-2010, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurandavid View Post

I think I saw this one at walmart. It is not on their website though.

I would be very suprised if it was the VHT210 you saw at Wally's,,,,, Wallys sold, and still does sel,l the older current Vizio bar, but as far as I know they will not be selling the newer Vizio.

Cheers
Davyo
post #13 of 34 Old 07-20-2010, 07:45 AM

Maybe it was not this one, but it was hard to find a model number. To me the box was very, very light compared to the samsung they had. It was 279.99.

Here is the one at walmart they had

http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-spe....html?tag=also
post #14 of 34 Old 07-20-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:

Maybe it was not this one, but it was hard to find a model number. To me the box was very, very light compared to the samsung they had. It was 279.99.

Here is the one at walmart they had

http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-spe....html?tag=also

That is last year's model (that many of us have in one form or another). This year's model goes on sale Sunday at Target. Have not heard or seen it as of this time.

David Freeman
post #15 of 34 Old 07-20-2010, 12:39 PM

Does anyone have an idea of what the price may be or if it will be on sale?
post #16 of 34 Old 07-20-2010, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone have an idea of what the price may be or if it will be on sale?

$249. is the price at Target and on Amazon.

Cheers
Davyo
post #17 of 34 Old 07-20-2010, 02:26 PM

I heard my target had a VHT210 today on display, so I went by after work and I asked the salesman I spoke with if they had any in stock yet. He told me they sent 2; one for display and the other to sell. When he found out about the July 25 deal, he simply said, "I can fix that if you want it." So here it is:

[IMG][/IMG]

I about crapped myself when he said he'd let me have it. They just manually did a misc.sale and told me if I should choose to return it that would be no issue. Made my day! I'll get this wired up shortly and get back with you all for a small review.
post #18 of 34 Old 07-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I heard my target had a VHT210 today on display, so I went by after work and I asked the salesman I spoke with if they had any in stock yet. He told me they sent 2; one for display and the other to sell. When he found out about the July 25 deal, he simply said, "I can fix that if you want it." So here it is:

[IMG][/IMG]

I about crapped myself when he said he'd let me have it. They just manually did a misc.sale and told me if I should choose to return it that would be no issue. Made my day! I'll get this wired up shortly and get back with you all for a small review.

HAHAH nice, now tell us what you think of it
post #19 of 34 Old 07-20-2010, 03:51 PM

Does this model have HDMI inputs or no?
post #20 of 34 Old 07-20-2010, 04:06 PM

Uh,well-not impressed so far. I have it hooked up to my blu-ray, and I've gone through the books, and still can't get anything from the subwoofer. The led is showing they are linked but nothing is coming out. The soundbar itself sounds pretty good. Just the sub is an issue. Im gonna try the helpline and try them out before I spend all evening getting frustrated.

Oh, sorry. No HDMI. One Optical, one RCA. Thats my other issue. How am I gonna hook it up to my HD box and my Bluray?
post #21 of 34 Old 07-20-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:

Uh,well-not impressed so far. I have it hooked up to my blu-ray, and I've gone through the books, and still can't get anything from the subwoofer. The led is showing they are linked but nothing is coming out. The soundbar itself sounds pretty good. Just the sub is an issue. Im gonna try the helpline and try them out before I spend all evening getting frustrated.

Oh, sorry. No HDMI. One Optical, one RCA. Thats my other issue. How am I gonna hook it up to my HD box and my Bluray?

Well you can just hook everything up to your TV, and then run the one optical cable from the soundbar to the TV.
post #22 of 34 Old 07-20-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Are there any type of adjustment knobs on the sub itself?1
post #23 of 34 Old 07-21-2010, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually one thing to try when hooking it up is running a optical directly from a BluRay or HD cable box and see (and tell us) how it sounds.
Reason its a good idea to do this is the Vizio will decode Dolby Digital and your TV's optical might not pass DD,,, if your TV only pass's 2.1 stereo thru the optical then you wont be hearing what the Vizio can really do.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Vizio after ya get it up and running with the sub working.

Cheers
Davyo
post #24 of 34 Old 07-21-2010, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Actually one thing to try when hooking it up is running a optical directly from a BluRay or HD cable box and see (and tell us) how it sounds.
Reason its a good idea to do this is the Vizio will decode Dolby Digital and your TV's optical might not pass DD,,, if your TV only pass's 2.1 stereo thru the optical then you wont be hearing what the Vizio can really do.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Vizio after ya get it up and running with the sub working.

Cheers
Davyo

Davyo,Thats the route I took. I tried the HD box first, then moved to the blu-ray. I waited on the phone line for like 20 minutes last night for help with the SW, and just got tired/frustrated even more so I'll look at it again this evening. I was in a bit of a rush trying to throw things together last night, so when things didn't work right out of the box, I got put up with it pretty quick.

I had no luck with running the optical out of the tv. My tv is a bit old, a sony KDL-46S2010 which is the neighborhood of 5 years. I have my HD cable box ran with to the tv with component cables, and the pana blu-ray takes up the lone hdmi plug. I will check in after work for any other suggestions posted after this one, and hopefully have better feedback on the soundbar and SW. Sorry.

The SW has no adjustment knobs, just a link button and a power switch.It is a small thing too, only 10-12"high and 8-10" wide. Kinda cheap looking to me. Off to a wonderful day @ work! Whatever.
post #25 of 34 Old 07-21-2010, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Davyo,Thats the route I took. I tried the HD box first, then moved to the blu-ray. I waited on the phone line for like 20 minutes last night for help with the SW, and just got tired/frustrated even more so I'll look at it again this evening. I was in a bit of a rush trying to throw things together last night, so when things didn't work right out of the box, I got put up with it pretty quick.

I had no luck with running the optical out of the tv. My tv is a bit old, a sony KDL-46S2010 which is the neighborhood of 5 years. I have my HD cable box ran with to the tv with component cables, and the pana blu-ray takes up the lone hdmi plug. I will check in after work for any other suggestions posted after this one, and hopefully have better feedback on the soundbar and SW. Sorry.

The SW has no adjustment knobs, just a link button and a power switch.It is a small thing too, only 10-12"high and 8-10" wide. Kinda cheap looking to me. Off to a wonderful day @ work! Whatever.

I thought the remote had the sub adjustments when you slide the remote open ?

Yea, the best way to find out how the Vizio is going to sound is by running the optical right from the BluRay to the bar,,, and also check your BluRay audio settings,,, bitstream vs PCM and what ever other audio settings your BD player has.
Even if you cant get the sub working it still might be interesting to see and hear how "good or not so good" the suround effect of just the bar is.

I think I will go to my local Target as see if I can talk them into selling me one as well (before that July 25th date).

Cheers
Davyo
post #26 of 34 Old 07-21-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:

Tried the same thing at my local Target but they refused to do a misc. sale for me. You truly are very lucky!
post #27 of 34 Old 07-21-2010, 11:19 AM

I was @ target this morning to check out the vizio, it looks very sleek vs. the older model. The bar is about 32" long now vs. 40", and the sub is smaller too. I didn't see any stock on the sales floor, bet they were all in the stockroom.
post #28 of 34 Old 07-21-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

I thought the remote had the sub adjustments when you slide the remote open ?

Even if you cant get the sub working it still might be interesting to see and hear how "good or not so good" the suround effect of just the bar is.

The remote does have a sub-adjustment. (Too bad the sub don't work.)As far as the bar itself goes, I think it sounds great. I just need more oomph too it.Hopefully I can get something from Vizio today.

Cheers
Davyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluu View Post

Tried the same thing at my local Target but they refused to do a misc. sale for me. You truly are very lucky!

I thought so at first...Not so sure now. Im trying to figure out which bar Im gonna exchange it for if I decide to take it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viziodood View Post

I was @ target this morning to check out the vizio, it looks very sleek vs. the older model. The bar is about 32" long now vs. 40", and the sub is smaller too. I didn't see any stock on the sales floor, bet they were all in the stockroom.

Mine wasn't on the floor.I just asked if they had any yet and that I wanted to check out some specifics on it, so him and the manager went back, brought it out and after he found out he couldn't sell it because of a back date, he just went off on somebody on the phone. Apparently, they were pushed and shoved by corporate somebody into putting up this display for the 210, and when this happened,he lost it. I thought it was cool.
post #29 of 34 Old 07-21-2010, 02:08 PM

Alright. Finally got a call to vizio. They have determined that there are communication problems between the bar and sub. They suggested trying exchanging it at the store, or if they don't have another, they will send out a label for me to return and send me a new one. Just my luck!

Now the decision is on. Try one of the sony's, the samsung 450, or stick to what I have?
post #30 of 34 Old 07-21-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:

Alright. Finally got a call to vizio. They have determined that there are communication problems between the bar and sub. They suggested trying exchanging it at the store, or if they don't have another, they will send out a label for me to return and send me a new one. Just my luck!

Now the decision is on. Try one of the sony's, the samsung 450, or stick to what I have?

First one sold doesn't work? Lmao, I'll pass. Kind of want HDMI anyways.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page