Soundbar as PA system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-07-2010, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This probably isn't the best place to pose this question, but I'm hoping for some insight (especially on sound quality). I have a PA system that I use for parties for family and friends, playing music and karaoke. I've also played a few small gigs with it when I used to be in a band. It consists of a 5 channel Peavey powered mixer with two 15" Peavey speakers. I also have a bunch of other related stuff (Mackie 16 channel mixer, mics, cables, etc.).

What I want to do is pare this setup down in size and weight (I'm getting old!) while maintaining or improving the sound quality. I have a Sony HT-CT100 soundbar for my home theater which I really like. I've been wondering if I could get away with using a more powerful version of this setup for a PA system, maybe the CT350 or CT500 or other similar setup. Bose has something similar for PA work, but they are very expensive.

Any thoughts on this? I'd like to start up another band to play some gigs, but the thought of lugging heavy PA equipment up and down stairs is giving me nightmares.

Thanks!
jawgee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-07-2010, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawgee View Post

This probably isn't the best place to pose this question, but I'm hoping for some insight (especially on sound quality). I have a PA system that I use for parties for family and friends, playing music and karaoke. I've also played a few small gigs with it when I used to be in a band. It consists of a 5 channel Peavey powered mixer with two 15" Peavey speakers. I also have a bunch of other related stuff (Mackie 16 channel mixer, mics, cables, etc.).

What I want to do is pare this setup down in size and weight (I'm getting old!) while maintaining or improving the sound quality. I have a Sony HT-CT100 soundbar for my home theater which I really like. I've been wondering if I could get away with using a more powerful version of this setup for a PA system, maybe the CT350 or CT500 or other similar setup. Bose has something similar for PA work, but they are very expensive.

Any thoughts on this? I'd like to start up another band to play some gigs, but the thought of lugging heavy PA equipment up and down stairs is giving me nightmares.

Thanks!
jawgee

This a fine place to post your questions,,, Im a working musician and also run sound for bands once in a while.

The answer to using a soundbar for what your wanting to do with it,,,, no,,, sorry, but you will blow it up.

If your looking for some advice on what to get for a small, cheap, easy to load and easy to run PA system I can help with that.

PM me some information, such as, what kinda gigs your doing, how big of rooms, how many peice band,, and all that stuff,,,, and I can recomend some PA systems for you to take a look at.

Cheers
Davyo
post #3 of 3 Old 07-09-2010, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply, Davyo. So even with a brick wall limiter you think there's a chance in blowing up a soundbar system?

I'll PM the details of what I have now and what I'm looking for (and not looking for). Thanks for helping me out.

Thanks,
jawgee
Reply Soundbars