Soundbar volume question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-10-2010, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do all soundbars only control the volume with their own remote or are there any that allow you to control it with the TV volume controls if I have it plugged directly into the TV? Not sure if it matters on the TV but its a Samsung LN26B460.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-10-2010, 10:40 AM

Liked: 11
Hi Otto, Boston Acoustics TVee and Polk IHT soundbars can be programed to your existing TV remote. Not only volume, but mute as well. Not sure about other soundbar models.

With both the above systems, you would go into the Samsung's menu and turn off internal speakers. But because you own a Samsung there is a catch. Whenever you press volume or mute on the remote, you will receive a "Not Available" message for about three seconds on screen. The commands should work fine, but you will have to put up with the error message.

Polk includes a credit card remote you can program for these commands, thus avoiding the error messages. Personally, the error message doesn't bother me. I generally set the volume once at the beginning of movies/TV shows and that's it. My soundbar is part of a bedroom setup, so using just one remote (Samsung) is a huge plus.

And yes, these models plug directly into your TV, and work seamlessly with all your sources.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-11-2010, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-18-2010, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Going back and rereading this I found I didnt correctly explain my set-up. I actually use a Directv remote to control the volume on my tv. So I guess the real question I have is can I control any soundbar's volume with my Directv remote?
post #5 of 7 Old 07-19-2010, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Otto - I have kept up with a number of these threads and it seems that when it comes to content supplier remotes (Direct / Dish / Comcast / TW / etc.) most have difficulty with codes for soundbars. This has been my experience with soundbars from Yamaha, Sony and Vizio with my content (Comcast) as well as my son's (Direct and now AT&T uVerse).

Our solution was for dad to buy universal remotes from Logitech. Best $100 you will ever spend. Makes wives and mothers extremely happy to touch one button and power everything up and have it all work exactly as it is supposed to.

David Freeman
post #6 of 7 Old 07-19-2010, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input drfreeman. I was hoping I could get by without buying another logitech remote but that seems to be out of the question. I always seem to lose my directv remote in the sheets somehow on my bed and pair that with another seperate volume remote and that's a deal breaker. Looks like if I want a soundbar for my bedroom I am going to drop some more dough on a Logitech remote.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-27-2010, 01:09 PM

I've gotten the Sony CT150 to work with my Comcast remote (programmed as the AUX).

I have even taken it one step further and it now works without having to press AUX first (meaning - it automatically knows to use AUX with volume when under CABLE controls)...
Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page