YSP-3050 Unimpressed? How would ZVOX stack up... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-14-2010, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just received my YSP-3050, given that it is supposed to be a 1,000 dollar unit - I was expecting the sound to be somewhat impressive. Granted I have not done the microphone room calibration yet, etc... I only tried it on my ipod

It just did not seem to get very loud, and the bass was unimpressive. Would I be better off going with a ZVOX system, the form factor of those units is also pretty compelling....anyone have any experience with the ZVOX 575? How would it stack up sound wise to YSP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-14-2010, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonwit904 View Post

Just received my YSP-3050, given that it is supposed to be a 1,000 dollar unit - I was expecting the sound to be somewhat impressive. Granted I have not done the microphone room calibration yet, etc... I only tried it on my ipod

It just did not seem to get very loud, and the bass was unimpressive. Would I be better off going with a ZVOX system, the form factor of those units is also pretty compelling....anyone have any experience with the ZVOX 575? How would it stack up sound wise to YSP?

If you not done the mic calibration yet and have only run your ipod thru it you have even scratched the surface of seeing what it sounds like or what it can do.

The YSP's are great systems and can put out some killer sound,,, you have done nothing to check it out,,,, no wonder you are not impressed.
Ya dont just turn on the YSP, plug in your ipod and say, ok, thats it.

To be honest, Im kinda shocked by your posting,,,,, you didnt read the manual Im guessing, didnt set-up the YSP properly, didnt run anything thru it like a BluRay player or HD cable, did not hook up a sub to it,,,, it would seem you did nothing to even give the YSP a chance and now your asking how another system would compare to the one your barely turned on and didnt even check out.

Here is my advice,,, hook a sub up to the YSP, hook-up a BD or a DVD player to it, hook it up to your TV, read the manual, run the room calibration with the mic and at least give the YSP some kind of chance before posting that you are not impressed with it.

Cheers
Davyo
post #3 of 5 Old 07-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonwit904 View Post

You have to have a subwoofer with any YSP. No way around it. And it must be well calibrated for the room.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-14-2010, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
There are better and cheaper solutions than the Yamaha or Zvox. Even after calibration, the Yamaha will be lacking in volume and dynamics. The Yamaha excels with simulated surround sound and frequency response, but without proper dynamics, my feelings are that these attributes are wasted.

I have owned a YSP from several years ago as well as both a CT100 Sony and the cheap Vizio soundbar. Both outperformed the Yamaha on the attributes that were important to me, voices and dynamics.

Remember that a soundbar is to improve the sound over the built-in internal speakers from your television. If given a choice between good 2.1 or 3.1 and mediocre surround, good beats mediocre every time.

David Freeman
post #5 of 5 Old 07-25-2010, 03:37 PM

Liked: 10
David,

What would you suggest in lieu of Yamaha 3050? Thanks.

Ken
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page