Vizio 210, 210WS or Sony HT-CT350 - cast your vote! - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: What is the best option?
Vizio 210 0 0%
Vizio 210WS 0 0%
Sony HT-CT350 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-17-2010, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What does everyone think?

I noticed the Vizio 210 has no HDMI or Dolby decoding. Cnet also was slightly unfavorable to the 210 while the HT-CT100 got great reviews.

It seems to be a toss up. I, and I assume like many, can get the HT-CT350 at a reasonable price where the 210WS and I assume the 210 would not be much more.

Personally, I think it's difficult to discern what is better while being in a store, so I think public opinion from personal experience is vital.

Just about all movies and most TV channels support Dolby. Why doesn't Vizio offer this decoding, and will it make a big difference?

I sound set on Sony which I sort of am, but am interested in Vizio because everyone likes their sound bars!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-17-2010, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
A bit confussing on which Vizio your including in your poll.

There is the VSB200, VSB210WS and the soon to be released VHT210 (it includes the wirless sub but does not use the "WS" in the model number),,, the confussion is, did you mean to list the current VSB200 when you typed in Vizio 210 ?

Using the entire, correct model number might get you better response to your poll and post,,,,, VSB or VHT.

Cheers
Davyo
post #3 of 12 Old 07-17-2010, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

A bit confussing on which Vizio your including in your poll.

There is the VSB200, VSB210WS and the soon to be released VHT210 (it includes the wirless sub but does not use the "WS" in the model number),,, the confussion is, did you mean to list the current VSB200 when you typed in Vizio 210 ?

Using the entire, correct model number might get you better response to your poll and post,,,,, VSB or VHT.

Cheers
Davyo

I meant the VHT210 and VSB210WS. They both have a wireless subwoofer, but I didn't know if the 210WS would be preferred to the older model since the 210WS has a bigger subwoofer and 8" wider sound bar.

I like CNET a lot, and they really liked the earlier Sony model while they were tough on Vizio. I do know, however, that you can't always trust review sites.

Davyo - you seem to be pretty smart on sound bars.

I saw you really like the HT-CT150, and it appears to be identical to the HT-CT350 except for being a little smaller, a little less power, and costs less. From a reputable internet store with Bing cashback I can save a Benjamin.

Without concern for price, is the 150 the way to go?
post #4 of 12 Old 07-18-2010, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something_Soft View Post

Davyo - you seem to be pretty smart on sound bars.

I saw you really like the HT-CT150, and it appears to be identical to the HT-CT350 except for being a little smaller, a little less power, and costs less. From a reputable internet store with Bing cashback I can save a Benjamin.

Without concern for price, is the 150 the way to go?

Hard to say if the CT350 is worth the extra cash as I never tried one out to compare against the CT150,,,, my "guess" would be I dont think there would be a huge difference between the two soundwise.

If you dont need the extra wattage of the 350 then save some money and go for the 150.

Cheers
Davyo
post #5 of 12 Old 07-18-2010, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I meant the VHT210 and VSB210WS. They both have a wireless subwoofer, but I didn't know if the 210WS would be preferred to the older model since the 210WS has a bigger subwoofer and 8" wider sound bar.

I like CNET a lot, and they really liked the earlier Sony model while they were tough on Vizio. I do know, however, that you can't always trust review sites.

Opps,,, I forgot to reply to the Vizio part of your question.

First off,, my opinion of CNET is they kinda suck,,,, I have seen them slam products that are great and give good reviews for products that suck,,, and I have seen them do that more than a few times,,,, once in a great while they get it right but most of the time not.

For what its worth,,,, I owned the CT-100 and the CT-500 and in the end returned/sold both of them and kept my Vizio VSB210WS.

I just returned the CT-150 I tried out and plan on getting the soon to be released, on July 25th, Vizio VHT210,,,,, my past experience and gut feeling tells me Im going to be happier with the new'est Vizio more than the Sony.

With the VHT210 so close to being released perhaps it might be best to wait to see what the feedback is on the new Vizio.
For my part I know I will be posting my opinions on it as soon as I get it and Im sure there be many others on here doing the same.

Cheers
Davyo
post #6 of 12 Old 07-18-2010, 06:04 PM

Liked: 15
Reading the specs for the VHT210, it seems they made the soundbar speakers smaller (2.75 inches for the VHT vs. 3.0 inches for the VSB model). Although not incredibly significant changes, not a great indicator for better sound (but perhaps it is, I don't work for Vizio). The larger Vizio VHT510 retains the 3 inch speakers.

Sony made their oval shaped soundbar speakers larger (from 1.625 by 2.875 inches are now 2 by 3.625 inches)... although the subwoofer cone was reduced from 6.5 to 5.125 (now making the Vizio and Sony equal for sub driver size).

I think the changes to the speaker driver for the Sony is more significant the the stated change in amplifier power. Look closely at the manual... the HT-CT100 has and rated RMS output of 40 per channel at 1% THD (ignore reference stats which are meaningless), the HT-CT150 states 50 RMS per channel at 1% - but there's a catch. The old model rated into 8 ohms and the new model is 4 ohms. All amplifiers rate high into fewer ohms. I would not be surprised if the amp is the exact same.

Also, for those who are not aware. Watts to decibels is a logarithmic factor, meaning you need 10 times more wattage to sound twice as loud (i.e. a 100 watt amp is twice as loud as a 10 watt amp, a 20 watt amp is only about 10% louder than a 10 watt amp).

Anyone else compare the CT-HT150 to the Vizio VSB210?

I want to buy either the CT-HT150 or the newer Vizio since they will fit into my 36 inch wide TV cabinet in my bedroom. I would actually buy the Vizio VHT200 rather than the VHT210 since I have a small Yamaha 8" sub lying around. I am not ambitious enough to test both at home... I am leaning towards the Sony even though I have the extra sub because the Vizio only has one digital input and I need two (DVD and Cable/DVR).
post #7 of 12 Old 07-18-2010, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=jcm2128;18924479]Reading the specs for the VHT210, it seems they made the soundbar speakers smaller (2.75 inches for the VHT vs. 3.0 inches for the VSB model). Although not incredibly significant changes, not a great indicator for better sound (but perhaps it is, I don't work for Vizio). The larger Vizio VHT510 retains the 3 inch speakers.QUOTE]

Actualy there are some significant changes made with the soon to be released Vizio VHT210,,,, you might want to re-read the specs and the owners manuals.

Just a few of the changes are,,, the newer VHT210 will now decode Dolby Digital, which should provide a much better overall sound from the current Vizio and also give it a much better surround field.

It also has new'er SRS sound processers.

The new'er upgraded remote now gives the option to adjust the treble and bass tones.

There are other upgrades the newer Vizio bar has as well, but they slip my mind at the moment.

Anyhow, point being,,, with the changes made to the new'er VHT210 it should sound much better than the current VSB210WS.

Cheers
Davyo
post #8 of 12 Old 07-20-2010, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

[quote=davyo;18924675]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm2128 View Post

Reading the specs for the VHT210, it seems they made the soundbar speakers smaller (2.75 inches for the VHT vs. 3.0 inches for the VSB model). Although not incredibly significant changes, not a great indicator for better sound (but perhaps it is, I don't work for Vizio). The larger Vizio VHT510 retains the 3 inch speakers.QUOTE]

Actualy there are some significant changes made with the soon to be released Vizio VHT210,,,, you might want to re-read the specs and the owners manuals.

Just a few of the changes are,,, the newer VHT210 will now decode Dolby Digital, which should provide a much better overall sound from the current Vizio and also give it a much better surround field.

It also has new'er SRS sound processers.

The new'er upgraded remote now gives the option to adjust the treble and bass tones.

There are other upgrades the newer Vizio bar has as well, but they slip my mind at the moment.

Anyhow, point being,,, with the changes made to the new'er VHT210 it should sound much better than the current VSB210WS.

Cheers
Davyo

That actually sounds cool. I'm glad I talked to you!

Are you going to get it as soon as it comes out? If so, are you going to review it?

Sounds interesting.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-21-2010, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Something_Soft;18936116]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

That actually sounds cool. I'm glad I talked to you!

Are you going to get it as soon as it comes out? If so, are you going to review it?

Sounds interesting.

Yes, I do plan on getting it to check out but I will admit, I saw one at Target the other day and its much smaller than I thought it would be,,,, its so small it kinda scared me,,,, Im really hopin Vizio did not dumb down the new soundbar.

On the "Target" thread here, a member already got one and should be writing about it today I would think.
I will be interested to hear his opinions.

The Target thread,,,,, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1261061

Cheers
Davyo
post #10 of 12 Old 07-21-2010, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

[quote=davyo;18936481]
Quote:

Yes, I do plan on getting it to check out but I will admit, I saw one at Target the other day and its much smaller than I thought it would be,,,, its so small it kinda scared me,,,, Im really hopin Vizio did not dumb down the new soundbar.

On the "Target" thread here, a member already got one and should be writing about it today I would think.
I will be interested to hear his opinions.

The Target thread,,,,, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1261061

Cheers
Davyo

I did read in the specifications for the VHT210 sound bar that it is 8.45" less wide, 1.57" less tall and 1.205" less deep than the VBS210WS. The VHT210 also has a 5.25" subwoofer while the VBS210WS has a 6.5" subwoofer.

It appears like when they subtracted $30 for the MSRP of the VHT210 relative to the VBS210WS they reduced some of the specifications substantially.

That's why in the voting section I put both the VHT210 and VBS210WS.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-23-2010, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok - one of my last questions.

Davyo - sorry to single you out - straight up choice between HT-CT150/350 or VSB210WS what would you choose? I understand you returned the 150 because you were looking at the VHT210 anyways.

I'm just scared of the VSB210WS because it has no decoding of Dolby, and I don't understand how it can produce surround sound from 2 channels. It really doesn't make any sense. I was hoping you could clarify.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-23-2010, 02:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok - one of my last questions.

Davyo - sorry to single you out - straight up choice between HT-CT150/350 or VSB210WS what would you choose? I understand you returned the 150 because you were looking at the VHT210 anyways.

I'm just scared of the VSB210WS because it has no decoding of Dolby, and I don't understand how it can produce surround sound from 2 channels. It really doesn't make any sense. I was hoping you could clarify.

Hey Soft,,,, the VSB210WS was my pick over all the Sonys but for various reasons.

The Sonys do put out a better surround sound but for me the Vizio won out for other reasons,, overall tone and dialog, the sound of the sub and the sub being wireless, I didnt need HDMI connections (I use my Vizio 55" LED for that) less wires to deal with, with the Vizio (for me with my set-up).

Things I did not like about the Sonys,, the remote sucks,,,, to many menus to go thru to get where you want to be,,,,, a big fat manual (I hate manuals),,, did not have as good as sound and overall tone as the Vizio.

But with all that being said,,,,, check out my review of the JVC TH-BA1,,, my new favorite soundbar (at the moment ).
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1264815

Cheers
Davyo
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page