Panasonic SC-HTB500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 253 Old 07-19-2010, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone have any experience with this guy?

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...702#tabsection

ah nm comes out next month =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 253 Old 07-19-2010, 02:33 PM

Liked: 11
A shame it only has 1 HDMI input.
post #3 of 253 Old 07-20-2010, 02:20 PM

Liked: 14
I'm going to take a serious look at it to pair with my 54g25. It's made to work with ARC so that's why the one hdmi.
I do wonder if it'll interfere with my wireless internet network because of the wireless sub.
post #4 of 253 Old 07-20-2010, 05:20 PM

Liked: 11
I guess if you used OTA HD it would be good. But all my sound sources come from either a digital box, bluray, etc. I would have no need to listen to the sound the tv outputs.
post #5 of 253 Old 07-21-2010, 01:30 PM

The local 'huge' store is getting them in on Aug 2 so I'll be finding out that night how it works and report back. As I understand (or maybe don't understand!) it the ARC feeds the audio back from any source being viewed to the ARC connected device, hence the single feed. I too have BD, MCE, XBOX360, HD cable box connected to the panel. Just googled some more and I do believe I'm correct in what I say: •An Audio Return Channel-enabled TV can either send or receive audio via HDMI, upstream or downstream, depending on system set-up and user preferences. Found in: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx
BTW: I'm going to make sure I can return it if I'm wrong about all this!
post #6 of 253 Old 07-21-2010, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalbers View Post

The local 'huge' store is getting them in on Aug 2 so I'll be finding out that night how it works and report back. As I understand (or maybe don't understand!) it the ARC feeds the audio back from any source being viewed to the ARC connected device, hence the single feed. I too have BD, MCE, XBOX360, HD cable box connected to the panel. Just googled some more and I do believe I'm correct in what I say: An Audio Return Channel-enabled TV can either send or receive audio via HDMI, upstream or downstream, depending on system set-up and user preferences. Found in: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx

we shall see hope you are right, would be nice =)
post #7 of 253 Old 07-26-2010, 05:47 PM

how do the new panny soundbars sound?
post #8 of 253 Old 08-02-2010, 08:14 AM

Well, they aren't getting them as scheduled, now the date is Aug 13th.

Quote:

The local 'huge' store is getting them in on Aug 2 so I'll be finding out that night how it works and report back. As I understand (or maybe don't understand!) it the ARC feeds the audio back from any source being viewed to the ARC connected device, hence the single feed. I too have BD, MCE, XBOX360, HD cable box connected to the panel. Just googled some more and I do believe I'm correct in what I say: An Audio Return Channel-enabled TV can either send or receive audio via HDMI, upstream or downstream, depending on system set-up and user preferences. Found in: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx

post #9 of 253 Old 08-12-2010, 01:49 PM

rmalbers - Let us know what you think of the bar once you pick it up. I am interested in this system to pair with my 54g25 as well and am curious about the overall sound, as well as the ARC functionality.
post #10 of 253 Old 08-13-2010, 08:26 AM

Ok, first off, got it yesterday and hooked it up. I'm keeping it! Works perfect with the Panny 54G25. The operation is automatic, the SB works with all inputs, including the PC with automatic switching (Great WAF right from the start when she found that out.) Sounds wise I think most of the benefit comes from the subwoofer. You can use it without HDMI CEC but I think that would be a pain. I'm fairly sure it's not the best SB for the money or has the best bang for the buck but I wanted it because I figured it would work great with the Panny and the trim would match (most don't). The best way to explain the operation is it is viewed by the TV as a HDMI connected receiver and the TV goes into 'Home Theater' mode.
post #11 of 253 Old 08-13-2010, 02:05 PM

Here is a link to a (bad) photo of the sound bar mounted below the 54G25 so you can get an idea of the size with respect to the TV.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9614368@N05/4888656141/
BTW: I haven't cleaned up the wires yet on this photo but plan to.
post #12 of 253 Old 08-14-2010, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:

Here is a link to a (bad) photo of the sound bar mounted below the 54G25 so you can get an idea of the size with respect to the TV.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9614368@N05/4888656141/
BTW: I haven't cleaned up the wires yet on this photo but plan to.

Looks very good. Hope you continue to be impressed with the sound. If I get a chance, I plan to bring one home to audition.

David Freeman
post #13 of 253 Old 08-14-2010, 06:58 PM

Was thinking of getting the one w/o the sub but thinking i will get the one with the sub. Not the cheapest but like the fact I can adjust the sound via the current panny TV remote and it will work well together and not have to add an extra remote or confusion to the setup.

Where did you purchase it from?
post #14 of 253 Old 08-15-2010, 07:57 AM

I got it from the local huge store, Neb. Furn. Mart. But I assume they will be showing up everywhere now. The sound is basically what you would expect from speakers that size. It's a knotch up from the build in speakers that's for sure. Without the sub I'm not sure how much better it would be from the build in speakers, still a little I'm sure but it's amazing how much the sub adds, I think the cutoff might be a lot higher than the sub that most of us think about with that 'name'. I guess what I'm trying to say, it's a little more than a sub woofer I think. I must say I really do like the HDMI CEC for this and the BD player. The wife likes it too, she actually figured out how to do netflix instant on the BD player on her own. Everything just works including this SB with on/off, volume and auto input selection from any of the remotes.
Oh, I about forgot: On the wireless interferance, it does work great, just make sure you have you wireless device connected before you turn on you SB. If you do that the sub (or SB) sees the frequency is in use and automaticly picks from one of the three frequencies it uses that is clear. If you turn the sub (or SB) on first and then your wireless you might hit a used channel. Anyway, that works, at first my laptop didn't connect but when I fired it up and connected, then fired up the SB, I had a 54 Mb wireless connection.
post #15 of 253 Old 08-21-2010, 07:24 AM

After a couple of BD movies, I'm very, very happy with this SB. It's doing exactly what I wanted, improving the quality of the sound without having to go with a receiver, etc. This is a secondary viewing, small room and a 5.1 or 7.1 would not work with the layout, etc. I do stand by my statement that a ton of the improvement is because of the sub woofer.
post #16 of 253 Old 08-26-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:

The local 'huge' store is getting them in on Aug 2 so I'll be finding out that night how it works and report back. As I understand (or maybe don't understand!) it the ARC feeds the audio back from any source being viewed to the ARC connected device, hence the single feed. I too have BD, MCE, XBOX360, HD cable box connected to the panel. Just googled some more and I do believe I'm correct in what I say: An Audio Return Channel-enabled TV can either send or receive audio via HDMI, upstream or downstream, depending on system set-up and user preferences.

Sounds like a good buy. Does the ARC feature work as intended? One of the main draws for me is being able to listen to Pandora over Vieracast (output by the G25 TV). Does the single HDMI allow the Vieracast features to be output through the soundbar?
post #17 of 253 Old 08-28-2010, 07:13 AM

Yes, all audio goes thru the sound bar, even PC. The only thing you need to do is plug the BD player into the SB so you don't loose that HDMI port and (I think) that way you get the special sound processing that occurs on the audo from the BD player. With the BD player audio the SB kicks into that other sound effect mode (Which is really good!). The ARC is great and makes the sound bar operation automatic, on/off when the tv comes on or off, volume control on tv remote, etc. are all automatic. You do need to use the SB remote to set the subwoofer level but I have that set to a 'one setting fits all' setting. It's operaton is just as if the SB was built into the TV and replaces the TV speakers is probably the best way to explain it.
BTW: Pandora radio in Vieracast sounds great on this SB, I listened to it for a long time last night, I hadn't paid much attention to that app before.
post #18 of 253 Old 09-09-2010, 11:47 AM

I'm having trouble getting the HTB500 soundbar to turn on automatically when the TV (54g25) turns on. I have it connected to the tv's HDMI 1 port, and sound and volume work great with the tv remote when the soundbar is already powered on. And it powers off when the tv is powered off. But for some reason, it won't turn on when the tv powers on. Any tips or suggestions as to what I may have missed?
post #19 of 253 Old 09-09-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickSF View Post

I'm having trouble getting the HTB500 soundbar to turn on automatically when the TV (54g25) turns on. I have it connected to the tv's HDMI 1 port, and sound and volume work great with the tv remote when the soundbar is already powered on. And it powers off when the tv is powered off. But for some reason, it won't turn on when the tv powers on. Any tips or suggestions as to what I may have missed?

Check your VieraLink settings. There are separate Auto-on and Auto-off settings. Sounds like you've enabled Auto-off, but not Auto-on.
post #20 of 253 Old 09-09-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Check your VieraLink settings. There are separate Auto-on and Auto-off settings. Sounds like you've enabled Auto-off, but not Auto-on.

Thanks - that was it. I went through those menus so many times; I'm not sure how I missed that.

Now, if you could just point me to the "Auto mount on wall" option, I'll be set. :-)
post #21 of 253 Old 09-09-2010, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

Thanks - that was it. I went through those menus so many times; I'm not sure how I missed that.

Now, if you could just point me to the "Auto mount on wall" option, I'll be set. :-)

I was pretty sure that was it since I went through the same thing myself and spent a couple days trying to figure out why it wouldn't turn on.

Sorry I can't help with your other issue.
post #22 of 253 Old 09-09-2010, 06:03 PM

Ordered one from Amazon and will be here Sat, cant wait to try it out.
post #23 of 253 Old 09-11-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:

You know, the wall mounting is really nice and easy. The measurements are in the manual. I predrilled the drywall and used those screw in plastic anchors and it's very solid. I do have double layers of drywall though. The SB does weight more than I thought it would also.
post #24 of 253 Old 09-11-2010, 10:30 AM

Got it in this morning and set it up, put in Dark Knight for some of the explosion scene and love it. Alot better than the g25 speakers and the sub does really add that missing link.

I cant really use the virtual surround sound as my room is not great for that, wide room and tv not in center of that wall. (apartment)

But was wondering what settings do people have for clear dialog and sound effects?
post #25 of 253 Old 09-12-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agpatel View Post

Got it in this morning and set it up, put in Dark Knight for some of the explosion scene and love it. Alot better than the g25 speakers and the sub does really add that missing link.

I cant really use the virtual surround sound as my room is not great for that, wide room and tv not in center of that wall. (apartment)

But was wondering what settings do people have for clear dialog and sound effects?

At first the setting weren't changing for me, then I RTFM and found out you hit the remote once, it blinks, then you hit and hold the button for the setting you want, strange. I think I'm using the third one from the left. The one mode only works for the BD player and switches to that automatically. I'll take a closer look.
post #26 of 253 Old 10-11-2010, 11:40 AM

Does the subwoofer power on and off when the TV is turned on and off?
Or do you have to manually turn the subwoofer on and off?

thanks
post #27 of 253 Old 10-11-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedo3 View Post

Does the subwoofer power on and off when the TV is turned on and off?
Or do you have to manually turn the subwoofer on and off?

thanks

Yes, the subwoofer powers on and off with the TV but in order to do that it remains in standby (it has to draw a little power) when it is 'off'. Kind of like your TV, it's never off or you wouldn't be able to turn it on with the remote control, you would have to walk up to it and physically hit a switch.
post #28 of 253 Old 10-21-2010, 09:39 AM

I just bought a Panasonic G25 TV and am in the market for a sound bar. Based on what I'm reading here it seems like the SC-HTB500 is a great way to go, but the only other website I've found with user reviews (newegg) is panning it. I was hoping someone could confirm or debunk some of the following:

- No way to control the sound bar via a Panasonic TV remove even w/ Viera-link

- The IR sensor is in an odd position which makes it difficult to control with the remote from a seated position

- No individual bass or treble adjustments on the remote (or through the TV?) and the bass levels range wildly during use

It seems like the people here who have purchased this sound bar have had a very positive experience. Any information you could provide to address these "other user comments" would be greatly appreciated.
post #29 of 253 Old 10-21-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malciv View Post

I just bought a Panasonic G25 TV and am in the market for a sound bar. Based on what I'm reading here it seems like the SC-HTB500 is a great way to go, but the only other website I've found with user reviews (newegg) is panning it. I was hoping someone could confirm or debunk some of the following:

- No way to control the sound bar via a Panasonic TV remove even w/ Viera-link

- The IR sensor is in an odd position which makes it difficult to control with the remote from a seated position

- No individual bass or treble adjustments on the remote (or through the TV?) and the bass levels range wildly during use

It seems like the people here who have purchased this sound bar have had a very positive experience. Any information you could provide to address these "other user comments" would be greatly appreciated.

I recently purchased a 50" G25 along with this soundbar and it works great. You can set up your TV to control the volume of the soundbar with the TV's remote or any other remote set up to control your TV. The soundbar along with the sub will turn on and off with the TV just like it is part of the TV.

I have had no problem controlling the remote from a seated position.

I do believe you still would need to use the little remote to control the sub's volume and to turn on and off the various audio effects.

I also have a Samsung HW-C450 soundbar that I moved to the bedroom along with a 42" Panasonic S1 that works fine also but I had to program a universal remote to control the volume. As for the quality of the sound between the 2 I would consider it a tossup but I think the Panasonic marries up to your TV better.

I had a complete 5.1 surround sound system (Klipsch, Denon etc.) that I moved to the basement because we were getting tired of the clutter in the living room. While these soundbars are not a replacement for a good surround system they provide a nice upgrade to the TV's speakers.

Mike in Mich
post #30 of 253 Old 10-21-2010, 01:10 PM

Mike, thanks. Your response was spot on. The HW-C450 is one of the other sound bars I am trying to choose between. The others are the Vizio VHT210 and the JVC TH-BA1. Decisions, decision. I’ve read good things about those units as well, but if sound quality really is a tossup between them all, I’d probably go with the SC-HTB500 and keep it consistent with my TV.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Panasonic Sc Htb500 2 1 Channel Soundbar Speaker System With Wireless Kelton Subwoofer Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page