Large room soundbar problem help PLEASE - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-21-2010, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. I just moved to a new house and my once great sounding Sony Bravia (while in a small condo) now sounds horrible in my new living room. Even with the TV volume way up, I can't clearly make out dialogue and am going nuts from Closed Captioning. The new echoing room has 18' ceilings and is about 25' long with various angles and openings to other rooms.

I can't do surround sound, and would like a soundbar. My main concern is getting crisper dialogue. I don't even care that much about booming bass. Can you please recommend a soundbar for my situation. I'm on a budget too, so I can't go above $350.

I would be super appreciative for some help.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-21-2010, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Florida,

As you discovered, a soundbar won't work well in a room that large. There are larger, more powerful sound bars but they would exceed your budget.

If placement allows, a better option is a pair of active monitors such as:
M-Audio BX8a, 130W 8" Active Monitors for about $360

There are other manufacturers, I suggest M-Audio because I own and enjoy a pair of their similar, but smaller, AV-30 and AV-40 active monitors. I do not think either the 30s or 40s would be large enough for the room you describe.
The smallest pair which may work would be the M-Audio BX5a, 70W 5" Active Monitors, but they are only about $60 less than the BX8a's.

Another option is a 2.0 or 2.1 sound system, but that would require more than $350 for the receiver/integrated amplifier and speakers.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

SACD Collection: http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7966/1
post #3 of 14 Old 07-21-2010, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Which more powerful soundbars would give me clear TV dialogue in a room my size? Maybe they aren't too far over my (suddenly flexible) budget?

And would something like the Sony HT-150 make ANY difference at all?
post #4 of 14 Old 07-21-2010, 09:13 PM

Liked: 13
Due to their diminutive nature, sound bars are going to be tough for you.

The small speakers in the bar necessitate offloading much midrange to the subwoofer (which hopefully will merge with the sound from the tweeter when it reaches your ears).

This may not work in a room of your size.

However, if you are dead set on a soundbar, then make sure you get something that is a plain jane stereo setup, one that does not attempt any surround sound simulation.

I think there's a polk out there that does it.

However, I would strongly advise a 2.1 system, something that's going to be more capable of filling up such a large room.

You could get a Sony receiver, Sony speakers, and Sony subwoofer for 250 bucks from Best Buy, 10" subwoofer, 5.25" speakers in the bookshelves, and plenty of power from the receiver... I think you'll find that a more capable solution in such a large space.

The alternative is a sound bar that's going to have at most 3" speakers and a 6.5" subwoofer.

I will say, that ANYTHING is going to sound better than your TV speakers, no question... I just think you'll get better sound with an actual 2.1 set up.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-22-2010, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
For volume and voice clarity, see if your local wal-mart has the basic Vizio soundbar (less than $100). This bar has better dynamics and better voice than my yamaha that cost more than ten times the amount.

If the basic soundbar works for you, then you might also want to look into a subwoofer with an adjustable output.

The Vizio is quite efficient. Best sound clarity comes from using it as a basic 2.1 system. Simuated surround is not bad. The voice leveling might also help in a large room.

Your room sounds similar to my condo. 14' ceilings. 45' from the front of the TV to the back of the kitchen. Everything is open with the living, dining and kitchen forming one giant living area.

David Freeman
post #6 of 14 Old 07-22-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!!!!!
post #7 of 14 Old 07-23-2010, 10:58 AM

Yea, I'm interested in following this thread also. I, too, have a large living/dining room with vaulted cielings and so far nothing seems to sound good in it. I recently purchased a Sony CT150 sound bar and am thinking of returning it for a simple 2.1 setup. Dialogue is more important to me than any fancy sound, and I find myself saying to myself "what did they say?" Why are they whispering?"
post #8 of 14 Old 07-23-2010, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey O View Post

Yea, I'm interested in following this thread also. I, too, have a large living/dining room with vaulted cielings and so far nothing seems to sound good in it. I recently purchased a Sony CT150 sound bar and am thinking of returning it for a simple 2.1 setup. Dialogue is more important to me than any fancy sound, and I find myself saying to myself "what did they say?" Why are they whispering?"

that's weird cuz dialogue is one of the CT150's strong points. have u allowed at least a day or 2 of use to let the system fully break in? have u tried messin with the amp settings? in the amp settings, there are options to adjust center channel (dialogue) settings. u might want to tinker around with the set up before u make yur decision cuz i have a CT150 in a huge open room as well (check post #173). the CT150 has really done a great job for me as far as providing me with a pretty nice sound stage.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-23-2010, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
For Joey O and Florida,,,,,, I would also recomend the current Vizio VSB200WS, the Vizio can go quite loud and dialog is never any problem with the Vizio,,, dont know enough about the new'er Vizio bar that gets released this Sunday.

Cheers
Davyo
post #10 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

For Joey O and Florida,,,,,, I would also recomend the current Vizio VSB200WS, the Vizio can go quite loud and dialog is never any problem with the Vizio,,, dont know enough about the new'er Vizio bar that gets released this Sunday.

Cheers
Davyo

i'm almost lookin forward to yur new vizio 5.1 soundbar review. the idea of wireless surrounds is pretty dang nice.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoned View Post

i'm almost lookin forward to yur new vizio 5.1 soundbar review. the idea of wireless surrounds is pretty dang nice.

Well since the Vizio VHT510 5.1 system got delayed it might be a long time for that review,, when I call Vizio I got the impression the VHT510 would not be out for 3 to 6 months .

Cheers
Davyo
post #12 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 08:15 AM

aw man, that really bites.

what's up with 2010? it has sucked for us TV/home audio fans! everything good has either been delayed or canceled.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-24-2010, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

aw man, that really bites.

what's up with 2010? it has sucked for us TV/home audio fans! everything good has either been delayed or canceled.

Agreed !!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Davyo
post #14 of 14 Old 08-10-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Have u allowed at least a day or 2 of use to let the system fully break in? have u tried messin with the amp settings?

Yup, I tried everything. I did break it in and reviewed the amp setting a 100 times.

So I ended up returning the CT150. I think I'm going to get a Denon amp and get a really nice center channel separately.
Reply Soundbars