JVC TH-BA3,,, my mini review/opinion/thoughts - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 07-22-2010, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I was in my local Frys the other day just window shopping and getting my "electronics store fix" and happen to see sitting in a box the JVC TH-BA3, so of course I had to buy it,,,,, never checked out the JVC's yet.

First off,,,, I was very very impressed, its a soundbar and a 5.1 system in one, and it really does sound great, not simulated surround but the real deal as its a 5.1 system.

Even though I returned it I would highly recomend it.

The cons for me were:
A: I dont have a good place to mount the rear speakers and the rear wireless receiver that needs to be hooked to the rear speakers.
B: By the time I wired up the rear speakers, rear power supply and rear receiver I felt like I had just installed a regular 5.1 system, if I want to do that I would just get a 5.1 system.
C: Having soundbars for so long I find I like the non-directional sound that a good soundbar will put out more than being able to tell which sound is comng from which speaker.

Ok, the pros:
A: Great overall sound and tone.
B: Really liked the easy simple and very usefull remote.
C: Some reviews say they dont like the look of the JVC soundbars, TH-BA1 and TH-BA3,,, personaly I think the bar looks very cool.
D: Loved the LED read-outs on the bar, very easy to see.

Anyhow,, those are my quickie thoughts/opinions on the JVC TH-BA3.

Now here is the funny part, even though I returned the TH-BA3 Im going back to Frys tonight to pick up the JVC TH-BA1,,, the BA3 perked my interest enough I now want to see what the BA1 sounds like.

Sunday, I plan on getting the Vizio VHT210 so I guess I will be comparing that to the JVC BA1.

Cheers
Davyo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-22-2010, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
thanx again man....but it's like you are never going to keep a soundbar.
Plus it you don't want this jvc because it is 5.1...you won't keep the visio neither...for that same reason
post #3 of 18 Old 07-22-2010, 09:31 AM

Liked: 10
Davyo, I am looking forward to your review on the TH-1. It has been a close second for me. I also kind of like the look.
post #4 of 18 Old 07-22-2010, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k View Post

thanx again man....but it's like you are never going to keep a soundbar.
Plus it you don't want this jvc because it is 5.1...you won't keep the visio neither...for that same reason

You would be correct,,, its very rare for me to settle on and keep any soundbar,,, all though I did keep my Vizio VSB200WS for about a year and only sold it as I thought I was getting the 5.1 Vizio VHT510 that got delayed until who knows when,,,,but after setting up the JVC rear speaker set-up Im not so sure Im interested in going that route when the VHT510 finnaly does come out,,,, but then again,,,, never say never.

Anyhow, come Sunday, I will pick up the Vizio VHT210 and check that one out,,,, hummmm,,,, wonder if I will keep it

Cheers
Davyo
post #5 of 18 Old 07-22-2010, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjj View Post

Davyo, I am looking forward to your review on the TH-1. It has been a close second for me. I also kind of like the look.

Yea,,, I really do like the look of the JVC bars, I think it looks much cooler than 90% of all the other speaker bars out there,, I dont understand why all the "pro" reviewer's made it a point to all mention how much they disliked the look of the speaker bar,,,,, but then again,,, its not always a good idea to listen to the "pro" reveiwer's or go by their opinions.

Cheers
Davyo
post #6 of 18 Old 07-22-2010, 03:49 PM

Davyo: Isn't the TH1 the same as the TH3 without the back speakers. So why didn't you check out the TH-3 without the back speakers?
post #7 of 18 Old 07-22-2010, 03:54 PM

On second thought ignore my previous reply. I do not want to discourage your need to buy electronics as I enjoy the reviews.

Thank goodness there is no EA - Electronics Anonymous!
post #8 of 18 Old 07-22-2010, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Davyo: Isn't the TH1 the same as the TH3 without the back speakers. So why didn't you check out the TH-3 without the back speakers?

I did wonder the same thing, if they were both the same with the exception of no the rears speakers on the BA1, but I think the speakers and what chanel puts out what signal from which speaker is different,,and the remote's are also different on what functions they each control.

Quote:

On second thought ignore my previous reply. I do not want to discourage your need to buy electronics as I enjoy the reviews.

Thank goodness there is no EA - Electronics Anonymous!

Very Funny,, but Yea,,, Im kind of addicted to buying/experimenting with soundbars, I cant stop,, its an sickness.
But at least its a cheaper habit,,, I used to be addicted to buying projectors and flat panels (plasma and LCD),,,, now its just soundbars, cameras and pocket camcorders.

Yes,,,, I do need EA (electronics anonymous),,,, I could get my "one week chip" for going a week with being able to drive by a BestBuy and not stoppping in.

Cheers
Davyo

Cheers
Davyo
post #9 of 18 Old 07-22-2010, 07:45 PM

So it sounds like you got the TH1. What do you think of it. How does it sound. I am going to be close to a Frys these weekend. I am thinking about getting it.

Regarding the electronics addiction, I have a problem as well. Unfortunately, I am mostly limited to reading on the internet. The wife and kids leave less $'s available for the addiction.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-23-2010, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So it sounds like you got the TH1. What do you think of it. How does it sound. I am going to be close to a Frys these weekend. I am thinking about getting it.

Regarding the electronics addiction, I have a problem as well. Unfortunately, I am mostly limited to reading on the internet. The wife and kids leave less $'s available for the addiction.

Hey 'jjjj' ,, and anyone else interested,,, here is my JVC BA1 thread review,,,,,,, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post18947049

Cheers
Davyo
post #11 of 18 Old 08-11-2010, 04:01 PM

I saw this today as well. Online it shows the price as 549.99, but I thought I saw in the store it was 399.99. Maybe I was looking at the wrong thing. Since you did buy this, does the rear speakers come with any type of wall mounts to mount on th ewall. I have perfect spots possibly for them. So the rear receiver I assume the speakers wire into that and that plugs into the wall? Any problems with connecting everything wirelessly? Also did it interfere with any type of wireless connections or anything?

Thanks.
post #12 of 18 Old 08-11-2010, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurandavid View Post

I saw this today as well. Online it shows the price as 549.99, but I thought I saw in the store it was 399.99. Maybe I was looking at the wrong thing. Since you did buy this, does the rear speakers come with any type of wall mounts to mount on th ewall. I have perfect spots possibly for them. So the rear receiver I assume the speakers wire into that and that plugs into the wall? Any problems with connecting everything wirelessly? Also did it interfere with any type of wireless connections or anything?

Thanks.

Correct,, the rear speakers are attached to the rear revceiver that plugs into the wall.
As for wall mounting, the rear speakers have the mounting holes on the back.

When I picked up the BA3 I tried out, it was 399.00 at my local B&M store, Fry's.

Cheers
Davyo
post #13 of 18 Old 08-12-2010, 06:11 AM

I thought it was 399.99 or around there. Online it shows 549.99. Big difference.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-12-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Correct,, the rear speakers are attached to the rear revceiver that plugs into the wall.
As for wall mounting, the rear speakers have the mounting holes on the back.

When I picked up the BA3 I tried out, it was 399.00 at my local B&M store, Fry's.

Cheers
Davyo

Any connection issues with the rear or sub connecting? Also I did not pay much attention to it, but is the sub very large? Also what type of adjustements can you do. Like the htct150 and 350, you can adjust the sub, center, treble, bass, etc. Can you do this with this setup?

Thanks.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-14-2010, 05:25 PM

bringing this back up
post #16 of 18 Old 08-14-2010, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any connection issues with the rear or sub connecting? Also I did not pay much attention to it, but is the sub very large? Also what type of adjustements can you do. Like the htct150 and 350, you can adjust the sub, center, treble, bass, etc. Can you do this with this setup?

Thanks.

Nope,, no connection problems at all with any of the wireless conections.

The sub is average size and not real large.

Yes, you can adjust the sub, center, bass/treble, speaker levels with the very used friendly remote.

Cheers
Davyo
post #17 of 18 Old 08-15-2010, 09:18 AM

Can the sub be placed on its side or does it have to stand up right?
post #18 of 18 Old 08-16-2010, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can the sub be placed on its side or does it have to stand up right?

I dont see any reason the sub could not be placed on its side.

Perhaps go on JVC's website and check the maunal to be sure,,,, or email JVC tech support and ask them.

Cheers
Davyo
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page