The Official JVC TH-BA1 Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 379 Old 01-19-2011, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having issues with getting the remote to work whenever I am standing to the right of the unit. Standing on the left side I don't have any issues. Not sure if BA1 is defective or if this is just a design issue with the ir receiver placement on this unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 379 Old 01-19-2011, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStreak View Post

I'm having issues with getting the remote to work whenever I am standing to the right of the unit. Standing on the left side I don't have any issues. Not sure if BA1 is defective or if this is just a design issue with the ir receiver placement on this unit?

A small piece of matte Scotch tape over the IR window will significantly widen the senstivity area, at the expense of a little distance. Give it a try

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #273 of 379 Old 01-22-2011, 03:18 PM

I have received the sound bar and found Davyo's review to be spot on. It sounds ok when watching hd tv but pop in a blue ray and set the sound to bit stream and it comes alive. I only have experienced one other sound bar, the Samsung HT-WS1G that my father bought for my mother for Xmas. Since I was home for the holidays I had the honor of setting it up for her and I was very impressed with it when compared to the speakers in her 42" LCD. So I started doing some research here for my self. The price on the JVC was great and when viewing a blue ray with the audio set to bit stream the JVC blows away the samsung over all but the samsung has a better sounding sub. Over all this is a great value since JVC is coming out with a new model for this year and the price for the TH-BA1 is dropping.
post #274 of 379 Old 01-22-2011, 05:03 PM

Has anyone had any issues with the height of the JVC th-ba1 interfering with the sensor on a Vizio TV. I have a Vizio XVT423SV and with the height of the JVC soundbar being 6"+ I'm wondering if it will block the infared sensor on the TV? I've been reading about these soundbars and the JVC seems to be everyones consensous favorite.
post #275 of 379 Old 01-23-2011, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
If sitting on a shelf in front of your TV, you have a fair to good chance of blocking the IR sensor. If your IR sensor is high enough or to one side, this is probably not an issue. If your sensor is blocked, this may be remedied very easily and inexpensively with an IR extender.

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Acou...5795680&sr=1-3
This one is cheap, easy and it works. There are a number that look as if they may be easier to use, but typically, have extremely limited funcitonality.

David Freeman
post #276 of 379 Old 01-23-2011, 08:18 AM

Just a quick question for everyone. What brand of optic cables are you using for the JVC BA1? I've got some I bought off Amazon and they seem to work pretty good, but they are very slim and flimsy. Thinking about buying a few better made cables.
post #277 of 379 Old 01-23-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppa View Post

Just a quick question for everyone. What brand of optic cables are you using for the JVC BA1? I've got some I bought off Amazon and they seem to work pretty good, but they are very slim and flimsy. Thinking about buying a few better made cables.

If your cables work, keep them. There is zero (ZERO) difference between expensive (think Monster) and inexpensive (think Amazon, Blue Jean, Monoprice) optical or HDMI cables. When you move to the Digital domain, everything is zeros and ones. If enough zeros and ones come through for a signal, you will hear (or see in the case of HDMI) everything. If not, you will hear (or see) nothing. Unless your cables do not stay connected, or you see some other flaw with them, don't waste the money to replace them.

One note, for optical cables, flimsy is good. Inside a stiff cable, the optical fiber can be easily broken when trying to hide or route cables around furniture, other equipment, etc. In my experience (I am waiting now for someone to explain to me how I do not know my rear end from the giant hole in my neighbor's yard), I have had considerably less problems from the inexpensive, flimsy (think flexible) cables than ever with more expensive cables.

David Freeman
post #278 of 379 Old 01-23-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

If your cables work, keep them. There is zero (ZERO) difference between expensive (think Monster) and inexpensive (think Amazon, Blue Jean, Monoprice) optical or HDMI cables. When you move to the Digital domain, everything is zeros and ones. If enough zeros and ones come through for a signal, you will hear (or see in the case of HDMI) everything. If not, you will hear (or see) nothing. Unless your cables do not stay connected, or you see some other flaw with them, don't waste the money to replace them.

One note, for optical cables, flimsy is good. Inside a stiff cable, the optical fiber can be easily broken when trying to hide or route cables around furniture, other equipment, etc. In my experience (I am waiting now for someone to explain to me how I do not know my rear end from the giant hole in my neighbor's yard), I have had considerably less problems from the inexpensive, flimsy (think flexible) cables than ever with more expensive cables.

Thank you drfreeman. It's funny that you mentioned Monster. I have two of the flimsy optic cables and a Monster optic cable I got from my Dad. I can't tell a difference between the two. I'll still use both though. The reason I was asking is because I just found out that I have to order another optic cable since I will be using a Toslink splitter to connect my blu ray player and my 360 to the JVC soundbar. Thanks once again for all the info.
post #279 of 379 Old 01-24-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post
A small piece of matte Scotch tape over the IR window will significantly widen the senstivity area, at the expense of a little distance. Give it a try
Great tip, worked like a charm! Thanks!
post #280 of 379 Old 01-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Dontcha just love cheap effective solutions?!

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #281 of 379 Old 01-24-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you drfreeman. It's funny that you mentioned Monster. I have two of the flimsy optic cables and a Monster optic cable I got from my Dad. I can't tell a difference between the two. I'll still use both though. The reason I was asking is because I just found out that I have to order another optic cable since I will be using a Toslink splitter to connect my blu ray player and my 360 to the JVC soundbar. Thanks once again for all the info.

The only people who hear a difference between optical cables or see a difference with HDMI cables are those with pre-conceived prejudices. There have been dozens of managed double-blind tests and the results have always been the same. No one could tell one cable from the other. Of course, I was in Best Buy one night when I had a discussion with one of their managers who dismissed double blind testing. After all, how is someone supposed to select which cable looks or sounds the best if they don't know which cable they are looking at. If he knew he was watching HDTV through a Monster cable he automatically knew the picture quality was superior because that is what Monster told him.

David Freeman
post #282 of 379 Old 01-25-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

The only people who hear a difference between optical cables or see a difference with HDMI cables are those with pre-conceived prejudices. There have been dozens of managed double-blind tests and the results have always been the same. No one could tell one cable from the other. Of course, I was in Best Buy one night when I had a discussion with one of their managers who dismissed double blind testing. After all, how is someone supposed to select which cable looks or sounds the best if they don't know which cable they are looking at. If he knew he was watching HDTV through a Monster cable he automatically knew the picture quality was superior because that is what Monster told him.

LOL. Great points drfreeman. My father just recently picked up a new 3D TV, Blu ray player and sound system. I successfully talked him out of buying Monster cables ever again. Besides the people that have no clue, there are those that know there is no difference, but will buy them for piece of mind. lol.

I adjusted my sound settings on the BA1. I have the sub at 0, the center at +2 and the surround at +4. Currently listening at a volume of 20. I was hoping that raising the surround over the center would give me more of a surround sound effect, but this doesn't seem to be the case. I'll still have to make some more adjustments. Got any suggestions on how to get more of a surround sound effect from the BA1 (I know it's limitations, but feel I may not have optimal settings). Thank you for any info.
post #283 of 379 Old 01-25-2011, 10:46 AM

I'm going to use the BA1 for TV speakers and will also use it for watching movies most of the time. At some point I might want to have a 5.1 system. In that case I'd still use the BA1 for a TV speaker, but I'd also like to use it as a center channel speaker. That might be a bit of a stretch, but is it possible?

Connections:
I'd connect from TV optical output to BA1 for normal viewing. For 5.1 I'd connect the Onkyo TX-NR708 speaker outs to front-side and rear channel speakers as usual.

For the center channel to BA1 connection I have two choices.
1) center channel pre-amp output to BA1 RCA inputs thru a RCA Y adapter.
2) center channel speaker output to BA1 thru a RCA Y adapter (kaboom?)

What problems am I likely to run into with either of those connections?

If either of those connections don't blow the BA1 into the next room, would the center be in sync with the surround speakers? Having a separate volume control for the center would be a little inconvenient, but I could live with that.

Thanks
post #284 of 379 Old 01-25-2011, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL. Great points drfreeman. My father just recently picked up a new 3D TV, Blu ray player and sound system. I successfully talked him out of buying Monster cables ever again. Besides the people that have no clue, there are those that know there is no difference, but will buy them for piece of mind. lol.

I adjusted my sound settings on the BA1. I have the sub at 0, the center at +2 and the surround at +4. Currently listening at a volume of 20. I was hoping that raising the surround over the center would give me more of a surround sound effect, but this doesn't seem to be the case. I'll still have to make some more adjustments. Got any suggestions on how to get more of a surround sound effect from the BA1 (I know it's limitations, but feel I may not have optimal settings). Thank you for any info.

My settings have the center channel at about +4 and the surrounds at 0, sub at +1. My setup is far from optimal for surround effect. I am more of a stickler for the detail that comes out of this bar and it seems like as I move to maximize surround, I lose some of the inner detail. Also, if I boost the sub above about +4, I begin to lose some of the speed for the low frequency transients. My criteria are probably not what the average user wants. If I have a chance over the next few days (right now that looks doubtful), I will play with a couple of the settings to see if I can enhance the surround some.

David Freeman
post #285 of 379 Old 01-25-2011, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac3600 View Post

I'm going to use the BA1 for TV speakers and will also use it for watching movies most of the time. At some point I might want to have a 5.1 system. In that case I'd still use the BA1 for a TV speaker, but I'd also like to use it as a center channel speaker. That might be a bit of a stretch, but is it possible?

Connections:
I'd connect from TV optical output to BA1 for normal viewing. For 5.1 I'd connect the Onkyo TX-NR708 speaker outs to front-side and rear channel speakers as usual.

For the center channel to BA1 connection I have two choices.
1) center channel pre-amp output to BA1 RCA inputs thru a RCA Y adapter.
2) center channel speaker output to BA1 thru a RCA Y adapter (kaboom?)

What problems am I likely to run into with either of those connections?

If either of those connections don't blow the BA1 into the next room, would the center be in sync with the surround speakers? Having a separate volume control for the center would be a little inconvenient, but I could live with that.

Thanks

If you need a center channel speaker you would probably be better to find a dedicated unit.

However, if you wish to try this, option two would not work as your speaker outputs are the wrong impedence and could possibly damage the JVC. Option one, since you have a center channel pre-out would work well. If you have a decent way of matching volume levels at your average listening levels, barring any major differences between the JVC and your regular speakers as far as efficiency, the output level should remain more or less constant for all speakers.

David Freeman
post #286 of 379 Old 01-25-2011, 02:40 PM

Thanks Dave.
post #287 of 379 Old 01-27-2011, 08:28 PM

Hey I'm new to the forum... I ordered the jvc after about 3 months of researching for a soundbar for my room. It should be here in a few days I'm excited. I'll be using it for my ps3 and cable box VIA optical I picked up at monoprice. Quick question I want to put the bar above my tv the only problem is my tv is on a stand in the corner of my room so I can't mount it on a wall because there isnt a flat wall behind my tv. I was thinking about building some kind of stand for it to put behnd my tv. If anyone has any ideas or help that would be very much appreciated. Thanks
post #288 of 379 Old 01-27-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbadamo528 View Post
Hey I'm new to the forum... I ordered the jvc after about 3 months of researching for a soundbar for my room. It should be here in a few days I'm excited. I'll be using it for my ps3 and cable box VIA optical I picked up at monoprice. Quick question I want to put the bar above my tv the only problem is my tv is on a stand in the corner of my room so I can't mount it on a wall because there isnt a flat wall behind my tv. I was thinking about building some kind of stand for it to put behnd my tv. If anyone has any ideas or help that would be very much appreciated. Thanks
mjbadamo, I'm thinking you can still put it above the TV mounted to the wall. I put my up with some L brackets and used some velcro to make sure it stays put and doesn't fall. Mine is against a flat wall, but you could do the same thing out of the corner. Unless the soundbar is going to stick out further than the TV. Just a thought. You could even do a corner shelf and secure the shelf with brackets. Hope this helps. I'm sure others will chime in.
post #289 of 379 Old 01-27-2011, 08:54 PM

I played a little NBA2K11 on the 360 today. I still have my same settings (surround +4, center +2, sub 0). I had the volume at 15 and the surround sound effect was very apparent. It felt like I was in the crowd. I've only had the BA1 for a a little over a month, but I'm still shocked at the sound this thing that put out.
post #290 of 379 Old 01-28-2011, 10:57 AM

Hello,

I just received my TH-BA1 last night and set it up and played some blu-rays. I am not really getting a surround effect, I know this isn't the same as having a real 5.1 setup but I thought it would be better. My settings are

Surround Mode 1
DRC: Off (None of them seem to work better than the other)
Sub: +1
Center: +3
Surround: 0
PS3 optical out set at Bitstream (Direct, not Mix)

The soundbar is in a TV stand shelf and is flush with the front/surface. Although, the left and right sides of the sound are tight against the TV stand "walls" of the shelf and there is a few inches of clearance above the stand. It was later at night so I only had the volume at +18. I will try again tonight with a louder volume. The device sounds much better then my TV speakers but I was hoping to get more.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.
post #291 of 379 Old 01-28-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Not sure what you are looking for in surround. Your setting seem pretty good and having the unit shelf mounted should not hurt as the surround channels come from the inside two speakers.

Your typical surround response will almost always seem that it comes from in front of you. My personal preference for the JVC is the detail that it extracts from the 5-ch soundtrack. Many things that I had not heard from other soundbars.

I would attempt to decrease center channel and increase surround (these both rely on the inner speakers). See if that helps. I believe that DRC on works on content that is broadcast or encoded with DRC. Works very well on our local CBS affiliate, very little on everything else.

David Freeman
post #292 of 379 Old 01-28-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Your setting of +18 for volume is my normal listening level for broadcast TV. When watching a Blu-Ray this usually increases to 25-30 depending on the movie. The surround effects seem to increase as your volume goes up.

Remember in a theater you seldom, if ever, hear sound from behind you. People tend to want to increase this effect with their home systems. If you pay for it, you want to hear it. If you ever hear a correctly calibrated THX system, you will never notice the surround channels or the sub-woofer. Until you turn them off. If they are loud enough to be noticed, they are too loud.

David Freeman
post #293 of 379 Old 01-28-2011, 12:13 PM

I was very pleased with the fact that I couldn't tell where the sound was coming from; mainly the bass, it seemed to nicely fill the room. I don't expect to hear anything from behind and I think people who buy a soundbar hoping for this are wishful thinkers and not realistic. I just thought there would be more of a left/right effect.

I will listen to some movies this weekend with the volume higher, I had it low before because it was 1:00 AM and I live in an apartment building.
post #294 of 379 Old 01-29-2011, 01:16 PM

Liked: 12
Can anyone tell me what size the screw holes on the back of the bar are? I orderd one of those Universal mounting brackets that go on the back of the TV.

There are two holes in Daddys head where all the money goes.
post #295 of 379 Old 01-31-2011, 02:16 PM

Any ps3 owners out there what should I check off in the audio settings????
post #296 of 379 Old 02-01-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbadamo528 View Post
Any ps3 owners out there what should I check off in the audio settings????
Using the optical out of the PS3, just check off the DD and DTS; there are also two PCM modes that are checked by default. Make sure to set the output to bitstream direct, not mix.
post #297 of 379 Old 02-02-2011, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Been looking at these on Amazon. Does anyone know why there is such a price difference in what seems to be the same model.
post #298 of 379 Old 02-02-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

Been looking at these on Amazon. Does anyone know why there is such a price difference in what seems to be the same model.

Not sure but it's a great value!
post #299 of 379 Old 02-02-2011, 08:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

I've read that they are going to be replaced.
post #300 of 379 Old 02-03-2011, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

The BA-1 has already been discontinued by JVC. The replacement model does on 2-ch, not 4-ch as the BA-1 and does not include a sub-woofer. Marginally less expensive, but don't see how it could compare. If you are interested in the BA-1 and you see it at a good price, my recommendation, give it a try.

David Freeman
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page