The Official JVC TH-BA1 Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 379 Old 08-02-2010, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Davyo,

The system is wireless only...I need to give it a try. Maybe I need a new router or tell my kids to stay off the net when I am watching/listening. thanks for your input.

nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 379 Old 08-02-2010, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrj69 View Post

Davyo,

The system is wireless only...I need to give it a try. Maybe I need a new router or tell my kids to stay off the net when I am watching/listening. thanks for your input.

nick

Hey Nick

Yes, I know the system is wirless only, when I was suggesting calling JVC I refuring to your wireless concerns.

What did they say about wireless any possable interference between the sub and the bar (Ive never had any).

Im sure any dealer would refund you if you were to have any problems like that, but like I said before, dont let one bad experience shy you away from wireless,,, I've had a few wireless systems and never had any problems with interference.

Cheers
Davyo
post #33 of 379 Old 08-02-2010, 10:03 PM

Liked: 10
I have 2 wireless signals running and do not have any interference problems. I would suggest giving it a try.
post #34 of 379 Old 08-03-2010, 06:43 AM

The technicians at JVC 3 calls could not give me an answer as to interference...looks like I may have to buy and try. Davyo do you have a dealer of choice?

Nick
post #35 of 379 Old 08-03-2010, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The technicians at JVC 3 calls could not give me an answer as to interference...looks like I may have to buy and try. Davyo do you have a dealer of choice?

Nick

Hey Nick

Yep, my dealer of choice would be Amazon.com,,,, when you buy directly from Amazon they are great with returns, shipping and no re-stocking fees,, be careful though and make sure anything you do buy from Amazon is sold by Amazon,,, I made the mistake of buying something recently from an Amazon vendor, "Buy.com" and was charged re-stocking fees and had to pay more for return shipping than Amazon would have charged,,,, lesson learned.

Anyhow, here is the link for the BA1,, SOLD by Amazon and not a second party vendor.
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-TH-BA1-Sou...0860112&sr=1-1

Cheers
Davyo
post #36 of 379 Old 08-03-2010, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ahhhh,,, I just remembered,, the "something" I bought from Buy.com thru Amazon and had to pay re-stocking fees on, it was the Sony CT-150 that I purchased and returned.

So yea,,, make sure to see whom you are buying from when purchasing on Amazon,,,, if it says "Sold by Amazon" then no worries,,,, if it says "Sold by Buy.com" or another vendor, make sure and check return policies.

Cheers
Davyo
post #37 of 379 Old 08-04-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Hey Nick

Yep, my dealer of choice would be Amazon.com,,,, when you buy directly from Amazon they are great with returns, shipping and no re-stocking fees,, be careful though and make sure anything you do buy from Amazon is sold by Amazon,,, I made the mistake of buying something recently from an Amazon vendor, "Buy.com" and was charged re-stocking fees and had to pay more for return shipping than Amazon would have charged,,,, lesson learned.

Anyhow, here is the link for the BA1,, SOLD by Amazon and not a second party vendor.
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-TH-BA1-Sou...0860112&sr=1-1

Cheers
Davyo

Thanks Davyo,

I will give it a try...I may go for the 5.1 or the slim...too many choices now. I looked at JVC's website and now I think I have the addiction.

Nick
post #38 of 379 Old 08-04-2010, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Davyo,

I will give it a try...I may go for the 5.1 or the slim...too many choices now. I looked at JVC's website and now I think I have the addiction.

Nick

Yea, the 5.1 JVC BA3,,, I really liked that one as well,, matter of fact, even though I returned the BA3 I have thought about re-buying it,,, Im moving into a new condo next month that would work much better than my current place for hanging/installing the rear speakers.

So my current dillema is keep the JVC BA1 or exchange it for the BA3 while my return window of time is still open,,,, I really do love both the BA1 and the BA3.

Below is my little mini review of the BA3 (for anyone that did not see it)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1264597

Cheers
Davyo
post #39 of 379 Old 08-04-2010, 09:39 PM

I ORDERED MY JVC TH-BA1. It could not have gone smoother. I would highly recommend them.

I still love my TH-BA1. Even more important my wife likes its as well. Ususally she could care less about my electronics!
post #40 of 379 Old 08-04-2010, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjj View Post

I ORDERED MY JVC TH-BA1. It could not have gone smoother. I would highly recommend them.

I still love my TH-BA1. Even more important my wife likes its as well. Ususally she could care less about my electronics!

Whom is the "them" that you are recomending ?

Cheers
Davyo
post #41 of 379 Old 08-05-2010, 09:50 AM

Since I cannot find the soundbar anywhere in toronto, I emailed JVC directly.
This is the reply I received,
"The TH-BA1 is now sold out discontinued and has been replaced by the TH-BA3 which retails at $799.99. Specs for this unit can be found on the website. Hopefully this will fit your needs. Please let me know if you require assistance in finding a dealer that carries this unit. "

Funny thing is that I have a family member who has access to Direct Buy (yes the cult...), but it was listed as a product they carry. They ordered it for me, which comes directly from the manufacturer. It was paid for as well. Let's see what happens now since it's deemed as discontinued.

Maybe they'll give me the BA3 for the same price? Doubt it.
Otherwise I'm going to have to get the Samsung 450 as that's the only other one that is sold in Canada for under $400.
Sony CT 150 $499, CT 350 $699 (only from sonystyle.ca)
Yamaha YSP 600 $599 or $600 (can't remember, that is one of the only ones sold in retail stores)
Yamaha YHT S400 $599 (only at Costco.ca)
Samsung HW-C450 $499 (on sale for $399, the other soundbar sold in retail stores), I can get it from the cult for approx $320.

Can't find the Vizio anywhere here.
We get no love for soundbars in Canada.
post #42 of 379 Old 08-05-2010, 10:01 AM

Since it's being discontinued, we should start seeing the price get lower hopefully. Amazon.com still has it at 250
post #43 of 379 Old 08-05-2010, 12:13 PM

Interesting, they emailed that this is sold out, however their own web page as of today still has it listed-http://store.jvc.com/product.asp?Model=TH-BA1.

Onkyo TX-NR5009, Emotiva XPA-2 & XPA-5, Oppo 103D Blu-Ray Player, Denon DCD 1650AR, Teac V 670 Cassette Player, Pioneer CLD-D704 Laser Player, JVC HM-DH3000U VCR, Technics SL1200MK2 Turntable, Belkin PF 60 Power Conditioner, Comcast Motorola DCT 3412, XBOX 360, PSA XV-15se Sub, Velodyne DLS-4000R Sub, HTD Level 3 Main and Center Speakers, Infinity SS 2002 Side Speakers, JBL E-20 Rear Speakers, BIC DV 62si Height Speakers, Sony KDL-40V5100 TV. Harmony One.
post #44 of 379 Old 08-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 27
It seems strange that a soundbar that retails for $250 would be "replaced" by one that retails for more than three times that price. That's not a replacement in my eyes. Besides, the point of the BA1 is the absence of actual REAR speakers...so how does the BA3 replace that feature?

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #45 of 379 Old 08-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Anybody know any B&M places in the states that have the BA1 in stock?

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
post #46 of 379 Old 08-05-2010, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post

Anybody know any B&M places in the states that have the BA1 in stock?

If you have a Fry's close to you thats where I got my BA1.

Cheers
Davyo
post #47 of 379 Old 08-05-2010, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I called JVC today and yes, the BA1 is discontinued and no longer being made, the BA3 is not the replacement,,, they are working on a new replacement for the BA1 and said it would be out later this year or the first part of 2011.

Should be interestng to see what the new BA1 version is as the first generation bar is already pretty impressive.

I guess anyone interested in the BA1 should grab one right away as they arent going to be around much longer.

Cheers
Davyo
post #48 of 379 Old 08-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

If anybody sees the BA1 being discounted anywhere, please let us know!

post #49 of 379 Old 08-05-2010, 09:43 PM

Oops. Them would be amazon.
post #50 of 379 Old 08-05-2010, 11:16 PM

Well I had to change a connection, so I took a couple of pictures of my setup. I think it looks pretty good. Also, I thought the shelf set up I used to secure the sound bar to the top of the TV is pretty good. It may help someone else.

I simply bolted a piece of wood to the anchor points add additional support for the sound bar. I cut out space to not block the ventilation. I used velcro to secure the sound bar. Check out the pictures. Total cost = $0.00
LL
LL
post #51 of 379 Old 08-06-2010, 09:43 AM

IN case anyone is interested.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JVC+-+4....dbar&cp=1&lp=5

249.99 regular priced at 399.99.
post #52 of 379 Old 08-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurandavid View Post

IN case anyone is interested.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JVC+-+4....dbar&cp=1&lp=5

249.99 regular priced at 399.99.

Did you see the "features" list? This entry at the bottom cracks me up:

3 ohm impedance
Conducts power through the speaker

wtf?

post #53 of 379 Old 08-06-2010, 11:57 AM

I am still torturing over which model to grab. One with 5.1, one with a BR player...all similarly priced. My big question for it (as I do not have a B + M with it in stock to test) is...Does it have that knock your socks off power that I am looking for?

Nick
post #54 of 379 Old 08-06-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:

My big question for it (as I do not have a B + M with it in stock to test) is...Does it have that knock your socks off power that I am looking for?

Nick

the sub is only "6-5/8" 100W"
i am sure it is loud enough
but i really doubt it will knock your socks off
post #55 of 379 Old 08-06-2010, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am still torturing over which model to grab. One with 5.1, one with a BR player...all similarly priced. My big question for it (as I do not have a B + M with it in stock to test) is...Does it have that knock your socks off power that I am looking for?

Nick

If yor looking for "knock your socks off power" I dont think ANY soundbar is going to do that for you.

A nice 5.1 Onkyo system would be my first pick for that.

Cheers
Davyo
post #56 of 379 Old 08-07-2010, 11:10 PM

davyo, i would be curious to see your take on the comparison between the BA1 and the recently released Pioneer HTP-SB300.

from what i've read, the Pioneer is a perfect substitute for the Sony - its got a 2x1 HDMI repeater, optical inputs, and TrueHD decoding!!. for someone like me, with 3 components, this would be a blessing. not much is available on this unit, but the existing reviews (from another thread on AVS) mention that while the sound is generally good, the surround processing isnt that great.

i am likely to ask for a soundbar as a present, so not sure what i should do - go with the tried and true BA1 (and not use any HDMI switching), take a chance on the pioneer, or wait for the BA1's successor.
post #57 of 379 Old 08-08-2010, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKinNYC View Post

davyo, i would be curious to see your take on the comparison between the BA1 and the recently released Pioneer HTP-SB300.

from what i've read, the Pioneer is a perfect substitute for the Sony - its got a 2x1 HDMI repeater, optical inputs, and TrueHD decoding!!. for someone like me, with 3 components, this would be a blessing. not much is available on this unit, but the existing reviews (from another thread on AVS) mention that while the sound is generally good, the surround processing isnt that great.

i am likely to ask for a soundbar as a present, so not sure what i should do - go with the tried and true BA1 (and not use any HDMI switching), take a chance on the pioneer, or wait for the BA1's successor.

If your needin HDMI's inputs I would say check up on the Yamaha S400,,, by all reports its a great little system.
I know a fellow forum member here just ordered one and should have it in a few days and will be posting a review of it.

As far as a follow-up to the BA1, JVC told me on the phone it would not be released untill perhaps Q1 of 2011.

Cheers
Davyo
post #58 of 379 Old 08-08-2010, 01:31 PM

ive looked at the yamaha, but it doesnt decode TrueHD or DTS MA, which i feel is a negative since at least one other unit (pioneer) does this
post #59 of 379 Old 08-08-2010, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKinNYC View Post

ive looked at the yamaha, but it doesnt decode TrueHD or DTS MA, which i feel is a negative since at least one other unit (pioneer) does this

With a soundbar I doubt if you would be able to tell the difference if one bar is decoding Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital HD or not, same with DTS or DTS MA.

With a high end full-on audio system, yes, you might here the difference,, but with a soundbar,,, I think not.

Just for the record, for anyone that might not be sure, the Yamaha S400 does decode Dolbly Digital and DTS,, http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...4&CTID=5000800

Cheers
Davyo
post #60 of 379 Old 08-09-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

If yor looking for "knock your socks off power" I dont think ANY soundbar is going to do that for you.

A nice 5.1 Onkyo system would be my first pick for that.

Cheers
Davyo

I realize it won't compare to my current 5.1 set-up. I recently sold my Klipsch CS-700 and need a comparable (hopefully) system. The Klipsch really blew me away with it's sound quality but was not 5.1. Now I finally got the the green light from the boss to equip the basement. It is has a funky layout...I may be able to wire in a 5.1 but figured a soundbar was the way to go. Heard great things about the JVC and ran with the idea. Now not so sure. Maybe I should have kept the Klipsch for the basement. Hindsight, hindsight, hindsight. Thoughts for a sub $400 option?

Thanks for all the info,

Nick
Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page