The Official JVC TH-BA1 Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 379 Old 12-01-2010, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
CSonntag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Back in the SF Bay Area
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petch View Post

It does power it down.. You just have to switch it to av1 and use the pwr button.

Yes, I know it does, which is better than having to use the separate remote. But if it'll power down the STB and the TV, why not the BA-1 as well? It's the principle of the thing....

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
CSonntag is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 379 Old 12-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Newbie
 
nsxviper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been reading this thread for quite awhile and decided to purchased the JVC TH-BA1 on Amazon.com. I do have a few questions I want to ask.

1) Do we need some special mount to mount the speaker on the wall?

2) I'll be using the sound bar for my PS3. I also have my computer connected to my HDTV as a secondary display.

What's the best way to get the audio signal from my computer to secondary optical jack in the sound bar?
My motherboard has an S/PDIF jack, so does buying a S/PDIF to optical cable a good solution?
Or should I use another optical cable and plug it into the TV?

3) I'll be using the sound bar in my bedroom. My bed or my computer chairs will serve as my seats. What's the best place to place the subwoofer? Under the bed or against the wall adjacent to my chairs?
nsxviper is offline  
post #183 of 379 Old 12-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Member
 
chopchop0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxviper View Post

I have been reading this thread for quite awhile and decided to purchased the JVC TH-BA1 on Amazon.com. I do have a few questions I want to ask.

1) Do we need some special mount to mount the speaker on the wall?

You need 4 screws and some plastic mounts according to the instructions. It will show you the sizes of the screws you need there.
chopchop0 is offline  
post #184 of 379 Old 12-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Member
 
Petch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Near Buffalo, NY
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post

Yes, I know it does, which is better than having to use the separate remote. But if it'll power down the STB and the TV, why not the BA-1 as well? It's the principle of the thing....

I get ya bro. I often don't bother which is not very environmentally friendly of me. I love the bar though it sounds great.
Petch is offline  
post #185 of 379 Old 12-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Member
 
Petch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Near Buffalo, NY
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxviper View Post

I have been reading this thread for quite awhile and decided to purchased the JVC TH-BA1 on Amazon.com. I do have a few questions I want to ask.

1) Do we need some special mount to mount the speaker on the wall?

2) I'll be using the sound bar for my PS3. I also have my computer connected to my HDTV as a secondary display.

What's the best way to get the audio signal from my computer to secondary optical jack in the sound bar?
My motherboard has an S/PDIF jack, so does buying a S/PDIF to optical cable a good solution?
Or should I use another optical cable and plug it into the TV?

3) I'll be using the sound bar in my bedroom. My bed or my computer chairs will serve as my seats. What's the best place to place the subwoofer? Under the bed or against the wall adjacent to my chairs?

If it was me I would run an optical from my TV to the sound bar. The would eliminate any possibility of lag.
Petch is offline  
post #186 of 379 Old 12-02-2010, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
CSonntag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Back in the SF Bay Area
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hey Petch, Got the following response when I posted to the Directv thread:

Unfortunately the D* remotes will not turn on/off your AV device with the on/off buttons, it will only turn on/off the D* receiver and TV at the same time. I don't know why they didn't make it so you could turn on/off 3 devices at once (D* receiver, TV, and AV device). Hopefully they will with the next generation of remotes.

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
CSonntag is offline  
post #187 of 379 Old 12-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Newbie
 
btnunya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks to the information provided in this forum, I am heavily leaning towards the BA1 as my soundbar purchase. My one question is about the connections. What will I be missing with the lack of HDMI support for the BA1? As it stands now, my TV, cable box and PS3 all have both optical and HDMI outputs. My audio amp is a a vintage tube rig, so no issues there and while my laptop has HDMI connections, I don't anticipate using it as an HTPC. Is there anything else I should consider?
btnunya is offline  
post #188 of 379 Old 12-07-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drfreeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
As far as sound, you will be missing little or nothing by going the optical route vs. HDMI. As far as convenience, possibly a llittle if you would prefer your soundbar to do the switching. In theory, HDMI would allow you to listen to recordings made with the newer hi-def formats. In practice, this is basically a non-issue with a soundbar as the sound is basically localized and there are not enough physical channels to playback all of the hi-def formats. From brief exposure to a few recordings done this way, you require good hearing and very good playback to realize this potential.

Most of these soundbars are designed to enhance the audio from your televison and most do very good at the job they were designed for. I have yet to hear one that was worse than the audio from the TV. Some of these are really very good and I am certain for some users could replace their music playback systems.

David Freeman
drfreeman60 is offline  
post #189 of 379 Old 12-08-2010, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petch View Post

If it was me I would run an optical from my TV to the sound bar. The would eliminate any possibility of lag.

That is an option, but in doing so your only going to get a stereo signal going to the BA1.

The JVC comes to life when its fed a true digital signal directly from a source, as in a direct connection to the JVC via an optical cable from a BD player or a PS3 (as example) is going to give you a much better sound and surround effect than the optical out from the TV to the JVC.

And setting your source to bitstream makes a big difference as well.

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #190 of 379 Old 12-08-2010, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
CSonntag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Back in the SF Bay Area
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

That is an option, but in doing so your only going to get a stereo signal going to the BA1.

The JVC comes to life when its fed a true digital signal directly from a source, as in a direct connection to the JVC via an optical cable from a BD player or a PS3 (as example) is going to give you a much better sound and surround effect than the optical out from the TV to the JVC.

And setting your source to bitstream makes a big difference as well.

Cheers
Davyo

I know my dvr (in my case, Directv) has an optical out. I assume it can be set to output bitstream as well?

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
CSonntag is offline  
post #191 of 379 Old 12-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Newbie
 
magnido45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post

I know my dvr (in my case, Directv) has an optical out. I assume it can be set to output bitstream as well?

This is a good question and thank you for asking it...I also have a DirecTV DVR and would like to know the answer...where does the setting to output the bitstream take place or how would you do this? Thanks.
magnido45 is offline  
post #192 of 379 Old 12-09-2010, 01:20 AM
Newbie
 
nsxviper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody have Gran Turismo 5? GT5 was able to detect DTS 5.1, but I am not sure what sound setting I should use. There's Automatic, 2.1, 4.1, 5.1 and virtual surround.
nsxviper is offline  
post #193 of 379 Old 12-09-2010, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drfreeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnido45 View Post

This is a good question and thank you for asking it...I also have a DirecTV DVR and would like to know the answer...where does the setting to output the bitstream take place or how would you do this? Thanks.

Don't know about DirectTV DVR's, with Comcast DVR your only choices are to output over HDMI, optical or analog and then whether you want analog or digital out. It doesn't specify whether bitstream or PCM. I selected optical an digital and receive 5.1 broadcasts when available.

For broadcast, sound, like picture is simply all over the place so I am just satisfied that I don't have to listen to he crap built-in speakers firing downward.

David Freeman
drfreeman60 is offline  
post #194 of 379 Old 12-10-2010, 02:40 AM
Member
 
Bryson777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a friend who is going down to Boston for the holidays and I am going to convince him to bring me back one of these soundbars. Where is the best place to buy the JVC soundbar?
Bryson777 is offline  
post #195 of 379 Old 12-10-2010, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
CSonntag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Back in the SF Bay Area
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson777 View Post
I have a friend who is going down to Boston for the holidays and I am going to convince him to bring me back one of these soundbars. Where is the best place to buy the JVC soundbar?
Got mine at a Fry's Electronics, although that's been a few months now. Not sure if they still have them, as they stated at the time they were being discontinued.

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
CSonntag is offline  
post #196 of 379 Old 12-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Member
 
chopchop0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson777 View Post

I have a friend who is going down to Boston for the holidays and I am going to convince him to bring me back one of these soundbars. Where is the best place to buy the JVC soundbar?

Can't post prices on this site, but in general, prices are better online than B&M. Besides, I have yet to see this soundbar anywhere except online (Best Buy, Wal-mart and such don't carry it I believe, and I don't live near a Fry's).
chopchop0 is offline  
post #197 of 379 Old 12-10-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drfreeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Best Buy did sell it on-line as did Amazon.

David Freeman
drfreeman60 is offline  
post #198 of 379 Old 12-10-2010, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post

Can't post prices on this site, but in general, prices are better online than B&M. Besides, I have yet to see this soundbar anywhere except online (Best Buy, Wal-mart and such don't carry it I believe, and I don't live near a Fry's).

Yep,,,, Frys is about the only B&M I have ever seen the BA1 sold at.

Online,, BestBuy and Amazon seem to have the best prices for the BA1.

Just a reminder,, if you purchase from BB you can return it at a store if you need too.

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #199 of 379 Old 12-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Member
 
bryn987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nashville
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Based on the reviews here, I'm leaning toward getting this. I have JVC xv-bp1 blu ray player and have been very happy with the quality of the player and hope to have the same experience with the th-ba1.

I do have a couple of questions:

1. Do you not need a receiver with this? I have a very cheap HTIB I would love to get rid of and if I could hook the bar up directly to my BD player, I would love it. Here is a link to the BD player and it supports - Dolby True HD, DTS
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-Home-XVBP1.../ref=de_a_smtd

2. Also, I have a 50" Plasma sitting on a tv stand and I'm not sure where to put the sound bar. I was thinking below the tv on the first shelf but that puts it pretty low (15 inches from the floor) and I'm concerned that it would dampen the effects. Is it possible to have it sit on top of the tv? Top of my tv is only 1 inch wide
bryn987 is offline  
post #200 of 379 Old 12-11-2010, 06:24 AM
Member
 
chopchop0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Yep,,,, Frys is about the only B&M I have ever seen the BA1 sold at.

Online,, BestBuy and Amazon seem to have the best prices for the BA1.

Just a reminder,, if you purchase from BB you can return it at a store if you need too.

Cheers
Davyo

It's only available as a refurb at best buy as far as I can tell. Better to buy new from an online store once you can confirm it's what you want.
chopchop0 is offline  
post #201 of 379 Old 12-11-2010, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
CSonntag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Back in the SF Bay Area
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn987 View Post

Based on the reviews here, I'm leaning toward getting this. I have JVC xv-bp1 blu ray player and have been very happy with the quality of the player and hope to have the same experience with the th-ba1.

I do have a couple of questions:

1. Do you not need a receiver with this? I have a very cheap HTIB I would love to get rid of and if I could hook the bar up directly to my BD player, I would love it. Here is a link to the BD player and it supports - Dolby True HD, DTS
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-Home-XVBP1.../ref=de_a_smtd

No, you do not need a receiver, as it has an integral amp and DD/DTS decoders. Just hook up your BD player via optical, and set it to output bitstream

2. Also, I have a 50" Plasma sitting on a tv stand and I'm not sure where to put the sound bar. I was thinking below the tv on the first shelf but that puts it pretty low (15 inches from the floor) and I'm concerned that it would dampen the effects. Is it possible to have it sit on top of the tv? Top of my tv is only 1 inch wide

I have mine sitting on the same shelf (top shelf of a media center) as the tv, however in this position it blocks the tv's IR remote window, so I need to either raise the tv or move the BA1. I will likely raise the tv, since my media center has a built-in rear mounting arm that I just haven't been using. The BA1 sound coming from the base of the tv may not be ideal, but it does sound WAY better than the tv's external speakers, and is a very easy solution. Mounting on top of the tv just seems a bit precarious, although I have read here that it can be done, depending on tv model and what the top edge looks like.

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
CSonntag is offline  
post #202 of 379 Old 12-11-2010, 08:03 AM
Member
 
chopchop0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post

I have mine sitting on the same shelf (top shelf of a media center) as the tv, however in this position it blocks the tv's IR remote window, so I need to either raise the tv or move the BA1. I will likely raise the tv, since my media center has a built-in rear mounting arm that I just haven't been using. The BA1 sound coming from the base of the tv may not be ideal, but it does sound WAY better than the tv's external speakers, and is a very easy solution. Mounting on top of the tv just seems a bit precarious, although I have read here that it can be done, depending on tv model and what the top edge looks like.

I just mounted mine above my TV using a couple of plastic brackets and a small wooden shelf from IKEA.



My brackets were white as to blend in with the color of the wall (although it really didn't matter since it was behind the TV).

The whole setup cost me $3.99. It does put a few screws in the wall, but I'm thinking mine will be a permanent setup for an audiobar, given my living room specs and vaulted ceilings.

It only works because my flatscreen is against a wall, and there is enough space behind to mount the brackets and the shelf. Alternatively, you could place 4 screws directly into the wall to hold it up above the TV.
chopchop0 is offline  
post #203 of 379 Old 12-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Member
 
bryn987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nashville
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the answers. One other thing, I was scrolling through my audio options on my BD player and did not see Bitstream as an option. Here is what I could do via optical:

SPDIF - PCM Stereo, DTS - Re-Encode, Primary Pass Through

Is bitstreaming the same as Primary Pass Through?
bryn987 is offline  
post #204 of 379 Old 12-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Member
 
TimJebsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Midland TX USA
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 2005 Panasonic plasma that is still working great at my house. However, it's a monitor, and I have all of the source units (AT&T U-verse, PS3, Nintendo Wii) hooked into my amp and two bookshelf speakers.

I started the process with an interest in upgrading the receiver - maybe a Denon 591. I was going to do it for two reasons: 1) using it to go to a "one HDMI cord to the television" after all the units plugged into the receiver, and 2) adding a center speaker and subwoofer to improve the overall sound.

The television and units are located on/in a fireplace in the center of the room - and thus there are many wiring issues to overcome. As a result, I have discovered that the Soundbar may be a great solution.

From my reading it sounds like the replacement of the amp might not be necessary with the soundbar - so, here's my question- right now, I have all of the audio connections going to the old amp (optical for PS3, component for Wii, HDMI for U-verse) and then speaker wires to the bookshelf speakers. If I purchase and add a soundbar, will I need to run three different connections through the fireplace (1-Uverse, 2-PS3, 3-Wii) to the JVC soundbar or would also replacing the amp with the Denon make it possible to have one connection to the Soundbar?

I hope this makes sense - thanks for the help and friendly advice!

Tim Jebsen
Midland, TX USA
TimJebsen is offline  
post #205 of 379 Old 12-12-2010, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drfreeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn987 View Post
Thanks for the answers. One other thing, I was scrolling through my audio options on my BD player and did not see Bitstream as an option. Here is what I could do via optical:

SPDIF - PCM Stereo, DTS - Re-Encode, Primary Pass Through

Is bitstreaming the same as Primary Pass Through?
Not 100%, but Pass Through does sound as if it takes the primary bit-stream data and passes through without encoding.

Try it. If the decoder on the soundbar does not recognize the input, it will probably remain silent. In that case, try the DTS option.

David Freeman
drfreeman60 is offline  
post #206 of 379 Old 12-14-2010, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
CSonntag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Back in the SF Bay Area
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I just noticed that the ProLogic II light is lit when I am tuned to a channel that is likely only being broadcast in DD stereo (e.g. local news station). This makes sense as I assume the BA1 is synthesizing a surround effect from two channels. So if this light is NOT lit, the BA1 must be receiving and processing a full DD 5.1 signal, correct?

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
CSonntag is offline  
post #207 of 379 Old 12-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Newbie
 
scoopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Boston
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks, Long time lurker, first time poster.

The whole soundbar forum has been incredibly helpful in my recent quest to set up a TV in the kids playroom. Yes, my wife could no longer handle the kids watching Phineas and Ferb in the living room that is connected to the kitchen while she was preparing dinner. So we set up another TV far, far away.

The area is a big 14x22 room with a high ceiling (12 ft I think). I put an LG 37LD450 in this room. It's too small for the room but all the budget would allow. Likewise I wanted to get better, but still stakeholder friendly, sound out of this setup since I'll often be relegated to this room for viewing as well, now that it exists as an option.

I looked at the Sony CT150 and the Samsung HW-C450 at Best Buy. The sound for each was OK but based on reviews in this forum I decided to try the JVC. I liked the connectivity of the Sony and the aesthetics/simplicity of the Sammy. But the Sammy sound just did nothing for me and the subwoofer placement on the Sony was going to be a challenge for me. I also worried about little hands being tantalized by the exposed speakers on the Sammy since the soundbar is mounted under the TV at about 4 1/2 ft height - in a playroom

My testing was apple to oranges since I listened to the Sony and Sammy at BB with who knows what kind of crappy signal feed and the sub's far from a wall/corner. But based on reviews here I bought the JVC without previewing first it and set it up at my house. I am very happy with the JVC compared to the Sony and Sammy, again apples to oranges listening, so not really fair but I'm OK with that. Also the JVC was a lot less money with various purchasing options I checked into at this time.

So far all I've done is connect the FIOS box (via HDMI) and the Wii (via RGB + Stereo plugs) to the TV and an optical out of the TV to the JVC. The sound with this setup is totally fine with me. I will try an optical out of the FIOS box directly to the JVC to see if that makes a difference. We'll only be using the TV with FIOS and the Wii for the foreseeable future. The FIOS remote easily handled the addition of the JVC. The remote powers it up/down with the rest of the components and does volume/mute.

With FIOS input I am getting the Dolby Digital & PCM lights on the JVC for all stations I've tried so far. I've listened to movies, the Palladia music channel and a few of the sound only channels. All good, good, good!

I've tried the two surround modes and they change the sound noticeably but don't do anything that I feel is a surround-like effect. No delays, echoes, perception of sounds moving around in a 3D field in the listening space. I'm fine with that and will continue to play around to see what settings I Like the best - I'm thinking about them more like EQ than soundfields. Regardless, the sound is so much better than the TV set that I am already very satisfied.

I'll update once I've played around with additional connectivity.

One last thing to note. I find music listening with this system to be very nice (FIOS music and music video channels so far). Some reviewers have commented about mid loss on this soundbar and really most all soundbars seem to get this rap. I don't notice that as a big problem at all but my main TV/Audio system has Cambridge Soundworks MC300's (yes, the McDonald's of HiFi) for the main speakers and a tiny Polk Subwoofer so I am already used to listening to a somewhat mid-scooped music experience.

Thanks again for some awesome threads in this forum everybody. I hope I've added some small value to the mix.
scoopy is offline  
post #208 of 379 Old 12-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
CSonntag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Back in the SF Bay Area
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopy View Post

Hi folks, Long time lurker, first time poster.

The whole soundbar forum has been incredibly helpful in my recent quest to set up a TV in the kids playroom. Yes, my wife could no longer handle the kids watching Phineas and Ferb in the living room that is connected to the kitchen while she was preparing dinner. So we set up another TV far, far away.

The area is a big 14x22 room with a high ceiling (12 ft I think). I put an LG 37LD450 in this room. It's too small for the room but all the budget would allow. Likewise I wanted to get better, but still stakeholder friendly, sound out of this setup since I'll often be relegated to this room for viewing as well, now that it exists as an option.

I looked at the Sony CT150 and the Samsung HW-C450 at Best Buy. The sound for each was OK but based on reviews in this forum I decided to try the JVC. I liked the connectivity of the Sony and the aesthetics/simplicity of the Sammy. But the Sammy sound just did nothing for me and the subwoofer placement on the Sony was going to be a challenge for me. I also worried about little hands being tantalized by the exposed speakers on the Sammy since the soundbar is mounted under the TV at about 4 1/2 ft height - in a playroom

My testing was apple to oranges since I listened to the Sony and Sammy at BB with who knows what kind of crappy signal feed and the sub's far from a wall/corner. But based on reviews here I bought the JVC without previewing first it and set it up at my house. I am very happy with the JVC compared to the Sony and Sammy, again apples to oranges listening, so not really fair but I'm OK with that. Also the JVC was a lot less money with various purchasing options I checked into at this time.

So far all I've done is connect the FIOS box (via HDMI) and the Wii (via RGB + Stereo plugs) to the TV and an optical out of the TV to the JVC. The sound with this setup is totally fine with me. I will try an optical out of the FIOS box directly to the JVC to see if that makes a difference. We'll only be using the TV with FIOS and the Wii for the foreseeable future. The FIOS remote easily handled the addition of the JVC. The remote powers it up/down with the rest of the components and does volume/mute.

With FIOS input I am getting the Dolby Digital & PCM lights on the JVC for all stations I've tried so far. I've listened to movies, the Palladia music channel and a few of the sound only channels. All good, good, good!

I've tried the two surround modes and they change the sound noticeably but don't do anything that I feel is a surround-like effect. No delays, echoes, perception of sounds moving around in a 3D field in the listening space. I'm fine with that and will continue to play around to see what settings I Like the best - I'm thinking about them more like EQ than soundfields. Regardless, the sound is so much better than the TV set that I am already very satisfied.

I'll update once I've played around with additional connectivity.

One last thing to note. I find music listening with this system to be very nice (FIOS music and music video channels so far). Some reviewers have commented about mid loss on this soundbar and really most all sounds bars seem to get this rap. I don't notice that as a big problem at all but my main TV/Audio system has Cambridge Soundworks MC300's (yes, the McDonald's of HiFi) for the main speakers and a tiny Polk Subwoofer so I am already used to listening to a somewhat mid-scooped music experience.

Thanks again for some awesome threads in this forum everybody. I hope I've added some small value to the mix.

Thanks for the review and thoughts scoop. I too am very happy with the BA1, thanks in no small part to the great info provided here by Davyo and others. I am lucky in that my tv (2009 Sony Z5100) will pass 5.1 through the optical from all signal sources, so I never have to change inputs on the BA1. Everything goes straight from the tv to the BA1 via one optical input. You do have one advantage over me however. That is that your FiOS remote will actually power the BA1 on and off. My D* remote will control volume and mute, but not power. So unless I want to use the dedicated BA1 remote every time I turn the tv on and off, I need to leave the BA1 powered on at all times. In fact, this is what I do, and I am hoping that there are no issues with doing this in terms of shortening the life of the components.
Cheers,
Chris

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
CSonntag is offline  
post #209 of 379 Old 12-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Newbie
 
scoopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Boston
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post

Thanks for the review and thoughts scoop. I too am very happy with the BA1, thanks in no small part to the great info provided here by Davyo and others. I am lucky in that my tv (2009 Sony Z5100) will pass 5.1 through the optical from all signal sources, so I never have to change inputs on the BA1. Everything goes straight from the tv to the BA1 via one optical input. You do have one advantage over me however. That is that your FiOS remote will actually power the BA1 on and off. My D* remote will control volume and mute, but not power. So unless I want to use the dedicated BA1 remote every time I turn the tv on and off, I need to leave the BA1 powered on at all times. In fact, this is what I do, and I am hoping that there are no issues with doing this in terms of shortening the life of the components.
Cheers,
Chris

Sounds like a Harmony is in your future.

Seems to get a lot of mention for issues like this with soundbars (and really any A/V remote control issues.) I have the same situation with my main rig: My Tivo and FIOS remote will not power up my Yamaha receiver no matter what codes I try. My wife wants a "one remote", "one button" solution so at some point I'll splurge for a Logitech to fix this.

And yes Davyo, the prolifically posting purveyor of soundbars was largely responsible for my consideration of the JVC.
scoopy is offline  
post #210 of 379 Old 12-15-2010, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopy View Post

And yes Davyo, the prolifically posting purveyor of soundbars was largely responsible for my consideration of the JVC.

Glad to have been of help,,,,, I love my JVC BA1,, but then again all that could change after I compare it side by side to the Yamaha YSP-2200

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
Reply Soundbars

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off