post #211 of 379 Old 12-16-2010, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Glad to have been of help,,,,, I love my JVC BA1,, but then again all that could change after I compare it side by side to the Yamaha YSP-2200

Cheers
Davyo

Crap, I can't afford to keep up with you Davyo! LOL!

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for chrissake!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 379 Old 12-16-2010, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you are facing the the back of the ba1 where are the power and audio connections?
post #213 of 379 Old 12-17-2010, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post

Crap, I can't afford to keep up with you Davyo! LOL!

Well if I find the YSP-2200 is better than the JVC, I wont let anyone know

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

If you are facing the the back of the ba1 where are the power and audio connections?

In the middle of the bar.

Cheers
Davyo
post #214 of 379 Old 12-17-2010, 05:58 AM

New to soundbars here and was highly considering this over the Sony 350 and Samsung 450. I will be hooking up a directv box and blue ray player. Am I correct in assuming that I would run and optical from the directv box and blue ray into the sound bar and then run the optical out into the TV? Would that be the best setup? Or am I completely off the mark?
post #215 of 379 Old 12-17-2010, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo807 View Post

New to soundbars here and was highly considering this over the Sony 350 and Samsung 450. I will be hooking up a directv box and blue ray player. Am I correct in assuming that I would run and optical from the directv box and blue ray into the sound bar and then run the optical out into the TV? Would that be the best setup? Or am I completely off the mark?

If you've got audio running from your source components (D* and BD) to the soundbar, then that's all you need. There is no need to run anything back to the tv. Why would you do that? OK, maybe if you wanted to use the tv speakers instead of the Soundbar, but again, why? You just need to make sure you are also running HDMI from each of those components directly to the tv to handle the video portion of the signal.

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
post #216 of 379 Old 12-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

Please tell me you asked this question because you don't own or have never actually seen a BA1...

post #217 of 379 Old 12-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cheers
Davyo

Yes I prefer to remain in my perfect happy little world...

post #218 of 379 Old 12-17-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post

If you've got audio running from your source components (D* and BD) to the soundbar, then that's all you need. There is no need to run anything back to the tv. Why would you do that? OK, maybe if you wanted to use the tv speakers instead of the Soundbar, but again, why? You just need to make sure you are also running HDMI from each of those components directly to the tv to handle the video portion of the signal.

Again, probably a stupid question here. If I'm running my box and blue ray through the optical inputs on the sound bar. How do I then run my TV through the sound bar? That's what I was trying to ask.
post #219 of 379 Old 12-17-2010, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Cheers
Davyo

muchos grassy ass
post #220 of 379 Old 12-17-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Again, probably a stupid question here. If I'm running my box and blue ray through the optical inputs on the sound bar. How do I then run my TV through the sound bar? That's what I was trying to ask.
The JVC only has two optical inputs and one analog input.

If your only video sources are a Cable Box and a Blue Ray player I'm not sure why you would want to run the TV to the soundbar; unless the TV was getting a third signal (i.e. like hooking up a CamCorder to replay videos).

If that was the case then you could do one of two things:

* Run your analog output from the TV to the sound bar.

* Consider running all your inputs to the TV and then run the optical out from the TV to the soundbar.
post #221 of 379 Old 12-17-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopy View Post
The JVC only has two optical inputs and one analog input.

If your only video sources are a Cable Box and a Blue Ray player I'm not sure why you would want to run the TV to the soundbar; unless the TV was getting a third signal (i.e. like hooking up a CamCorder to replay videos).

If that was the case then you could do one of two things:

* Run your analog output from the TV to the sound bar.

* Consider running all your inputs to the TV and then run the optical out from the TV to the soundbar.
I think I might be getting it now. Since the Blu Ray and Cable box are the only things providing video, then those would be the only two things plugged into the sound bar. Thus the sound bar itself is in no way connected to the TV. The HDMI would then carry picture and sound from the blue ray and cable box to the TV so I could just work off the TV speakers if i didn't have the sound bar on. Is that all correct?

Also, I would assume then that I would need two HDMI cables and two digital optical cables and that would setup everything i need?
post #222 of 379 Old 12-17-2010, 12:36 PM

Maybe a better question is...I have a directv box, blue ray player, jvc ba1, and a samsung plasma. What is the best way to set them all up to maximize sound performance of the soundbar?
post #223 of 379 Old 12-17-2010, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:

Maybe a better question is...I have a directv box, blue ray player, jvc ba1, and a samsung plasma. What is the best way to set them all up to maximize sound performance of the soundbar?

Optical from DTV to BA1
Optical from BR to BA1

If using an outside antenna for occassionaly TV viewing, either analog out from TV to BA1 if your TV has analog out, otherwise, look at Amazon for an optical switcher to plug multiple optical cables and choose the correct one via switcher.

In the event you require the switcher, I would still go direct from DTV to the BA1 and TV & BR to switcher to BA1. This assumes Direct is the majority of your viewing as it would be in most instances.

David Freeman
post #224 of 379 Old 12-20-2010, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I bought a JVC soundbar but realized it wasn't going to work well in my room. I placed an ad in the classified section but thought it might get some interest here. It is brand new in the original box and packaging, will ship for free with FedEx two day shipping

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/vbcla...do=ad&id=14798
post #225 of 379 Old 12-20-2010, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Feelgood View Post

I bought a JVC soundbar but realized it wasn't going to work well in my room. I placed an ad in the classified section but thought it might get some interest here. It is brand new in the original box and packaging, will ship for free with FedEx two day shipping

yah I saw this ad the other day. I was seriously this close to going for it. bummer cause your about 2 weeks too soon. Maybe I'll check back in 2 weeks. Im in Ontario Canada though.

Strength, Determination, Merciless, Forever
post #226 of 379 Old 12-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Feelgood View Post

No offense, but that's more money than they sell for brand new on-line from reputable dealers who not only have a return policy, but have 30 day guarantees as well.

Also, Open box units, like yours, are readily available for $188 shipped.

Chicken Run is WAY ahead of Citizen Kane....alphabetically speaking of course!
post #227 of 379 Old 12-20-2010, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodguy View Post
No offense, but that's more money than they sell for brand new on-line from reputable dealers who not only have a return policy, but have 30 day guarantees as well.

Also, Open box units, like yours, are readily available for $188 shipped.
I think his price is more than fair especialy since he is including shipping,,,,, shipping cost for him on the JVC wont be cheap,,,, I shipped a BA1 and UPS got me for well over $50.00,,,,,,,,,,, besides, its a fellow AVS member and the JVC needs a good home.

Cheers
Davyo
post #228 of 379 Old 12-20-2010, 02:58 PM

I just got my JVC BA1 last week and I hooked up the fiber optic cable from my TV G2554 to the soundbar and was a bit less than impressed but it did sound better than the TV speakers. This week I got a extra fiber optic cable and now have one fiber optic cable hooked up from my Blueray player to the soundbar and I have the other fiber optic cable going from my Cable TV box to the soundbar rather than from the TV and what a difference. The sound from TV programs is now great and the voice sync seems to be much better. This setup really made the soundbar come to life, very happy with my purchase.
post #229 of 379 Old 12-20-2010, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesthr View Post
I just got my JVC BA1 last week and I hooked up the fiber optic cable from my TV G2554 to the soundbar and was a bit less than impressed but it did sound better than the TV speakers. This week I got a extra fiber optic cable and now have one fiber optic cable hooked up from my Blueray player to the soundbar and I have the other fiber optic cable going from my Cable TV box to the soundbar rather than from the TV and what a difference. The sound from TV programs is now great and the voice sync seems to be much better. This setup really made the soundbar come to life, very happy with my purchase.
Set your BD player to output "bitstream" audio to the JVC, that will make a BIG difference as well.

Cheers
Davyo
post #230 of 379 Old 12-21-2010, 01:03 PM

Today I received a new Samsung 46" CN630 and a BA1. I am extemely disappointed in the BA1. At full volume (40) the sound is not what I'd consider loud. As a matter of the fact the TV will play much louder than the BA1?

It is in my living room which is L shaped with the dining room. The dimension of my living room are about 25 x 15. I hooked it up with an optical cable from the cable box to the soundbar.

Did I do something wrong or is this unit just not very powerful?

Thanks.
post #231 of 379 Old 12-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

I don't have this yet but 10bucks says it's some volume/output settin on
the cable box.

Strength, Determination, Merciless, Forever
post #232 of 379 Old 12-21-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Compact View Post

Today I received a new Samsung 46" CN630 and a BA1. I am extemely disappointed in the BA1. At full volume (40) the sound is not what I'd consider loud. As a matter of the fact the TV will play much louder than the BA1?

It is in my living room which is L shaped with the dining room. The dimension of my living room are about 25 x 15. I hooked it up with an optical cable from the cable box to the soundbar.

Thanks.

Agree with the poster above me. My JVC is sitting at 20 almost all the time for sound and sometimes that is very loud. I would play around with the different settings on the sound bar and check out the tv sound settings and even the cable box/dvd/bd/etc settings. Another option is to hook up the soundbar with another tv to verify the soundbar isn't bad.
post #233 of 379 Old 12-21-2010, 03:07 PM

I checked the cable box and indeed there was a seperate volume. However when I increased or decreased it it has no affect on the soundbar.

I am thinking about a new approach. I have a set of VERY good speakers. I think I paid about $400 a piece back in 1987 at Harvey's in Manhattan. I am thinking of just going with a decent surround sound receiver and these speakers. I also have an old BSR equalizer.

I currently am running a 25 year old Yamaha R8. One of the channels is bad and I always assumed it was the speaker but after playing around I have determined it is the receiver.

What do you guys think about getting a decent surround sound receiver and hooking it up to my speakers?
post #234 of 379 Old 12-21-2010, 05:19 PM

There is something on the cable box that is not set up correctly.
A digital out setting perhaps? There is zero possibility that when this soundbar volume is up it is not loud enough.

Are you really asking if hooking a new receiver to speakers is a good idea?
post #235 of 379 Old 12-21-2010, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks.

Yes,,, you are doing something wrong in the hook-up,,,, the JVC can get very loud.

Quote:

I checked the cable box and indeed there was a seperate volume. However when I increased or decreased it it has no affect on the soundbar.

I am thinking about a new approach. I have a set of VERY good speakers. I think I paid about $400 a piece back in 1987 at Harvey's in Manhattan. I am thinking of just going with a decent surround sound receiver and these speakers. I also have an old BSR equalizer.

I currently am running a 25 year old Yamaha R8. One of the channels is bad and I always assumed it was the speaker but after playing around I have determined it is the receiver.

What do you guys think about getting a decent surround sound receiver and hooking it up to my speakers?

Your ready to throw in the towel on the JVC ???? ,,, really,, its not the JVC,, its something in your hook-up.

Try hooking a BluRay player directly to the JVC via optical and set your BD player to output "bitstream" and then check out the volume,,, the cable box settings are your problem,, not the JVC.

Cheers
Davyo
post #236 of 379 Old 12-21-2010, 08:41 PM

I don't have a BD yet. I'm getting my wife a Samsung C6500 for xmas so I'll give it a try xmas day.

The speakers on the TV get louder at 75% than the JVC at 100%.

As far as the hookup Optical cable from Cablebox to Soundbar. Is there something else?

Is there a right and wrong way to connect the optical cable?

Does the quality of the cable make a difference?

As I mentioned adjusting the voulme on the cable box maden no difference.

I'll give it a try once I hook up the BD.
post #237 of 379 Old 12-22-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

Could you describe what cables you are using to hook things up?

I have the JVC soundbar and echo the sentiments it is plenty loud.

In a different room I was having flakey sound, poor volume most of the time and sometimes cut out. I found out that the optical cable I was using was not firmly connecting into the socket on my cable box - it was loose and flopping around. I tried a new cable and the sound problems went away.

This may or may not be your problem but a bit more description about how you've set everything up might help folks give you advice.
post #238 of 379 Old 12-22-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:

Cheers
Davyo

That YSP-2200 looks like a very different beast from the JVC and it's entry level competitors (like the sony, sammy and visio soundbars). It's a higher price point and it also looks like it is very short in height but very deep. That's probably OK for placement on a shelf in front of the TV or if you can sit it right on top of a TV that is angled or positioned off the wall. But if you want to stick the thing right on the wall floating above or below the TV the aesthetics might be a bit strange given the depth. But all those speakers look way cool!

So yeah, bring on the reviews in the YSP thread!
post #239 of 379 Old 12-27-2010, 05:48 PM

davyo, drfreeman60, and anyone else,
I just picked up the TH-BA1. I noticed it didn't come with any optical cable (toslink). I was just wondering if you guys recommend me picking up a certain cable or brand for the soundbar and if you guys have any quick tips or info I should know. Like should I just get any cheap cable from monoprice or amazon. I've read through this thread as well as a few others. I will be connecting my cable box and blu ray player directly to the soundbar. Thanks for any help.
post #240 of 379 Old 12-28-2010, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppa
davyo, drfreeman60, and anyone else,
I just picked up the TH-BA1. I noticed it didn't come with any optical cable (toslink). I was just wondering if you guys recommend me picking up a certain cable or brand for the soundbar and if you guys have any quick tips or info I should know. Like should I just get any cheap cable from monoprice or amazon. I've read through this thread as well as a few others. I will be connecting my cable box and blu ray player directly to the soundbar. Thanks for any help.
I just picked up some premium 3 and 6 foot toslinks from monoprice, and I can tell you they are very nice and well- built. The jackets are thick but still flexible, and appear to prevent over- bending of the cable, which leads to failure. The price is great too.

Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page