Official Vizio VHT210 Soundbar Owners Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-30-2010, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I owned this soundbar for about a week..I returned it to costco pretty quick, the sound coming from it was way too bright (hooked up via optical) and tinny. It didn't sound much better than my Vizio's built in speakers (32 inch 720p set). The form factor was PERFECT..execution of the product + the crappy range on the remote..not so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

I think you made a typo with the most users that compared the two prefer the Vizio,,, me thinks you ment to say, prefer the JVC.

Cheers
Davyo

How absolutely correct you are. I need to do a better job of proof reading. Or maybe get my wife to proof read since I seem to read what I was thinking and not what I was typing.

David Freeman
Old 11-01-2010, 11:28 PM

Liked: 10
I'm having a hard time getting the right subwoofer settings. I just came from a home that used a 2.1 computer speaker setup and their bass was not distorted and was clean and strong. The bass blew me away. I can't seem to do the same with my VHT210. Its either too distorted or no bass at all. I just cant find the right combination. Currently, my bass and subwoofer settings are both at 2 arrows right of center (+2). Subwoofer is placed under my TV in the corner. What are your bass and subwoofer settings?
Old 11-03-2010, 04:01 PM

I'm good with the bass (now that I'm on my 3rd unit).

First one had the horrendous whine.

Second one - the blue LED lights went out within 24 hrs.

Third one - Very faint whine to the point where it's only recognizable if you sit directly in front of it with no sound in the room. I can live with this because I'm tired of going back to Target every week. Also the blue LED's went out on this one within 24 hrs, but then came back on the next day and have stayed on for the last 3 weeks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

As far as the bass goes, it obviously depends on what you're watching. I generally leave my sub level in the center or maybe one arrow to the right of center. I keep the bass level 2 or 3 arrows to the right of center. I keep my treble about 2 or 3 arrows to the the right of what the bass is set at. My sub is behind a chair in the corner of the room about 15-20 ft. from the sound bar. This generally provides a clean, undistorted sound that I'm happy with, but again - it depends on what you are watching.

For the money, this bar really provides outstanding sound. I just wish it wasn't plagued with so many issues. This is my first Vizio product, and it scares me from buying anything else from them. Hopefully they will get all these bugs worked out.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Unless something has changed, Vizio does not assemble anything themselves. They contract out the work to various OEM's to manufacture equipment to their specifications.

I don't believe that I have heard any mass problems with their TV's like I have with the soundbars. Don't know who they subbed this out to, but they should look for another source. The basic design is very good and it is shame for their reputation to be soiled by either shoddy assembly or sub-par components within the unit itself.

This is sort of like Sony. I have no idea if they still manufacture anything themselves, but they have had more than their share of disappointing (from a quality control standpoint) electronics over the past ten years.

David Freeman
Old 11-12-2010, 07:58 AM
MLM

Liked: 12
I'm auditioning the Vizio now. The soundbar sits comfortably under my 50" plasma which is on a table. The bar itself sounds pretty good and looks good. The sub (really not a sub, just a woofer) is terrible IMO--one note midbass. Gives movies a kind of punch, but cannot play music IMO, even movie music. I've tried it in several locations. Back to the store it goes.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:16 PM

I've had this for aprox 4-5 months now. LED lights went out after 4-5 wks but Sams club didn't have any left so I kept it, as it works great. Who needs the lights? This past wk Sams Club got more in and was thinking of replacing it. Turn the soundbar on today and the lights are working, karma? As far as music goes, watching and listening to Crossroads "Little Big Town and Lindsey Buckingham" I'm impressed with the sound. My sub is in a corner aprox 1' from each wall on wall to wall carpet in my bedroom. I'm sitting 5' from the sound bar and 6' from the sub. For my sound field and needs I have to give this 3 thumbs up.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:51 PM

Liked: 11
I've been using mine despite the lights not working as well, though I'm just really waiting a month or so until Vizio ships hopefully fixed ones. Then I will return this one to Sam's for another new one.

I emailed Vizio customer support and they emailed me back telling me to call, LOL. Very helpful. Then I called and they wanted name, address, phone #, serial number, etc. Pain in the ass. After all that they have no fix and said they would replace it. I told them I'll just return it to Sam's since it would be easier. What a shame for such a "great sound for the price" item to have such crappy quality control.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:02 AM

Hi thinking about one of these for the bedroom with my 37 inch LCD I was looking on Vizios website and they seem to indicate that this unit supports Dolby Digital, SRS Studio Sound HD is this true someone else on Cnet said it only recognized PCM audio through it optical input so I'm kind of confused and hoping someone can explain before I make this purchase, and what about possible interference with your other 2.4 wireless devices. Thanks

Tom j.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:05 PM

Say someone can you help me??? Isnt it true that you can't get uncompressed 5.1 Dolby Digital from a optical cable it was my understanding it didn't have enough bandwidth I thought you could only get 2 channel sound. Just want to make sure I understand what I'm getting before I make the purchase.

Tom j.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt31 View Post

Say someone can you help me??? Isnt it true that you can't get uncompressed 5.1 Dolby Digital from a optical cable it was my understanding it didn't have enough bandwidth I thought you could only get 2 channel sound. Just want to make sure I understand what I'm getting before I make the purchase.

Tom j.

You're correct that optical cannot carry uncompressed 5.1 (and higher) audio. It can, however, transport DD5.1 and DTS. This soundbar can decode DD5.1 (but not DTS).
Old 01-11-2011, 04:17 PM

I finally returned my third VHT210 to Sam's Club before the 90 day window was up ... I waited so long because I was really hoping to see some progress on the quality control front. Since there was nothing, I replaced it with a Sony CT150.

Vizio sounded good but the CT150 clearly sounds better to my ears ... plus it has center channel adjustment, three HDMI and 2 Optical inputs. With the Vizio I was constantly having to adjust the bass up or down, as it often overwhelmed everything else. CT150 seems to kick the bass when it's supposed too. Oh well, would have stuck with the Vizio if I could ever find one that works but good riddance.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:37 PM

Does anyone know if there is a remote code that will work with a Time Warner remote - UR5U-8780L?
Old 01-15-2011, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csalt View Post

Does anyone know if there is a remote code that will work with a Time Warner remote - UR5U-8780L?

See if you remote has codes for sherwood receivers. It will vary from remote to remote, but typically one of these will function.

David Freeman
Old 01-18-2011, 02:08 PM

Davyo,

I just purchased the vizio vsb210ws. I like the smaller size and the dolby decoding of the VHT210 better but went with the vsb210 because it was available in a store whereas I would have to order the newer VHT. There must be alot of problems with the VHT as its no longer in stock at vizio. Do you think the VHT was equal (or even better) than the VSB. I want the VHT for the smaller size but afraid of the bad reviews.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

This is not exactly what you are looking for but - I owned the VSB200 (still do), the soundbar portion of your VSB210. Used it with a Yamaha sub-woofer, not the Vizio so this is not apples to apples. I have heard the VHT-210 in a home environment, and although not a side by side comparison, thought the newer model was definitely at least a small sonic improvement over my last year's model. Possibly better integration with the woofer as opposed to my home brewed setup. Detail seemed better and surround was definitly improved if that is important to you.

David Freeman
Old 01-18-2011, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way, what bad reviews. Most of the pro reviewers have given the VHT high marks and without looking back, don't remember any forum members slamming the new model. Of course my memory is not what it used to be either.

David Freeman
Old 01-19-2011, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekrouse View Post

Davyo,

I just purchased the vizio vsb210ws. I like the smaller size and the dolby decoding of the VHT210 better but went with the vsb210 because it was available in a store whereas I would have to order the newer VHT. There must be alot of problems with the VHT as its no longer in stock at vizio. Do you think the VHT was equal (or even better) than the VSB. I want the VHT for the smaller size but afraid of the bad reviews.

YES, the VHT210 is a noticable improvment soundwise over the older first generation Vizio bar.

The main problem with the VHT210 is the LED's kept failing but I think Vizio "might" have fixed the problem they would not admit too having.

I took a chance and recently got another VHT510 and so far the LED's are still working.

Anyhow, my opinion,, get the VHT210 and return the older Vizio you just purchased,,, the upgraded VHT is well worth it.

Cheers
Davyo
Old 04-03-2011, 11:30 AM

I need some help from people smarter than me. I just got a new TV...LG 60PV450. I plugged the 210 into the TV via optical output, and it works great on HDMI 1, which is Directv. However, I have a playstation 3 plugged into HDMI 2, and I am getting a thumping, repeating noise, but no audio. I tried switching out HDMI cables, and that didn't work, and then I tried switching from input 2 to input 3, and that didn't work. I even tried turning the TV speaker back on, and I wasn't even getting sound through those. I have no clue what's going on.

I did plug the PS3 into HDMI 1 to make sure ports 2 and 3 were actually working, and I again heard a repeating thumping type noise and no audio, so I know it isn't faulty ports. I'm sure I've got something set incorrectly on the PS3, or at least I'm pretty sure. Currently it is set as follows:

BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) ----> Linear PCM

BD Audio Output Format (Optical Digital) -----> Linear PCM

Can anyone please, please help me with this?

I have an optical switcher that I was using with my last TV, but I'd love to avoid using that again if possible...
Old 04-03-2011, 12:00 PM

I fixed it! Working perfectly now!
Old 04-22-2011, 10:30 PM

Someone please help. Twice since i've had the VHT210 the electric has went out and when it comes back on my soundbar and woofer need synced. I do exactly as it says in manual and that doesnt work. The first time this happen after a lot of searching the net I finally found the answer to fix the problem. For some reason, I either didnt keep those instructions or i've misplaces them. If anyone can help if would be very much appreciated.