Sony CT-150 vs Vizio VHT210 vs JVC TH-BA1,,,and others,, my at home shoot-out's - Page 4 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Soundbars > Sony CT-150 vs Vizio VHT210 vs JVC TH-BA1,,,and others,, my at home shoot-out's

Soundbars

tsig's Avatar tsig
11:14 PM Liked: 10
post #91 of 103
09-04-2010 | Posts: 11
Much thanks for all the good info in here, esp from Davyo and drfreeman.

I bought a TV (Insignia NS-40E560A11) that has all the inputs I need. It has 4 hdmi inputs and component inputs. I have a Tivo Premiere DVR, LG BD550 Blu Ray player and a Nintendo Wii. I may play around with something like a WD live or HTPC in the future.

The TV has a Coax Digital audio output and analog rca jacks output.

I'm looking to get a soundbar and like the Vizio and JVC suggestions in this thread. I don't need extra HDMI inputs and don't like the idea of having to keep the sub visible by my tv for the remote control access, so I ruled out the Sony.

Is there any benefit in running the components directly to the soundbar, or can I just run them all to the TV, then rely on the Coax Digital audio output to the soundbar? It would greatly simplify the cabling and remote control requirements if I could just do the latter.

I assume if the soundbar I choose has the optical digital audio input I can just pickup a coax to optical converter (Monoprice has them for under $15)?

Thanks.
drfreeman60's Avatar drfreeman60
03:46 PM Liked: 47
post #92 of 103
09-06-2010 | Posts: 1,805
I see little benefit to connecting everything directly to the soundbar. The only exception might be either a dedicated input for Blu-Ray or a game console if the spatial sound means a lot from either of these sources. Per Davey, this made a major sonic difference with the JVC. I don't believe he could tell much difference on his previous Vizio going direct. I have tried both methods on bars from Yamaha, Sony and Vizio and could never hear anything that I thought made the extra wires and switching worth the effort. Your surround is going to be simulated no matter which way you go. Try direct from a component if you think you might be missing something, otherwise your idea of all components to the TV and TV to the soundbar would probably be the simplest.
04:06 PM Liked: 47
post #93 of 103
09-28-2010 | Posts: 1,805
Davey

Thought I would hi-jack your comparison for a little update on soundbars for music.

For the past fifteen months I have been using the Sony CT-100 soundbar in the master bedroom for both video and music (CD's and MP3's). No complaints as this replaced an Altec-Lansing 3-ch soundbar designed for PC's. I had the opportunity to sell the CT-100 to a neighbor last weekend which worked out pefrectly as I now had the Vizio VSB-200 and Yamaha sub available for bedroom duty.

As most of you know, I felt that the Vizio soundbar was one of the true exceptional vaules in audio and used it for my home theater for the past ten months. The only time I did any experimentation with music was when I wanted to see what a big sub-woofer would sound like with it (Boston Accoustics from about 1996 - $700 at the time - 12" woofer - 300 watts - 75#). The results were absolutely horrible as the LF cutoff from the Vizio and HF cutoff from the sub left about one full octave of mid-bass stranded out in left field.

After setting up the Vizio in the Master bedroom, I got out an old Earl Klugh accoustic guitar CD and turned it on. I was knocked out. The Vizio was absolutely stunning. It was almost as if you could hear each string from Earl's guitar with you in the bedroom. I tried some old Steely Dan and Doobie Brothers records to see how it sounded on electronic music and was equally impressed. As long as you don't ask too much of the Vizio, it has wonderful timbre and an extremely open sound. Other than the fact that the music is coming at you from one location, much like the open sound you would get from a Quad electrostatic or Magneplaner distributed voice coil system (if I can really remember what these sounded like from the late 1970's).

If you are into classical music, it does well on Beethoven and Mozart piano concertos. Excellent attack of the fortissimo notes. It does not fare so well with full orchestral music. I tried a small amount of Wagner's Ring and did not feel that I had the Valkyries sailing through the room with me. The final movement of Beethoven's Ninth symphony felt a little lacking. But there are very few systems that handle those types of demands.

I am too lazy to move all of this back into the viewing room, but if any of you who love music and listen in a modest size room (master bedroom is 18x16 with 14' ceiling), this equals a moderately sized and priced set of separate components at a fraction of the cost.
kyyuan's Avatar kyyuan
10:46 AM Liked: 10
post #94 of 103
09-29-2010 | Posts: 115
David,

Thanks for the update on the Vizio. I also read your experience regarding JVC THBA1 . How would you compare the two? Thanks.
davyo's Avatar davyo
01:52 PM Liked: 11
post #95 of 103
09-29-2010 | Posts: 4,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyyuan View Post

David,

Thanks for the update on the Vizio. I also read your experience regarding JVC THBA1 . How would you compare the two? Thanks.

I know your question was for David but I will chime in as well.

Having owned the BA1, Sony CT's and both the Vizio's, the clear winner to me is the JVC BA1 as an overall soundbar.

For music, David is best to judge as I never really used any of my bars for music.

Cheers
Davyo
kyyuan's Avatar kyyuan
10:16 AM Liked: 10
post #96 of 103
09-30-2010 | Posts: 115
Thanks, Davyo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Having owned the BA1, Sony CT's and both the Vizio's, the clear winner to me is the JVC BA1 as an overall soundbar.

For music, David is best to judge as I never really used any of my bars for music.

Cheers
Davyo

kyyuan's Avatar kyyuan
11:15 AM Liked: 10
post #97 of 103
09-30-2010 | Posts: 115
Davyo,

One follow-up question. If I read your postings correctly, you liked the sound of Vizio 210 better. In the end, you prefer the JVC BA1 to the Vizio due to JVC's decoding ability. Correct?

Thanks.

Quote:

Cheers
Davyo

03:23 PM Liked: 47
post #98 of 103
09-30-2010 | Posts: 1,805
The JVC does a much better job of surround decoding as it is the first sound bar I have owned that actually plays back 5.1 correctly (although from four speakers all in the soundbar). Amazing detail that was totally absent for the other three soundbars I have owned. Since the primary purpose of the soundbar is to replace the pitiful sound from the current crop of most television speakers, the JVC is best that I have had hands-on experience with. Besides my personal units, I have assisted friends and family with several other soundbars as well as a number of mid-priced HTIB system. None of the HTIB systems, all less than $600.00, acheived anywhere near the clarity or impact of the little JVC.

For music, I have a dedicated audio system in my sunroom which is near audiophile quality for serious listening. I think I am in a minority when it comes to closing out the rest of the world and immersing myself in music.

I have always had some type of small hi-fi in the bedroom. The layout of the master bedroom in our condo did not lend itself to my small two-channel hi-fi when we moved, so those components were passed to a relative. I have since used a very nice Sony table radio, still in use in my office and then the Sony CT-100 soundbar. The Sony soundbar was more than adequate. But as I said, I had the chance to sell it last week and since I had the Vizio simply sitting on the floor, I took the money and ran like a thief. I was pleasantly surprised at the audio capabilities of the Vizio. Was not expecting that much. Sonic memory is never as accurate as we like to believe, but I do think it is very near the quality of the small hi-fi we used to keep in the bedroom.

The primary purpose of sound in the bedroom is to keep my 60# labrador somewhat calm during the day while I am at work, but sometimes it is nice to listen to music at bedtime or while getting dressed in the morning. And the Vizio sounds good enough to make you want to stop and listen. That is something that has been missing for at least three or four years.
davyo's Avatar davyo
03:54 PM Liked: 11
post #99 of 103
09-30-2010 | Posts: 4,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyyuan View Post

Davyo,

One follow-up question. If I read your postings correctly, you liked the sound of Vizio 210 better. In the end, you prefer the JVC BA1 to the Vizio due to JVC's decoding ability. Correct?

Thanks.

Kind of correct,,,, at first I liked the Vizio VHT210 better as far as the surround effect, but liked the JVC more overall.

In the end, after spending more listening time, I ended up liking the JVC more, for even the surround effect,,,,,, so the JVC BA1 all the way.

While the Vizio is a great little soundbar, the JVC just does everything better.

Cheers
Davyo
Iano's Avatar Iano
07:39 PM Liked: 10
post #100 of 103
10-03-2010 | Posts: 8
Quote:

Kind of correct,,,, at first I liked the Vizio VHT210 better as far as the surround effect, but liked the JVC more overall.

In the end, after spending more listening time, I ended up liking the JVC more, for even the surround effect,,,,,, so the JVC BA1 all the way.

While the Vizio is a great little soundbar, the JVC just does everything better.

Cheers
Davyo

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I found the VHT210 to be better by leaps and bounds in most tests that I performed between it and the BA1. The only time I felt the BA1 came close to matching the VHT210 was in a true 5.1 test, but for all other types of media (2.1, Netflix, etc.) I felt the BA1 to be incredibly flat sounding lacking crispness and detail. The bass is nice however. My testing was done via optical out via my TV with HDMI in for the 360 and PS3, and I also tried PS3 and 360 directly connected via optical. If I could get the BA1 to sound anywhere as near as good as the VHT210 in non-5.1 situations I'd consider keeping it. Any thoughts?
dataport's Avatar dataport
03:21 PM Liked: 10
post #101 of 103
11-11-2010 | Posts: 15
Dang - great reviews and comments. I had been turned off by Vizio when a friend bought an older version - and you had to be about 2' in front of it to control it. Does the VHT210 work any better?
One last thing. My LR is large - 20X20....would the Vizio or JVC work better in your opinion.
12:54 PM Liked: 47
post #102 of 103
11-12-2010 | Posts: 1,805
I have a room slightly larger overall than yours (16' x 43' to the back wall - 14' to 16' vaulted ceilings) and the JVC (current unit) and last year's Vizio could either fill the room with sound. Never got close to exhausting the headroom on either.

That was always a problem with my previous Yamaha YSP and Sony CT-100.
12:58 PM Liked: 47
post #103 of 103
11-12-2010 | Posts: 1,805
By the way, my preference would be the JVC. Sound is slightly better, especially bass and low-range. Also more connectivity and the ability to decode raw (bitstream) digital. Adds an extra dimension on some content.

Reply Soundbars

Subscribe to this Thread