Sony CT-150 vs Vizio VHT210 vs JVC TH-BA1,,,and others,, my at home shoot-out's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 103 Old 07-25-2010, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Over the last 2 weeks I have had at home and checked out the Sony CT-150, the Vizio VHT210, the JVC TH-BA1 and the JVC TH-BA3,,,,, and dont tell anybody,, a Bose Cinemate series ll.

I have also owned the Sony's CT-100, CT-500, Yamaha YSP's (almost all of them),,, the Zvox, the Vizio VSB210WS, the Philips and a few others I am forgetting,,,,,, yes, Im a soundbar junkie.

As long as I mentioned the Philips I have the need to say of all the soundbars I have ever owned the Philips was the biggest peice of crap ever made in the history of soundbar making,,,, just had to get that off my chest.

Ok,,, on with the verdict,,, and the winner is over the last 2 weeks of checking out soundbars,,,, drum roll please,,,, the Vizio VHT210 !!!! (sorry Sony lovers)

After the Vizio, the very close runner up would be the JVC TH-BA1.

It is important to say that really none of these bars I have owned sucked,, except for the Philips.
All of these bars have their pros and cons.

If you need the HDMI inputs then look no further than the Sony CT-xxx's, they are great bars and offer many features and put out some really good sound.

What I look for in a soundbar should be said so as to give a better understanding of how I rate what I feel is the better bar.
With soundbar's I am looking for ease of set-up, less wires, ease of use, and the most important thing, good sound and a sense of a surround effect.
I also hate reading manuals and hate clutered remotes and going thur system menu's.

With all that being said,,, here are my thoughts on all the soundbars I mentioned.

Vizio VHT210
Big, wide, room filling sound and a very very good surround effect, sub very good but not as good as the JVC's sub.
Dialog,,,,,, the best of all the bars.
The easiest of all the soundbars to hook-up and use.
Very happy with the remote and the controls offered on the remote.
The Vizio is so small and light you would not think it could not put out the sound that it does,,, but it does.
Its the smallest and the cheapest of all the soundbars,,, and in my opinion the best one,,,, the clear winner for me.

JVC TH-BA1
I also LOVE this soundbar and it was really close between the JVC and the new Vizio,, in another thread here I said I did not think the Vizio would win out over the JVC,,,, but the Vizio did win.
The JVC has more of a 5.1 sound to it and the surround effects are not as pronounced as they are with the Vizio and some might prefure that, the Vizio on the other hand has more of a "your in a sound bubble feel/sound" and the sound is more all around you.
I liked the JVC sub more than the Vizio sub, a bit more cleaner and tighter than the Vizio sub.
Dialog with the JVC,,, great,,, no problems at all,,, but the Vizio is just a tiny bit better with dialog.
The Vizio has a wider soundstage that extends farther out from the bar than the JVC.
The JVC's sound is more centered to the front than the Vizio is,,,and the JVC's surround effects are a bit less than the Vizio,,,, but I think the JVC's surround effects are better than the Sony CT-xxx's.

Sony CT-150 and the other Sony CT-xxx's
While the Sonys are very good I think I have come to the conclusion the only real advantage the Sony have at this point is the HDMI connectivity,,,, as in,, if you dont need the HDMI inputs I think the better choices would be the JVC or the Vizio.
To me the Sonys kind of defeat the reason for a soundbar, the remotes are very clutered,, they do require some tweeking to get the best sound and the menu system kinda sucks.
At one point in time I considered the Sony CT's the king of the hill,, I no longer feel that way.

Yamaha YSP's
What can ya say,,, they still might be the king of all the soundbars,,but they do sometimes need quite a bit of tweeking and they are more dependant on walls to bounce the sound off of,,, they are priced in most case's much higher than all the others and thats without a sub.
The menus are also a pain in the ass to go thru and the remote is almost as cluttered as the Sony CT's.
But still,,, I do love the Yamaha YSP's ,,,, just not my favorite anymore.

Vizio VSB210WS
My past favorite that served me well but my love now goes to the new'er Vizio followed by the JVC TH-BA1.

JVC TH-BA3
I really liked this system alot,,, but with the rear speakers and the power for the rears and the rear reciever I felt like I was dealing with and hooking up a 5.1 system,,,,, but if you want a more of a 5.1 system with discrete channels for the surround's this is the one to get,,,,I really liked the overall sound of the JVC BA3,,,, very nice system, great sound, great remote, and very easy to use.

Bose Cinemate Series ll
Yes, I know, everyone hate's Bose,,, I could care less.
The Cinemate I think is a nice sounding system,, I must admit I do kinda like that Bose sound,,, I owned one a while ago and just for fun tried it out again last week in my apartment/condo.
But given the price for the Bose and the lack of features one would be better off with almost any of these other bars mention,,,, except the Phillips.

Philips sounbar (I forget the model number)
The reason I forgot the model number is I am tring to erase the memory from my mind of ever buying this pile of junk,,, WOW,,, the biggest pile of crap ever made,,,, I would rather listen to my x-girlfriend bitch at me than listen to that Philips.

Zvox
Not that impressed.
To get more dialog you had to boost that level which in turn would diminish the surround effects,,, to get more surround effects you would boost the surround levels and lose the dialog,,, I could not find a happy medium between dialog and the surrounds.

Ok,, did I leave anybody out,,, I think I kinda covered all of them and the important things.

Any questions feel free to post and I will try and answer to the best I can.

Cheers
Davyo

Below
Some side by side picts of the JVC TH-BA1 and the Vizio VHT210

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 Old 07-25-2010, 01:26 PM

Liked: 10
first of all thank you for the detailed review!!
I was looking to get the Sony 150 but now am a bit confused...
The heaps of praise that you have put on the vizio does sound very good...
I mainly use my TV (Sony Bravia w series) for movies (PS3) and gaming (PS3 and Xbox), and would like more of that surround effect..
I dont care about HDMI connectivity as the TV can act as the HDMI switch..
what would you recommend considering Movies and games and Surround Effect as a major factor the vizio or the ct150

Thank you once again for your extensive review!! You sir are the king of soundbars
post #3 of 103 Old 07-25-2010, 01:37 PM

Nice write up.

2 questions:

1) You mentioned that for the Sony the only advantage you see is the HDMI. Why would someone need an HDMI? I have a Sony Bravia KDL32S3000 that does have an optical out. I have my Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD and my WD TV Live Plus hooked up via HDMI. Would I be able to take full advantage of the Vizio using the optical out of my set?

2) The obvious question - who is that sexy lady in the 2nd picture?!?!?

-P.
post #4 of 103 Old 07-25-2010, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogambokhushhua View Post

first of all thank you for the detailed review!!
I was looking to get the Sony 150 but now am a bit confused...
The heaps of praise that you have put on the vizio does sound very good...
I mainly use my TV (Sony Bravia w series) for movies (PS3) and gaming (PS3 and Xbox), and would like more of that surround effect..
I dont care about HDMI connectivity as the TV can act as the HDMI switch..
what would you recommend considering Movies and games and Surround Effect as a major factor the vizio or the ct150

Thank you once again for your extensive review!! You sir are the king of soundbars

Thanks for the kind words.
If you dont need HDMI connections and want a bigger fuller sound and surround sound then yes,,, get the Vizio,,,I had the CT-150 in my place for a short time last week and I can say for a fact the Vizio sounds way better.

As far as gaming, I cant answer that one as Im not a gamer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penone View Post

Nice write up.

2 questions:

1) You mentioned that for the Sony the only advantage you see is the HDMI. Why would someone need an HDMI? I have a Sony Bravia KDL32S3000 that does have an optical out. I have my Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD and my WD TV Live Plus hooked up via HDMI. Would I be able to take full advantage of the Vizio using the optical out of my set?

2) The obvious question - who is that sexy lady in the 2nd picture?!?!?

-P.

Yes, I use my display as my HDMI switcher as well.

Im not sure if you would be able to get the full sound if you ran your optical only from your display,,, most displays will not pass 5.1 thru the optical out, only 2.1.
I ran the optical out directly from my BD player to the Vizio so I was sure to get the best source input to the Vizio,,,, the rest of my stuff, HD cable and HD DVD are HDMI into my panel with the RCA outs for those to the soundbar.

The sexy lady is my x-girl friend,,,, I had her stuffed after we broke up.

Cheers
Davyo
post #5 of 103 Old 07-25-2010, 03:21 PM

Great analysis davyo!!! But not to be a pain , Why would someone need an HDMI for a soundbar ? What are the pro's for a HDMI/soundbar connection rather than an optical/soundbar connection?
post #6 of 103 Old 07-25-2010, 05:11 PM

Well i guess I am going to check out the Vizio, and just checked the specs of the of my TV and TV has 5.1 audio out.. so i think i can have the xbox, ps3 connected to the TV via HDMI and then the TV outputting the 5.1 to the soundbar..I would still have to check what all formats would the TV output..

BTW, a question to all audio experts out here..
say i connect the PS3 or any blu ray player to the bar via optical out, does the optical line support the HD audio formats.. i know that the diff may not be differentiated using a soundbar or even to a regular joe like me..
but just for a the sake of arugment, would the optical line carry all HD formats or for HD formats we would have to revert to HDMI...
post #7 of 103 Old 07-25-2010, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker_66 View Post

Great analysis davyo!!! But not to be a pain , Why would someone need an HDMI for a soundbar ? What are the pro's for a HDMI/soundbar connection rather than an optical/soundbar connection?

Thanks Laker

The pros of an HDMI connection to a soundbar over an optical connection to a soundbar you ask,,,, actually, ya stumped me on that one,,,, I cant think of any advantages that a HDMI audio connection has over an optical connection.

If anyone out there can offer up some examples of the pros of an HDMI connection myself and I think Laker woud like to hear those examples.

Cheers
Davyo
post #8 of 103 Old 07-25-2010, 10:24 PM

I wish I could send you a Pioneer soundbar to review lol.
post #9 of 103 Old 07-25-2010, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ftonm3 View Post

I wish I could send you a Pioneer soundbar to review lol.

Yes,,, send it,,, my address is,,,, Soundbar junkie, Las vegas, Nv,,, UPS knows me very well.

Actually I have wondered about the Pioneer soundbar but a few years ago I bought a 5.1 Pioneer system (home theater in a box) and was less than impressed with Pioneers sound (from that particular system),,, so I guess that made me lose interest in the Pioneers in general.

Although I did own two 60" Pioneer plasma's (one was the Kuro) and I loved those plasma's,,, back in the day when I liked plasma,,,, now Im more in the LED/LCD camp.

Cheers
Davyo
post #10 of 103 Old 07-26-2010, 07:08 AM

Davyo,

Really Excellent Review!

I've got one question for you though. I know you recommended most of the soundbars over the Bose Cinemate because of price and features, and that's definitely understandable.

My question is though, between the Bose and the VHT210, which sounded better in your opinion? I'm asking because I have the Bose 321 which has the features (Multiple Digital connections, Treble and Bass Adjustment, etc) and supposedly sounds better than the Bose Cinemate II because of the Gemstone Speakers. Your opinion on sound will help me decide if the VHT210 is worth me at least checking out.

Thanks
post #11 of 103 Old 07-26-2010, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maukey View Post

Davyo,

Really Excellent Review!

I've got one question for you though. I know you recommended most of the soundbars over the Bose Cinemate because of price and features, and that's definitely understandable.

My question is though, between the Bose and the VHT210, which sounded better in your opinion? I'm asking because I have the Bose 321 which has the features (Multiple Digital connections, Treble and Bass Adjustment, etc) and supposedly sounds better than the Bose Cinemate II because of the Gemstone Speakers. Your opinion on sound will help me decide if the VHT210 is worth me at least checking out.

Thanks

Glad you liked the review's.

The Bose Cinemate ll does come with the Gemstone speakers if you get the GS series,,, but the Cinemate has no more connections than the VHT210 has,,, matter of fact both the same exact connection's, one optical and one set of RCA inputs.

I owned a 321 series lll and it did sound better than the Cinemate series ll,, but I will say Bose are not really a good option these days.
They are just to high priced and there are so many soundbars out there that sound much better for 1/3 of the cost of a Bose.

I would really say to check out the Vizio VHT210 at home and if ya dont like it just return it.
Or, my other favorite,,, the JVC TH-BA1, that has 2 optical inputs and one set of RCA inputs and also you can adjust the treble, bass, sub and center channel level,,, and it decodes DTS along with Dolby Digital.

Cheers
Davyo
post #12 of 103 Old 07-26-2010, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Vizio VHT210 up-date.

OK,,,, I just ran into an issue that Im not sure what to do about,,,,, any advice would be welcome.

I have been planning on/thinkin about, getting another projector (a Panasonic AE4000) and was going to hook-up a soundbar to it and my BD player,,, problem is the VHT210 does not decode DTS, that's not really a problem using my LED/LCD panel and the optical out,,, but with a projector that's a different set-up since I will not have a display to put the HDMI into and take the optical feed from the display to the soundbar.

I will be running directly from the BD player right to the projector and running the optical from the BD player to a soundbar,,, since the Vizio does not decode DTS this could present a problem with projector use.

Geeze,,, I might have to hang on to the JVC BA1 since it does decode DTS.

Suggestions and opinions welcome.

Perhaps I will also post this over on the VHT210 thread.

Cheers
Davyo
post #13 of 103 Old 07-26-2010, 08:31 AM

some noob questions if you will...

are there any soundbars that decode the most recent audio formats such as TrueHD?

i have 3 components that i need to output - cablebox, bluray, and a ps3... you say the sony has HDMI switching, but i think i would prefer audio quality over that convenience. if i go the JVC route, which has 2 optical, i can hook up my bluray and my cablebox with optical outs... but what do i do with PS3? and if i keep all my current HDMI hookups for video, how do i specify where the sound comes from?

last question... are these controllable via Harmony remotes?
post #14 of 103 Old 07-26-2010, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

From an article

http://www.hippotechsolutions.com/?p=2490

1. Using your TV as an audio switch
Got an older non-HDMI receiver and want to integrate it with your system? Connecting your HDMI sources to your TV and using the optical output to your receiver should do the trick right? Wrong. While you'll definitely get 5.1 Dolby Digital from over-the-air broadcasts, virtually all televisions today will not pass multi-channel audio from HDMI to optical. That means the audio from your cable box, DVD player and game consoles will downgrade to 2 channel PCM when passed through your flat panel so keep that in mind. It's always best to connect each device directly to the AVR instead.

also

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/13062011.html

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_10...hreadID=344574

"You should be fine using optical. What HDMI gives you over SPDIF (optical or coax) is 1) 7.1 audio and 2) lossless audio, and 3) a single cable connection for sound and audio."

The opitical will pass upto 1.5Mbps and 6.1 channel sound. The HDMI connection can give lossless digital sound, I have seen it go as high as 20Mbps, big difference

Though for sound bars not sure it makes a difference

I asked before when someone was using the sony what audio format they were passing through .. did they have it set to DD or TrueHD but never got a answer.
post #15 of 103 Old 07-26-2010, 10:22 PM

Dude nice stuff. I wish you would give the Yamaha YHT-S400BL a try! I have the Ct-500 right now and I haven’t even had it for a year and the sub cracks and pops. I sent it to Sony and they said it was up to their standers, go figure!
post #16 of 103 Old 07-27-2010, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaurod View Post

Dude nice stuff. I wish you would give the Yamaha YHT-S400BL a try! I have the Ct-500 right now and I haven't even had it for a year and the sub cracks and pops. I sent it to Sony and they said it was up to their standers, go figure!

Funny you should mention the Yamaha S400,,,, when I was picking up the JVC the S400 was also at the store sitting next to the JVC,, I started talking with the salesman about the S400 and he told me it sucked and not to even try it out,,, it was hard not to laugh,,,, and it was even harder not to laugh when he started telling me the Bose Cinemate was better than any speaker bar made,,, I just shook my head and walked out with the JVC.

Its sad that these sale's people are just so stupid and give there stupid advice and opinions to others that are stupid enough to believe them.

But yes,, I have thought about trying out the S400,,, only probelm is the store that carries it is getting a little pissed off at me for my recent returns,,, I really dont want to get black-listed and told not to come back,,,, that happened to me at "Ultimate Electronics" a few years ago and I have not bought anything in there ever since.

Cheers
Davyo
post #17 of 103 Old 07-28-2010, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Below is what I posted over on the Official Vizio VHT210 thread, I have now changed my opinions and think the JVC is the better soundbar and even beating out the Vizio VHT210,,, I figured I would post it in this thread as well

I had the JVC boxed up and re-packed and all ready to return until I put on my new "War Of the Worlds" DTS BluRay,,,, I didnt know there was any issue with the new Vizio before that, as none of the other BluRays I used for testing were DTS and I had both bars hooked directly to the BD player via optical when I was doing my testing.
I would have discovered this issue with my first Vizio VSB210WS bar except I always had it hooked up to my Vizio panel and never directly to my BD player.

I spent all last night and part of today going back and forth between the Vizio VHT210 and the JVC TH-BA1, playing different BluRays and tring different audio settings on my BluRay and different connections with both soundbars.

I have not changed my opinion of how much I like the Vizio but with all the back and forth testing I have grown to like the JVC even more than I did in the first place,,, as in Im going to do a flip flop and call the JVC the better of the two bars,,,, and not just because of the DTS issue,, but because I honestly changed my mind and think the JVC has the better overall sound now.

After doing many hours of side by side playback here's my revised opinions.
I used a bunch of BluRays but for the last few hours used the "Dark Night" as my main test disc.

The Vizio puts out more surround sound and effects while the JVC puts out a tad bit less surround while at the same time Im finding a more realistic surround effect.

The JVC having the center channel level setting is better for boosting dialog while keeping a very nice room filling sound,,, the Vizio while very good with dialog is not as good as the JVC.

The more time I spent with the Vizio the more I started to notice that the effects were at time's almost over powering the dialog but at the same time the Vizio has a bigger sound,,,, but it is bordering on being exagerated,,, if that makes sense.

The JVC sounds more natural and the blend between dialog and the surround effects are more balanced than with the Vizio.

If you have the Vizio hooked up to a display and your taking the optical from the display to the Vizio bar the lack of DTS decoding is a mute point as your display will not be sending the Vizio a DTS feed via optical,,,, but if you want to run the optical directly from a BD player to the Vizio all is fine unless you want to watch a DTS encoded BD,,,, thats a big deal breaker for me right there.

If I get a projector I will have no choice but to run an optical from a BD player to a soundbar and since the Vizio wont take DTS and the JVC will, it makes that choice kinda simple.

But here is another problem,, when running optical from my BD player and playing a non-DTS BluRay the sound was better with the Vizio than taking the optical from my displays optical output,, in other words, the Vizio sounded much better with the optical feed coming from my BD player than it did coming from my panels optical feed.
But since you cant run the Vizio with a direct optical feed from a BD player and get DTS you have to use your display, which de-grades the sound in my opinion.

Is this post long enough yet,,,,, I can go on longer

Anyhow,,, I thought it best to explain that I now consider the JVC TH-BA1 to be the better overall soundbar when up against the Vizio VHT210,,, and like I said,,, its just not the DTS issue,,,, but it was the DTS issue that caused me to un-box the JVC and re-test both soundbars again.

And I do apologize for any pain or suffering I caused anyone by changing my opinion.

Cheers
Davyo
post #18 of 103 Old 07-28-2010, 11:00 AM

Thanks again for your efforts. Your info is great. I have a TH-BA1 on order. It should arrive at my door on Friday. I have 5.1 Dolby digital coming off of my TV, so it is my intent to run that to my sound bar. this will eliminate all complexity for my wife.

In your latest review you said "the Vizio sounded much better with the optical feed coming from my BD player than it did coming from my panels optical feed".

Could you provide a similiar comparison for the TH-BA1. My plaan is to set up the TH-BA1. I may buy a Vizio if one is available at my Target for comparison, if I am not thrilled by TH-BA1. In the end I have been biased to the TH-BA1, so if they are close it will probably win.
post #19 of 103 Old 07-28-2010, 11:27 AM

So, just for the sake of fairness, is there anything the vizio can do that the JVC can't? (Decoding-wise)
post #20 of 103 Old 07-28-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjj View Post

Thanks again for your efforts. Your info is great. I have a TH-BA1 on order. It should arrive at my door on Friday. I have 5.1 Dolby digital coming off of my TV, so it is my intent to run that to my sound bar. this will eliminate all complexity for my wife.

In your latest review you said "the Vizio sounded much better with the optical feed coming from my BD player than it did coming from my panels optical feed".

Could you provide a similiar comparison for the TH-BA1. My plaan is to set up the TH-BA1. I may buy a Vizio if one is available at my Target for comparison, if I am not thrilled by TH-BA1. In the end I have been biased to the TH-BA1, so if they are close it will probably win.

Your welcome jjjj.

So one thing you said Im confussed about,,,, you say you have 5.1 coming from your TV ,,,,, while there are TV's that will pass 5.1 via optical with over the air broadcasting I dont think any TV will pass 5.1 via optical with a BD player, HD DVD, HD cable box or anything else,,,, with any feed other than over the air the TV will convert it to 2.1 when it sends the signal out via optical,,, you will get a much much better sound by sending the JVC a direct optical feed directly from your HD source such as a BluRay player.

As far as any complexity for the wife, no problem,, if you have your display hooked up with HDMI's you dont have to even turn on the JVC, you can still use the TV's own speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corribus View Post

So, just for the sake of fairness, is there anything the vizio can do that the JVC can't? (Decoding-wise)

The JVC will accept and decode anything,, Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM and does Dolby Digital ll as well.
The Vizio will only do 2.1 Dolby Digital or stereo,,,,, decoding wise the JVC beats the hell out of the Vizio.

Cheers
Davyo
post #21 of 103 Old 07-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Your welcome jjjj.

while there are TV's that will pass 5.1 via optical with over the air broadcasting I dont think any TV will pass 5.1 via optical with a BD player, HD DVD, HD cable box or anything else,,,, with any feed other than over the air the TV will convert it to 2.1 when it sends the signal out via optical,,, Cheers
Davyo

Actually, from what I understand over in the Sony xxZ5100 owner forum, the Z series Sonys WILL pass 5.1 through the optical regardless of the input/source used. So it will receive the 5.1 DD signal from a Blu-Ray or an HD DVR as well as over-the-air broadcasting.

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #22 of 103 Old 07-28-2010, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

while there are TV's that will pass 5.1 via optical with over the air broadcasting I dont think any TV will pass 5.1 via optical with a BD player, HD DVD, HD cable box or anything else,,,,

Cheers
Davyo

I discovered that my 2009 Panny S1 does output 5.1 over optical that comes in from my Sony HDDVR when playing back a recording. The manual says it doesn't do that, but it did. I never tested my BD player because I wanted everything connected to my CT-350.
post #23 of 103 Old 07-28-2010, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
well dave thanx for all these infos...it's really really too bad you cant' get the yamaha s400, as reviews in Europe/asia have been very good....if you do find a way to get one please do

maybe you will find that yamaha can actually do someting that is not a sound projector!
post #24 of 103 Old 07-29-2010, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok,,,, a correction for Possum and everyone else,,,, and also some time for me to eat some crow.

You CAN connect the Vizio directly to a BD player and get it to accept a DTS feed,,,, after Possums post and a few others I dug out my BD player manual and found I had missed the setting option in my BD player for DTS to PCM.

Perhaps we could re-name this thread "Davyo is a dumb-ass".

With the Vizio now getting a DTS PCM feed it works and plays fine,,,, no longer any issues with DTS and the Vizio VHT210,,,,, before anyone rags on me for posting incorrect information, dont bother,,,, I already feel bad enough.

As a soundbar junkie I always try to give the most honest, best, opinions of any bar I am posting about and in this case I screwed up,,,, my personal apology to the Vizio VHT210,,, I hope I didnt hurt it's feelers.

In light of my screw-up has my opinions of the Vizio vs the JVC changed ?,,, a little,,, with the DTS to PCM feed the dialog did get much better with the Vizio so the dialog is not overpowered by the surround effects as they were in my other shoot-out.

As far as which bar I think is better,,,, at this point Im going to say they are both completly equal.
As far as which bar am I going to keep and which one gets returned,,, I dont know that one either,,, if I had to pick between one bar or the other I guess I would say I would keep the JVC,,,, aside from my DTS issue being resolved I still think the JVC has the slight edge in overall sound quality.

Im thinkin I might just keep both soundbars and change them up every so often when I get bored.

Ok,,,, Im going to go crawl in a hole now because of my screw-up

Cheers
Davyo
post #25 of 103 Old 07-29-2010, 05:23 AM

With the JVC, which is the best way to run my sources to get the best sound/decoding etc
I have a
PS3 for games and Bluray, DVR Cable box, Media player, and a Samsung Plamsa TV.
All have HDMI/Optical/RCA
post #26 of 103 Old 07-29-2010, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big 'O' View Post

With the JVC, which is the best way to run my sources to get the best sound/decoding etc
I have a
PS3 for games and Bluray, DVR Cable box, Media player, and a Samsung Plamsa TV.
All have HDMI/Optical/RCA

With the JVC,,, I would do BD and cable box directly to the JVC's two optical inputs, then the PS3 and and media player to the plasma and use the plasma's RCA out to the JVC's RCA in.

With all the connections you need to make you might want to look at one of the Sony CT-XXX's if you dont need the wireless sub.

While I do think the JVC is the better sounding of the two brands the Sony is also an exellent little system.

Cheers
Davyo
post #27 of 103 Old 07-29-2010, 10:53 AM

Thanks Davyo, actually the Bluray is my PS3 so there are only 3 devices.

It's just really hard to find any soundbar in Toronto. Can't find the JVC anywhere. The sony's are only available at sonystyle.ca and the 150 is $499 and the 350 is $699.
I haven't been able to find anything other then the samsung 450 anywhere.
The Yamaha S400 is at costco but it's $599.
The price differences are insane.
post #28 of 103 Old 07-29-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big 'O' View Post

Thanks Davyo, actually the Bluray is my PS3 so there are only 3 devices.

It's just really hard to find any soundbar in Toronto. Can't find the JVC anywhere. The sony's are only available at sonystyle.ca and the 150 is $499 and the 350 is $699.
I haven't been able to find anything other then the samsung 450 anywhere.
The Yamaha S400 is at costco but it's $599.
The price differences are insane.

Amazon carries the BA1 and the BA3 and the Amazon prices are in line with the lowest US prices.

How much are the CAN prices for you on the JVC's from Amazon.com ?

Perhaps a little drive across the border might be an idea,, if you can get past the RCMP's.

Cheers
Davyo
post #29 of 103 Old 07-29-2010, 12:21 PM

[quote=The Big 'O';18977078
It's just really hard to find any soundbar in Toronto.
[/QUOTE]

One word: Buffalo. Stop off in NOTL for fish & chips and wash it down with a Sleeman. Used to make the run a lot back in the day. Go Leafs!
post #30 of 103 Old 07-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

why is it so hard to find a sound bar =(

i want one with good sound .. but i need hdmi right now i just have a PS3 but will be making a HTPC in the future ( so HDMI there ).

the S400 looks good but the price ugh ..

i guess i will go with sony ,, but hearing how these sound better .... and also not sure if i should get the 150 or 350 ...
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page