Sony HT-CT350 VS Bose CineMate® GS Series II - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-08-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I am a newbie here and would love to benefit from your knowledge guys.

As you can see for the title of my post, I am looking for a easy to set up 2.1 or 3.1 system to enhance my TV speakers.

I know i can not expect same results as a 5.1 system, but I will switch to a full and nice 5.1 or 7.1 system in the future, when I will have a bigger living room.

As well for a question of room, I would like to avoid for the time being a large amp/Receiver. (but could go for a thin and not too expensive one)

I went to BestBuy and was quite impress by the Bose system, sound sounds really really nice. I did not see the HT-C350 but tried the HT-C150 and was quite dissapointed. But I know too that BestBuy large open space is not the best place for this kind of system.

Here is my current set up and what I would like to plug-in:

- Sony 40Bravia XBR9
- Cable Set up box
- PS3
- Ipod/Iphone.

For the Sony:

Pro: HDMI connectivity, Price (compare to Bose), IPOD dock (for 40USD more), Bravia Sync for the remote.
Anti: all ports on the subwoofer, worried about the surround results. Can this system really offer something close to 5.1??

For the Bose:

Pro: Sounds seems to rocks.
Anti: only 1 Optic and 1 RCA connectivity, Price.

Please let me know what do you think or if you have any other recommendation.

Thanks in advance.

Nounours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-08-2010, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

JMO, but for the $800 you'd need to spend to get the Bose system, you could get an actual 5.1 system now. Put the bulk of the money, say $600, into speakers and a subwoofer. For example, these would stand you in good stead even "when I will have a bigger living room".

2 x Polk Audio Monitor 50, FL/FR, $200 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290013)
2 X Polk Audio Monitor 30 Series II, SL/SR, $100 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290200)
1 x Polk Audio CS1, Center, $100 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290210)
1 x BIC F-12, Subwoofer, $182, (http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/...er_id=!ORDERID!)

NOTE: Monitor 30 Series II and CS1 prices are good through 8/8 but IIRC, NewEgg does these sales every weekend.

Then stop in at J&R (since you're name implies you're in NYC) and pick up a refurbished or open box receiver.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-08-2010, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks you but this seems far to big for our place, no way my wife will let it go.

I went to look Polk website and I saw their RM8 series.

I could eventually do a 3.1 with those tiny speakers but I would indeed need a receiver. those stuff are so big that I would need to change my media console....But I might have a further look.

I definitely want to see the sony HT-350 in display...If the sound is good with a little of surround, this is definitely what fits the most my needs for the moment.

Bose is too pricey, the sounds is impressive but seems kind of fake, over powered, the poor connectivity...not for me.

but thanks for your advice, I might go to J&R tomorrow, went already 3 times at BestBuy this week end
post #4 of 13 Old 08-08-2010, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
There are much better options than the Bose,, I recently had one and a buch of soundbars at home,, here is my little shoot-out thread link,,,
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1265374

For what your looking for I would take a look at the JVC BA1 and JVC BA3,, way more features and conectivity than the Bose.

The new Vizio "might" also be a consideration but it has the same conectivity as the Bose.

While the Bose does sound really good in the store they dont sound as good when you get them home, the Bose does not suck at home by no means,,, there's just way better choice's for far less money that sound better than the Bose.

Cheers
Davyo
post #5 of 13 Old 08-08-2010, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link, super informative.
Did you by chance see the HT-C350?? Wondering if it could be the new market reference (ok I am kind of a Sony fan....lol...and I have some good china town price on SONY too)
post #6 of 13 Old 08-08-2010, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NounoursNYC View Post

Thanks for the link, super informative.
Did you by chance see the HT-C350?? Wondering if it could be the new market reference (ok I am kind of a Sony fan....lol...and I have some good china town price on SONY too)

I've owned the CT-100, CT-500 and CT-150, but not the CT-350.

Cheers
Davyo
post #7 of 13 Old 08-08-2010, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

JVC BA1 and JVC BA3 look definitly cool. Need to see them too.

Thanks
post #8 of 13 Old 08-09-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
As far as the Sony's go, from what I have read, there is almost zero difference in sound between the two units. I believe the 350 will play slighly louder, but the tonal balance and surround effect are about the same. I currently have reservations as to Sony quality control as it seems a lot of buyers are reporting problems in the CT-150/350 thread and there were numerous reported problems on the previous models also.

You will not get 5.1 sound from any reasonably priced soundbar. You will get a very good simulated surround from a number of these (Sony / JVC / Vizio).

If considering the Vizio, it requires either analog out or the ability to change your TV's output from bitstream to PCM for optical.

If considering the Sony's, the remote sensor is on the subwoofer which means the sub needs to be in the line of sight.

A good universal remote (Logitech) also helps in bringing everything together for seamless operation.

David Freeman
post #9 of 13 Old 08-09-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

I currently have reservations as to Sony quality control as it seems a lot of buyers are reporting problems in the CT-150/350 thread and there were numerous reported problems on the previous models also.

just curious, could you gives some examples of the problems the CT has?
so far i haven't experience any problems, but i might just not notice
post #10 of 13 Old 08-09-2010, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by low_moe View Post

just curious, could you gives some examples of the problems the CT has?
so far i haven't experience any problems, but i might just not notice

I haven't noticed "a lot" of buyers reporting problems. Only two recently that I can think of although perhaps my memory is failing me. One was getting audio dropouts and they haven't posted again to say if using a different HDMI cable fixed it. Another said they were hearing popping noises even when the unit was off. That one would of course be a concern. There have also been a few that say they don't get enough volume. Most of the people posting though seem quite satisifed (including me )
post #11 of 13 Old 08-12-2010, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so for those who care, i finally changed my opinion and I just bought a sony receiver STR-DH710 for 200 USD (China town price).

Indeed, I was really not convince by the sound bar, neither by the Bose.

So I thought that I should start by the basis, a good receiver and I am now looking for a 2.1 or 3.1 system.

I will switch to 5 or 7.1 in my next apartment and think this kind of receiver can last for at least 10 years.

I hope I did the good choice...and now I would like to spend something like 150USD for some cute satellite + sub-woofer. Total cost 350 which is more or less the price of a sound bar....
post #12 of 13 Old 08-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NounoursNYC View Post

Ok so for those who care, i finally changed my opinion and I just bought a sony receiver STR-DH710 for 200 USD (China town price).

Indeed, I was really not convince by the sound bar, neither by the Bose.

So I thought that I should start by the basis, a good receiver and I am now looking for a 2.1 or 3.1 system.

I will switch to 5 or 7.1 in my next apartment and think this kind of receiver can last for at least 10 years.

I hope I did the good choice...and now I would like to spend something like 150USD for some cute satellite + sub-woofer. Total cost 350 which is more or less the price of a sound bar....

i was looking for a soundbar at first ... you see my posts here.. but i got myself a set of monitor 60's ( was on sale ) .. i am using a old receiver ( waiting for one i want to go on a sale ) .. and i got to say i'm very happy. I am also planning a 3.1 setup and right now 2.0. Though my wife isn't too happy due to the size of the speakers
post #13 of 13 Old 08-13-2010, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

"cute satellite"?? Your on your own with that. LOL
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page