Corner TV Setup - Will a Soundbar Produce Good Virtual Surround Sound? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-09-2010, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a corner TV setup and that will not change. I'm very interested in a soundbar for the virtual surround sound, but I can't find any articles or posts related to a corner TV setup. With the soundbar in a corner configuration, will the sounds still bounce off the walls to product nice sounding virtual surround sound?

If yes, what model would best fit my configuration? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-10-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
If you have walls to each side of your corner TV setup, a soundbar should produce reasonable simulated surround. Possibly better than on a flat wall as the walls should be closer and uniform in their distance from the soundbar drivers. I have tried a Yamaha Sound Projector, Sony CT-100 and currently a Vizio. I was not overly pleased with the virtual surround modes from any of the three. All had a processed sound to my ears with the Vizio sounding the least processed (at about 1/16th the cost of the Yamaha).

I still on occassion turn on the surround processing on the Vizio and once I let my ears become accustomed to it, it is really not bad. For the most part, I purchased soundbars to give me better sound than the absymal sound that comes from any of the HD TV's I have owned. At this, all proved more than adequate. I lived with the Yamaha for three years, the Sony for two months and the Vizio now for ten months. My preference for the Vizio is based on it having better dynamics and better voice than the other two. It also does better for music than either of the others. However, you have to have a system that will either output PCM to use with the Vizio's optical input or a TV with ananlog (RCA) out.

Daveyo's reveiw of the JVC BA1 has moved this to the head of my list. Other reviews have praised the BA1 on music. I had also considered the Yamaha YST-400, but have ruled it out after discovering the subwoofer is located in the receiver enclosure. This means the receiver/subwoofer would need to be in line of sight for the remote plus the vibration from the sub can't be good for the internals of the other components including the TV.

David Freeman
post #3 of 7 Old 08-10-2010, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

If you have walls to each side of your corner TV setup, a soundbar should produce reasonable simulated surround.

One side is wall, the other a large living room window. What are your thoughts about this?

I'm still on the fence if I should get a soundbar with a subwoofer or not because of my setup.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-11-2010, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ.49er View Post

One side is wall, the other a large living room window. What are your thoughts about this?

I'm still on the fence if I should get a soundbar with a subwoofer or not because of my setup.

The window will be no problem at all, glass reflects sound very nicely (as long as you dont have curtains covering the window).

Corner set-up "should" work as well.

Since your concern is a good surround effect,,, my picks would be the JVC BA1 or the new Vizio VHT210,,, both those bars create a very good surround sound.

Cheers
Davyo
post #5 of 7 Old 08-20-2010, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

We bought the Vizio VHT210 because it was available locally. It cost $160 more than the Vizio VSB200 (no subwoofer). I'd like to save money if I could, but is the VSB200 good enough in the virtual surround sound department? I'm not sure if I should keep the VHT210 (still in the box just in case I have to return it) or the subwoofer-less VSB200.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-20-2010, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ.49er View Post

We bought the Vizio VHT210 because it was available locally. It cost $160 more than the Vizio VSB200 (no subwoofer). I'd like to save money if I could, but is the VSB200 good enough in the virtual surround sound department? I'm not sure if I should keep the VHT210 (still in the box just in case I have to return it) or the subwoofer-less VSB200.

Stick with the VHT210 as it decodes Dolby Digital and that does make a big difference.

I owned the first gen Vizio bar w/sub and loved it,,, but the new'er VHT210 is WAY better soundwise and surround effect wise as well,,, and a better remote too.

I cant stress enough how much better off you will be keeping the VHT210,, it is a very big improvment over the VSB200.

Un-box it, set it up and keep it,,,, you should be very happy with it,,,, just make sure to have your DVD, BluRay or what ever you are using set correctly for the audio feed.
A big mistake many people make is getting a soundbar or any system for that matter and not correctly setting the audio feeds.

CHeers
Davyo
post #7 of 7 Old 08-23-2010, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

We unboxed it and watched the movie 2012. Since I didn't have any optical/toslink cables, I had to set it up using the supplied RCA cables. Sound quality is very much improved, but I didn't experience the surround sound. It's probably because I was using the analog RCA cables. I will test it out again this week when I get the optical/toslink cable.
Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page