Sound for Plasma AND Projector on different walls - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-11-2010, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted this on the speaker forum earlier where I had been receiving speaker advice and thought I would give it a shot here as this issue really is about the soundbar...

I will shortly be finishing my HT "area" in my basement. Thanks to advice from here on AVS I scrapped any thoughtless, uneducated idea I had for my sound system...ended up doubling my budget...I know it pales in comparison to others on here but I ended up with the Infinity Primus setup. 362s for fronts, 350 center, 142s for rear surrounds. Bic F12 on the way. I am fairly excited...compared to my previous setup upstairs it will be a huge improvement.

Here is my question before getting my AVR:

This Primus setup will be set up for the 65" Plasma on WALL A. I have also prewired for a ceiling mounted projector (96-100" screen will potentially be used if I follow through with the projector down the road in addition to the plasma). The projector screen will on WALL B that is perpendicular to the plasma's left. Is there a way to use one AVR to drive the sound for both? I obviously can't use the current speaker setup as the fronts will be on wall A to the side of the projector screen (Wall B). I had always thought I could somehow just add a "decent" soundbar above the projector screen using the same AVR for whenever I used the projector. Now...I am unsure if this is possible. They would not be used simultaneously...an either or situation. The projector would be used rarely for big games and occasionally for watching game film with my team if I decide to return to coaching this year.

Can this work? How so? I was going to get the Onkyo 608 this week.

I should also ask if this can be setup from the video side as well? Can I use the video switching to get the picture to the projector and the sound to a sound bar without moving wires around everytime?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-12-2010, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
On the sound side, I don't think there is an audio receiver that would allow the connections you're seeking. However, if you are considering a soundbar for use with the projector, most have their own amplification channels and do not require a receiver or amplifier. There are good units for as little as $100 all the way up to the multiple thousands of dollars. And, don't judge any soundbar by the price or any normal criteria you would use for selecting a hi-fi or surround system.

As far as the video switching, I know there are professional units out there that can accomplish what you are looking for, but again, you are probably talking at least one thousand dollars, probably more. Depending on what content you would be using with your projector, you would probably come out better purchasing dedicated components (Blu-Ray) to connect directly to the projector.

David Freeman
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page