Help deciding wich soundbar is the best - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-17-2010, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everybody! I'm a long time lurker on this forum and decided to subscribe in order to get your advice on wich soundbar I should get. I already have a Logitech Z5300 paired with Creative DTS 100 wich I'm really happy with. But I want to lose some wires behind my tv set. I read your reviews about the JVC Th-BA1 but I'm not able to find it at decent price in canada. Also looked at Vizio offerings but still not convinced... I also check Sony Ht-Ct150 and 350. The main use for this kit will be music and movies. Thx in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-17-2010, 11:14 AM

We suck here in Canada for Sound Bars.
You can find a Yamaha YSP 600 (and sub) on sale at 2001 audio video for 599 or 699.
Yamaha YHT S400 at Costco.ca (only online) for 599
Sony CT150 at Sonystyle.ca for 499
Sony CT350 at Sonystyle.ca for 699
Samsung HW C-450 anywhere 499 (Best Buy has it on sale for 399)

Top Choice electronics (Woodbridge Ont) has a few other models, and Bestbuy has a Boston Acoustic too.

If you know someone with a direct buy membership Samsung HW C-450 is 300, JVC TH-BA1 is 324 (but may be out of stock due to being discontinued).

If you know any other places that sell soundbars, or the sony's le me know too.
The bad thing about buying electronics in the US is the warranty isn't transferrable (so I've heard) and some of the products aren't canadian certified so if something happens like it catches fire and burns in your home, your home insurance would not cover the damage.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-17-2010, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thx for the info! I wasn't aware of the YST400 ...seems to be an interesting choice even though it's a bit pricey. And I agree we do suck in canada
post #4 of 9 Old 08-19-2010, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Which one would be the best for music and gaming ?
post #5 of 9 Old 08-19-2010, 01:47 PM

I haven't gotten mine yet. I'm sure they are all pretty similar.
Do you want HDMI?
Do you want a wireless sub? Samsung has that, but the Sony models have the receiver in the sub, so you can't hid them away and they're quite large.
The yamaha has a receiver built into the sub as well, but it's small enought to sit on a shelf.
Really in canada the choices are limited, so I'd just go for any of the ones you can get your hands on. They have all gotten pretty good reviews.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-19-2010, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure if I really need HDMI since I plan to use optical out on my 42" LG. As for the wireless sub I'd prefer a solution with it. My main concern with the wireless sub is that it might not get as much punch than a wired one. You're right that we're limited in canada even worst in Quebec... as you stated in your previous reply they can't transfer the warranty but I'm not really worried about that. I looked on ebay for a few model you named, I found the Yamaha and one I was desperatly looking for is the JVC TH-BA1 but it's not available in any online canadian store...in the meantime I still accomodate myself with my Z5300 + DTS100 and it's performing really well ! I just want less wires back of my tv set
post #7 of 9 Old 08-23-2010, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

FINALLY decided to get JVC TH-BA1 on ebay!!! Really eager to ear this little piece!! Anyone knows what is the RMS outpout??? Checked the spec on manufacturers website and it says 280watts ... is it PMPO or RMS ?
post #8 of 9 Old 08-24-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
The JVC is rated 30 watts per channel @ 4 ohms. Since this is a dedicated amplifier that in theory should have a curve to match the tonal characteristics of the speaker, RMS is really not relevant. I can't imagine JVC doing a great deal of engineering on dedicated amplifiers like say Harod Beveridge did with his wonderful electrostatic loudspeakers from the 1970's. But cNet says that this seems to be a basically honest 30 watts and I have no reason to doubt that. Based on the size of the drivers, I would guess they amplifiers begin to roll off bass at about 100-120hz which is where the dedicated woofer cuts over. In theory, this would provide more power and better response than a true 25-50 watt RMS amplifier connected to the same drivers.

All of that to say, amplifier power on a soundbar, HTIB or even inexpensive audio system is a relatively worthless measurement and will mean little or nothing in the real world.

David Freeman
post #9 of 9 Old 08-24-2010, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Wow ! I didn't expect such an explanation but that does point me out that I will have to hear for myself in order to judge the quality of this kit. One of my friend told me that I will miss my Z-5300 wich is rated 280watts RMS and THX certified but all I want is a decent sound with subwoofer. But as you stated I still can be wrong regarding the outpout power and I have a little knowledge in the audio department. Needless to say I'll have to receive my kit first to compare.

p.s. Don't bother about my english I'm french So I do my best to express myself
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page