Soundbar, Bose Cinemate, or Wireless Surround Sound? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 08-22-2010, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 10yr old projection tv went out last Tuesday, and I've got an LG 55" LED LCD model 55LE5400 (manual, specs) showing up tomorrow.

My old TV was a Toshiba TheaterView HD model 61H70 I believe. Connected to it was an older Sony STR-D711 receiver, and a couple of Pioneer CS-C303 speakers, no sub.

The new tv comes with a blu-ray player, and also hooked to it will be a Directv HR21 receiver and a PC running XBox Media Center all connected via HDMI.

First (basic) question is, do I just hook everything to the tv and connect it via optical to whatever speaker system I get? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm new to the whole optical thing, and not overly knowledgeable about home audio (obviously).

Now for the main question. The wife doesn't want wires running for rear speakers, so my options are somewhat limited. I've listened to a few soundbars at BestBuy and honestly, wasn't very impressed. It could have been the content playing, but what I heard wasn't impressive. I also checked out the Bose CineMate Series II's. They seem to have a ton of highs, but the content didn't contain much in the mid-range (voices during movies, etc.) so it was hard to get a feel for them. Lastly, I've read good things about the Polk Audio RM705's, which come with a sub, but that means using something wireless for the rear speakers. My guess is that would produce the best sound, but will the wireless thing be difficult or much of an issue?

If it matters, my tv sits in a corner aimed toward the center of the room, and that's unlikely to change. The room is a decent size at about 19'x20'. I don't need anything extravagant, and would prefer the total price to be under $650ish if possible.

I read through this thread but am still having trouble deciding.

Edit - after reading how soundbars perform in large rooms in this thread, if I stuck with a 2.1 system, but opted for something that would sound better than how the tv will sound by itself, would these components make sense, or should I stick w/the smaller, more simple setup?
Receiver - Sony STRDH510 - $199 @ BestBuy or $199 @ Amazon
Speakers - Sony SSF5000 - $160 @ BestBuy or $95 at Amazon
Sub - Sony SAW2500 - $100 at BestBuy or $100 at Amazon

Sorry for the edits, but while checking out other threads/options, I saw Newegg had some stuff on sale. Thoughts on this please?

Polk Monitor 50 need 2 @ $100 each
Polk PSW10 Sub for $90
Pioneer VSX-520-K $179

Other recievers (priced on BestBuy) either inexpensive Sony w/o 5.1 in or slightly more expensive Pioneer w/5.1 in or even more expensive Pioneer w/better reviews

Hoping to buy something today if possible. Thanks in advance.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page