Help me pick a soundbar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 08-30-2010, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a soundbar that has good clear sound for voices and will give a little rumble. I am looking for something with a wireless sub that is pretty small and compact. The soundbar the length is not as important as the height. I would like to keep it pretty small, under 4 inches tall if possible. 3 and under is good. I would like to have at least 2 optical outputs as well. I looked at the vizio and I had one last time and when hooked up optical to my TV I would just get a loud screeching sound, so not sure if the newer ones would do the same thing. I have looked at the jvc one and it seems interesting, but it seems pretty tall. I have also looked at the samsung at target, but I have seen complaints of it not getting loud enough.

So recommend me something. I would also like a hard soundbar as they seem much easier to clean than cloth unless there is a secret to that? I tried the new panasonic they have at sears, but it just did not seem to give enough umph with the built in subwoofer in the bar.

I would like to stay under 300.00

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-30-2010, 09:17 AM

Try looking at the Samsung HW-C450(includes a wireless sub and an optial cable, Dimensions & Weight Set Net Dimension(W*H*D) 37.6" x 1.77" x 3.62" 280 watts) 2 optical, 1 analog input

I think the numbers are a little off. I think its 3.62" high, and 1.77" deep

http://cnettv.cnet.com/samsung-hw-c4...-50089210.html
post #3 of 28 Old 08-30-2010, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurandavid View Post

ONly have one optical on my TV. Anyways returned it and got a ct100 on clerance open box buy brand new for 179.99 and very happy with it.

Just curious...what happened to the CT100 you got in July?
post #4 of 28 Old 08-30-2010, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Just curious...what happened to the CT100 you got in July?

The soundbar itself just did not seem to get loud enough. It seemed to lack clarity due to the limits of adjustements such as treble and bass.

The panasonic I just tried seemed to give very clear dialogue, but no real umph with the built in subwoofer in the bar.
post #5 of 28 Old 08-30-2010, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big 'O' View Post

Try looking at the Samsung HW-C450(includes a wireless sub and an optial cable, Dimensions & Weight Set Net Dimension(W*H*D) 37.6" x 1.77" x 3.62" 280 watts) 2 optical, 1 analog input

I think the numbers are a little off. I think its 3.62" high, and 1.77" deep

http://cnettv.cnet.com/samsung-hw-c4...-50089210.html

I have seen that one. Do not like the look of the visible speakers. Seems to throw the look off.
post #6 of 28 Old 08-30-2010, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

To me it appears the JVC TH-BA1 is about my only choice
post #7 of 28 Old 08-30-2010, 03:30 PM

Liked: 11
The pioneer htp-sb300 has 2hdmi inputs, 1 optical, and 1 coaxial input. I am not sure what devices you need to hook up if this could work for you or not. Its right at 4in tall, wireless sub, and goes for $298 at walmart.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/home-cinem...view-49305278/
post #8 of 28 Old 08-30-2010, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To me it appears the JVC TH-BA1 is about my only choice

Dont be to bummed if the BA1 is your "only" choice,,, it also is one of the best choices of all the current soundbars.

The ONLY reason I got the CT-150 instead of keeping my BA1 is because I needed the HDMI inputs the Sony offered.

Soundwise, the BA1 is the clear winner out of all the soundbars I have owned.

Cheers
Davyo
post #9 of 28 Old 08-31-2010, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

I am not bummed by no means. I like the fact the sub is wireless and you can choose to use it or not.

Another questions I have is what is the advantage of hooking up componenets directly to the soundbar rather then going through the TV?

Example, my uverse box and blu ray are all hooked up via hdmi to the tv. It has one optical output which I could run to the soundbar via opitcal input. Or I could hook up both to the TV via hdmi and then to the soundbar via optical. I like having them hooked up via hdmi in the event my wife wants to watch the blu ray or cable, she can still get sound without having to have the soundbar on.
post #10 of 28 Old 08-31-2010, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Dont be to bummed if the BA1 is your "only" choice,,, it also is one of the best choices of all the current soundbars.

The ONLY reason I got the CT-150 instead of keeping my BA1 is because I needed the HDMI inputs the Sony offered.

Soundwise, the BA1 is the clear winner out of all the soundbars I have owned.

Cheers
Davyo

I thought you really liked the vizio as well?
post #11 of 28 Old 09-01-2010, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Well picked this soundbar up yesterday and here are my initials thoughts on it. The soundbar itself was very easy to setup and linked right up with no issues. I put it on bitstream audiophile on my dvd player and popped in transformers 2. So went to a scene with a lot of blowing up and stuff in the beginning after he drops the piece and it catches the floor on fire. So started it up with all at 0. The sound seemed muddy to me. Turned up the center and surround to 6 and left sub at 0 and had volume at about 20-25. Still seems muddy to me. Turned the sub down a few notches to -2 and seemed a little muddy still. So watching TV through uverse hooked up optical the voices seemed clearer, but still a little muddy around 20. Turning it up to 25 was almost too loud and this was with the bass on -6. So turning it up to 25 seems to really clean it up some, but still seems to have a slight muddy feeling to it. The sub seems to really give it some kick, but have not had a real chance to play with it yet on blu ray. Not sure if the soundbar needs time to break in, but these are my initials thoughts. I could not tell a difference between surround 1 and 2. Also the DRC I could not tell a difference either what exactly it does. I like the size of them almost too tall on the soundbar, but still sits below the screen. I like the compact size of the subwoofer as it is almost like a bookshelf speaker which is nice.

So those are my initials thoughts.
post #12 of 28 Old 09-01-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Well picked this soundbar up yesterday and here are my initials thoughts on it.

So those are my initials thoughts.

If you don't mind me asking, which bar did you pick up? I'm assuming the JVC which is a "good" choice. In my opinion had you not set a $300.00 limit on your purchase I would have suggested the Polk Audio Instant Home Theater. When I purchased my Vizio VSB-200, I wanted a soundbar I could connect with my existing sub. After listening to the Polk I was teetering on dropping my wired sub and going wireless. I am very happy with my setup but had I needed the wireless option, $ for $ there's no question the Polk delivers the richness and clarity I would want.

If you haven't already, check out www.soundbar.com. Also, Amazon has the Polk for $399.00 shipped.....
post #13 of 28 Old 09-01-2010, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnvolfan View Post

If you don't mind me asking, which bar did you pick up? I'm assuming the JVC which is a "good" choice. In my opinion had you not set a $300.00 limit on your purchase I would have suggested the Polk Audio Instant Home Theater. When I purchased my Vizio VSB-200, I wanted a soundbar I could connect with my existing sub. After listening to the Polk I was teetering on dropping my wired sub and going wireless. I am very happy with my setup but had I needed the wireless option, $ for $ there's no question the Polk delivers the richness and clarity I would want.

If you haven't already, check out www.soundbar.com. Also, Amazon has the Polk for $399.00 shipped.....

The jvc. What is the model on that polk?
post #14 of 28 Old 09-01-2010, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

I like the samsung hw-450 and 451, but do not like the visible speakers. They should have left it like the older models.

Why would they not put a cover of some sort on them?
post #15 of 28 Old 09-01-2010, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

I also thought about trying the vht210 from vizio as it looks like a solid choice. I like the very compact subwoofer, but the cloth seems to attract dirt and hair and is harder to clean. Where as the JVC one you can just wipe down with a cloth and no issues there.
post #16 of 28 Old 09-01-2010, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Also the vizio from what I have read here a little has problems with linking up with the soundbar and sub.
post #17 of 28 Old 09-01-2010, 08:53 AM

The Samsung is in my opinion very sleek looking. The visible speakers really don't bother me. It's supposed to sound really good. I'd love to hear someone actually review/compare it.
post #18 of 28 Old 09-01-2010, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big 'O' View Post

The Samsung is in my opinion very sleek looking. The visible speakers really don't bother me. It's supposed to sound really good. I'd love to hear someone actually review/compare it.

Yea but with animals and such the visible speakers are a no go for me. Just seems like they wanted to go cheap and put nothing covering it up.
post #19 of 28 Old 09-01-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:

The jvc. What is the model on that polk?

It's the SDA Home Theater. SDA Home Theater

I've heard the Polk and it would be my choice hands down. Polk has come to the table with the Soundbar 3000 IHT, but I have not listened to it (yet). Apparently an Amazon reviewer likes it but that isn't always the most reliable of sources. The JVC is a good second choice (as would be the Vizio) to the Polk in my opinion as I've heard it (them) as well. I just wasn't as impressed with the JVC mainly b/c the highs seemed a little "screechy" or "hissy" to me in comparison. All of this contention is highly subjective (as all audio reviews are), if you are happy leave well enough alone. You have a good system in the JVC at bargain of a deal.
post #20 of 28 Old 09-01-2010, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnvolfan View Post

It's the SDA Home Theater. SDA Home Theater

I've heard the Polk and it would be my choice hands down. Polk has come to the table with the Soundbar 3000 IHT, but I have not listened to it (yet). Apparently an Amazon reviewer likes it but that isn't always the most reliable of sources. The JVC is a good second choice (as would be the Vizio) to the Polk in my opinion as I've heard it (them) as well. I just wasn't as impressed with the JVC mainly b/c the highs seemed a little "screechy" or "hissy" to me in comparison. All of this contention is highly subjective (as all audio reviews are), if you are happy leave well enough alone. You have a good system in the JVC at bargain of a deal.

This must be one that you are talking about the 3000. I thought about it, but it seems to have poor reviews on bestbuy website.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Polk+Aud...bar&cp=1&lp=15
post #21 of 28 Old 09-01-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:

This must be one that you are talking about the 3000. I thought about it, but it seems to have poor reviews on bestbuy website.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Polk+Aud...bar&cp=1&lp=15

I have not heard the 3000 yet. The one I am referring to is this: http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/s...t-home-theater

Amazon has it HERE
post #22 of 28 Old 09-01-2010, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

I thought about giving the samsung from target a try. Does anyone know if you can purchase an optical splitter to be able to split the one optical input into two? Or since I really only need one optical for my blu ray, what kind of sound will I get if I hook up analog from the TV, so that everything else I get hooked up to the tv will come through the soundbar?

Here is it

http://www.target.com/Samsung-Soundb...n&frombrowse=0

Thanks.
post #23 of 28 Old 09-01-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:

I thought about giving the samsung from target a try.

http://www.target.com/Samsung-Soundb...n&frombrowse=0

Thanks.

You're looking at last year's model, don't even bother. If you're interested in a Samsung, stick with the 450/451
post #24 of 28 Old 09-01-2010, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrope View Post

You're looking at last year's model, don't even bother. If you're interested in a Samsung, stick with the 450/451

Too bad because the visible speakers are a no go for me.
post #25 of 28 Old 09-01-2010, 11:30 AM

The Samsung design team should win the "What were they thinking," award every year. I know, because I own a Samsung LCD with red TOC.
post #26 of 28 Old 09-01-2010, 12:49 PM

I own the Polk Surroundbar SDA IHT tnvolfan is referring to. Lovely unit, but it's analog only. The Polk 3000 is not its replacement. This one is, and it's available this month. http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/s...dex.php#sb6000
post #27 of 28 Old 09-09-2010, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
ZVOX 550 has everything built in...amp, speakers, sub. I use one beneath the base of my 47" LG and it looks like its part of the TV base. Sound is full-range, intelligible, and capable of getting very loud if you want.
post #28 of 28 Old 09-12-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

ZVOX 550 has everything built in...amp, speakers, sub. I use one beneath the base of my 47" LG and it looks like its part of the TV base. Sound is full-range, intelligible, and capable of getting very loud if you want.

Can you turn the base off easily by remote on the zvox? I like the idea of it acting as a shelf.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page