VHT510 Available Online at Vizio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 09-13-2010, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Vizio now has the VHT510 available on its site and in stock for $389.99. You can review the product under 5.1 products and also download the Manual and Quick Start info from the support area. Target will sell the 510 but it is still out of stock. Amazon has it listed for $369 Pre-Order not yet released.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-13-2010, 08:13 PM

I had seen the product page with the manual updated the other day but it wasn't in stock. I'm thinking this is the soundbar I'll be getting but want to see a review or two first.

Thanks for the update.

Link:
http://www.vizio.com/home-theater-1/vht510.html
post #3 of 28 Old 09-14-2010, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

I went on Vizio and did an Add to Cart and the total price with Shipping & Tax was $447. I will wait for Amazon for $370 Total cost & save $57.
post #4 of 28 Old 09-15-2010, 07:47 AM

I ordered it at Vizio and my total cost including shipping is $419.99.
post #5 of 28 Old 09-15-2010, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryDi View Post

I ordered it at Vizio and my total cost including shipping is $419.99.

Cool,,, look forward to hearing about the new'est Vizio.

Cheers
Davyo
post #6 of 28 Old 09-15-2010, 01:04 PM

Well look at the manual the rear surround sound speakers are going to have limited placement. They have to be plugged into the subwoofer. So that limits the options for the rear speakers.

For those that want to see the user guide

VHT 510 User Guide

Quick start guide

VHT 510 Quick Start Guide
post #7 of 28 Old 09-17-2010, 06:20 PM

Anyone have any luck finding one of these at Target?
post #8 of 28 Old 09-20-2010, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

I noticed that Target & Amazon is still out of stock. Vizio site also went Out Of Stock.
LarryDi said he ordered one from the Vizio site. I wonder how is order is coming and if he ever gets one? Let us know?
post #9 of 28 Old 09-20-2010, 06:09 PM

Its been sitting at the UPS facility about 20 miles from my home since 10:20 this morning. It's due for delivery tomorrow. Will update when I get home from work tomorrow.
post #10 of 28 Old 09-22-2010, 09:22 AM

Any update?
post #11 of 28 Old 09-22-2010, 01:19 PM

Finally got delivered last night at 7:55 (right during Final Jeopardy!)

First impressions:
Nice crisp sound. Unfortunately I could not find where my optical input cable is so I had to use the analog cable that came with it. (I bought optical cable during lunchbreak today and will connrect tonight). Puts out a lot of sound with no distortion.

The sub automatically syncs with the soundbar and rear speakers attach to sub with about 10' of wire (included). I have a Samsung 7000 series 3D HDTV and Blu-Ray.

Tonight after I hook up the optical cable I'll put on Avatar and try it out and have more detailed reviw. Also need to figure out how to add it to my Harmony One remote!
post #12 of 28 Old 09-23-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:

First impressions:
Nice crisp sound. Unfortunately I could not find where my optical input cable is so I had to use the analog cable that came with it. (I bought optical cable during lunchbreak today and will connrect tonight). Puts out a lot of sound with no distortion.

The sub automatically syncs with the soundbar and rear speakers attach to sub with about 10' of wire (included). I have a Samsung 7000 series 3D HDTV and Blu-Ray.

Tonight after I hook up the optical cable I'll put on Avatar and try it out and have more detailed reviw. Also need to figure out how to add it to my Harmony One remote!

Thanks for the update Larry. Can you say how much sound the rear speakers put out? Does it sound like a real 5.1 system? I'm trying to ecide if it's worth the extra $100 to go with this one or the 210.

Also, how does music sound on it?
post #13 of 28 Old 09-24-2010, 01:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i am sute this soundbar is good, but man how can companies sell these type of stuff without hdmi inputs??? beats me....
hdmi is now basic and not luxery anymore
post #14 of 28 Old 09-24-2010, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
HDMI in for sound is probably not necessary for many. I prefer HDMI connected directly to the television so that each input may be customized for picture. I then connect the sound output directly to the audio device via optical. Best of both worlds.

David Freeman
post #15 of 28 Old 09-25-2010, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First impressions:

So Larry,,,, were still waiting for that more detailed review you promised a few days ago ????

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Davyo
post #16 of 28 Old 09-25-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

I noticed that The Vizio site, Amazon Site, & Target still have out of stock.

I was at Sam's Club this week and they now sell the VHT210 (2.1) for $198. The salesman had no idea if they were getting the VHT510.

Tony
post #17 of 28 Old 09-27-2010, 07:36 PM

It's back in stock at Vizio.com but still not at Amazon and Target.

I don't really feel it's worth $30 to have it shipped from vizio.com (plus tax) so I wait......
post #18 of 28 Old 09-30-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

HDMI in for sound is probably not necessary for many. I prefer HDMI connected directly to the television so that each input may be customized for picture. I then connect the sound output directly to the audio device via optical. Best of both worlds.

It is true that HDMI may not be necessary. However, VHT510 has a serious limitation - it has only ONE optical input. You can connect it to either a HDTV or a Blu-ray. But not both :-( It means that you can only enjoy the true 5.1 surround sound from one source. The other one will be crappy downmix 2.0 sound.s
post #19 of 28 Old 09-30-2010, 11:18 PM

ha.....vizio has a contender ! pioneer just announced this :
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/content/...ampaign=rsshbg

with the possibility to add 2 extra rear speakers !
post #20 of 28 Old 10-01-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valley_nomad View Post

It is true that HDMI may not be necessary. However, VHT510 has a serious limitation - it has only ONE optical input. You can connect it to either a HDTV or a Blu-ray. But not both :-( It means that you can only enjoy the true 5.1 surround sound from one source. The other one will be crappy downmix 2.0 sound.s

I agree with Vizio's (and others) lack of inputs. Not sure how much Vizio has improved their surround processing for 2010. With the 2009 model there was little sonic difference between the surround matrix created via Dolby PCM 2-ch from the TV and 5.1 via optical from the Blu-Ray. Sometimes you could hear a difference, sometimes, not so sure.

So far I have only sampled one powered sound bar, including those with HDMI, that actually does 5.1 processing, the JVC. Very impressive.

For most users, and I am fairly certain this is the premise that most low-priced self-powered soundbar manufacturers are coming from with their design, the reason for the soundbar is not for the surround effects, but more for improved audio to supplant the lousy sound offered by most HDTV's.

David Freeman
post #21 of 28 Old 10-01-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Larry,,,, been a while now and no review yet ???

Cheers
Davyo
post #22 of 28 Old 10-02-2010, 12:57 AM

"So far I have only sampled one powered sound bar, including those with HDMI, that actually does 5.1 processing, the JVC"

Drfreeman, i know you are a huge fan of this bar; wanted to know does the statement above also apply to the CT150, i mean compared to other soundbars
post #23 of 28 Old 10-02-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe that is right. I have not dug in greatly with the CT-150. I remember looking through the user manual at a friends house who purchase one and wanted help hooking up his components. I know the CT-100 that I owned was 3.1 channel and I believe the same is true of both of Sony's new soundbars with matrixed (psuedo) 5.1 channel through a processor.

I know the PossumGirl is the resident expert on the current Sony's so would appreciate any update if my memory has failed me yet again.

I know at the friend's house, the correct sounds were all there and very clean. His was new and I know both of us were mildly put off at the lack of spatial information. I will try to ask if he thinks this has improved as he has had it about a month. This was certainly no deal breaker as it was a giant leap from his TV's speakers.

I have said many times, and still believe, the primary purpose of a soundbar is improved fidelity as opposed to tinny, crappy built-in speakers on most HDTV's. Anything extra you get out of it is just gravy.

My friend is also one who would not consider purchasing anything he could not listen to or see in person. Since the JVC has limited distribution, neither he nor I had heard it at the time.

The JVC is still one of the big suprises in audio I have had in the last four or five years. I much prefer it's 5.1 channels mixed through four speakers as compared to the psuedo surround effects from 40-something speakers and amplifiers in the Yamaha YSP.

David Freeman
post #24 of 28 Old 10-04-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

For most users, and I am fairly certain this is the premise that most low-priced self-powered soundbar manufacturers are coming from with their design, the reason for the soundbar is not for the surround effects, but more for improved audio to supplant the lousy sound offered by most HDTV's.

True 5.1 is one of the selling points of VHT510. If the soundbar can provide it with easy (or no) installation and simple (or no) wiring at low price, then why not. I think soundbar is good for the bedrooms, study rooms, second living room and basement where the full-blown home theater system will be either an overkill or impossible. And I think people still like to enjoy the true surround sound in those viewing environment, especially watching movies.
post #25 of 28 Old 10-19-2010, 10:19 PM

FYI, now IN STOCK at Amazon for $348. Also IN STOCK at Target.com for $329.

Looks like I found my Christmas gift.
post #26 of 28 Old 10-28-2010, 03:20 AM

I just purchased the Vizio VHT510 Surround Sound Home Theatre at the San Francisco Costco for $319.99 (total of $350.39 with our lovely 9.5% sales tax). I started setting it up tonight when I got home from work (~midnight). I was going crazy trying to get it working with my Harmony One remote. It would turn everything on, but the "receiver" (that is how Harmony lists the VHT510) would not select for optical when I initiated activities for "Watch TV". I have my Samsung PN50B650 with a TiVo Premiere using Comcast (with cablecard) and OTA (indoor antenna facing Sutro Tower ~3 1/2 miles with minimal obstructions). I kept trying various things before I realized that Harmony has optical input and iPod input reversed. I was finally able to fix it when I figured out what the problem was. I still can't adjust the volume on the Harmony unless I go to "devices" which I am sure I can work on tomorrow. I am dying to get the Aperion Intimus 4T Summit Wireless 5.1 System (maybe even 7.1!), but that is out of the budget until at least next year. That will also give Aperion time to get the bugs out (if any) and see what the reviews are like.
post #27 of 28 Old 10-29-2010, 04:22 AM

Anyone have any ideas on an iPod dock for the VHT510? Wired or wireless, but something that looks ok and will work with an iPod nano.
post #28 of 28 Old 11-14-2010, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Walmat.com just started selling the VHT510 for a low price of $298. Better than Sam's and Costco. Free Delivery to store or at Home. Ordered mine yesterday.
Tony
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page