Vizio 510, Vizio 210, JVC BA1 another Davyo shoot-out w/ pictures - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 508 Old 03-04-2011, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboLNT5265 View Post

After having the Vht510 for about 2 and half weeks now and then switching back to the Tv's Speaker's(Panny 54G20) It's amazing just how crappy the Tv's Speakers really are.

Jim - I have helped a number of friends and family set up either soundbars or modest home hi-fi setups and in many cases, especially with the soundbars, the are underwhelmed. I ask them to use the soundbar or hi-fi for one week then go back to the TV speakers. All have had the same reaction as you. Going from poor to good is sometimes hard to hear the difference. However, when you get used to good and go back to poor, the differences can be quite startling.

David Freeman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 508 Old 03-04-2011, 01:00 PM

Liked: 10
Alright,
Saw this @ costco for $319, but hadn't heard of it, so came home to research here...
most of the on point post here MADE me order the 510 from walmart.com for $298 and NOW you tell me it has to have a L

we'll see.... HAS to be better than the Sharp 60" e78 speakers !!!!

and given that I tape over most of the leds on my stuff so we are not blinded by them, maybe I don't need the L ....
post #363 of 508 Old 03-07-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post

and given that I tape over most of the leds on my stuff so we are not blinded by them, maybe I don't need the L ....

Well i dont think you will tape over the LED"s in questions they are in the speaker grill and are not on always they just turn on when you are adjusting levels.
post #364 of 508 Old 03-07-2011, 09:28 AM

FoxhoundAdam stated that VHT510 issues have been resolved. I received an "L" series unit from Amazon which lost the blue indicator lights after about three weeks. They replaced it with another "L" series unit which worked when first set up. The next day neither I nor Vizio phone support was able to connect the sound bar to the subwoofer and satellite speakers. The sub's LEDs blinked as advertised, but I was unable to get the sound bar's link indicator to flash or even light. I've sent it back to Vizio this time, hoping for an even more updated unit;-)

I'm not giving up on the unit. The sound from the first one was spectacularly good for the price.
post #365 of 508 Old 03-07-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

Jim - I have helped a number of friends and family set up either soundbars or modest home hi-fi setups and in many cases, especially with the soundbars, the are underwhelmed. I ask them to use the soundbar or hi-fi for one week then go back to the TV speakers. All have had the same reaction as you. Going from poor to good is sometimes hard to hear the difference. However, when you get used to good and go back to poor, the differences can be quite startling.

So very true, The tv's speakers sound like an old transistor radio compared to the Vizio vht510.
post #366 of 508 Old 03-07-2011, 02:05 PM

I have the "L" version. Sub was fine. Never could get the satellites to work at all. Tried everything (different thread). The LED's and everything else was OK.
All I wanted was 5.1 surround for movies and cable. I already had cabling in the walls so this would have a decent unit for what I wanted. Unfortunately I have to send this one back. Going in for a shoulder operation soon, so when I'm ready to start moving big boxes around and going through the setup again, I might try the 520 if Viz got their act together. Or maybe something else....
Thanks to all the contributors. Learned a lot.
GregD
post #367 of 508 Old 03-07-2011, 08:29 PM

Looking for suggestions on a solution for obtaining the best audio from a DVD/blu ray disc player going directly from the player to the VHT-510. Based on the posts on this site, it would appear that a Toslink cable from the player to an optical switch to VHT-510 would be ideal, but I have not seen many disc players with optical audio output onboard. If anyone has ideas, please advise. And thanks!
post #368 of 508 Old 03-08-2011, 04:37 AM

This unit has an Digital Audio Optical x 1 connection

http://cgi.ebay.com/Panasonic-DMP-BD...item2c59e5d342

Whatever Player you get just check where it say Connections Output :
post #369 of 508 Old 03-08-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az85248 View Post
Looking for suggestions on a solution for obtaining the best audio from a DVD/blu ray disc player going directly from the player to the VHT-510. Based on the posts on this site, it would appear that a Toslink cable from the player to an optical switch to VHT-510 would be ideal, but I have not seen many disc players with optical audio output onboard. If anyone has ideas, please advise. And thanks!
Virtually every blu-ray will have Toslink, but often DVD players will have only digital coaxial out for digital signal and analog (red/white) RCA connectivity. You can just connect the RCA cables to the VHT 510 from your regular DVD player or you can purchase a Toslink to digital coaxial converter/switch from m o n o p r i c e . c o m. I don't think I have posted enough on this message board to be allowed to include a link, but if you search that website you will find one.

I currently have my TiVO connected via Toslink and my CD player/recorder/VCR connected via red/white RCA analog cables to my Vizio VHT510. I will soon be purchasing an Oppo-BDP 93 (blu-ray) and will connect it via Toslink. I will have to use a Toslink switch since there is only a single Toslink input on the VHT510, however I already purchased one on monoprice for around $5.
post #370 of 508 Old 03-11-2011, 06:28 AM

I have some bad news. I also have an "L" series and just lost the volume LEDs. I had my speakers for about 2 1/2 months.

I love the sound and can use them without the volume LEDs, but i do miss them.

One other odd note: When changing inputs I can see the LEDs very faintly (the volume LEDs and input LEDs are the same). But when changing volume they do not light up at all.

Does anyone know how long the warranty is? My first set had the moderately loud hum. (load enough to annoy).
post #371 of 508 Old 03-11-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiledog View Post

I have some bad news. I also have an "L" series and just lost the volume LEDs. I had my speakers for about 2 1/2 months.

I love the sound and can use them without the volume LEDs, but i do miss them.

One other odd note: When changing inputs I can see the LEDs very faintly (the volume LEDs and input LEDs are the same). But when changing volume they do not light up at all.

Does anyone know how long the warranty is? My first set had the moderately loud hum. (load enough to annoy).

1 year
post #372 of 508 Old 03-15-2011, 04:17 AM

Anyone found a universal remote that works with the Vizio 510 soundbar? Panasonic Plasma Tv and Panasonic Bluray?
post #373 of 508 Old 03-15-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboLNT5265 View Post

Anyone found a universal remote that works with the Vizio 510 soundbar? Panasonic Plasma Tv and Panasonic Bluray?

I use a Harmony One. I have a Vizio 510, Samsung PN50B650 (plasma), a Toshiba DVD/VCR (records and plays on both), TiVo Premiere and will have an Oppo BDP-93 (blu-ray) by the weekend. I don't think there is much that you can't program into a Harmony One.

By the way, the LED volume indicators on my Vizio 510 are still working!! I almost don't think about it anymore.
post #374 of 508 Old 03-15-2011, 08:58 AM

I have a urc-wr7 universal remote that works great and got it from amazon for $20 out the door. Have my vizio xvt553sv, vht510 soundbar, and blu-ray all hooked up and it works great. Has learning functions which i used for the soundbar and is really easy to set things up. Also has macros. I even learned the via button from my xvt553sv remote so i can control the internet apps.
post #375 of 508 Old 03-17-2011, 11:30 AM

Has anyone had this happen: 510 connected to Vizio LED TV via optical cable. Intermittently when I change channels, the sound goes away. No consistency. Just adjusting the volume with remote does not clear the issue; need to turn the 510 off and back on. I've yet to check with Vizio yet, but will be doing so soon. BTW-this is my third unit... Hate to jinx it, but the LEDs still work.
post #376 of 508 Old 03-18-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiagirl1256 View Post

Has anyone had this happen: 510 connected to Vizio LED TV via optical cable. Intermittently when I change channels, the sound goes away. No consistency. Just adjusting the volume with remote does not clear the issue; need to turn the 510 off and back on. I've yet to check with Vizio yet, but will be doing so soon. BTW-this is my third unit... Hate to jinx it, but the LEDs still work.

Check the connections, make sure everthing is tight, even try another optical cable.
post #377 of 508 Old 03-18-2011, 07:29 PM

I ordered an Oppo BDP-93 which is scheduled to arrive via FedEx tomorrow by noon! I am now considering different ways to connect my various components to my Vizio VHT-510 and Samsung PN50B650 plasma HDTV. I have a Toslink switch, but it is manual so I would have to get up everytime I switch components. I am considering getting a 4X1 HDMI 1.3b Certified Switcher w/ Toslink & Digital Coaxial Port (Rev.2) from monoprice. It looks like I should be able to connect my Oppo BDP-93, TiVo Premiere and Toshiba DVD/VCR (recorder/player) with HDMI cables to this powered switcher (works with remote) then connect a single HDMI cable-out to my HDTV which would carry video (and audio to the TV speakers) to the HDTV. I can then connect the single toslink-out from the powered switcher to the Vizio VHT-510 to carry all of the audio signals to the sound system. It seems like to me this should work. There were some complaints on the comments for this product stating that it frequently needed to be powered down/up when changing components, but this seems to have been resolved with the "Rev. 2". Has anyone else ever tried it or know anything about it. At only $43.21, I may give it a try. I hope I can program my Harmony One to control the power switcher too.

Here are the specs from the website:

Inputs: 3x HDMI on rear of switch, 1x HDMI on front panel of switch.

Outputs: 1x HDMI, 1x 3.5mm (1/8", headphone jack size) analog audio, 1x RCA digital coaxial audio, 1x optical toslink audio.

3D capable

Simultaneously outputs audio through HDMI, 3.5mm stereo jack, RCA digital coaxial jack*, and optical toslink jack*.

Supports full HD 1080p resolution.

Supported resolutions: 480i, 576i, 1080i, 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080p.

Support for up to 225mhz (2.25Gbps) per channel, 6.75Gbps combined bandwidth.

Supports deep color (v.x. color) @ 12 bits per channel (36 bits combined).

Fully HDCP compliant.

Supports uncompressed digital audio formats such as LPCM.

Support for Dolby Digital, DTS-HD Master Audio, and Dolby True HD audio.

HDMI specification: 1.3b (backward compatible with all previous versions of HDMI).

Included in the box: HDMI switch, AC adapter, user manual, remote.

Dimensions: 6" x 2 3/4" x 1"

* The Optical / Coaxial Digital audio format is based on the HDMI Output. If any of the sync devices (HDTV / Projector), connected to the output can only support stereo audio - Then the Optical / Coaxial Digital output will be PCM stereo audio.
post #378 of 508 Old 03-19-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiagirl1256 View Post

i had a similar problem with my Sony TV, in this case just go to another channel wait a bit so that you get sound/signal and then come back to the channel that you wanted to watch.. this worked for me.. i never figured out whats wrong.. tried changing cables but still wouldnt fix the issue..
a werid thing that i had noted was that if i pulled out the cable when this was happening i could see that the optical cable was lit and plugging it back in i would get sound without having to restart TV and/or bar or even changing channels.
post #379 of 508 Old 03-19-2011, 12:47 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcats View Post

...I am considering getting a 4X1 HDMI 1.3b Certified Switcher w/ Toslink & Digital Coaxial Port (Rev.2) from monoprice. It looks like I should be able to connect my Oppo BDP-93, TiVo Premiere and Toshiba DVD/VCR (recorder/player) with HDMI cables to this powered switcher (works with remote) then connect a single HDMI cable-out to my HDTV which would carry video (and audio to the TV speakers) to the HDTV. I can then connect the single toslink-out from the powered switcher to the Vizio VHT-510 to carry all of the audio signals to the sound system. It seems like to me this should work. There were some complaints on the comments for this product stating that it frequently needed to be powered down/up when changing components, but this seems to have been resolved with the "Rev. 2". Has anyone else ever tried it or know anything about it. At only $43.21, I may give it a try.....

You may want to pay attention to one issue this box has and consider to use a remote controlled Toslink switch instead.

From one comment on Monoprice:
"...The biggest problem I've had is similar to what voidstar reported in a review dated 11/18/2009: it seems that a Sony device capable of producing Dolby 5.1 Surround over an HDMI output will downgrade to plain stereo when the device receiving the output is not Dolby 5.1 capable. You should read that review for a plausible technical explanation.

In that case the source device was a PS-3, but in my case it's a Sony DVD player/recorder, RDR-GX355. In both cases, the HDMI signal is going to a TV that does not support multi-channel sound, and it appears that that causes the device producing the HDMI signal to downgrade to stereo so in turn the switch can only produce stereo on its toslink and coax outputs... "
post #380 of 508 Old 03-19-2011, 01:51 PM

I made my purchase and so far after 2 weeks we're happy with the Vizio VHT510. As a Verizon FiOS customer I'd like to use the FiOS remote but the remote code in the Vizio manual, 1517, does not work with the 4-button Verizon remote.

Verizon FiOS support thread

Has anyone found a 4-digit remote code that actually works yet?
post #381 of 508 Old 03-20-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valley_nomad View Post
You may want to pay attention to one issue this box has and consider to use a remote controlled Toslink switch instead.

From one comment on Monoprice:
"...The biggest problem I've had is similar to what voidstar reported in a review dated 11/18/2009: it seems that a Sony device capable of producing Dolby 5.1 Surround over an HDMI output will downgrade to plain stereo when the device receiving the output is not Dolby 5.1 capable. You should read that review for a plausible technical explanation.

In that case the source device was a PS-3, but in my case it's a Sony DVD player/recorder, RDR-GX355. In both cases, the HDMI signal is going to a TV that does not support multi-channel sound, and it appears that that causes the device producing the HDMI signal to downgrade to stereo so in turn the switch can only produce stereo on its toslink and coax outputs... "

Thanks for pointing that out. I went back on the monoprice website and read the last page of reviews. Several other people mentioned it would not pass 5.1 if the receiving output (e.g. HDTV) does not support multichannel sound. I can't figure it out for the life of me. I can see how/why it doesn't work to use the HDTV for switching as you are routing all of the signals (audio and video) to it and it is not passing through 5.1 on it's optical out. I don't understand how this monoprice switcher would even "know" that the HDTV does not pass through as the audio is not going through the HDTV to get to the soundbar. I guess I just have to accept that it will not work even though I don't understand why.

Anybody have a suggestion for a remote control Toslink switch?

P.S. The LED volume indicators on my Vizio 510 are still working!!! I have had it since January 8th (amazon.com). I guess I got a "good one" this time.
post #382 of 508 Old 03-20-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSanderson View Post

FoxhoundAdam stated that VHT510 issues have been resolved. I received an "L" series unit from Amazon which lost the blue indicator lights after about three weeks. They replaced it with another "L" series unit which worked when first set up. The next day neither I nor Vizio phone support was able to connect the sound bar to the subwoofer and satellite speakers. The sub's LEDs blinked as advertised, but I was unable to get the sound bar's link indicator to flash or even light. I've sent it back to Vizio this time, hoping for an even more updated unit;-)

I'm not giving up on the unit. The sound from the first one was spectacularly good for the price.

The exchange from Vizio took a bit less than two weeks. Vizio paid FedEx shipping both ways. The new unit arrived 3/17 and has been working flawlessly since. The sound is impressive and I've had no trouble with the wireless connection. For comparison: all three units were from the "L" series. The two digits following are possibly of interest. The first unit (failed LEDs) was numbered 46xxxxx, the replacement (from Amazon, failed wireless) was numbered 43xxxxx, while the current unit (directly from Vizio) was numbered 47xxxxx.

I'll update only if this one fails!
post #383 of 508 Old 03-20-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:

The exchange from Vizio took a bit less than two weeks. Vizio paid FedEx shipping both ways. The new unit arrived 3/17 and has been working flawlessly since. The sound is impressive and I've had no trouble with the wireless connection. For comparison: all three units were from the "L" series. The two digits following are possibly of interest. The first unit (failed LEDs) was numbered 46xxxxx, the replacement (from Amazon, failed wireless) was numbered 43xxxxx, while the current unit (directly from Vizio) was numbered 47xxxxx.

My current one is 46xxxxx (after the L). As per my previous post, I have had it since January 8th (from amazon). The only other one I had was from Costco and the LEDs failed completely within a couple of weeks and were working only intermittently prior to that. I don't know what the serial number on that one was as I didn't think to look before returning it. This one is perfect! It might just be a matter of the "luck of the draw".
post #384 of 508 Old 03-21-2011, 04:27 PM

I ordered a Nyrius SW200 S-Video Composite & Digital Optical Toslink 3 Input Audio Video Selector Switch with Remote from amazon which will arrive by FedEx tomorrow. From what I have read, this should work with the Vizio VHT 510 and give me 3 Toslink inputs with automatic switching. The reviews also say it can be programed to work with a Harmony One which is essential to me. If it doesn't work satisfactorily, I can always return it.
post #385 of 508 Old 03-22-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcats View Post

My current one is 46xxxxx (after the L). As per my previous post, I have had it since January 8th (from amazon). The only other one I had was from Costco and the LEDs failed completely within a couple of weeks and were working only intermittently prior to that. I don't know what the serial number on that one was as I didn't think to look before returning it. This one is perfect! It might just be a matter of the "luck of the draw".

I also purchased at Costco in March 2011, and mine is an "L" followed by 39xxxxx. It has been 2+ weeks and there's no issues [yet], but we'll have to wait to see what happens. I have my Costco receipt, box, and all packaging materials just in case.

The next time I'm at Costco I will have to do a little inspection of the serial numbers on their inventory to see what serial no.'s they stocking now.
post #386 of 508 Old 03-23-2011, 05:52 PM

I have been reading the posts on this site for several months trying to decide if I should order the VHT-510 due to the LED issues. I did, and yes, the sound is very good. After a couple of weeks I started losing the LED volume lights for no apparent reason. However, I have been able to get them back each time by powering everything down, unplugging the power cord from the back of the unit, waiting about 20 seconds, and plugging it back in. LED's come back. Should we have to do this, of course not, but it has been working for me, and I'm not sending it back unless it completely dies. For $298 I'll live with it until the next generation fixes the problem and improves the sound even better. I'll donate this one to my son.
Woodmon
post #387 of 508 Old 03-24-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:

Glad your replacement was easy. Sadly it appears the "L" wasn't the end all fix, although some failures are still probably likely no matter the model #. Mine is still going strong after 4 months.

Good luck, keep us posted.
post #388 of 508 Old 03-24-2011, 02:00 PM

The Nyrius SW200 S-Video Composite & Digital Optical Toslink 3 Input Audio Video Selector Switch I purchased on amazon arrived Tuesday. It works great! I have optical input #1 connected to my TiVo, optical input #2 connected to my Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray and optical input #3 connected to my PN50B650 plasma (even though I never watch the HDTV through it's tuner). The optical output is connected to the Vizio VHT 510 and I am controlling everything (including the switch!) with my Harmony One remote. Everything automatically turns on and goes to the correct setting when I select an "activity" on my Harmony One. The Vizio is picking up the Dolby Digital signal with all three of the connections. Success at a reasonable price!!!
post #389 of 508 Old 03-25-2011, 07:44 PM

No, I didn't abandon you all (see post #282). I got sidetracked and hadn't yet purchased a soundbar. A couple of days ago I restarted the process, came back to read some of the threads and again decided on the JVC BA1. I could only find it online, and since I didn't want to order something without even knowing for sure what a soundbar would sound like in my room I decided to buy one locally, try it out and then make a final decision. I thought maybe I'd return it and then order the JVC. Most of the local stores charged a restocking fee, but then I went into Wal Mart and they had the Vizio VSB210WS (same config as I wanted - a soundbar with wireless SW and no rear speakers) and didn't charge for a return. I hooked it up (with ease, I might add), sat back and listened to the waves lapping up on the shore in "Cast Away". I thought to myself "this is really cool". My wife was totally unimpressed ("too much noise", was her comment). I think she budged a bit as we watched "Elton John and Leon Russell Live at the Beacon Theater" later that evening.

It took a while tweaking the settings and I think I have it right for some extended viewing time. I also think drfreeman's post about listening to it for a week and then going back to the TV speakers might do the trick with Mrs. R17409. We shall see. But I kinda like it quite a bit.
post #390 of 508 Old 03-25-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHoundADAM View Post

Glad your replacement was easy. Sadly it appears the "L" wasn't the end all fix, although some failures are still probably likely no matter the model #. Mine is still going strong after 4 months.

Good luck, keep us posted.

I agree..had given mine to a friend and bought a new one, a "L", LED's went out in a like 4 days..
Had bought it from a costco, got a replacement one, fingers crossed lets see how this one behaves..
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page