Vizio 510, Vizio 210, JVC BA1 another Davyo shoot-out w/ pictures - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 508 Old 10-06-2010, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post

Your TV might also have a switch in it with a single optical out that you can run to the bar.

My tv has an optical out but it's my understanding that you will always get better sound if your source is hooked up directly to your soundbar no? if this isn't the case then obviously using the optical out from tv to sound bar makes the single optical in on the Vizio a non issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 508 Old 10-06-2010, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolbi-Wan View Post

My tv has an optical out but it's my understanding that you will always get better sound if your source is hooked up directly to your soundbar no? if this isn't the case then obviously using the optical out from tv to sound bar makes the single optical in on the Vizio a non issue.

Most TVs will only output 2 ch. stereo over optical from components connected to the TV via HDMI so connecting directly to a soundbar is the only way to get 5.1 audio from BD players, etc.
post #33 of 508 Old 10-06-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Most TVs will only output 2 ch. stereo over optical from components connected to the TV via HDMI so connecting directly to a soundbar is the only way to get 5.1 audio from BD players, etc.

Ahh... I guess I missed that reading through all these soundbar posts. Thanks for clarifying. My VSB200 is only a 2 channel bar anyway. I've tried both inputs and have heard no difference other than tone controls from the tv are bypassed with optical in. Thanks
post #34 of 508 Old 10-06-2010, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysrhythmic View Post

Is there anyway to get Laptop sounds to output through the soundbar?

My setup is:
Laptop -> HDMI -> DVDO Duo -> Optical -> VHT510

I have not come across a PC video card that outputs sound via HDMI, but my experience is limited in this area.

Unless your laptop has a digital audio processor using optical output, you would need a mini-phone jack to RCA L/R cable to connect analog audio to your soundbar. These can be found from $2 to $10 from Radio Shack, Amazon, etc.

David Freeman
post #35 of 508 Old 10-06-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

I have not come across a PC video card that outputs sound via HDMI, but my experience is limited in this area.

Unless your laptop has a digital audio processor using optical output, you would need a mini-phone jack to RCA L/R cable to connect analog audio to your soundbar. These can be found from $2 to $10 from Radio Shack, Amazon, etc.

Laptop to DVDO Duo to Sony HTCT350 and Laptop to DVDO Duo to TV both allow the laptop to output sound. However, when I connect the laptop to the DVDO Duo and select it to output audio through the optical cable the laptop will not output sound.
post #36 of 508 Old 10-07-2010, 09:19 AM

Davyo-

Wondering how you made out with the exchange of the bar @ Costco? Did they make you return the entire set?

I wanted to know what you thought about the bass on the Vizio510. I'm curious how it compares to the Sony 150/350 sub. After reading the Sony 150/350 thread, it seemed that many weren't very happy with the bass from that sub(even at 6 max). I know you had the 150 so I'm wondering what your thought is on the difference between these subs.

Have you tried music on the Vizio yet?

I'll be setting up mine this weekend. I was waiting for wall mounts to arrive from Monoprice so I can hang my new Sony LED. I plan on installing the Vizio after that is done.
post #37 of 508 Old 10-07-2010, 09:51 AM

im thinking of using this in the bedroom. its for a 50 inch and no blu ray. just directv and xbox360. i do play movies from my home server over the xbox. i dont currently have a receiver so i was thinking of just using optical out from the tv. since it wont be 5.1, what will the rear speakers do in this case?
post #38 of 508 Old 10-07-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGiants75 View Post

Davyo-

Wondering how you made out with the exchange of the bar @ Costco? Did they make you return the entire set?

I wanted to know what you thought about the bass on the Vizio510. I'm curious how it compares to the Sony 150/350 sub. After reading the Sony 150/350 thread, it seemed that many weren't very happy with the bass from that sub(even at 6 max). I know you had the 150 so I'm wondering what your thought is on the difference between these subs.

I'll be setting up mine this weekend. I was waiting for wall mounts to arrive from Monoprice so I can hang my new Sony LED. I plan on installing the Vizio after that is done.

I probably wont get around to hooking mine up for another week or so. I too am wondering how the bass is on this. User manual shows its a 60w 6 1/2 sub. Numbers wise it seems underpowered to its competitors. Bass is a big deal to me so if I'm underwhelmed by the bass back to costco it will go. Any reviews?
post #39 of 508 Old 10-07-2010, 01:38 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodson View Post

im thinking of using this in the bedroom. its for a 50 inch and no blu ray. just directv and xbox360. i do play movies from my home server over the xbox. i dont currently have a receiver so i was thinking of just using optical out from the tv. since it wont be 5.1, what will the rear speakers do in this case?

When its input is 2.0, I think the soundbar will try to generate virtual surround sound for rear speakers. But why do you want to use VHT510 this way for your system? Your Xbox has the optical output. I guess your DirecTV STB most likely has one as well. So to get the true 5.1 surround sound provided by VHT510, the best way will be to buy an optical switch and use it to connect both boxes with the VHT510. Or you can try using an optical splitter to avoid manual switching if one box can be completely off when the other one is used.
post #40 of 508 Old 10-07-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post

My Sony SXRD is 6 years old and has an optical digital output. The ZVOX soundbars all rely on the TV being used as the main switch, and it is simple and works well. Are newer sets skimping on this feature?

My Samsung TV Manual states:
When the receiver (home theater) is set to On, you can hear sound output from the TV's Optical jack. When the TV is displaying a DTV(air) signal, the TV will send out 5.1 channel sound to the Home theater receiver. When the source is a digital component such as a DVD and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 channel sound will be heard from the Home Theater receiver. If you want to hear 5.1 channel audio, connect the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) jack on the DVD player or Cable/Satellite Box directly to an Amplifier or Home Theater, not the TV.

This is true for all TV sets as the copy protection mechanism HDCP prevents the TV set from passing through the audio bitstream in its original form such as DD5.1 if the material is copy protected.
post #41 of 508 Old 10-07-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valley_nomad View Post

My Samsung TV Manual states:
When the receiver (home theater) is set to On, you can hear sound output from the TV's Optical jack. When the TV is displaying a DTV(air) signal, the TV will send out 5.1 channel sound to the Home theater receiver. When the source is a digital component such as a DVD and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 channel sound will be heard from the Home Theater receiver. If you want to hear 5.1 channel audio, connect the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) jack on the DVD player or Cable/Satellite Box directly to an Amplifier or Home Theater, not the TV.

This is true for all TV sets as the copy protection mechanism HDCP prevents the TV set from passing through the audio bitstream in its original form such as DD5.1 if the material is copy protected.

Well this is not the case for every TV, as has been noted on this forum.. this actually varies with each TV.
I have a W5100 and it does send 5.1 output and have tested it with a PS3 and a Xbox.. Havent tested it with a actual DVD player...
Note: though that it will only pass 5.1 DD but in case of a DTS signal it doesnt...
Keeping my fingers crossed that this Sony doesnt block this out with an update.
post #42 of 508 Old 10-08-2010, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGiants75 View Post

Davyo-

As far as the sub compared to the Sony sub,,, the Vizio wins for me.

The exchange went good and bad,,, I called Costco and told them there was a issue with just the bar itself (LED lights were not working) the said no problem, bring it in instead of the whole system and we will just swap out the bar for you as you have asked us to do,,,, I said cool,, went down to Costco and swaped out to a new bar,,, drove back home and hooked it up only to realize each bar it set to match up wirelessly with the included sub,, they are paired to each other, and only each other,,, I thought the bar would pair with any of the same model of sub,,, not the case,,,, so I had to drive back down to Costco and also swap out the sub,,,, lesson learned on my part.

Have not tried music yet on the 510.

Anyhow, everything is working great and still loving the VHT510 !!!!

Cheers
Davyo
post #43 of 508 Old 10-08-2010, 04:58 AM

I believe the manual has instructions on how to manually pair a soundbar with the sub.
post #44 of 508 Old 10-08-2010, 06:09 AM

Man now you are making me think I made a mistake of getting the jvc soundbar.
post #45 of 508 Old 10-08-2010, 06:17 AM

Thanks for the review on the 510!

Sounds like a really nice system but I really wish Vizio would join the 21st century and include 5 HDMI connectors! Heck, if it even had one HDMI connector that would at least give people the option of using a HDMI switch for other devices...
post #46 of 508 Old 10-08-2010, 08:24 AM

Davyo-

I also recall reading in the manual that you could have manually paired a new bar with the sub.

Can you comment on the bass from the sub? 510 sub vs Sony 150 sub that you had? Does it pack a punch?
post #47 of 508 Old 10-08-2010, 11:25 AM

Newington Costco in Virginia has a plethora of them. At least 10 on the floor.
post #48 of 508 Old 10-08-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
A lot of questions about bass. Although I have not heard the 510, I have listened to the 210 extensively and the bass is everything it should be. Tight, extended, low distortion. And most importantly matches the sonic attributes of the SB. Size and powert are not very relevant in this category. Especially power as in many cases this number was pulled out of thin air. If the bass amp was designed to match the accoustic properties of the driver and enclosure, 60W could easily outperform a unit rated for 300W. Also, a driver size of 5-7"
7" should in theory match the attributes of the SB better as it should be able to accomodate the upper bass frequencies matching the SB LF cutoff. The only way to know for certain is to listen and measure.

As an example, the sub with the JVC outperforms the dedicated 10" 150W sub purchased to match a Yamaha YSP. The yamaha is not even close.

David Freeman
post #49 of 508 Old 10-08-2010, 01:34 PM

hey davyo

thanks for another great review. i am still in the market, and thought i had it narrowed down to the new pioneer SB, or the successor to the BA1, yet here you are throwing a wrench into my decision!!!! just kidding, its always great to hear hands on experiences from forum members

i shied away from any setup involving rear speakers because i did not want to run wires under the carpet, but i see that with the 510 you connect the speakers directly to the sub, which can be placed in the rear of the room... ingenious!!!

the only hurdle here is the solitary optical input, but i see that you resolved it. can you post a link to the splitter you purchased from monoprice?

also, a couple of questions i am hoping that you, or someone else, can answer...

have you tried setting this up with a Harmony remote?
do the rear speakers HAVE to be wallmounted, or is there any way to put them on stands? do they swivel if wall mounted?

and lastly, my bday is coming up... should i ask for this as a gift, or should i wait for BA1's successor? haha

thanks!
post #50 of 508 Old 10-08-2010, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It looks like a manual switch which would require walking up to the thing...definitely not ideal. There are cheaper ones, but this is what they look like:

http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-SW100-D...6571611&sr=8-1
post #51 of 508 Old 10-08-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

A lot of questions about bass. Although I have not heard the 510, I have listened to the 210 extensively and the bass is everything it should be. Tight, extended, low distortion. And most importantly matches the sonic attributes of the SB. Size and powert are not very relevant in this category. Especially power as in many cases this number was pulled out of thin air. If the bass amp was designed to match the accoustic properties of the driver and enclosure, 60W could easily outperform a unit rated for 300W. Also, a driver size of 5-7"
7" should in theory match the attributes of the SB better as it should be able to accomodate the upper bass frequencies matching the SB LF cutoff. The only way to know for certain is to listen and measure.

As an example, the sub with the JVC outperforms the dedicated 10" 150W sub purchased to match a Yamaha YSP. The yamaha is not even close.

Thanks for that info.
post #52 of 508 Old 10-09-2010, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurandavid View Post

No mistake made at all getting the JVC,,, I still think the JVC is a killer soundbar and has exellent sound,,,, and for anyone that does not want or is not willing to run rear speakers it the best soundbar out there (in my opinion).

There are things I like about the JVC over the Vizio, one of them being I have found that the JVC does better at dialog for late night viewing, as in, with the Vizio you have to turn up the system more to hear the dialog better even though the Vizio has a center channel vol adjustment, with the JVC you have louder dialog by turning up the center channel while not making the rest of the system louder,, and the JVC's DRC works better than the Vizio's vol limiter for late night viewing.

The JVC also has 2 optical inputs compared to the Vizio's one,,, also the JVC's LED level readout/display in better than the LED bars that light up on the Vizio.

So no,,, dont feel bad about getting the JVC at all,,,, both the JVC and the Vizio have their pros and cons and are both great sounding systems.

Cheers
Davyo
post #53 of 508 Old 10-09-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurandavid View Post

It is obvious to me that if you want to enjoy the true surround sound and you have only one broadcast video source (e.g. OTA from TV or a digital cable or a satellite set-top box that has an optical output), then VHT510 is the excellent (and currently only) soundbar choice.
post #54 of 508 Old 10-09-2010, 10:16 PM
ddt

I'm also wondering about using the 510 without the rear speakers especially if you think it sounded better than the 210. I'm trying to decide whether it would be worth it to get the 510 over the 210 if I'm not planning to use the rears.
post #55 of 508 Old 10-10-2010, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valley_nomad View Post

It is obvious to me that if you want to enjoy the true surround sound and you have only one broadcast video source (e.g. OTA from TV or a digital cable or a satellite set-top box that has an optical output), then VHT510 is the excellent (and currently only) soundbar choice.

One can purchase a optical switcher from MonoPrice for under $7.00, 3 in one out,, thats what I am using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddt View Post

I'm also wondering about using the 510 without the rear speakers especially if you think it sounded better than the 210. I'm trying to decide whether it would be worth it to get the 510 over the 210 if I'm not planning to use the rears.

If your not going to use rears just get the 210.

Cheers
Davyo
post #56 of 508 Old 10-10-2010, 08:24 AM

@Davyo,
You were going to post your opinions with the rear volume turned all the way down...
Did you get a chance to try that? If so can youplease post how it sounds with the rear turned all the way down...
post #57 of 508 Old 10-10-2010, 09:30 AM

I just bought a Toslink switch. Should I hook my TV into the switch or my satellite box?
post #58 of 508 Old 10-10-2010, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogambokhushhua View Post

@Davyo,
You were going to post your opinions with the rear volume turned all the way down...
Did you get a chance to try that? If so can youplease post how it sounds with the rear turned all the way down...

Nope, totally forgot to check that out,,,, I will post back on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by signal34 View Post

I just bought a Toslink switch. Should I hook my TV into the switch or my satellite box?

I would help to know what your set-up is,,,, sources, amp, receiver ect.,, stuff like that ???

Cheers
Davyo
post #59 of 508 Old 10-10-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

I would help to know what your set-up is,,,, sources, amp, receiver ect.,, stuff like that ???

Cheers
Davyo

Sorry bout that. All I have is a Vizio XVT3SV TV, Directv box and Blu-Ray player. No receiver, amp, etc, just the 510.
post #60 of 508 Old 10-10-2010, 06:08 PM

@signal 34
The TOSLINK switch will only switch audio...
you need to hookup all your video (DirectTV Box and blu ray player) to the TV
and then audio over optical to the toslink switch and the toslink feeding the 510.
also whenever you switch video you would also have to switch the correct audio input on the toslink switch..

Also for people with just two sources you can use this
http://monoprice.com/products/produc...seq=1&format=4
Even though its a 1 to 2 splitter people have successfully used it as a switch as long as the just one source is active at a time..
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page