Vizio 510, Vizio 210, JVC BA1 another Davyo shoot-out w/ pictures - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 508 Old 10-10-2010, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogambokhushhua View Post

@signal 34
The TOSLINK switch will only switch audio...
you need to hookup all your video (DirectTV Box and blu ray player) to the TV
and then audio over optical to the toslink switch and the toslink feeding the 510.
also whenever you switch video you would also have to switch the correct audio input on the toslink switch..

Also for people with just two sources you can use this
http://monoprice.com/products/produc...seq=1&format=4
Even though its a 1 to 2 splitter people have successfully used it as a switch as long as the just one source is active at a time..

Many thanks for the info. I did look at that one, but went with a powered one that handles 4 inputs/2 outputs in case I get some more components in the near future. Got it for a great price on eBay.

But I guess I should have tried to make my question clearer:

Should I use run the Toslink from the TV to the switch, or the Directv receiver to the switch? Will I get better sound quality from the Directv receiver or TV, or is it a moot point since each can output 5.1?

Thanks for all the help guys....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 508 Old 10-10-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by signal34 View Post

Many thanks for the info. I did look at that one, but went with a powered one that handles 4 inputs/2 outputs in case I get some more components in the near future. Got it for a great price on eBay.

But I guess I should have tried to make my question clearer:

Should I use run the Toslink from the TV to the switch, or the Directv receiver to the switch? Will I get better sound quality from the Directv receiver or TV, or is it a moot point since each can output 5.1?

Thanks for all the help guys....

its always better to get the link directly from the source..
in your case unless you use OTA channels i would recommends both your blu ray and STB connect to your switch and the output of the switch to the bar..
in case you also view OTA..
STB, TV and Blu ray all of them to the switch and the output of the switch to the bar...
post #63 of 508 Old 10-11-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:

its always better to get the link directly from the source..
in your case unless you use OTA channels i would recommends both your blu ray and STB connect to your switch and the output of the switch to the bar..
in case you also view OTA..
STB, TV and Blu ray all of them to the switch and the output of the switch to the bar...

Ahhhh....I totally forgot about OTA -- good thing I bought the 4 input switch.

Thanks very much mogam!
post #64 of 508 Old 10-11-2010, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey Davyo, does the sub have a separate volume that can be turned down to nothing so I can use another sub? I have an existing Paradigm 10" powered sub that I run directly off my TV's analog audio out. I used to have a whole 5.1 but I got tired of the wiring every time I moved.

I was thinking about utilizing the Vizio for everything else...the front bar of course, then putting the wireless Vizio sub in the back almost like a hub for the surrounds, and then turning the sub itself off. I wonder if that would ruin the blend of audio and I would be missing a lot of mid-bass from the Vizio sub. Then again, I could turn my crossover on the 10" up a bit to compensate. Wondering your thoughts on running a system like that.

Or, would you recommend the JVC TH-BA3 and I can just simply not incorporate the sub at all since it has a separate amp for the rear surrounds. I guess at that point I would ask how is the overall surround performance compare between the TH-BA3 vs the new Vizio?

The other system I am considering is a YSP-4000 which has a sub out, but that is much more expensive.
post #65 of 508 Old 10-11-2010, 04:30 PM
ddt

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

If your not going to use rears just get the 210.

Cheers
Davyo

So I can assume that the 210's sound same as the 510's without the rears. Cause I'm willing to spend the extra even if they are only a little bit better.
Thanks.
post #66 of 508 Old 10-11-2010, 10:57 PM

I do not own any of the Vizio soundbars or home theaters; never have, but I am considering it...

From the Vizio's web site, 510 can decode DTS 2.0, but 210 does not. So spec is different...
post #67 of 508 Old 10-12-2010, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post

Hey Davyo, does the sub have a separate volume that can be turned down to nothing so I can use another sub? I have an existing Paradigm 10" powered sub that I run directly off my TV's analog audio out. I used to have a whole 5.1 but I got tired of the wiring every time I moved.

I was thinking about utilizing the Vizio for everything else...the front bar of course, then putting the wireless Vizio sub in the back almost like a hub for the surrounds, and then turning the sub itself off. I wonder if that would ruin the blend of audio and I would be missing a lot of mid-bass from the Vizio sub. Then again, I could turn my crossover on the 10" up a bit to compensate. Wondering your thoughts on running a system like that.

Or, would you recommend the JVC TH-BA3 and I can just simply not incorporate the sub at all since it has a separate amp for the rear surrounds. I guess at that point I would ask how is the overall surround performance compare between the TH-BA3 vs the new Vizio?

The other system I am considering is a YSP-4000 which has a sub out, but that is much more expensive.

Yes, you can turn the sub all the way down on the 510.
As far as using another sub, cant offer an opinion on that as I have never done that,, best thing to do is try it out and see if it works and blends ok.
The BA3 vs the Vizio 510,, soundwise thats a tough one,, they are both great sounding systems,,,, the Vizio wins though for ease of hook-up though,, with the JVC BA3 you need 3 power sources, the bar, the sub and the rears all need power,,, with the Vizio you only need 2 power sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddt View Post

So I can assume that the 210's sound same as the 510's without the rears. Cause I'm willing to spend the extra even if they are only a little bit better.
Thanks.

Only a guess on my part but I think the 210 bar and the 510 bar would be different sounding,,,, the 210 bar needs to create all the surround effects while the 510 bar rely's on the rears for the surround effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallychu View Post

I do not own any of the Vizio soundbars or home theaters; never have, but I am considering it...

From the Vizio's web site, 510 can decode DTS 2.0, but 210 does not. So spec is different...

Correct,, the 210 does not do DTS and the 510 does do DTS.

Cheers
Davyo
post #68 of 508 Old 10-12-2010, 10:31 AM
ddt

"Only a guess on my part but I think the 210 bar and the 510 bar would be different sounding,,,, the 210 bar needs to create all the surround effects while the 510 bar rely's on the rears for the surround effects."

Good point.
post #69 of 508 Old 10-12-2010, 10:52 AM

Without the rears speakers, is the Vizio 510 better than the JVC in SQ?
post #70 of 508 Old 10-12-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirnice View Post

Without the rears speakers, is the Vizio 510 better than the JVC in SQ?

If the question is for me, the answer is, I have no idea as I never compared the Vizio 510 against the JVC BA1 with the Vizio's rear speakers turned off.

Cheers
Davyo
post #71 of 508 Old 10-12-2010, 12:08 PM

My question is for anyone with experience of the 2 sound bars. I received the JVC last week and still have not opened it.

Davyo, you like the Vizio 510 more than the JVC when all speakers are in use. Would that be a correct statement?

I guess my question to you is; How much more? Is it a huge in sound quality or is it only minor differences? I'm trying to decide if I should keep the JVC and buy the Vizio at Costco.

Thanks in advance.
post #72 of 508 Old 10-12-2010, 12:56 PM

I was wondering if anyone with the Vizio 510 unit can tell me...

1. How thick is the power brick? I'm trying to figure out if this will fit in the outlet that is behind my wall mounted LCD on a slim mount.

2. Assuming the optical out of my TV is only 2.1, will the rear speakers produce any sound? i.e. will it repeat the sound of the front bar or at that point should they have even be plugged in? I'm trying to figure out if it is worth my running an optical cable through my wall from my Tivo/DVD player.
post #73 of 508 Old 10-12-2010, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirnice View Post

My question is for anyone with experience of the 2 sound bars. I received the JVC last week and still have not opened it.

Davyo, you like the Vizio 510 more than the JVC when all speakers are in use. Would that be a correct statement?

I guess my question to you is; How much more? Is it a huge in sound quality or is it only minor differences? I'm trying to decide if I should keep the JVC and buy the Vizio at Costco.

Thanks in advance.

Did you buy the JVC from some one that charges re-stocking fee's only if its opened ???

Yes, I like the Vizio more than the JVC but at the same time I gota say the JVC is a great soundbar,, they both have their pros and cons.

Personaly what I think you should do is try the JVC and the Vizio out side by side and see for yourself which one works best for you,,, and of course post your opinions here afterwards

Costco has a great return policy if the Vizio is the one you decide to return.

Cheers
Davyo
post #74 of 508 Old 10-12-2010, 02:26 PM

@Davyo,
I apologize but i am going to bug you again for your opinion on how the soundbar sounds with the rear volume turned down..
post #75 of 508 Old 10-12-2010, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone know if the 510 is available anywhere than Costco? We don't have any around Knoxville.
post #76 of 508 Old 10-12-2010, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

Does anyone know if the 510 is available anywhere than Costco? We don't have any around Knoxville.

Target too, I believe.
post #77 of 508 Old 10-13-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Target too, I believe.

Didn't see it at my super target in Orlando this past weekend, and not available yet on target.com.
post #78 of 508 Old 10-13-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post

Didn't see it at my super target in Orlando this past weekend, and not available yet on target.com.

I stand corrected. Amazon's page for the 510 was just updated and is now sold by Target for $40 less than the original price it had. It is now just $10 more than Costco. I hope the stores have them now as well.
post #79 of 508 Old 10-14-2010, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

@Davyo,
I apologize but i am going to bug you again for your opinion on how the soundbar sounds with the rear volume turned down..

Hey Mogam

I fired up the 510 and turned down the rears all the way for you,,, not sure why you were wondering what it would sound like with the rears off,, but I was not to impressed,,, if you were asking for a comparison between the 210 and the 510, then this would be my opinion,,,,,,,the bar of the 210 is designed to put out the surround effects while the bar of the 510 is designed to work in concert with the rears to produce the overall sound.

Cheers
Davyo
post #80 of 508 Old 10-14-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Hey Mogam

I fired up the 510 and turned down the rears all the way for you,,, not sure why you were wondering what it would sound like with the rears off,, but I was not to impressed,,, if you were asking for a comparison between the 210 and the 510, then this would be my opinion,,,,,,,the bar of the 210 is designed to put out the surround effects while the bar of the 510 is designed to work in concert with the rears to produce the overall sound.

Cheers
Davyo

Thanks Davyo,
Just to clarify why i was interested in it, I am debating about getting this or the 150, and currently i stay in a place in which i cannot setup the rears but MAY move to a new place(maybe out in a Asian country ) in summer and i am hoping that i will be able to hook up the rears later...
and hence the question.. i was wondering how the bar will sound without the rears and will i be able to endure it till summer...
post #81 of 508 Old 10-15-2010, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Davyo,
Just to clarify why i was interested in it, I am debating about getting this or the 150, and currently i stay in a place in which i cannot setup the rears but MAY move to a new place(maybe out in a Asian country ) in summer and i am hoping that i will be able to hook up the rears later...
and hence the question.. i was wondering how the bar will sound without the rears and will i be able to endure it till summer...

I hanging the rears in the rear area of a room then hanging the rears more towards the front of the room should work pretty good as well,,, just a thought.

As far as getting the Sony 150,,,, the JVC BA1 is a much better sounding system,,,, in my side by side at home testing the JVC blew away the Sony 150.

Cheers
Davyo
post #82 of 508 Old 10-15-2010, 09:08 AM

Davyo,

Thanks for another great write-up. I am curious (I know this was mentioned earlier in the thread) if you have had time to do a quick listen to some music yet. I've been close to getting a couple soundbars now and am hoping this one handles music as well as it does movies. I am guessing the 510 is probably going to sound very good with muisc, but if it didn't sound as good as a cheaper model (like the jvc), then I would most likely get that one instead.

Thanks!
post #83 of 508 Old 10-16-2010, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Depending on your musical tastes, the JVC sounds a little thin on music. There is about a one half octave gap in the mid bass region (120hz-185hz) between the subwoofer's HF rolloff and the soundbars LF rolloff. Some content sounds better than others.

My lastyear's Vizio soundbar was much better with musical content with or without sub-woofer. The JVC is way better for video. JVC currently in my home theater, Vizio doing work for sound and video in the master bedroom.

JVC handles some rock and country well. Very good on acoustical jazz. Deficiencies show rather badly on most classical or demanding rock.

The Sony CT-100 was only mediocre with audio sources. The Yamaha YSP-900 was good when set as for two-channel.

David Freeman
post #84 of 508 Old 10-17-2010, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitract View Post

Davyo,

Thanks for another great write-up. I am curious (I know this was mentioned earlier in the thread) if you have had time to do a quick listen to some music yet. I've been close to getting a couple soundbars now and am hoping this one handles music as well as it does movies. I am guessing the 510 is probably going to sound very good with muisc, but if it didn't sound as good as a cheaper model (like the jvc), then I would most likely get that one instead.

Thanks!

Sorry to say, I have not played any music thru the 510 yet,,,, Im such a movie junkie,,,, and I never play music at home,,,,, I know that sounds weird so I will explain since I have been asked more than a few times how music sounds with some of the soundbars I have tried out and owned.

At night I work as a musician and am playing clubs and other venues 3 to 5 nights a week,,,, on nights I am not playing out, Im most of the time at rehearsal with one of the bands Im in,,,, so when I get home the last thing I want to do is listen to more music.

Cheers
Davyo
post #85 of 508 Old 10-17-2010, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the reply anyway Davyo. I understand. I am going to go ahead and get the 510 anyway and will be sure to post my thoughts on it with regards to music playback. Also, drfreeman60's thoughts on the JVC help a lot as that was the next best option for me.
post #86 of 508 Old 10-18-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitract View Post

Thanks for the reply anyway Davyo. I understand. I am going to go ahead and get the 510 anyway and will be sure to post my thoughts on it with regards to music playback. Also, drfreeman60's thoughts on the JVC help a lot as that was the next best option for me.

If you can't wall mount the speakers you can always get stands. I got some stands from monoprice for that very reason and their awesome and no holes in the wall.
post #87 of 508 Old 10-18-2010, 09:27 AM

so if we use TV switching and output via optical to the 510, how does the 510 create surround sound from a 2.1 signal?
post #88 of 508 Old 10-18-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigser View Post

If you can't wall mount the speakers you can always get stands. I got some stands from monoprice for that very reason and their awesome and no holes in the wall.

Hey can you link to the stands? You've got me curious. Thanks!
post #89 of 508 Old 10-18-2010, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKinNYC View Post

so if we use TV switching and output via optical to the 510, how does the 510 create surround sound from a 2.1 signal?

Simulated surround. On some systems this is really good. On other systems, not quite. On some, downright horrible.

For multi-channel sound, your best option is to feed from source to the output device.

David Freeman
post #90 of 508 Old 10-18-2010, 10:36 PM

Just got my 510 from Costco today and was very pleased with the appearance and enclosure build quality. The high gloss black cabinets accented with polished aluminum are well-fitted and look very nice. I'm not so sure about the circuit build quality though.

I spent about 30 minutes trying to dial in the sound I wanted and was making progress (I thought) but have been sidetracked by an annoying whine reported by others (also present in some 210's) and a "snap, crackle, and pop" when changing TV channels. I have it connected via optical directly from my digital (AT&T Uverse/Motorola) cable box. Because of these aberrant noises, I have not even tried the 510 with my Oppo yet.

The whine is not loud but can be heard when the volume is muted or when the 510 is turned off - you have to unplug it for the whine to stop. The "snap, crackle, and pop" during channel changing is moderately loud. How many others have had these problems?

I really want the 510 to work for me. It fits so well with my system and oozes good looks and class (for relatively little $) and there is the hint of comparatively good sound with what I have heard so far. I expect that the prevailing advice would be to return it and see how the replacement 510 performs.

I read that Davyo had to return his first 510 and was quite pleased with his replacement and that others have had issues with their 210's. This does raise the possibility that Vizio may have a few circuit component quality control issues.

My comments are by no means a "rant" and because of the predominately positive opinions of the recent Vizio soundbars, I will go to the trouble to get another 510 from Costco and will report on the replacement.

David
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page