Polk SurroundBar6000 IHT...anyone heard a thing on this one? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I can't find a review of this product anywhere. There are plenty for the 3000, but nothing on the 6000. Seems like a nice system with that 7" sub which is larger than the competition. Anyone heard this system or seen any actual reviews on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

If you go to Crutchfield, there are some reviews there, but they are written by customers. My SIL just got one and I will be mounting and installing it on Sunday.
MagicMan3 likes this.

Juan

My HT
post #3 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 03:14 PM

More than a year ago I purchased the Polk SDA IHT. That makes it about age 50 in HTIB soundbar years. A lot has changed since then and today there are a lot more choices. The 6000 would have to sound pretty amazing to justify its price versus the competition. Nice to see they added optical and a larger sub for the 6000. Looking forward to Juan's review.
post #4 of 15 Old 10-22-2010, 06:59 PM

Liked: 10
I have one setup in our living room. It is perfect for my need. I had 3 soundbars in my house at 1 time (vizio 210, polk 6000, samsung - the one from best buy) trying all and this one sounded the best so even though it cost twice as much as sammy and 4 times the vizio, it was the only one whose "virtual surround sound" worked in my space. I tested the surround with my avia test dvd and all 5 channels were pretty accurate although the virtual rears seemed to hit me from the side. I would have tried the viz 510 but rear speakers were not an option for my living room space.

Cosmetically it is a perfect match to my LG LED finish (gloss black) so looks very clean which was a must from the wife. Also very thin compared to the others I have seen and looks great on the wall with the ultrathin LEDs.

I have a 7.1 system in the basement and this is definitely not a replacement, but I am still very satisfied. Im pretty sure though the ability for these things to perform is based on your room dimensions so best thing to do is try them. I hesitant recommending because Im sure if the quality changes depending on the wall config.

Ah.... The remote "learning" by polk is awesome too. I think I would have had to buy a harmony for my family room if I stayed with the vizio.

Only real con is I can't get the sub control to work with my uverse remote. Not a big deal, but find myself wanting to adjust it going between music and movies so either have to do it from the soundbar or the tiny remote that came with it. Also the remote sensor is a little weak meaning I have to concentrate on aiming the remote pretty accurately to get the remote to pick up.

Im not an audiophile by any means but it is night and day better than the TV speakers, looks great, and tries its best to be a 5.1
post #5 of 15 Old 10-25-2010, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moontz View Post

I have one setup in our living room. It is perfect for my need. I had 3 soundbars in my house at 1 time (vizio 210, polk 6000, samsung - the one from best buy) trying all and this one sounded the best so even though it cost twice as much as sammy and 4 times the vizio, it was the only one whose "virtual surround sound" worked in my space. I tested the surround with my avia test dvd and all 5 channels were pretty accurate although the virtual rears seemed to hit me from the side. I would have tried the viz 510 but rear speakers were not an option for my living room space.

Cosmetically it is a perfect match to my LG LED finish (gloss black) so looks very clean which was a must from the wife. Also very thin compared to the others I have seen and looks great on the wall with the ultrathin LEDs.

I have a 7.1 system in the basement and this is definitely not a replacement, but I am still very satisfied. Im pretty sure though the ability for these things to perform is based on your room dimensions so best thing to do is try them. I hesitant recommending because Im sure if the quality changes depending on the wall config.

Ah.... The remote "learning" by polk is awesome too. I think I would have had to buy a harmony for my family room if I stayed with the vizio.

Only real con is I can't get the sub control to work with my uverse remote. Not a big deal, but find myself wanting to adjust it going between music and movies so either have to do it from the soundbar or the tiny remote that came with it. Also the remote sensor is a little weak meaning I have to concentrate on aiming the remote pretty accurately to get the remote to pick up.

Im not an audiophile by any means but it is night and day better than the TV speakers, looks great, and tries its best to be a 5.1

Thanks for your review! A couple questions about the bass...is it tight or boomy, and does the sub enclosure rattle? Also, what is your impression of the mid-bass?
post #6 of 15 Old 10-25-2010, 12:10 PM

Hey Moontz, thanks for the excellent review. Especially interesting is the fact you did an in home shootout with two other well received soundbars. Occasionally while watching TV with my soundbar, the dialog is overpowered by soundtrack. Perhaps it's just my old ears. Have you experienced this with the 6000? Thanks again for the review.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-26-2010, 07:00 AM

To answer both questions, mid-range seems good and dialog is clear. Im not sure what the sub cross over is set to (not adjustable), but sounds about right. I was able to adjust the sub sound level to where it sounds natural.

One note though.... I just realized that certain BDs do not get surround processed by the 6000. There is an indicator light that displays if it is receiving a dolby dig signal or a pcm. All DVDs, cable, and streaming process in DD and I can hear the surround effects. There are certain BDs though that dont process in DD (ie Avatar) but in DTS HD and goes through PCM and can definitely hear a difference. Ive tried bitstream as well and cant get the bar to pick up surround in these cases. It still sounds 100x better than the TV speakers, but annoyed because it seems a little out of date already because it cant process these (prob something to do with no hdmi and only optical input). Anyhow, I may just give the CT-350 a run just to see how it processes the DTS tracks and make a decision from there.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-26-2010, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Moontz, from what I read online the Polk bar only supports 2 ch. PCM and DD over the optical connection so your assumption about DTS is likely correct.

I have the CT350 and DTS MA sounds amazing. My connection is BD--->HDMI--->CT350 and I have the player set to send PCM. Can't guantee you'll like it, but I find DTS sounds better than DD (which sounds darn good, BTW).
post #9 of 15 Old 10-26-2010, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Moontz, from what I read online the Polk bar only supports 2 ch. PCM and DD over the optical connection so your assumption about DTS is likely correct.

I have the CT350 and DTS MA sounds amazing. My connection is BD--->HDMI--->CT350 and I have the player set to send PCM. Can't guantee you'll like it, but I find DTS sounds better than DD (which sounds darn good, BTW).

Thank you for pointing that out!! Here I was assuming it was 5.1, but I looked on their site and nowhere does it say DD 5.1. Sneaky marketing right there IMO. 2-channel "Dolby Digital"...providing all of zero benefit over 2-channel analog.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-26-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post

Thank you for pointing that out!! Here I was assuming it was 5.1, but I looked on their site and nowhere does it say DD 5.1. Sneaky marketing right there IMO. 2-channel "Dolby Digital"...providing all of zero benefit over 2-channel analog.

It does do DD 5.1 and works great with dvds, streaming, cable. But I can not figure out how to get it to process blu rays with HD audio (ie DTS HD).

Here is the link which does say it has DD --> http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/s...=sb6000#sb6000
post #11 of 15 Old 10-26-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Thanks for the info. Thats how I would be looking to hook it up with the HDMI pass through.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-26-2010, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post

Rereading my post I see that I worded it poorly. What I meant to say was that according to the Polk site, it supports DD and 2 ch. PCM. Since DD is commonly used now to mean DD 5.1 I assumed it did 5.1 and according to Moontz' posts, it does indeed do that. Sorry that my meaning wasn't clear.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-21-2010, 08:25 PM

I feel a need to reply just to close out my thoughts on my soundbar ventures....

I ended up trying the JVC BA1, Slimstage30, and the yamaha 400 as well. My wife thinks Im crazy and not sure why I care so much about this but finally made a decision I literally watched the same scenes of movies and music sitting in the same exact spot and just changed the bar.

I bought the BA1 at frys with expectation that it would win out seeing everyone else's reviews. Not sure if it was my room setup or what but dialog really sounded muddy relative to the polk and slimstage. I tried turning center up and dialog feature on but never got it to sound as good. Also I could not detect any noticeable difference in surround effects from other bars. So I returned it.

I returned it for a yamaha s400 (the one with the sub in the receiver). Absolutely perfect bass. Really felt natural with the movie scenes and not that loose thumping and moaning you get from some cheap subs. Surround sound was next to none. Dialog was good but still not as good as polk or slimstage. Not really a volume thing, but more of a clarity thing. The voices where just not as crisp.

Now the polk 6000 and slimstage.... Both were spot on with dialog. The polk was a little better if I closed my eyes and really focused and switched between the two quickly. I used my def tech sub from my main basement system with the slimstage so bass was obviously going to be outstanding (which it was). The big drivers on the bottom on the slimstage probably helped a lot with the transition. The polk 6000 bass was also really good though. More than enough for my family room and the bass was tight and always felt right at home with the movie or music. I actually wanted to stay with the slimstage cause it looks awesome, has more control, does DTS, and gave me an excuse to buy a new sub for my main system but in the end the polk 6000 won out. I dont know what it is, but really works well in my setup. I hate not being able to adjust anything on it, but really I have put it though multiple type of dvds, blurrays, torrents, cds, mp3s, etc etc looking for flaws and it has been spot on every time. I tried adjusting the slimstage settings for almost 2 hours trying to get it to be as clear as the polk, but never could. Now I am not an audiophile (which is why I wonder I have spent so much time doing this....) but just couldnt find that perfect setting that the polk seemed to hit out of the box.

I appreciate all the reviews on here and really enjoy reading them. Take this review as you want being I am not an expert like some of the guys on here, but just a honest guys review from my family room.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-06-2010, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by moontz View Post
To answer both questions, mid-range seems good and dialog is clear. Im not sure what the sub cross over is set to (not adjustable), but sounds about right. I was able to adjust the sub sound level to where it sounds natural.
According to the white paper I found on Polk's website, the sub is set to come in at 125Hz while the main soundbar is rated down to 100Hz, so they threw in a little overlap there to make for a more seamless integration.

I am considering this Polk 6000 bar myself right now. I just got Boston Acoustics TVee 20, and I will be returning it. It has good highs, but midrange is weak (sounds rather thin), and upper bass sounds very boomy (6" driver). I think the crossover on this thing is 200 Hz or even higher which causes the lower portion of human voices to be reproduced by the sub. It's really annoying despite the fact that I have to sub dialed down to about 10 o'clock position.

The sub also emits a low level hum/buzzing sound at all times. Since it's sitting under our bed (to keep it out of sight), I can sometimes hear it at night. All in all, a failed effort by BA. Highly disappointed. I hope this Polk will sound better at 2.5x the price.

My only problem is not being able to get true surround (apart from local HD stations) because I will have it connected to the TV directly. I watch movies from my HTPC, but the HTPC is sitting in the basement with only an HDMI cable running upstairs to the TV. And I know the TV does not pass 5.1 signal via it's optical output for legal reasons. But if I can get good quality full range 2-channel audio on this bedroom TV, that's all I really care about.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

post #15 of 15 Old 12-07-2010, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Just picked up the Polk 6000. Happy to report that the bass is much more balanced/natural and the sub integrates with the bar more seamlessly. I'm not sure if it's 2.5 times better than BA, but it definitely is better.

However, this sub also hums/buzzes a bit when on. I am beginning to think it's a common trait for these wireless subs. Possibly the wireless adapter is interfering with the amp. Luckily, the buzz is weak enough, most people probably won't even notice it's there.

One thing I do love about this bar is that it's only 2" deep so it looks much sleeker underneath a slim LED TV compared to the BA which was about 5" deep and stuck out quite a bit past the TV.

All in all, I will be keeping the Polk and sending back the BA.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page