pcm or bitstream for my samsung soundbar speaker? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-19-2010, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My hw-c450 can do dts and dolby digital. No hdmi inputd so im using optical. Should i set bitstream or pcm on my ps3? My soundbar is 2.1 only and does virtual surround.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-20-2010, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Bitstream should give you the most accurate sound if your soundbar can detect it. Some soundbars do PCM only. Not sureabout the Samsung.

David Freeman
post #3 of 11 Old 10-20-2010, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

My sounbar can do dolby digital and dts and pcm. Its connected via optical to my ps3 . If i put bitstream there are two kinds mix and direct, which one is better? My soundbar is only 2.1, does that even matter?
post #4 of 11 Old 10-20-2010, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
PCM. Unless your soundbar specifically says it can handle TrueHD or DTS-MA, it cant. Your PS3 needs to decode it and send it PCM for you to get full quality. Over Optical, you will only get 2 channel PCM, I think.

Well, i assumed you were watching Blu-ray. For cable or DVD, bitstream will work and give you full 5.1 via optical.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-20-2010, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

My soundbar is only 2.1 channel. It only does a virtual surround. So if i set to bitstream and my ps3 bitstreams dolby digital 5.1, is my soundbar decoding that 5.1 dolby digital signal to 2.1? If thats the case, isnt it better to just use pcm and get 2.1?/2? Channel lossles audio via pcm.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-20-2010, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

like i said, it depends on your source. For Bluray, PCM is better. For cable or DVD, bitstream is fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-20-2010, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

So if i set it to pcm and lets say i play a bluray with dolby truehd like "how to tame your dragon" is my ps3 decoding that truehd signal to 2.1 pcm(since im using optical) and feeding 2.1 pcm to my soundbar?
post #8 of 11 Old 10-21-2010, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Try it both ways. You can let the PS3 downconvert to 2.1 and the soundbar should have a psuedo surround mode. If the soundbar accepts bitstream, it has more info to work with in creating the surrund effect.

For the absolute cleanest sound, probably PCM 2.1 to the soundbar and surround effects turned off.

David Freeman
post #9 of 11 Old 10-21-2010, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneshotmepls View Post

So if i set it to pcm and lets say i play a bluray with dolby truehd like "how to tame your dragon" is my ps3 decoding that truehd signal to 2.1 pcm(since im using optical) and feeding 2.1 pcm to my soundbar?

Yes, that is correct.

post #10 of 11 Old 02-01-2013, 05:09 AM

Hello

I'm sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have a similar situation and I hope someone can provide me with an answer.

I have an LDLD490 FREEVIEW HD TV (UK) a LG NB2020 SOUNDBAR and a cable box.

My soundbar is connected via a single optical cable to the tv.
The ps3 and the cable box are connected to the tv via HDMI only.

The tv can pass through a Dolby signal if needed from the cable box to the tv "digital out".
The tv has 2 options for digital audio which are "AUTO" and "PCM".

Setting the cable box to output surround (via hdmi only).

The ps3 as hdmi audio output setting of bitstream or lpcm. (no toslink) under bd audio output settings.

the ps3 also has under sound settings hdmi set to automatic in which I see a combination of codecs including several linear pcm 2 ch with various herz and a dolby digital 5.1.

The soundbar is 2 channel only but can accept downmixed dolby 5.1 and dts.

So what should I set the ps3 to ? Bitstream or lpcm? Does it matter?

Is the tv digital audio out (through which all sound eventually goes) set to auto or pcm? as I notice that the tv detects dolby broadcasts when set to auto from the cable box but not when the tv is set to pcm.

I guess what I want is dolby , but even with y current settings with the ps3 set to bitstream, the avengers blu ray had the title menus in dolby then the dolby icon goes when the movie starts suggesting lpcm has taken over.

Can anyone advise me of the correct settings in the loop for the best possible sound?

Thankyou very much.
I
post #11 of 11 Old 08-07-2013, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
yea i have the same question. I have the sony ht-c260 soundbar. i plan on hooking everything to the tv, using that as a switcher and running an optical audio cable from the TV to soundbar. My TV is new and can pass dolby 5.1 i believe. in my TV settings should I have it set to PCM or bitstream when watching cable TV ? how about playing PS3 ? or watching a blu ray on my PS3 ? Thanks for any help offered.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Sony Htct260 Sound Bar Home Theater System
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page