L/C/R Soundbar with balls? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 52 Old 04-27-2011, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good thread, thinking about going with the Pinnacle QP9 with the 52" Sony Bravia TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 05-03-2011, 10:18 AM

I got the Millenia 20 Trio, but just because I got it brand new for 50% of list. Haven't broken it in yet, but so far it's decent. However, it's mounting system is HORRIBLE. Made for table mounting ONLY, and wall mount, or arm mount is unstable and difficult.

I personally would have gotten the Atlantic if I could have gotten it for the same price. Or the QP15 if my TV was large enough for it.

I went with the 20 Trio over some other options because it has 4.5 inch drivers, and the center speaker is two mids, instead of a woofer and a mid.

Honestly, my opinion and conclusion I came to is that at these price points, unless you are an uber-audiophile, they're all about the same, and nothing is going to compete with the same price/quality floor standing speaker.

Also, if anybody goes Paradigm, make sure you have a decent amp, they're pretty in-efficient (85db I believe for the Trio and ADP) for anything but the top level speakers.
Next, there is definitely some separation issues with the right and left channels. You can tell what is coming form what side, but they are close to each other, and don't come as clearly from one side as even my tiny bookshelves did that were just sitting on the floor at the proper locations and angles. Sounds come form the middle left side of my 55" screen, as opposed to clearly on the left. However, once I mount my ADPs I'm hoping this will help.
One last note, Audessy set my cross-over at 90hz for the l/r channels, and 110 for the center. I actually think this is right, but if it's wrong, it's just a tad low and should be 100/120.
post #33 of 52 Old 05-03-2011, 01:29 PM

How much to the Millenia Trio 20 run? I'm leaning towards Pinnacle QP 9 (part of the Dell 13700 bundle) or Polk SurroundBar 50. Am I making a mistake?
post #34 of 52 Old 05-03-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxman1100 View Post

How much to the Millenia Trio 20 run? I'm leaning towards Pinnacle QP 9 (part of the Dell 13700 bundle) or Polk SurroundBar 50. Am I making a mistake?

I just bought the 38" wide QP 9 from the current Dell sale for a secondary HT setup. I will be keeping it, no regrets re: quality, sound or value for what I needed. I did return a 57-5/16" wide QP 15 because I couldn't find a low-profile flat panel console 60" or less with glass front AV side cabinets and full-width center cubby to fit. Had initially planned on putting the speaker bar right on top of the console, but then realized it would prohibit turning the panel for viewing from the kitchen eating area. Furniture choices are still limited, but way more options for the QP 9. At 51" wide, the Polk might pose similar issues. FWIW, manufacturer warranty = 5yrs Polk vs. 10yrs Pinnacle.
post #35 of 52 Old 05-03-2011, 06:34 PM

So any more at 50% off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarsellis View Post

I got the Millenia 20 Trio, but just because I got it brand new for 50% of list. Haven't broken it in yet, but so far it's decent. However, it's mounting system is HORRIBLE. Made for table mounting ONLY, and wall mount, or arm mount is unstable and difficult.

I personally would have gotten the Atlantic if I could have gotten it for the same price. Or the QP15 if my TV was large enough for it.

I went with the 20 Trio over some other options because it has 4.5 inch drivers, and the center speaker is two mids, instead of a woofer and a mid.

Honestly, my opinion and conclusion I came to is that at these price points, unless you are an uber-audiophile, they're all about the same, and nothing is going to compete with the same price/quality floor standing speaker.

Also, if anybody goes Paradigm, make sure you have a decent amp, they're pretty in-efficient (85db I believe for the Trio and ADP) for anything but the top level speakers.
Next, there is definitely some separation issues with the right and left channels. You can tell what is coming form what side, but they are close to each other, and don't come as clearly from one side as even my tiny bookshelves did that were just sitting on the floor at the proper locations and angles. Sounds come form the middle left side of my 55" screen, as opposed to clearly on the left. However, once I mount my ADPs I'm hoping this will help.
One last note, Audessy set my cross-over at 90hz for the l/r channels, and 110 for the center. I actually think this is right, but if it's wrong, it's just a tad low and should be 100/120.

post #36 of 52 Old 05-05-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3oris View Post
I've looked at over a dozen different soundbars and I just want something that's built to replace a traditional setup instead of giving a Bose-like sound. Admittedly, I've never heard one, but I'm assuming with small 2-4" drivers that's what I should expect?
I'm in the same position as you. Know this though, driver size means nothing when you start applying advanced speaker porting techniques and signal processing algorithms. I have a Bose SoundDock, which I think is the only good sounding product Bose makes. It is tiny but has huge sound and big deep bass. It won't work for me as a surround sound system for movies, but I'm looking for something similar in sound quality. In sound bars, I think you need to focus more on the technological trickery than the drivers.
post #37 of 52 Old 05-06-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton111 View Post

I'm in the same position as you. Know this though, driver size means nothing when you start applying advanced speaker porting techniques and signal processing algorithms. I have a Bose SoundDock, which I think is the only good sounding product Bose makes. It is tiny but has huge sound and big deep bass. It won't work for me as a surround sound system for movies, but I'm looking for something similar in sound quality. In sound bars, I think you need to focus more on the technological trickery than the drivers.

Well I wanted to be able to do all my processing with my receiver, and not have the bar start messing with things. I also wanted more than just surround effects, but also room filling quality music, and to be able to turn my tv towards my sliding glass window and see and hear it form the patio. All that kinda precluded an option with tiny little drivers.
There are quite frankly certain things that just can't be done without size. These are, after all, literally motors, and "there is no replacement for displacement".

The best value is probably the Polk 50, but it's virtual surround too, not direct driven speakers. This at least is elctro-mechanical though, no internal processing.

They tried to talk me into a Yamaha 2000 for the 30 little aimable speakers, but again, that's a built in receiver, and my room is odd shaped and couch against reach wall, so it's bouncing for virtual surround would have been terrible.

I ALMOST got the QP9 too, looks awesome, and the Pinnacle warranty is even transferable.

I got my Trio for 50% 'cos we're a Paradigm dealer, and I get anything for cost. We sell a bunch of other stuff too, and the technology and price points of the Jamo had me interested for a bit (especially the in-walls and ceilings). I 'spose I could pass along some good discounts, but billing would have to be figured out.
post #38 of 52 Old 06-05-2011, 01:36 PM

Liked: 11
Can't find much information on this https://www.avhouse.com/nxprosoundbar-p-1008.html but it looks decent for the price. Not as high-end of course. Wondering how bad or good can it be?
post #39 of 52 Old 06-06-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40kal View Post

Can't find much information on this https://www.avhouse.com/nxprosoundbar-p-1008.html but it looks decent for the price. Not as high-end of course. Wondering how bad or good can it be?

Whelp, for the price, the pictures look good. I have several questions, like size of speakers, frequency response, size of chambers and enclosure overall. Another question is efficiency, and is the advertised "135 watts" peak power across all channels? Also, what about mounting? Looks like on it's chassis on a flat surface only.

However, it obviously has 3 independent passive inputs, which I think is good. Lets you control what is output from it. Also, I like the 3 center speakers for the center channel, hopefully a high, mid, and low, but even if it's 2 mids, it still draws presence and attention to the center stage.

Price is awesome though, so if that's your budget, and you have space restrictions, it could work. I do suspect that you could get 3 low end bookshelves (especially look at polk here) to match the price and beat the performance.

IMO, you'll NEED a sub to handle the lows those will just not be able to reach, and will lose a lot of performance potential if they have to try.

Good luck, let us know how it is if you pull the trigger.
post #40 of 52 Old 06-07-2011, 12:16 AM

Here are the specs:
Maximum Power Handling 135 watts
Frequency Range Low 70Hz
Frequency Range High 23kHz
Sensitivity 88dB @ 1W/1M
Impedance 8Ω
Woofer Size Four 4"
Tweeter Size Three 1"
Speaker Type Full range
Physical Type Soundbar, vented
Number of Drivers 2-way
Cabinet Finish Black high-gloss
Maximum Cable Gauge 12-gauge
Speaker Terminal Type Binding post
Enclosed Yes
RMS Power Handling 60-135 watts
Product Height 5"
Product Width 39.75"
Product Depth 4.13"
Product Weight 24 lbs.
Warranty 3-year
Injection-molded metallic anodized woofer with rubber surround
Ultra-wide dispersion metallic anodized dome tweeter
Vented high-gloss, high-density designed enclosure
Includes threaded inserts for wall brackets

See, I have a Sony HTC100 now and its held me over for a few years. I'm buying a 55GT30 or 55ST30 (still undecided) and another soundbar is what I want. But this time I'm putting together my own pieces. So yes a receiver and sub is what I'm building the soundbar around. Since my TV is taking up the bulk of my dust, I have to compromise just a bit. Plus or minus i should say, my room can't accommodate true 5.1,

Now the alternative is a Polk Audio SurroundBar 42in model. Found it refurb'd for $299.
Midrange 7 - 3-1/2" Diameter (8.89cm)
Tweeter 3 - 3/4" Diameter (1.91cm)
Silk/Polymer composite dome
Overall Frequency Response 115HZ-23kHZ
Lower -3dB Limit 100 Hz dB
Upper -3dB Limit 20 kHz dB
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power 20 - 125 w/channel
Efficiency 89 dB4-7/16" H x 42-5/8" W x 5-1/8" D
(11.27cm H x 108.27cm W x 13.02cm D)
Product Weight 25.00 lbs. (11.34kgs)

If I had a sub and receiver already I would demo them both. Polk has 2 more channels and 3 more woofers. I'm sure they would both sound good or better than my Sony, I'm wondering if the Polk sounds like a $999 retail piece or not much different than the NXG at their similar "onsale" pricing. QUESTION: If I'm going with one of the two soundbars and a sub how important is my choice of receiver?
Thanks for responding tarsellis if I do go with the NXG soundbar, I'll be sure to contribute.
post #41 of 52 Old 06-07-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton111 View Post

I'm not sure you can use trickery to change physics. I'm almost sure "there's no replacement for displacement." Don't believe Bose marketing... their speakers can't product the full range of sound.

Regarding what you're saying about "deep bass" you may think that because you haven't heard real bass. My friend has a small soundbar system in his office and it's fairly impressive (sitting 6 feet away from it in a small/enclosed area), but it's nowhere near what my system does when I turn it on. Ever had so much bass your heart skip a beat or your whole house shake?

I'm no longer in the market for a Soundbar, we ended up going with traditional speakers.

Internet Certified Electrical Engineer
"I am just looking for an honest man."
post #42 of 52 Old 06-09-2011, 11:49 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40kal View Post

Here are the specs:
Maximum Power Handling 135 watts
Frequency Range Low 70Hz
Frequency Range High 23kHz
Sensitivity 88dB @ 1W/1M
Impedance 8?
Woofer Size Four 4"
Tweeter Size Three 1"
Speaker Type Full range
Physical Type Soundbar, vented
Number of Drivers 2-way
Cabinet Finish Black high-gloss
Maximum Cable Gauge 12-gauge
Speaker Terminal Type Binding post
Enclosed Yes
RMS Power Handling 60-135 watts
Product Height 5"
Product Width 39.75"
Product Depth 4.13"
Product Weight 24 lbs.
Warranty 3-year
Injection-molded metallic anodized woofer with rubber surround
Ultra-wide dispersion metallic anodized dome tweeter
Vented high-gloss, high-density designed enclosure
Includes threaded inserts for wall brackets

See, I have a Sony HTC100 now and its held me over for a few years. I'm buying a 55GT30 or 55ST30 (still undecided) and another soundbar is what I want. But this time I'm putting together my own pieces. So yes a receiver and sub is what I'm building the soundbar around. Since my TV is taking up the bulk of my dust, I have to compromise just a bit. Plus or minus i should say, my room can't accommodate true 5.1,

Now the alternative is a Polk Audio SurroundBar 42in model. Found it refurb'd for $299.
Midrange 7 - 3-1/2" Diameter (8.89cm)
Tweeter 3 - 3/4" Diameter (1.91cm)
Silk/Polymer composite dome
Overall Frequency Response 115HZ-23kHZ
Lower -3dB Limit 100 Hz dB
Upper -3dB Limit 20 kHz dB
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power 20 - 125 w/channel
Efficiency 89 dB4-7/16" H x 42-5/8" W x 5-1/8" D
(11.27cm H x 108.27cm W x 13.02cm D)
Product Weight 25.00 lbs. (11.34kgs)

If I had a sub and receiver already I would demo them both. Polk has 2 more channels and 3 more woofers. I'm sure they would both sound good or better than my Sony, I'm wondering if the Polk sounds like a $999 retail piece or not much different than the NXG at their similar "onsale" pricing. QUESTION: If I'm going with one of the two soundbars and a sub how important is my choice of receiver?
Thanks for responding tarsellis if I do go with the NXG soundbar, I'll be sure to contribute.

Where did you find the Polk 42 for $299?
post #43 of 52 Old 06-13-2011, 01:44 PM

Ebay...purchased a Surroundbar 50 last night, now playing the waiting game. Will share my thoughts.
post #44 of 52 Old 06-14-2011, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That BIC soundbar looks nice, is it powered or does it require a receiver?
post #45 of 52 Old 06-14-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistersix View Post

That BIC soundbar looks nice, is it powered or does it require a receiver?

It requires a receiver
post #46 of 52 Old 06-15-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philaseller View Post

Thanks to the last poster for compiling the list of websites. I am looking for a passive three speaker soundbar to sit on the table top in front of my TV. I will be using separate speakers for the rear. I've compiled the following list of likely candidates, some of which have not been mentioned on this forum. I'd appreciate any further advice.
Thanks

Atlantic Technology FS 4000
Tru- Audio P 300
Paradigm Millenia 20 Trio
Triad Mini LCR 3.0 SF
Phase Technology TSB-PC 3.0

Did you end up getting any of these? I in the same situation as the OP, looking for a passive LCR soundbar, budget is $1500. Just looking for any additional feedbacks on any of these.
post #47 of 52 Old 06-29-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ftonm3 View Post

Atlantic Technology FS-5000

I would consider that a L/C/R with balls. Unfortunately it's expensive at $1600.

I wasn't impressed with the FS-5000. Sure, it was able to get really loud, but the clarity just wasn't there. Maybe I am a bit spoiled coming from a set of Dali Mentor 2s, but after starting with one of the best soundbars out there, I don't know if a soundbar is right for me.

Anyone want a deal on a FS-5000?
post #48 of 52 Old 06-30-2011, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have the QP9 LCR from Pinnacle as part of the set offered at dell.com.

The clarity is awesome, however audyssey consistenly crosses it over at 120Hz, sometimes 150Hz when I run it. It sounds good and blends well with my polk psw111 8" sub, but for music it's not so great. Compared to just a set of HTD level 2 bookshelf speakers, I choose the bookshelves every time.

Now for movies or gaming, it's awesome. However, something like that TruAudio P-300 LCR would be exactly what I'm looking for. Something aesthetically pleasing, with decent midbass and can be crossed over at 80Hz.
post #49 of 52 Old 07-13-2011, 08:55 PM

I just ordered the Pinnacle QP 15 from Meijer for $479 shipped. Full report to come next week if UPS is on time.
post #50 of 52 Old 07-14-2011, 01:19 PM

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Bic? Ive heard good things about the Bic line before but im of the belief you get what you pay for! I have $500 to spend, and already have a Onkyo receiver and Outlaw sub.

Just looking for LCR channels in one. Any thoughts?
post #51 of 52 Old 07-14-2011, 02:58 PM

zuk, I am not speaking from 1st-hand experience, but based on your budget and non-DSP soundbars, either the Pinnacle QP 15 (very long) referenced above in rhaas's post or the Boston P400 fits the bill.
Pinnacle can be bought here:
http://www.meijer.com/s/pinnacle-qp-...ver/_/R-165300
only on sale for a couple more days...
Boston P400 here:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065P400...00.html?tp=191
1 lone review found here:
http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acousti...owViewpoints=1
post #52 of 52 Old 07-14-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemdx03 View Post

zuk, I am not speaking from 1st-hand experience, but based on your budget and non-DSP soundbars, either the Pinnacle QP 15 (very long) referenced above in rhaas's post or the Boston P400 fits the bill.
Pinnacle can be bought here:
http://www.meijer.com/s/pinnacle-qp-...ver/_/R-165300
only on sale for a couple more days...
Boston P400 here:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065P400...00.html?tp=191
1 lone review found here:
http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acousti...owViewpoints=1

Thanks for the info, I know that Pinnacle looks nice but at 58" wide it's wider than my 55" tv. As far as the BA goes, that seems to be a great deal at Crutchfield. There are 2 available on Amazon and they are double that price.

Thanks again.
Reply Soundbars