Official Soundmatters/Aperion Slimstage owners's thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 187 Old 12-20-2012, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm surprised adding a sub didn't make much difference. Once I got my aperion sub dialed in, it made a huge difference. The bar sounds great on its own, but when I got the crossover, sub level and location right the thing sounds awesome.
What sub do you have?
I'm interested in hearing what other long term users are experiencing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 187 Old 12-20-2012, 10:43 PM

First of all, mine is the Aperion bar, not the SoundMatters one (I assume there is a diff in the firmware).
I used a Energy ESW-C8 subwoofer. My settings are listed in my 12/17/11 post...
post #183 of 187 Old 12-21-2012, 09:08 PM
MLM

Liked: 12
I was drifting by here and was somewhat surprised to see the Slimstage thread alive and kicking . . a bit.

I'll just add my $.02 after quite a bit of experience. It's very hard to dial in the correct equalization for a unit like this because TV sound varies so much and is often just awful. But in an earlier post I suggested that you needed to lift the treble in order to make the unit sing. I'm more convinced than ever that this is the case and after lifting it twice since, gradually from the middle frequencies, I began to be really impressed with it. It's really quite special for a soundbar.

When you raise the higher frequencies, you may be tempted to think you've done too much (and one time I HAD done too much) but give yourself some time to adjust to the sound and you may be pleasantly surprised. After all, you can always turn it down.

MLM
post #184 of 187 Old 12-23-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM View Post

I was drifting by here and was somewhat surprised to see the Slimstage thread alive and kicking . . a bit.
I'll just add my $.02 after quite a bit of experience. It's very hard to dial in the correct equalization for a unit like this because TV sound varies so much and is often just awful. But in an earlier post I suggested that you needed to lift the treble in order to make the unit sing. I'm more convinced than ever that this is the case and after lifting it twice since, gradually from the middle frequencies, I began to be really impressed with it. It's really quite special for a soundbar.
When you raise the higher frequencies, you may be tempted to think you've done too much (and one time I HAD done too much) but give yourself some time to adjust to the sound and you may be pleasantly surprised. After all, you can always turn it down.
MLM

I'm gonna give your recommendation a try. I've played with the EQ quite a bit, but focused primarily on the middle and low end to work on the subwoofer issue I had early on. I've bumped the highs up and down a few times just to get a sense of the range, but haven't spent as much time tweaking as I could. When I tried, the changes in channel sound drove me nuts. I'm probably going to find a middle ground for TV and tweak more for Blu Ray.

Forgot the mention the one quibble I have with the bar...It's sensitivity to remote signals. It turns on all the time when using other device or universal remote. Not a big deal, but the kids accidentally turn it on all the time when using the remote for TV or cable. I keep the volume down on the bar, so it doesn't come on at movie volume unintentionally.

I checked the soundmatters site recently and see they're still pushing that foxl portable speaker. I'm not sure if it's a legacy product too now, but if it's all they've got then I think they'll be dead in the water soon.
post #185 of 187 Old 12-23-2012, 08:58 PM
MLM

Liked: 12
I haven't had the problem you cite about its response to other remotes. I use it with a Harmony remote with no problems.

As for use with a subwoofer, my advice, for what it is worth, is to first turn the sub off and adjust the SS for the best sound setting the SS bass control in the middle. Then, using a good signal, I would turn on the sub with the volume down and raise it very gradually until you hear it only on musical material where you know that there is bass. Most of the time, like during speech, you should not be aware of it being on at all. As the sound transmissions can vary considerably in the bass you can then use the SS bass control to adjust it to your liking for each program. You can also try the above with different crossovers. Anyway, that's what I have been doing.

But it was adjusting the treble that made the most difference. I got the idea from a little 24" led tv in my home office. Overall the sound from it is not very good across the board, but the higher frequencies are and the sound is unusually clear and crisp with the speech very intelligible. Simulating that treble in the SS brought it to life. As delivered, with the eq flat, it is extremely muffled IMO. I hinted at that in an earlier post but it took me a while to get the courage to really try this.
post #186 of 187 Old 11-29-2013, 04:44 PM

Hi all,
Been about a year since any activity here, but I have a question for fellow Slimstage owners.

I'm considering replacing the Slimstage with a Sonos playbar. Any Slimstage owners here have listening experience with the playbar?
My primary reason for looking at the Sonos is connectivity, expansion and streaming. I'm aware that the sonos has only a single optical input, but I will overcome that with a toslink splitter.

I'm looking for some real life sound experience from someone who has in home experience with both the Slimstage and Playbar.

Thanks!
post #187 of 187 Old 12-27-2013, 06:29 PM

Well, I had the chance to demo the Sonos playbar and sub in our living room head to head with the Slimstage. The sonos sounds good, but very processed sound. I was getting hearing fatigue from it. It pairs well with the Sonos sub and creates a good sound field, but lacks the clarity and depth of the Slimstage with the Bravus 8a sub. I love the look and finish quality of the playbar. Not a fan of the sub's look and glossy finish, but it sounded good.

Btw, I cut a 14"x14" section of a dense foam excercise mat and placed it under the Bravus sub. The sound tightened up tremendously. I also switched to wireless connection for the sub and relocated it to where it sounds best.

The bar and sub sound really well integrated at all volume levels. I'm enjoying the Slimstage more than ever. I'm hoping to locate a Slimstage 40 or 50.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl55nx810 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Ready Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page