best soundbar for under $300 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 11-14-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
lookitsrobss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
!?!?! link me !?!?!?

the jvc looks really good but I don't know where to buy it
lookitsrobss is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 11-15-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drfreeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Try Amazon.com or BestBuy.com. Available from both. BB is usually less, but price equals out after sales tax. BB offers the chance to return to a local store should you not be satisfied.

David Freeman
drfreeman60 is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 11-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Member
 
fly911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
fly911 is offline  
post #4 of 20 Old 11-22-2010, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
lookitsrobss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
has anybody heard of any black friday deals on soundbars
lookitsrobss is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 11-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Member
 
chopchop0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsrobss View Post

!?!?! link me !?!?!?

the jvc looks really good but I don't know where to buy it

check J&R either at amazon or their own website. Won't post price here, but it's very nice
chopchop0 is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 11-22-2010, 05:13 PM
Member
 
chopchop0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsrobss View Post

has anybody heard of any black friday deals on soundbars

The JVC TH-BA1 is on sale at J&R. Not a BF sale, but still a pretty good price considering what other have paid and its MSRP.
chopchop0 is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 11-22-2010, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
lookitsrobss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post

The JVC TH-BA1 is on sale at J&R. Not a BF sale, but still a pretty good price considering what other have paid and its MSRP.

ok very nice, one question though

its not exactly listed as the ba1, its listed as "JVC 4.1 Ch. Soundbar Total 220W". Are they the same?
lookitsrobss is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 11-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Member
 
chopchop0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsrobss View Post

ok very nice, one question though

its not exactly listed as the ba1, its listed as "JVC 4.1 Ch. Soundbar Total 220W". Are they the same?

yep that's the one
chopchop0 is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 11-22-2010, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
lookitsrobss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post

yep that's the one

sweet THANKS A LOT slick deal... its listed on amazon for 275

total came out to be 195 which is about 80 bucks saved, thanks man

I can't wait for it to come! This Friday im getting a ps3 and I just ordered avatar special edition. Friday night will be epic!
lookitsrobss is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 11-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Member
 
chopchop0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsrobss View Post

sweet THANKS A LOT slick deal... its listed on amazon for 275

total came out to be 195 which is about 80 bucks saved, thanks man

I can't wait for it to come! This Friday im getting a ps3 and I just ordered avatar special edition. Friday night will be epic!

Um, I think you may have ordered the wrong one, because the one you ordered doesn't come with a subwoofer (at least when I googled the one I think you found at J&R)

I know you're not supposed to talk price here, but it's on sale for $229.99 at J&R, not <$200. I googled what you wrote originally and it showed up everywhere as just the soundbar alone.

Cancel it and order the "JVC TH-BA1" and make sure it includes the sub, if you want the package that includes a sub with the soundbar.
chopchop0 is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 11-23-2010, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
lookitsrobss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post

Um, I think you may have ordered the wrong one, because the one you ordered doesn't come with a subwoofer (at least when I googled the one I think you found at J&R)

I know you're not supposed to talk price here, but it's on sale for $229.99 at J&R, not <$200. I googled what you wrote originally and it showed up everywhere as just the soundbar alone.

Cancel it and order the "JVC TH-BA1" and make sure it includes the sub, if you want the package that includes a sub with the soundbar.


Well I canceled it just in case.

http://www.jr.com/jvc/pe/JVC_THBA10/#productTabDetails

that is what I ordered.... I think its right because it even says jvc thba1 on the url.....
lookitsrobss is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 11-23-2010, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
lookitsrobss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post

Um, I think you may have ordered the wrong one, because the one you ordered doesn't come with a subwoofer (at least when I googled the one I think you found at J&R)

I know you're not supposed to talk price here, but it's on sale for $229.99 at J&R, not <$200. I googled what you wrote originally and it showed up everywhere as just the soundbar alone.

Cancel it and order the "JVC TH-BA1" and make sure it includes the sub, if you want the package that includes a sub with the soundbar.

just pm me the link cause I can't find it
lookitsrobss is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 11-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Member
 
chopchop0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsrobss View Post

Well I canceled it just in case.

http://www.jr.com/jvc/pe/JVC_THBA10/#productTabDetails

that is what I ordered.... I think its right because it even says jvc thba1 on the url.....

I think J&R stopped selling the one with the subwoofer. If you google the one you were going to order, it's actually the JVC THBA10, not the JVC THBA1.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they are out of stock now because the amazon link to J&R is gone now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
chopchop0 is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 11-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Member
 
reb41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsrobss View Post

!?!?! link me !?!?!?

the jvc looks really good but I don't know where to buy it

Cnet asked that question long before you did. Click HERE to see what they say.
reb41 is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 11-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Member
 
chopchop0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by reb41 View Post

Cnet asked that question long before you did. Click HERE to see what they say.

Sony definitely has the advantage of HDMI, but in terms of overall sound quality, a few people here have vouched for the JVC over that one.

If HDMI is an absolute necessity, then go with the sony.
chopchop0 is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 11-23-2010, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
lookitsrobss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post

Sony definitely has the advantage of HDMI, but in terms of overall sound quality, a few people here have vouched for the JVC over that one.

If HDMI is an absolute necessity, then go with the sony.

IM SO CONFUSED... a lot of people say the ct 150 is very solid but a lot of people also say that the jvc is solid

I think i might just buy the ct150 because amazon rocks with shipping
lookitsrobss is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 11-24-2010, 07:00 AM
Member
 
reb41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm buying the CT150 to go with my Samsung UN55C7000. HDMI is a must for me and my configuration doesn't require a wireless sub. From what I've read I think the Sony will provide good enough sound for me. TV audio is currently coming from the tv speakers so this will obviously be a huge improvement but I'll report back with impressions.
reb41 is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 11-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Member
 
chopchop0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by reb41 View Post

I'm buying the CT150 to go with my Samsung UN55C7000. HDMI is a must for me and my configuration doesn't require a wireless sub. From what I've read I think the Sony will provide good enough sound for me. TV audio is currently coming from the tv speakers so this will obviously be a huge improvement but I'll report back with impressions.

I will too. Getting the JVC TH-BA1 and hoping my TV optical outputs 5.1 like it is supposed to.
chopchop0 is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 11-24-2010, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drfreeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post

I will too. Getting the JVC TH-BA1 and hoping my TV optical outputs 5.1 like it is supposed to.

All TV's put out 5.1 for OTA and content that is non-copy protected. Almost all games, DVD's, and Blu-Rays are copy protected. This means that you will only occassionally get 5.1 from those sources if connected to your TV via HDMI and then your TV to the soundbar via optical. To always get 5.1 from Blu-Ray or games, you need to go optical direct from the source to the soundbar.

David Freeman
drfreeman60 is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 11-25-2010, 05:40 AM
Member
 
chopchop0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

All TV's put out 5.1 for OTA and content that is non-copy protected. Almost all games, DVD's, and Blu-Rays are copy protected. This means that you will only occassionally get 5.1 from those sources if connected to your TV via HDMI and then your TV to the soundbar via optical. To always get 5.1 from Blu-Ray or games, you need to go optical direct from the source to the soundbar.

My HTPC only has HDMI out. I unfortunately have to use the optical out from my TV for simplicity to keep the 2 devices plugged in via HDMI into my TV. Do you think my ears will be able to tell the difference if I end up getting 2.1 sound instead of 5.1 sound from the JVC?
chopchop0 is offline  
Reply Soundbars



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off