JVC BA1 vs Sony CT-350,,, my personal at home Shoot Out !!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 11-26-2010, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok,, so I had to do it,,,,, I have my JVC BA1 and love it but I kept wondering how the Sony CT-350 compared (I already owned the CT-150 in the past).

Anyhow,, this review aint going to be to exciting,,,,,, the winner was/is,,,,,, to be honest, Im not sure,,,, they both sound great and so close I cant really pick a winner.

One of the main things I look for in a soundbar is the faux surround effect and both of these bars to a really nice job with filling the room with a big room filling sound,, if I had to pick I "guess" I would say the CT-350 puts out a bigger more room filling sound.

I recently moved into a new condo and the living room is made for a soundbar, reflecting walls on each side and a back wall,,,, so my room is the perfect room shape and size for any soundbar (one of the reasons I rented the condo).

Anyhow,, I thought I would mention that as its important to have a good listening room when using a soundbar.

Both the JVC and the CT-350 sounded very good tone wise and both subs performed very well.

As far as which one I am going to leave set up,,,, the CT-350 as I really need the HDMI inputs,,, I just bought a new 65" Panasonic plasma and for my set-up the HDMI's work better for me than the optical's of the JVC.

How long will I keep the Sony,,,, I will keep it until the new Yamaha YSP2200 come's out,,, thats the one Im thinkin is going to be "the" bar,,, heres the link,, http://www.whathifi.com/news/Yamaha-...nd-3D-support/

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 44 Old 11-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Member
 
johnlaw12002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
useful info thank you. was also wondering if anyone out there could compare the sony 350 to the polk audio surroundbar 6000.
johnlaw12002 is offline  
post #3 of 44 Old 11-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Member
 
mogambokhushhua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Davyo,

from a surround sound stand point do you think vht 510 is better? (leaving aside the fact that there are manufacturing problems with it).
I still havent been able to make up my mind with regards to whether i should get a Sony or the vht510

one major pro of the Sony is that i have all sony Devices, TV, PS3 so it would mesh well.

--Mogambo
mogambokhushhua is offline  
post #4 of 44 Old 11-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Member
 
jakkim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You beat me to review as I have both systems coming soon...purchased them last week.

I went to a local Ultimate Electronics to check out the systems in person and I'm really leaning toward the Sony myself. I really like that the soundbar just looks like a speaker and doesn't have anything distracting going on for a nice clean look. Also, I'm going to pair this with my new Pioneer 101FD and really like the built in HDMI connectivity. If I went with the JVC I would have to get multiple inputs on the TV calibrated which will significantly increase the price of the calibration rather than just having one input done.

Keep us posted as you get more time in with both systems.

Also, I posted this in the Sony thread but AFTER purchasing my CT350 I found this online store called Provantage selling them for $250 shipped which is significantly less than what I paid. I don't know anything about the company, have never used them as I bought mine through Amazon, but they have almost 2,000 positive reviews and their price is unbeatable...they have the 150 for under $200 shipped too.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCoQ8wIwAA#

Update: I just checked the link and the company had sold out of all CT350 at their $250 price point. They are now back as special order but now the price is $300. It's still a good deal but not $100 cheaper than all other places like it was before...
jakkim is offline  
post #5 of 44 Old 11-26-2010, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogambokhushhua View Post
Davyo,

from a surround sound stand point do you think vht 510 is better? (leaving aside the fact that there are manufacturing problems with it).
I still havent been able to make up my mind with regards to whether i should get a Sony or the vht510

one major pro of the Sony is that i have all sony Devices, TV, PS3 so it would mesh well.

--Mogambo
Yes, the Vizio does do a better surround as it should as it has rear/side speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkim View Post
You beat me to review as I have both systems coming soon...purchased them last week.

Keep us posted as you get more time in with both systems.
Yep,, I had read that you had both on order,, matter of fact when I read your post it kinda was the kick in the ass I needed to go get the CT-350.

I will be very interested to read your thoughts on these two bars to hear your take on them.

When are they getting delivered ???

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #6 of 44 Old 11-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Senior Member
 
nenito2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Africa
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
ok davyo.....first you settle on the CT150 and say that you keep it for life....than you say the vizio 510 is the best bar around and you will keep it...than you say that the JVC was the one you keep coz it sounds better...than you go out and get the CT350 and say..it's the winner??????????
my guess??? YOU WILL never be able to choose one
BUT there is something extremely important you did not mention about the 350:

HOW DOES IT COMPARE to the 150 (if ya remember that is...)


from your comments the 150 didn't match the jvc at all...and this new bar does; feedback needed
nenito2k is offline  
post #7 of 44 Old 11-27-2010, 07:36 AM
Member
 
chopchop0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like the CT-350 is significantly more expensive than the BA1. The CT-150 seems to be more in line price-wise with the JVC.
chopchop0 is offline  
post #8 of 44 Old 11-27-2010, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k View Post
ok davyo.....first you settle on the CT150 and say that you keep it for life....than you say the vizio 510 is the best bar around and you will keep it...than you say that the JVC was the one you keep coz it sounds better...than you go out and get the CT350 and say..it's the winner??????????
my guess??? YOU WILL never be able to choose one
BUT there is something extremely important you did not mention about the 350:

HOW DOES IT COMPARE to the 150 (if ya remember that is...)


from your comments the 150 didn't match the jvc at all...and this new bar does; feedback needed
Yes,,, I do have a soundbar purchasing sickness.

I will try and fix the confussion,,,,,, yes,,, the Vizio 510 is still my favorite as far as a surround sound and I would still have it if not for the LED's going out and Vizio CS being such BS'ers when I asked them about the LED issue's,,,, Im willing to pack up a few soundbars to exchange them for a problem free one but I dont want to make a habbit of exchanging 510's,,,,, so I returned the 510 for good.

Got the Sony 150 a while back ago and yes, I was quite happy with it but I always wondered if I was missing something by not getting the 350.

Some reasons I went thru a few soundbars in the last few months,,, I was moving into a new condo,, doing a threater room and installing a projector, in the end I got rid of the projector and replaced it with the 65" Panasonic plasma,,, anyhow, Im saying all this beause my set-up/installation needs changed depending on if I was going to be using a projector or a plasma,,(soundbar placement, HDMI switching and other reasons),,,, Im making a long story short,,, or tring too.

Also,,, what else has changed is moving into the new condo,, since soundbars are very dependant on room shape and size, each soundbar I tried out recently is going to react differently (to some degree), in my new place, other than it did in the place I just moved from,,, with that being said I was curious how a Sony CT would sound in my new place.

Since I had already had, and liked very much, the CT-150 I decided to get the 350 instead of another 150,,,,, as far as how they compare,,,, I honestly cant really say ,, the 150 I had in my old place and not in the new condo I just moved into,,, and going by memory would be unfair,,, the only way I would want to offer an opinion is if I had the 150 and the 350 set up at the same time side by side.

As I have said in the past,,, if you need the HDMI switching go with the Sony CT's, if you dont need HDMI go with the JVC,,,,,,, and as I said in my compaison of the JVC and the CT350,,,, its pretty much a draw,,, its a tough call to say which bar sounds the best when I did my side by side in the new condo a few days ago.

In the end though,,,, what Im more interested in is the soon to be released Yamaha YSP-2200,,, having owned YSP's in the past I know what they can sound like when properly set up in the right shaped room,,, with the new YSP they have made some changes that are things that I hated about the the current YSP's,,,, it looks like the new YSP-2200 wont have the confussing menus, the cluttered remote and some of the other things I disliked.

Anyhow,, I hope that clears up some of the connfusion.

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #9 of 44 Old 11-27-2010, 08:26 AM
Senior Member
 
nenito2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Africa
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
thanx davyo for this, in the end ct150 or 350 no one knows really (aside from the HTR review)...and probably no one will ever know...
nenito2k is offline  
post #10 of 44 Old 11-27-2010, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k View Post
thanx davyo for this, in the end ct150 or 350 no one knows really (aside from the HTR review)...and probably no one will ever know...
One thing that bothers me is was the extra money I spent on the 350 worth it,,,with the new place I moved into would the 150 have sounded just as good as the 350 I just purchased,,, did I need to spend the extra money or not,,,, that does bother me a bit.

That review "claimed" the 350 sounded better than the 150, but would I have heard a difference in my room set-up.

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #11 of 44 Old 11-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Senior Member
 
nenito2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Africa
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
davyo just to make you feel better that review is the only place where the 2 bars were compared!!! from my lecture it seems clear that the CT150 FALLS short! the 350 is better and they made it CLEAR!! its not an impression they have: mids are better and they stated the 150 sounded shallow in comparison.
So it does not matter where the bar is placed, the 150 is inferior in terms of sound quality.....but in is still good
nenito2k is offline  
post #12 of 44 Old 11-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Member
 
xgeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@Davyo

heres a japanese review of ysp - 2200
http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/551/551344/index-3.html
xgeo is offline  
post #13 of 44 Old 11-27-2010, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgeo View Post

@Davyo

heres a japanese review of ysp - 2200
http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/551/551344/index-3.html

Dammm,,,,, I knew I forgot something I was suppose to last week,,,, I was suppose to learn how to read and speak Japanese last Tuesday.

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #14 of 44 Old 11-27-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k View Post

davyo just to make you feel better that review is the only place where the 2 bars were compared!!! from my lecture it seems clear that the CT150 FALLS short! the 350 is better and they made it CLEAR!! its not an impression they have: mids are better and they stated the 150 sounded shallow in comparison.
So it does not matter where the bar is placed, the 150 is inferior in terms of sound quality.....but in is still good

Ok Nenito,,,, you made me feel better about spending the extra money,,,, I had forgot about those remarks made in the CT150 vs the CT-350 review.

Thank you.

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #15 of 44 Old 11-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Member
 
jakkim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Yes, the Vizio does do a better surround as it should as it has rear/side speakers.



Yep,, I had read that you had both on order,, matter of fact when I read your post it kinda was the kick in the ass I needed to go get the CT-350.

I will be very interested to read your thoughts on these two bars to hear your take on them.

When are they getting delivered ???

Cheers
Davyo

Both bars should be here this coming week, however like I mentioned I'm already leaning towards the 350 because of the connectivity and the reduced cost of calibrating my TV.
jakkim is offline  
post #16 of 44 Old 11-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Member
 
xgeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Dammm,,,,, I knew I forgot something I was suppose to last week,,,, I was suppose to learn how to read and speak Japanese last Tuesday.

Cheers
Davyo

lol or use google translate
xgeo is offline  
post #17 of 44 Old 11-28-2010, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok,,, a soundbar up-date (for those of you keeping track)

I spent some time today doing more side by side testing of the JVC BA1 and the Sony CT-350,,,, played a bunch of my favorite reference BluRays (new Star Trek, Avatar, Iron Man 1, and a few others).

Im ready to anounce a clear winner,,,, drum roll please,,,,,, the JVC.

I know in my first review I said it was almost to close to call and that is still kinda true,, but after really sitting down and spending more time doing the side by side listening the JVC beat out the Sony.

Things the JVC does better,,,,, a better surround sound, more user friendly, bigger LED's that can be seen,,, and here is a biggie for me, the DRC (night listening mode) works far better on the JVC than on the CT-350,,, and thats important to me as I live in a condo and share a common wall with a neighbor and do most of my movie watching late at night.

Matter of fact the JVC really blew the Sony away as far as the DRC mode,, with the Sony in night mode the sound was just a bit muffled overall,,, with the JVC in night mode everything is still there, the surround, the punch and most importanly the dialog comes through just a tad better while still maintaining a very impressive surround effect.

Things the Sony does better,, HDMI inputs.

So there ya have it,,,, the JVC wins again.

My soundbar plans as of now,,, returning the CT-350, and waiting for the release of the new Yamaha YSP-2200 and the release of the new JVC replacement/upgrade to the BA1.

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #18 of 44 Old 11-29-2010, 08:13 AM
Newbie
 
chreese2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Bravia tv with the Steady Sound option. When i had the CT-500 sound bar hooked up, it disabled the steady sound feature. Does anyone know if you use the Steady Sound feature after hooking up the CT-350?
chreese2 is offline  
post #19 of 44 Old 11-29-2010, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chreese2 View Post

I have a Bravia tv with the Steady Sound option. When i had the CT-500 sound bar hooked up, it disabled the steady sound feature. Does anyone know if you use the Steady Sound feature after hooking up the CT-350?



You would have much better luck getting answer to your question by posting it in the correct thread,,, here is the link.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1236597

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #20 of 44 Old 11-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Newbie
 
chreese2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

You would have much better luck getting answer to your question by posting it in the correct thread,,, here is the link.

Cheers
Davyo

Yeah I already tried it there and got no response.
chreese2 is offline  
post #21 of 44 Old 11-29-2010, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drfreeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Ok,,, a soundbar up-date (for those of you keeping track)

I spent some time today doing more side by side testing of the JVC BA1 and the Sony CT-350,,,, played a bunch of my favorite reference BluRays (new Star Trek, Avatar, Iron Man 1, and a few others).

Im ready to anounce a clear winner,,,, drum roll please,,,,,, the JVC.

I know in my first review I said it was almost to close to call and that is still kinda true,, but after really sitting down and spending more time doing the side by side listening the JVC beat out the Sony.

Things the JVC does better,,,,, a better surround sound, more user friendly, bigger LED's that can be seen,,, and here is a biggie for me, the DRC (night listening mode) works far better on the JVC than on the CT-350,,, and thats important to me as I live in a condo and share a common wall with a neighbor and do most of my movie watching late at night.

Matter of fact the JVC really blew the Sony away as far as the DRC mode,, with the Sony in night mode the sound was just a bit muffled overall,,, with the JVC in night mode everything is still there, the surround, the punch and most importanly the dialog comes through just a tad better while still maintaining a very impressive surround effect.

Things the Sony does better,, HDMI inputs.

So there ya have it,,,, the JVC wins again.

My soundbar plans as of now,,, returning the CT-350, and waiting for the release of the new Yamaha YSP-2200 and the release of the new JVC replacement/upgrade to the BA1.

Cheers
Davyo

You just about had me convinced to purchase the 350 and do a test myself. Based on your final results, plus what I heard in the home of a friend that purchased the 350, I guess I will remain loyal to the JVC for another twelve or eighteen months. I just don't have your energy to unpack, listen, re-pack, return and then start all over again. Your energy is greatly appreciated, at least by me.

By the way, send some updates on your 65" plasma. I recommended the S series 65" to a lady I work with and went over about a month ago to set the unit and a Blu-Ray player up for she and her husband. I never could get the greens to behave correctly, but the overall picture is extremely good. Plus, you gotta believe that everything looks better at 65".

She is the office admin and none of the guys better try to keep up with her. Drives both a Hemi Chrysler and an '06 Covette. Rides a big Harley (sorry, I know nothing about motorcycles as my last one was a Honda 50 in 1965). Now she has the biggest television.

David Freeman
drfreeman60 is offline  
post #22 of 44 Old 11-29-2010, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

You just about had me convinced to purchase the 350 and do a test myself. Based on your final results, plus what I heard in the home of a friend that purchased the 350, I guess I will remain loyal to the JVC for another twelve or eighteen months. I just don't have your energy to unpack, listen, re-pack, return and then start all over again. Your energy is greatly appreciated, at least by me.

By the way, send some updates on your 65" plasma. I recommended the S series 65" to a lady I work with and went over about a month ago to set the unit and a Blu-Ray player up for she and her husband. I never could get the greens to behave correctly, but the overall picture is extremely good. Plus, you gotta believe that everything looks better at 65".

She is the office admin and none of the guys better try to keep up with her. Drives both a Hemi Chrysler and an '06 Covette. Rides a big Harley (sorry, I know nothing about motorcycles as my last one was a Honda 50 in 1965). Now she has the biggest television.

Hey Doc,,,, ya,, the JVC has beat out every soundbar I have had !!!!!

If someone need's the HDMI switching then yes, by all means get a Sony CT,, but in reality,, the best soundbar out there is the JVC,,,,, too bad more people dont know about the JVC or have heard it,,, they are really missing out on an amazing soundbar !!!!

And yes,,, packing up all these boxs and tring out all these bars is kind of a pain in the ass,, but a bit fun at the same time.

Next up,, will be the YSP-2200.

As far as my new 65" Panasonic S2 plasma,,,, Im still loving it,,, it has a killer picture,,, it has been a bit of an adjustment going from LED/LCD to plasma but I think it will be Ok.

I highly recomend the 65" S2 Panasonic plasma !!!!

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #23 of 44 Old 11-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
klas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

the best soundbar out there is the JVC

Cheers
Davyo

You mean the best budget sound bar. Design wise it's not really hot and has very limited connections. Hopefully they'll do better with next rev.

Mac Mini HTPC (Win7)
klas is offline  
post #24 of 44 Old 12-01-2010, 05:47 AM
Member
 
chopchop0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post

You mean the best budget sound bar. Design wise it's not really hot and has very limited connections. Hopefully they'll do better with next rev.

But man that sound quality is good.
chopchop0 is offline  
post #25 of 44 Old 12-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Member
 
Petch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Near Buffalo, NY
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Hey Doc,,,, ya,, the JVC has beat out every soundbar I have had !!!!!

If someone need's the HDMI switching then yes, by all means get a Sony CT,, but in reality,, the best soundbar out there is the JVC,,,,, too bad more people dont know about the JVC or have heard it,,, they are really missing out on an amazing soundbar !!!!

And yes,,, packing up all these boxs and tring out all these bars is kind of a pain in the ass,, but a bit fun at the same time.

Next up,, will be the YSP-2200.

As far as my new 65" Panasonic S2 plasma,,,, Im still loving it,,, it has a killer picture,,, it has been a bit of an adjustment going from LED/LCD to plasma but I think it will be Ok.

I highly recomend the 65" S2 Panasonic plasma !!!!

Cheers
Davyo

We have a similar set up except I have size envy. I that the s2 42 (it's all that would fit). I absolutely love the picture. It is my first plasma but will not be my last.
Petch is offline  
post #26 of 44 Old 12-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Member
 
Petch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Near Buffalo, NY
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post

You mean the best budget sound bar. Design wise it's not really hot and has very limited connections. Hopefully they'll do better with next rev.

I don't know man, he has compared the JVC to just about everything out there and he keeps coming back to it. To be fair Davyo does get a new bar declare it better than retracts the statement a few days later. Well he has done that twice anyway.
Petch is offline  
post #27 of 44 Old 12-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
klas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, he did indeed try every budget one. Time to up the ante and try expensive ones that big boys are getting

Mac Mini HTPC (Win7)
klas is offline  
post #28 of 44 Old 12-02-2010, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petch View Post
I don't know man, he has compared the JVC to just about everything out there and he keeps coming back to it. To be fair Davyo does get a new bar declare it better than retracts the statement a few days later. Well he has done that twice anyway.
Yes, I have changed my opinion a few times on some bars I have purchased but I have always felt that if I had a change of opinion I should post it and be honest about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
Yes, he did indeed try every budget one. Time to up the ante and try expensive ones that big boys are getting
Actually you have it backwards,,,

I used to own and only buy the more expensive soundbars,,, I have owned just about every Yamaha YSP ever made,, starting with the very first YSP-1 (which cost a huge chunk of money back in the day when it first came out) some of the other YSP's I recall owning were the YSP-500, YSP-800, YSP-900, YSP-1100 and the YSP-4000 and I think I also had a YSP-3000 (Im pretty sure I have most of the model numbers correct,, but there's been so many YSP's I have owned I cant keep track).

And most of the YSP's I purchased I got the day they came out,, meaning I paid full MSRP for them as they had not even been out long enough to be discounted yet.

Anyhow, I went from buying the "big boy" soundbars to buying the budget soundbars as I got burnt out out spending way to much money.

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #29 of 44 Old 12-03-2010, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
drfreeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
And let me add that I have owned only one of the big Yamahas but it left me sorely disappointed due to lack of dynamics, poor reproduction of voices and no headroom. I have heard several newer revisions of the Yamaha including the 4100 in a relative's home and Yamaha still does not get it. Their units are great if you are looking for all of their strange soundstage settings, but the overall sound never measured up to the $98 Vizio.

I have also heard the two Def Tech soundbars. Slightly more expensive than most of the units talked about on these forums and do require their own amplification chain. Very impressed and if was not for the overall footprint, would consider one in the future. Currently the JVC does a magnificent job.

David Freeman
drfreeman60 is offline  
post #30 of 44 Old 12-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Senior Member
 
mobilejunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo

Hey Doc,,,, ya,, the JVC has beat out every soundbar I have had !!!!!

If someone need's the HDMI switching then yes, by all means get a Sony CT,, but in reality,, the best soundbar out there is the JVC,,,,, too bad more people dont know about the JVC or have heard it,,, they are really missing out on an amazing soundbar !!!!

And yes,,, packing up all these boxs and tring out all these bars is kind of a pain in the ass,, but a bit fun at the same time.

Next up,, will be the YSP-2200.

As far as my new 65" Panasonic S2 plasma,,,, Im still loving it,,, it has a killer picture,,, it has been a bit of an adjustment going from LED/LCD to plasma but I think it will be Ok.

I highly recomend the 65" S2 Panasonic plasma !!!!

Cheers
Davyo
Not being a smart ass, this is a serious question.

I know when u test the ba1, you will hook the component straight into the soundbar via optical rather than going through the tv first to get the best sound possible. So I get the things like night mode being better executed by jvc but what I don't get is how a blu ray with hd sound sounds better on a bar getting only 5.1 through toslink, where the Sony is giving true hd through hdmi.

Can u explain?
mobilejunkie is offline  
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off