post #331 of 590 Old 03-03-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwhatur View Post

Thanks, peter248. I did not even consider the vibration concern point, great point will keep that in mind. And thank you drfreeman60, the instructions only show the placement of the subwoofer such as under the t.v.. So you are suggesting set it up and then test different locations by trial and error?

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest to start trial and error. Although, you never know, you may find an ideal solution. I was thinking that some woofers must be placed horizontally due to a downward firing driver or passive radiator. Others require being placed next to a wall due to an emphasis curve with the amplification chain. Too many variations to list. Just a good idea to look at the owner's manual to see if there are any specific recommendations. Placement recommendations more typically involve low frequency drivers than those handling the upper frequencies.

David Freeman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 590 Old 03-07-2011, 07:27 AM

Liked: 10
Very good point Drfreeman I have had a chance to try different locations and did hear a difference between them. Thanks for the suggestion.
post #333 of 590 Old 03-07-2011, 09:13 AM

Is the included sub on the 2200 wireless? I want to put it behind/beside my couch.

Thanks
post #334 of 590 Old 03-07-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobgma View Post

Is the included sub on the 2200 wireless? I want to put it behind/beside my couch.

Thanks

Nope it is wired (the amp is in the soundbar)
post #335 of 590 Old 03-07-2011, 11:44 AM

Looks like I will have to go 4100 than + sub then right?
post #336 of 590 Old 03-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobgma View Post

Looks like I will have to go 4100 than + sub then right?

If you insist on wireless then the YSP2200 isn't for you.

Can't you just run the cable along the wall or so. As you are living in an NYC appartment you sofa should be far away from the TC to begin with

The Sub is not big and might fit into your TV stand or right next to it (mine fit underneath the stand).
post #337 of 590 Old 03-13-2011, 07:28 AM

Did any one compare the ysp 2200 to the bose cinemate series II ? yahama seems to do good overall (not so good for music) but i didnt get that mid feel from it, as compare to the bose..For example in the bose demo when they do the chime effect?
post #338 of 590 Old 03-14-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerm3 View Post

Did any one compare the ysp 2200 to the bose cinemate series II ? yahama seems to do good overall (not so good for music) but i didnt get that mid feel from it, as compare to the bose..For example in the bose demo when they do the chime effect?

I have only heard the Bose in a store environment where it sounded absolutely horrible. Very harsh high end and absolutely no bass below the mid-bass region. I was unaware there was a special demo. Viewed and listened to a few scenes from The Dark Knight and a couple of tracks from an old jazz CD along with one track apiece from Wagner and Beethoven. Besides being extremely overpriced for the components you receive, I don't believe I could get used to Bose's idea of audio. Could have been the store environment. I have had a similar audition in a different store in more of a home theater type environment of the YSP-2200 and found no issues with it. Was quite impressed as my previous two experiences with Yamaha YSP units had left me cold.

I am not necessarily a Bose hater, just have found very few of their high priced systems very listenable for long periods of time.

David Freeman
post #339 of 590 Old 03-14-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Hello,

I used to have the Bose 321 and changed it for an YSP 2200. I can say the YSP is 10 times better than the BOSE 321. I don't know if the cinemate series II got better. But in my opinion there's no comparison.
I had a couple of friends the other day and they listened to 127 hours in ysp 2200 and they were like "wow, this sounds like you're in the theater", and i've never had that reaction with the bose 321.

Yesterday I listened to Dracula , and it was like watching it at the movie theater for the first time. I fell in love again with the Coppola movie despite, the ahem ahem ahem "acting" by Keanu and Hopkins.

Also, i've read this in many forums and my experience was the same: the demo in a bose store sounds like heaven. but do not try it at home. i'm not sure if they have different speakers, different demo, but it doesn't sound like that at home
post #340 of 590 Old 03-15-2011, 07:03 AM

Has anyone used the YSP2200 with a tv that has the Samsung "spider" type legs such as the new Samsung D8000? I am in the process of buying a new TV and want to make sure the YSP2200 will fit over the stand and under the panel as it was designed to do. Thanks!
post #341 of 590 Old 03-15-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdac1975 View Post

Has anyone used the YSP2200 with a tv that has the Samsung "spider" type legs such as the new Samsung D8000? I am in the process of buying a new TV and want to make sure the YSP2200 will fit over the stand and under the panel as it was designed to do. Thanks!

I have the new 3D Samsung LED 55" UN55C7000 with those "legs" and right now - at least temporarily - i have it on a stand until I can mount it permanently on the wall. The 2200 does not block the screen at all. It still sits about 1/4 to 1/2" below the Samsung logo. I do have it sitting slightly in front of the legs because I have all the HDMI ports in use so there's a lot of wiring behind it, but it would still sit flush with the TV with legs underneath if you really wanted. The legs are adjustable too btw. I did not need to adjust mine. The 2200 sounds amazing as well. Best purchase in a long while.
post #342 of 590 Old 03-15-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcn72 View Post

I have the new 3D Samsung LED 55" UN55C7000 with those "legs" and right now - at least temporarily - i have it on a stand until I can mount it permanently on the wall. The 2200 does not block the screen at all. It still sits about 1/4 to 1/2" below the Samsung logo. I do have it sitting slightly in front of the legs because I have all the HDMI ports in use so there's a lot of wiring behind it, but it would still sit flush with the TV with legs underneath if you really wanted. The legs are adjustable too btw. I did not need to adjust mine. The 2200 sounds amazing as well. Best purchase in a long while.

Thanks very much for the response. Just to clarify, it will fit over the legs but under the panel? My biggest concern was that you couldn't raise the legs on the YSP enough to clear the legs of the TV. Thanks again!
post #343 of 590 Old 03-15-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdac1975 View Post

Thanks very much for the response. Just to clarify, it will fit over the legs but under the panel? My biggest concern was that you couldn't raise the legs on the YSP enough to clear the legs of the TV. Thanks again!

The TV legs at that their widest point are just about as wide as the opening between the 2200's legs. But when you push the bar flush against the TV panel it will clear the TV's legs. You may just need to fiddle around with the positioning of the wiring into the bar because again with all that spaghetti back there it gets a little tight, but it's still doable.
post #344 of 590 Old 03-18-2011, 10:35 PM

Is it safe to place a ps3 on a shelf above the sub for the ysp 2200. Will the magnetic field affect the harddrive in the ps3?
post #345 of 590 Old 03-23-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Is it safe to place a ps3 on a shelf above the sub for the ysp 2200. Will the magnetic field affect the harddrive in the ps3?
anyone?
post #346 of 590 Old 03-24-2011, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
my guess would be no, as no one has ever mentioned interferences...
post #347 of 590 Old 03-24-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If the shielding is good enough to where it does not bother your television, it should not bother a hard drive or any other device.

David Freeman
post #348 of 590 Old 03-24-2011, 11:09 PM

I just bought a ysp 2200 and I was wondering if anyone had any success adding a subwoofer to this system. How would I connect it. My room is pretty large and I just need ore punch. Can someone recommend a inexpensive 300-400 subwoofer that would match.
post #349 of 590 Old 03-25-2011, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneman View Post

I just bought a ysp 2200 and I was wondering if anyone had any success adding a subwoofer to this system. How would I connect it. My room is pretty large and I just need ore punch. Can someone recommend a inexpensive 300-400 subwoofer that would match.

it comes with a subwoofer, are you looking to add a 2nd?
post #350 of 590 Old 03-25-2011, 08:01 AM

Yes I need a second my room is too big for the one supplied.
post #351 of 590 Old 03-26-2011, 12:44 AM

drfreeman hello again, long time no see!
i just read another post where you stated you tought the jvc soundbar was almost as good if not at the same level than the YSP...
if you also stated the CT150/350 were almost as good as the JVC...does that mean that the sony's are almost at the same level as the ysp 2200??? So if one can get them..he won't be missing too much by avoiding the expensive yamaha ??
post #352 of 590 Old 03-26-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello Nenito

Since I have not had an opportunity to audition side by side as DavyO my impressions may not be as accurate.

The Yamaha was at a specialty audio store with a dedicated listening room much like a large living room. It had good side walls, some sound deadening materials in strategic location, but not overdone. I did get to compare it to some B&W and KEF speakers where it was totally blown away, but those were speakers aimed at a totally different market than any soundbar.

Anyway, for comparison, let's give the YSP-2200 a rating of 100 on a scale of 100. This is not a complete endorsement or me believing this is the best item out there, just what I believe is the best of the three.

The YSP has extremely good inner detail (this is always my number one criteria). It outshines any other Yamaha audio device I have had experience with. Surround effects were very good when set at moderate levels. The sound still turns distorted to my ear when you overdo things. This was the opinion of the salesman, store owner, my wife and one other listener. Our settings were more like a 5.1 setup where the rear speakers were to the sides and maybe at a 15 or 20 degree angle in front of the listener. We could simulate sound from the rear, but doing this shifted the phase of the inner speakers so greatly that the more important sound from the front had for lack of a better expression, a sonic haze over everything. Another of my key criteria, dynamics was also very good. This has been my number one complaint about Yamaha YSP's in the past. They did not sound like they were live. This one is much improved in this area. Bottom line, adjusted correctly this is an amazing device for the money Yamaha wants for it.

So we have a baseline scale of 100 with the Yamaha at 100. To compare the JVC, we need to look at its sonic attributes. Very good inner detail. You never feel like you miss anything. Dynamics probably slightly better than the Yamaha. Surround effects not nearly as good. On my JVC, the sound extends past the physical confines of the speaker maybe three to four feet each side. If I attempt to extend the surround field past this, the JVC tends to get a hollow sound on voices and music, not so much on the other video sounds.

So, I give the JVC a score of about 95 on sonic accuracy compared to the Yamaha with dynamics dead even or maybe better. For surround effects, I give it maybe an 80 compared to the Yamaha. Overall, my thoughts would be that the JVC is probably 90% as good as the Yamaha for my situation. If you compare the two at suggested retail, that means paying about 4x for that last 10%. At on-line pricing, the difference is probably 3x in pricing.

The Sony is very close to the JVC. One of my neighbors in a condo identical to mine and his home theater set up similar to mine purchased a CT-150 and I assisted him with setup.

The Sony does a better job with surround. Probably about mid-way between the JVC and Yamaha. Dynamics are good but not quite as live as either of the other units. Detail is probably 90% as good as the JVC. Overall, I would rate the Sony only slightly behind the JVC as the sound is good, just not quite as good as the JVC. If I rated the JVC at 90 or a few points above, I would say the Sony would be in the very high 80's. At that point, it comes down to user preferences and convenience features like HDMI switching to make the final decision.

Hope this helps.

David Freeman
post #353 of 590 Old 03-26-2011, 08:46 AM

thanx freeman for this detailed analysis again....now we are all settled.
BTW you said ysp 2200 is not the best bar....than what is for you THE ultimate one?
post #354 of 590 Old 03-27-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Nenito

When I said "Not the best bar" that was a hypothetical. I have not heard all of the soundbars out there and was using the Yamaha as the best of the bunch.

However, let me jump out on a limb. For all around use, the Yamaha is, I think, the best I have come in contact with. By a very slim margin.

Recent auditions were the B&W which left me flat.

Best overall sound I have heard is still the Definitive Technology soundbars from last year. These would not be a good choice for most people as they are relatively expensive, have no electronics, and no surround. However, they are the only bars I have heard so far that I could live with on a regular basis for serious music listening. I just happen to like my 2-ch plus sub in my sun-room better than the def-techs.

If money were not an issue, I would say jump on the YSP-2200. If it is, or if you would rather spend the other $400-$600 dollars on new Blu-Rays or a better TV, then you will miss very little with either the JVC or Sony. Stay away from the 2011 JVC's. Although I have not heard or seen one, the elimination of the secondary audio channels and sub-woofer seem to be a giant step in the wrong direction.

David Freeman
post #355 of 590 Old 03-31-2011, 08:08 AM

I Just bought my YSP-2200 should be in by next week!!
post #356 of 590 Old 04-02-2011, 06:02 PM

Well I just want to report that after two weeks my YSP 2200 broke.
The sub came with some problems. But after listening to the two new Batmans, every explosion would make my sub literally explode with terrible noise
I watched Black Swan yesterday and it was a disaster. It can't handle the bass.
I took it back today and they were going to fix it,I told them I wanted a refund, I didn't pay for a new product to have such a short time.

In short, I returned to the store where I listened the Bowers & Wilkins, they did a demo again and I was blown away. Who cares about the HD formats? This thing blows the YSP out of the water.

So now I just watched Black Swan and as I thought before I haven't heard some things in movies with my YSP, the truth is even if it's not HD format, the B&W trumped the YSP by a loooooooong shot.

post #357 of 590 Old 04-11-2011, 11:45 AM

Ok, so picked up the YSP-2200 on Friday and proceeded to dismantle my 10 year old archaic surround system on Saturday to hook up the 2200. Have just spent a day with it so far, but so far, for me, it's an absolute keeper.

Here is my experience and my first impressions...........

From the moment you open the box, you can tell the care and quality of what you have purchased is high. I know this is not really relevant, but important to me as it is part of the experience. The contents are packaged extremely well and in a way that makes sense. For everyone that will have it shipped to you (most of us) the unit should be well protected. The only thing I can gripe about here is something I am seeing more and more of, but it bugs me a little......No manual included. I was shocked. The quick setup guide will get you going, and is fairly informative, but ALL of the information you will need after setup is in the manual. It is contained on the DVD disc included, along with sound samples etc.....but come on, this is an expensive unit, please give me a manual. This really did not affect me as I had downloaded the manual on to my ipad a few days ago anyway, but stuff like that bugs me.

Hookup was as you would expect, fairly easy and straight forward, a couple of speaker wires from main unit to sub, four rubber feet to plug on to the sub, depending upon your preferred orientation for standing the sub. The rest is obviously dependent upon your intended hookups. Mine were a couple of HDMI and one Toslink cable. Next, and I wish the quick setup guide OR the manual stated this clearly, is the sound setup. One thing I wish were different is the on screen (TV) display, as it is via an additional (supplied with unit) standard RCA video (yellow) plug. I really wish this OSD could have been through the HDMI already hooked up. This may not be a big deal to everyone, but considering one of the big upsides of a soundbar for me is the elimination of wires, adding one more doesn't thrill me, not to mention having to switch inputs on the TV....... but ESPECIALLY since I have the Samsung 55unc8000 panel. This LED panel is extremely thin, and all inputs except HDMI are handled with special dongle adapters, so I had to pull one of these puppies out to hook up the OSD. To get back to my point.......for those who wonder as I did, and the manual does not clearly state this very well.......you do NOT need the on screen display (on your TV), unless you prefer it...........ALL functions and menus can be manipulated and changed using the display on the bar itself. Once I found this out, off came the dongle and extra video cord and I was back on track.....

The Auto setup is easy, and the instructions and prompts were smooth. I would recommend using the auto setup as your jumping point, see if you are pleased, then proceed to adjust as needed. The very brave can do the initial setup manually, but there is A LOT of information needed to direct the beams properly, so it is worth giving the auto setup feature a shot to do it first, as it is pretty painless. Once the screen prompts, you will be asked to plug the mic into the jack on the FRONT of the bar (thankfully) and hit enter. The MIC is to be placed in the middle of the room about ear listening level. A quick cardboard stand is provided and does what it is supposed to do, hold the mic while the test is performed. Once you hit enter, a 10 second countdown starts and you are asked to leave the room. The room should be as you would have it most of the time and free of debris and/or items that are not permanently fixed in the room. (for me I had to move the just done laundry baskets etc) Once the countdown reaches Zero, the unit begins to bounce test sounds around the room. This (and the additional Volume check) test will last about 2-3 minutes, and viola, you're done.

It is very early and I really want to throw lots of material at this unit, and tweak the settings for a bit......but I can tell you this......for what I was looking for, this is a keeper and I could not be more pleased. The soundstage is quite full. I think someone else in this forum had referred to their experience with this unit as not unlike sitting in a movie theater (Davyo?) and I agree....this is exactly the kind of sound you will experience. You feel like the sound is all around you. Perhaps the finer nuances of a direct behind the head sound is diminished as opposed to a 5.1/ system, but it is indeed an immersive field. I myself seem to be pretty pleased with the settings the auto-setup has given me (I will tweak somewhat and experiment though) as the illusion of the left and right fronts are easily and quickly experienced. The rear left and rights, not so much.....right away. Remember to try various sources before you judge here, as it was not until I put in Iron man 2 into my OPPO BDP-83, that, during more than a few scenes, I could hear the sound coming not so much from behind me, but parallel to me, as if the speakers were directly in line with where I was sitting. (This is one area I might tweak to see if I can "push" them back a little farther.) I was happy to hear this as my room is not a square box of walls as would be optimum. 3 of my walls are pretty good, but my wall on my right concerned me as it is open on the left and right. In other words, there is a "middle" wall that is adorned by open space to my dining room and kitchen, on the left and right. When viewing the settings numbers that Auto setup blessed me with, I can see the values higher on the right speakers, proving the setup test picked this fact up.

I realize with a soundbar this point may be moot, but it does decode the HD formats effortlessly and the quality was as least "perceived" by me as superior. (a red light glows for DD. DTS, but a pleasing blue LED lights up for the HD formats, and it does indeed read "DTS-HD MAST AUDIO" on the screen.

The Sub on the unit might certainly seem puny if you are coming from a powerful high end sub, but it is exactly the complimenting sound I was hoping for and provides enough punch when needed, with room to spare . (love the fact that there is a separate volume +/- control on the remote for the sub).

While I am on the remote, this is one area that, although I am not disappointed, I have to admit, the remote seems a tad flimsy. Considering the money this unit cost (I did get it for just under 60% of MSRP) I can tell you it was not wasted on the build quality of the remote, as it feels light and inexpensive. Having said that, it is clearly marked and easy to navigate, although I would kill for a backlight on it.

The overall volume on this is as good as I hoped and easily provides "theater loudness" easily without distortion. Thr quality of the audio is quite pleasing and the speakers do a decent job at all levels (high, mid, and low) to provide a cinema type experience. I have not tried any music with this system and do not plan on using 2200 in this capacity very much, but I will try and report on it.

Having read through this and other forums on the 2200, here are my thoughts. If you are looking for a complete distinct surround sound experience like 5.1/7.1 etc, then a soundbar is not for you. This is my first soundbar and it is replacing a 5.1 system, so I can tell you, YES, it is not quite the same experience.....BUT.....it is close..... and close enough that I am thrilled. The slight differences I can easily notice are (for me) countered by the fact that I was able to get rid of hundreds of feet of cable, 2 large front speakers, 2 smaller rear channel, one center that was the same size as the 2200, and a massive BLOCK that was my sub. I most of all watch movies, and this put me "in the theater" with its sound and gives me the experience I am looking for. I will take some more time with it before I tear up the receipt, but I have to say it would have to hit me with a major "can't live with that" moment to make me return it.

Let's face it, if a soundbar could do everything a full surround system could (in terms of sound), then EVERYONE would simply own a soundbar (except for those who love massive clutter anyway)....but if you are in need of space, just tired of the mass that an entire system carries, or are just jumping in the home theater arena for the first time, then this bar is a good investment.

I will definitely be tweaking and living with this for awhile and will give an update after a couple of weeks, but I wanted to throw this out there to field any questions that I might be able to help with, an get a foundation for a later report. Will do so in a couple of weeks.

Dan
post #358 of 590 Old 04-11-2011, 05:57 PM

Liked: 11
Danbyx, approximately how large is your listening room? I am concerned about the surround effects in an even more acoustically challenged space. Meaning not even close to four walls. That's one reason so many of us look for a soundbar solution in the first place.

Otherwise, nice thoughtful review, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Much appreciated.
post #359 of 590 Old 04-11-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrope View Post
Danbyx, approximately how large is your listening room? I am concerned about the surround effects in an even more acoustically challenged space. Meaning not even close to four walls. That's one reason so many of us look for a soundbar solution in the first place.
I just picked one up, and I tried it both in a small enclosed room, and a wide open, acoustically challenged space. In the small enclosed room, it sounds great. In the wide room without 4 walls, honestly, it's not that much of an upgrade over the stereo speakers that came with the TV.

Unfortunately, I'm in the situation where my big TV is in that room. I'm now looking for a way to simulate 4 walls with maybe a drape or something similar.
post #360 of 590 Old 04-11-2011, 08:06 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindTimes View Post

I just picked one up, and I tried it both in a small enclosed room, and a wide open, acoustically challenged space. In the small enclosed room, it sounds great. In the wide room without 4 walls, honestly, it's not that much of an upgrade over the stereo speakers that came with the TV.

Thank you BehindTimes, that was my concern. If that's the case the YSP 2200 probably isn't the answer for my family room future upgrade. Might as well go for the cheaper Sony for similar hookup options. Although the Yamaha is prettier.

Hope you find a way to make the 2200 work for you.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page