Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 590 Old 04-12-2011, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrope View Post

Danbyx, approximately how large is your listening room? I am concerned about the surround effects in an even more acoustically challenged space. Meaning not even close to four walls. That's one reason so many of us look for a soundbar solution in the first place.

Otherwise, nice thoughtful review, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Much appreciated.

Hi Scrope,

My room if fairly challenged on one side mostly. The dimensions are about 25 x 15.......BUT, this is not consistent. My left of YSP wall is good, the right wall is open on the left (directly to the right side of TV and YSP) as it open to my dining room, then there is a 4-5 foot wall, that again opens to the kitchen, so if you were facing my TV, turned right 90 degrees, there is a 5 foot open area, then a 5 ft wall, then a 3 foot open area. This is probably why in my review I mentioned that the right "rear" sound is more parallel to me than behind me. I have doubts that I can improve this by manually tweaking, but I will try (as there is no wall to bounce off of). The room dimensions as you know are definitely very important and will impact results dramatically I am sure. I really believe you will still like the quality of the sound, but your results in a very challenged room will be equivalent to an excellent 2.1 set-up, as opposed to 5.1/7.1. If you can buy without worrying about returning, it might be worth a try, but if that is a concern than you may be better off not doing so.

PS......I realize this may not be helpful, but the unit will take advantage of large solid furniture if it is present. In other words, if you have a massive open space (like a basement) but have a wall unit or other solid furniture acting as a room divider, it would be quite effective.....as long as it is solid and not "cushiony" (curtains, cloth, fluffy high back couch etc) ..........Good luck!

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 590 Old 04-12-2011, 12:15 PM

Hey guys,
I just ordered this thing...got it from Vanns.com at a great price with no tax, free shipping and 0% for a year.....and I have a major question. I just bought a un55d7000 Samsung LED and I know it has a refresh rate of 240 Hz. This Yamaha says it has a "Repeatable video signal" for 1080p up to 60Hz.

Now I told this to a dude at BB, but he said that it doesn't matter, that the TV is going to be able to take whatever signal it gets and produce it a 240Hz. My question is, should I be running the sources like PS3 and Satellite receiver directly to the inputs of the TV, and then use the ARC channel on the TV to carry the audio to the ARC channel on the yamaha? Or was the dude at BB right...can I just run my components into the yamaha inputs and then just use the yamaha output to carry the picure to the TV. Just don't want to lose my refresh rate here.

Thanks in advance for the answer.
post #363 of 590 Old 04-12-2011, 12:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossross90 View Post

Hey guys,
I just ordered this thing...got it from Vanns.com at a great price with no tax, free shipping and 0% for a year.....and I have a major question. I just bought a un55d7000 Samsung LED and I know it has a refresh rate of 240 Hz. This Yamaha says it has a "Repeatable video signal" for 1080p up to 60Hz.

Now I told this to a dude at BB, but he said that it doesn't matter, that the TV is going to be able to take whatever signal it gets and produce it a 240Hz. My question is, should I be running the sources like PS3 and Satellite receiver directly to the inputs of the TV, and then use the ARC channel on the TV to carry the audio to the ARC channel on the yamaha? Or was the dude at BB right...can I just run my components into the yamaha inputs and then just use the yamaha output to carry the picure to the TV. Just don't want to lose my refresh rate here.

Best Buy guy was right.
post #364 of 590 Old 04-12-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:

Hey guys,

Bossross,

Yes, l3ftonm3 and the best buy guy are quite correct. Think about your sources, almost all of which are 60hz (except for 24hz playback on Blu-ray etc) The 60hz and 24hz frame rates are optimum for 240hz refresh as they are exact divisibles of 240. (24x10=240, 60x4=240, and thus requiring no pulldown)

By the way, the YSP repeats "up to" 60hz, which allows any 24hz source to send this signal through just fine as well, if you choose to do so. (I have the Sammy 8000 and the YSP and it passes 24hz just fine)

So...no worries.......you are all good.....Enjoy!

Dan
post #365 of 590 Old 04-12-2011, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindTimes View Post

I just picked one up, and I tried it both in a small enclosed room, and a wide open, acoustically challenged space. In the small enclosed room, it sounds great. In the wide room without 4 walls, honestly, it's not that much of an upgrade over the stereo speakers that came with the TV.

Unfortunately, I'm in the situation where my big TV is in that room. I'm now looking for a way to simulate 4 walls with maybe a drape or something similar.

Don't use drapes to simulate a wall. The drape would absorb the sound giving you less of the effect you are seeking.

Remember that bouncing the sound is only one portion of how these soundbars simulate surround. The two primary functions are phase shift and time delay which will be present whether you have walls for bounced sound or not.

David Freeman
post #366 of 590 Old 04-13-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbyx View Post
Bossross,

Yes, l3ftonm3 and the best buy guy are quite correct. Think about your sources, almost all of which are 60hz (except for 24hz playback on Blu-ray etc) The 60hz and 24hz frame rates are optimum for 240hz refresh as they are exact divisibles of 240. (24x10=240, 60x4=240, and thus requiring no pulldown)

By the way, the YSP repeats "up to" 60hz, which allows any 24hz source to send this signal through just fine as well, if you choose to do so. (I have the Sammy 8000 and the YSP and it passes 24hz just fine)

So...no worries.......you are all good.....Enjoy!

Dan

Ok, Thanks Dan and l3ftonm3. That makes sense, and I think it will be easier to run it from the source to the ysp and let it pass the video and audio on to the TV.

One other question. The house I recently moved into has an OnQ system, and it requires an input from an RJ45 connection. I had to buy a missing peice (the part that converts stereo A/V cables into Cat 5) and because the ysp does not have a stereo out, I've got to run the audio out from the Samsung.

My question is, if I turn the speakers off on the TV (or rather tell it to use external speakers), then will it still send audio back out via HDMI (arc) AND audio out back to my OnQ system? I have tested to make sure, and when hooking to the audio out on my Samsung, it does not control volume from the TV, rather lets me independently control the volume to the OnQ system with my volume knobs on the walls, which is how I want it. Would this functionality also stay the same once I turn the tv speakers off?

(BTW, the reason I can't just try this yet, is because my custom install from BB isn't happening till next week, so I don't have it all set up in the proper room yet to test, and I'd like to know before the guy comes to install, cause he may not know his stuff)

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

Just an FYI to everyone who read the above...I received my 2200 tonight and I tried it out. I hooked my Arc channel to my Arc on my TV. It worked great, but unfortunately, it wouldn't push the audio out to the audio output and the Arc channel at the same time. The solution? I've got to run all components directly to the TV, then run optical digital out of the TV and to the soundbar, and then also run RCA audio out to my OnQ system. It works that way, but I suppose I'll be missing some (3)audio decoding formats. Still rather have the 2 zone function than have to turn off the soundbar everytime I want my OnQ system to have audio.
post #367 of 590 Old 04-14-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:

Ok, Thanks Dan and l3ftonm3. That makes sense, and I think it will be easier to run it from the source to the ysp and let it pass the video and audio on to the TV.

One other question. The house I recently moved into has an OnQ system, and it requires an input from an RJ45 connection. I had to buy a missing peice (the part that converts stereo A/V cables into Cat 5) and because the ysp does not have a stereo out, I've got to run the audio out from the Samsung.

My question is, if I turn the speakers off on the TV (or rather tell it to use external speakers), then will it still send audio back out via HDMI (arc) AND audio out back to my OnQ system? I have tested to make sure, and when hooking to the audio out on my Samsung, it does not control volume from the TV, rather lets me independently control the volume to the OnQ system with my volume knobs on the walls, which is how I want it. Would this functionality also stay the same once I turn the tv speakers off?

(BTW, the reason I can't just try this yet, is because my custom install from BB isn't happening till next week, so I don't have it all set up in the proper room yet to test, and I'd like to know before the guy comes to install, cause he may not know his stuff)

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

Just an FYI to everyone who read the above...I received my 2200 tonight and I tried it out. I hooked my Arc channel to my Arc on my TV. It worked great, but unfortunately, it wouldn't push the audio out to the audio output and the Arc channel at the same time. The solution? I've got to run all components directly to the TV, then run optical digital out of the TV and to the soundbar, and then also run RCA audio out to my OnQ system. It works that way, but I suppose I'll be missing some (3)audio decoding formats. Still rather have the 2 zone function than have to turn off the soundbar everytime I want my OnQ system to have audio.

Bossross,

Glad you can at least accomplish what you had intended.........nothing is ever as easy as we hope it seems. Yes, unfortunately I believe the optical out on the TV, If I remember correctly, will only output 2 channel due to copyright restrictions......at least this used to be the case.

All the best.

Dan
post #368 of 590 Old 04-15-2011, 10:00 PM

Greetings,

I want to find out if the YSP 2200 can be connected to a laptop ?
The set up I am trying for is a laptop , Projector, and YSP 2200 ? Trying to stream content from the net thru the laptop to a projector and hoping that audio can be through the YSP 2200.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
post #369 of 590 Old 04-16-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanclare
Greetings,

I want to find out if the YSP 2200 can be connected to a laptop ?
The set up I am trying for is a laptop , Projector, and YSP 2200 ? Trying to stream content from the net thru the laptop to a projector and hoping that audio can be through the YSP 2200.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Sanclare,

Sure, this would not be a problem.....depending on your laptop of course. I'll assume like some laptops that your's does not have an HDMI? (not a standard feature, but common on more pricey models)

I can think of the simplest equation here and if needed, you can even use an audio out (standard red and white stereo) from the laptop to the YSP, even if it is from the headphone jack on your laptop. (using a mini pin to RCA adapter.) in this case just be aware of your volume level on the laptop as it would come in to play as opposed to a standard set line level. Sadly this would eliminate recieving a digital surround signal.

All of this is conjecture by me of course, again, you might have better options a silane, depending on your laptop......at the very least, it can be down though.

Dan
post #370 of 590 Old 04-16-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Bossross,

Glad you can at least accomplish what you had intended.........nothing is ever as easy as we hope it seems. Yes, unfortunately I believe the optical out on the TV, If I remember correctly, will only output 2 channel due to copyright restrictions......at least this used to be the case.

All the best.

Dan

Thanks for that info Dan. I might could get around what you are talking about, but I have seen that mentioned numerous times, so I decided to hook it up this way:

All components hook via HDMI to TV. All components hook to ysp2200 via digital optical cable.

Now....I have a question with going this route.

Am I going to have noticable lip sync issues by sending video over HDMI to the TV and audio via Toslink to the soundbar?

I understand that Toslink will carry data faster than HDMI, and because I'm not necessarily using the ysp2200 as yamaha probably expects/intends users to (with all HDMI passing through it) I feel like lip sync may be a big issue. I know with the Arc channel, the audio will sync, but when I'm using the arc channel, my OnQ system won't work as I mentioned above.

I'm getting all this mounted up tomorrow, and I've got to get it right, so I'm going to go ahead and hook up the arc channel too just in case its too noticable, but I feel like my sources may down mix my audio to 2 channel when they see it hooked to a TV....so I'm going to just be doing this in case the lip sync is unbearably off with the split of audio and video to 2 different sources.
post #371 of 590 Old 04-16-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Thanks for that info Dan. I might could get around what you are talking about, but I have seen that mentioned numerous times, so I decided to hook it up this way:

All components hook via HDMI to TV. All components hook to ysp2200 via digital optical cable.

Now....I have a question with going this route.

Am I going to have noticable lip sync issues by sending video over HDMI to the TV and audio via Toslink to the soundbar?

I understand that Toslink will carry data faster than HDMI, and because I'm not necessarily using the ysp2200 as yamaha probably expects/intends users to (with all HDMI passing through it) I feel like lip sync may be a big issue. I know with the Arc channel, the audio will sync, but when I'm using the arc channel, my OnQ system won't work as I mentioned above.

I'm getting all this mounted up tomorrow, and I've got to get it right, so I'm going to go ahead and hook up the arc channel too just in case its too noticable, but I feel like my sources may down mix my audio to 2 channel when they see it hooked to a TV....so I'm going to just be doing this in case the lip sync is unbearably off with the split of audio and video to 2 different sources.

Boss,

Not a problem, glad I could offer some input ( no pun intended . I have one component, my cable box, sending the HDMI directly to my panel, but have the audio output run to the YSP through the optical from the cable box, no noticeable sync issues, so you might be ok. I did this because I wanted to maintain my different picture settings on my panel as opposed to my blu- ray player, hooked up directly to the sound bar and out put via HDMI on a different port....this way I can maintain my cable and blu settings on different HDMI's. However, if you do have sync issues, I would think given the manual settings allowed on the YSP, and the fact that this sound bar is driven with delay effects ( to simulate surround) you should be able to overcome sync issues with the settings. Let me know how you make out.......good luck and enjoy!
post #372 of 590 Old 04-17-2011, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Since both HDMI and optical audio are in the digital domain, there should be zero lip synch issues on that account.

David Freeman
post #373 of 590 Old 04-19-2011, 05:20 AM

Hi all
I have recieved one of these soundbars last week.
I am just wondering has anyone gone through the manual setup on these ?
Also if there are ideal channel settings to optimise the surround sound effect?
Should i also run an optical cable from my PS3 to the bar along with the HDMI cable read somewhere that this is required to get the true 5.1 audio from a sky box .

This is my first sort of any surround system so please excuse me if the questions are a bit doppy

Thanks in advance.
post #374 of 590 Old 04-19-2011, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
hdmi gives audio no need to add the optical !
post #375 of 590 Old 04-20-2011, 11:35 AM

I got mine set up correctly, but it took a while.

HDMI - going from PS3 to TV
Optical - going from PS3 to input 1 on soundbar

HDMI - going from Dish network receiver to TV
Optical - from from Dish network receiever to TV input on soundbar

Had to tell PS3 to output PCM and Dolby Digital simotanously and do the same thing on the Dish box.

Also had to turn off HDMI control from Arc (HDMI 2 on the TV) because it was forcing the audio from HDMI inputs to the Arc output, meaning instead of the ysp2200 grabbing audio from the source, it was pulling it through the Arc channel, and only pulling stereo. Once I turned off HDMI control on the 2200, I started getting Dolby Digital off both PS3 and Dish.

I had to go this route because when I fed HDMI to the soundbar then up to the TV through Arc, It wouldn't send audio out to my OnQ system....it would only send it back to the Arc channel.

Only problem I've got now is, I've got to have 4 remotes.

TV - control smart TV with qwerty, samsung apps, picture settings, etc.
Dish receviver remote - to change channels on satellite
PS3 remote - to control movies, etc.
Yamaha remote - to control the soundbar

I guess my next purchase will be a universal remote that will let me control satellite, ps3, and yamaha....but then I've still gotta keep the samsung remote....but 2 is better than 4. The only good thing is, when I've got my mom or wife controlling the setup, they can just leave the soundbar turned off, and use the 1 dish remote and use TV volume.
post #376 of 590 Old 04-20-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:

I got mine set up correctly, but it took a while.

HDMI - going from PS3 to TV
Optical - going from PS3 to input 1 on soundbar

HDMI - going from Dish network receiver to TV
Optical - from from Dish network receiever to TV input on soundbar

Had to tell PS3 to output PCM and Dolby Digital simotanously and do the same thing on the Dish box.

Also had to turn off HDMI control from Arc (HDMI 2 on the TV) because it was forcing the audio from HDMI inputs to the Arc output, meaning instead of the ysp2200 grabbing audio from the source, it was pulling it through the Arc channel, and only pulling stereo. Once I turned off HDMI control on the 2200, I started getting Dolby Digital off both PS3 and Dish.

I had to go this route because when I fed HDMI to the soundbar then up to the TV through Arc, It wouldn't send audio out to my OnQ system....it would only send it back to the Arc channel.

Only problem I've got now is, I've got to have 4 remotes.

TV - control smart TV with qwerty, samsung apps, picture settings, etc.
Dish receviver remote - to change channels on satellite
PS3 remote - to control movies, etc.
Yamaha remote - to control the soundbar

I guess my next purchase will be a universal remote that will let me control satellite, ps3, and yamaha....but then I've still gotta keep the samsung remote....but 2 is better than 4. The only good thing is, when I've got my mom or wife controlling the setup, they can just leave the soundbar turned off, and use the 1 dish remote and use TV volume.

Boss,

You had a similar situation to me and set your gear up for much like I did......and yes, I just bought the Harmony one remote this week to control it all. I may have missed something, but why do you have to keep using the Samsung remote? I know my older 8800 Harmony controls my un55c8000 quite nicely. (as will the Harmony one)

Enjoy your setup!

Dan
post #377 of 590 Old 04-20-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:

Boss,

You had a similar situation to me and set your gear up for much like I did......and yes, I just bought the Harmony one remote this week to control it all. I may have missed something, but why do you have to keep using the Samsung remote? I know my older 8800 Harmony controls my un55c8000 quite nicely. (as will the Harmony one)

Enjoy your setup!

Dan

I need to use the samsung remote for the qwerty keypad more than anything. I also need quick access to different picture settings...but im sure your remote would allow me to do that.
post #378 of 590 Old 04-21-2011, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone tried or been able to add a subwoofer to this system? Thanks
post #379 of 590 Old 04-21-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:

I need to use the samsung remote for the qwerty keypad more than anything. I also need quick access to different picture settings...but im sure your remote would allow me to do that.

Boss,

Say no more. That is the one thing these universal remote companies have overlooked up to this point, qwerty. With all the internet and web features now available on most sets, qwerty is a must for enjoyment. Did your remote come with the TV? Whoich Sammy do you have?
post #380 of 590 Old 04-21-2011, 11:22 AM

Hi all
i have a few questions hoping someone could help me with.

Are optical cables generally considered better for audio rather than using the HDMI cable for audio and video or is there any difference at all.

One other question im currently watching the dark night from ps3 through the ysp 2200 using an optical cable for audio.

Now the light on the front of the ysp 2200 is orange when waching this blu ray

In the manual it says orange is for surround sound signals other than for one Dolby True HD and some others where it should display blue .
On the blu ray it says that the audio for the movie is DolbyTrue HD and Dolby Digital 5.1 should so why is it not displaying blue .

Are only some parts / scenes of the movie output in dolby true hd?or should it be displaying blue any ideas

Thanks
post #381 of 590 Old 04-21-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
You need to use HDMI cables for the HD audio (Dolby HD & DTS HD MA). Optical does not have the bandwidth necessary to support them. For other formats there should be zero difference in audio quality between the two cable types.
post #382 of 590 Old 04-21-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:

Boss,

Say no more. That is the one thing these universal remote companies have overlooked up to this point, qwerty. With all the internet and web features now available on most sets, qwerty is a must for enjoyment. Did your remote come with the TV? Whoich Sammy do you have?

I'm attempting to attach a pic, so hopefully it works. Please people...don't blast me for the cell phone pic. I just got it all set up and I wasn't going to go through a lot of trouble to post it here. Also, please ignore the image on the screen, as it makes the TV look crooked to me. Its also in black and white from some jack johnson documentary.

I have the un55d7000....and yes, mine came with the remote rather than the voucher. As you can see, I have a very very bright room, so LED was the only way to go. It still looks great at night in the pitch dark to me. The real bummer is reading the post above...as I've been wondering why I'm only getting Dolby, but thanks to possumgirl, I now know that I can't carry TrueHD or whatever through optical. I still had to go the route I did, because letting the soundbar accept and pass the audio/video wasn't going to send audio to my OnQ system. The good news is, when I have my OnQ system on, I can have stereo from every room in the house, including the living room where I have this, so while I may not be getting 7.1, I can still get "volume" anywhere. I'd much rather have the OnQ, which also gives me speakers outside, than have 7.1, and with my room diminsions, 7.1 was probably never going to work right anyway, as my wall opposite my ysp is 24 feet back.
LL
post #383 of 590 Old 04-21-2011, 03:46 PM

Thanks
Thats done the trick . One piece of amature advice for those getting this bar you really have to complete the manual setup to get bthe most put of the bar.
Thata what i think anyways its a bit complicated but if a pure noicve like me can do it im sure anyone can .
Really happy with the sound now since ive completed that and have even done for the center of the room yet as tv is currently in the a corner happy days

Thanks all
post #384 of 590 Old 04-21-2011, 06:02 PM

Liked: 11
bossross90

You cant upgrade the ON-Q system to accept hdmi audio?
post #385 of 590 Old 04-21-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossross90

I'm attempting to attach a pic, so hopefully it works. Please people...don't blast me for the cell phone pic. I just got it all set up and I wasn't going to go through a lot of trouble to post it here. Also, please ignore the image on the screen, as it makes the TV look crooked to me. Its also in black and white from some jack johnson documentary.

I have the un55d7000....and yes, mine came with the remote rather than the voucher. As you can see, I have a very very bright room, so LED was the only way to go. It still looks great at night in the pitch dark to me. The real bummer is reading the post above...as I've been wondering why I'm only getting Dolby, but thanks to possumgirl, I now know that I can't carry TrueHD or whatever through optical. I still had to go the route I did, because letting the soundbar accept and pass the audio/video wasn't going to send audio to my OnQ system. The good news is, when I have my OnQ system on, I can have stereo from every room in the house, including the living room where I have this, so while I may not be getting 7.1, I can still get "volume" anywhere. I'd much rather have the OnQ, which also gives me speakers outside, than have 7.1, and with my room diminsions, 7.1 was probably never going to work right anyway, as my wall opposite my ysp is 24 feet back.
Boss,

Nice. Love the bezel on the D series. I have the UN55C8000 and although I love it, the bezel is about 3 times the width. I wish I had the qwerty remote. I have heard the commands are almost identical and in theory it should work on the C series, but I don't know if it can be purchased separately. (anyone?) I really would not worry about not receiving the full bandwidth of HD audio. I suppose it is debatable, but I truly doubt that the difference is audible on a soundbar. I do love having the blue light go on and the bar displaying "HD Master audio" but I really think it is all in my head. (any difference in quality) not to mention this would be a moot point concerning all sources except blu-ray as that would be the only source you would get this format in anyway. Enjoy!

Dan
post #386 of 590 Old 04-22-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ftonm3 View Post

bossross90

You cant upgrade the ON-Q system to accept hdmi audio?

It would be awesome if I could, but I had a pretty hard time finding the dang part I actually needed for my current setup. OnQ doesn't even make it anymore, so I had to get it from a security company in New York (I'm in Georgia) to get the actual adapter made for it.

This OnQ system is a simple A-bus system and all that is required is for me to feed it audio out via a Cat 5 ethernet cable (preout, as it has a power supply on the punch down block for power over ethernet to the speakers, and any amperage would bust the speakers). I think it was layed out well by the builder, but unfortunately, all he left me was a Cat 5 jack at the termination point, so it was my job to find something to convert the preout audio to ethernet, which my little one source adapter does.

Lets say I could find and HDMI to ethernet converter though, I still don't how I would involve that in my current system to still pass HD video to the tv and HD audio to the soundbar.

Essentially I think I would have to find these:
- HDMI splitter (letting me send 1 HDMI component to 2 different sources) (Qty2)
- HDMI input to component cable output converter (QTY 2) - hook up just my audio cables to the component outputs, and then run that to:
- RCA 2 source input, 1 source output box - aKA RCA switcher (this adds a 5th remote to the system)
then I would just run that switcher to my current one source OnQ system

At this point, the cables are run and it is what it is, but in a perfect world....I would have probably tried to figure something else out had I known optical wouldn't carry what I needed it to.
post #387 of 590 Old 04-22-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Boss,

I wish I had the qwerty remote. I have heard the commands are almost identical and in theory it should work on the C series, but I don't know if it can be purchased separately. (anyone?)

Dan

The qwerty remote has to sync via bluetooth, and the C8000 doesn't have bluetooth capability that I'm aware of (atleast the 3d glasses aren't bluetooth). If I had a C8000, I'd be more interested in seeing if the c9000 remote would work. Thats one bad remote

BTW, I'm trying to figure out a remote code for the ysp2200 to work with my dish vip722 receiver remote. The dish tech gave me 679,505, and 506, so I'll try them when I get home, but if anyone wants to confirm that they've found a dish remote code that works, please list it here, if not, I'll update this post sometime this weekend to confirm or deny the codes he gave me to try.
post #388 of 590 Old 04-22-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:

The qwerty remote has to sync via bluetooth, and the C8000 doesn't have bluetooth capability that I'm aware of (atleast the 3d glasses aren't bluetooth). If I had a C8000, I'd be more interested in seeing if the c9000 remote would work. Thats one bad remote

BTW, I'm trying to figure out a remote code for the ysp2200 to work with my dish vip722 receiver remote. The dish tech gave me 679,505, and 506, so I'll try them when I get home, but if anyone wants to confirm that they've found a dish remote code that works, please list it here, if not, I'll update this post sometime this weekend to confirm or deny the codes he gave me to try.

Ahhhh, forgot the D series is bluetooth.......you are spot on, the C series is not bluetooth......so that's that. Thanks.

Dan
post #389 of 590 Old 04-23-2011, 09:02 AM

I did a little monkeying around last night (no the dish remote codes didn't work) and went ahead and just ran an HDMI cable to my soundbar from my PS3 and turned my arc channel on just to see what I was missing from 7.1. I must say, 7.1 did sound quite a bit better, but I did verify that when I had it run this way, my OnQ system did not work.

I also found something else interesting. When I had it set up to do so, my PS3 could force 5.1 to my TV, and my TV would pass 5.1 to my Soundbar(It won't pass 7.1, but it will pass dolby digital). So again, this points to the fact that its not the TV's fault it won't pass surround sound, its the sources fault. To further prove this point, I did the same thing with my Dish network receiver (sent audio to TV via HDMI and sent it out to the soundbar via HDMI arc) and it only produced stereo.

Basically, The playstation will allow you to force Dolby Digital to a stereo source, but the dish receiver recognizes that its hooked up to a stereo source and downmixes its signal to 2 channel even if you tell it to output dolby digital only.

I'll just have to deal with my 4 remotes and my 5.1 only soundbar. I still feel like getting this product was worth the money, as its 5.1 quality seems as good as an older sony true 5.1 I used at my old house. Maybe when we swap to DirectTV it will pass DD out like the PS3 does, and I can get rid of my optical connections.

Now that I've figured out that no matter what, I'm going to have to live with 5.1 output from my soundbar, should I go ahead and tell the soundbar to only put out 5 beam, or should I leave it on 5 beam+2. Will I get better, worse, or the same quality from a 7.1 blueray (knowing that the soundbar just gets Dolby Digital from the source) by changing it to 5 beam, or should I leave it at 5 beam plus 2 even thought its only going to receive Dolby Digital?
post #390 of 590 Old 04-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Hilarious review of YSP 2200 here:

http://india-shopping.info/yamaha-ysp-2200/
Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page