Ysp 2200 - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 590 Old 04-26-2011, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,
I am having a Samsung D7000 Plasma delivered on Friday and I have the YSP2200 waiting to be hooked up. Is there anything I need to be aware of? I was planning on connecting all of my components to the YSP2200 and then connecting the 2200 to my TV via HDMI. Am I missing something ? I think I am...
Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 590 Old 04-26-2011, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
no you are not missing...hooking a soundbar is one of the easiest things on earthy. Dunno why some people freak out
post #393 of 590 Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 AM

Thanks. That's what I thought! I was seeing all the previous posts and was freaking out a little bit.
post #394 of 590 Old 04-28-2011, 05:37 PM

Hello,
I was wondering if the sub on these things need alot of air flow. I am going to put it in a cube of my entertainment center but the back is enclosed. I am just going to drill a hole big enough to let the speaker wire out. Will this cause any issues? Thanks
post #395 of 590 Old 04-29-2011, 02:30 AM

i am thinking that yes it is better if air was around rather than some closed environment....
post #396 of 590 Old 04-29-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdac1975 View Post

Hello,
I was wondering if the sub on these things need alot of air flow. I am going to put it in a cube of my entertainment center but the back is enclosed. I am just going to drill a hole big enough to let the speaker wire out. Will this cause any issues? Thanks

With any sub the ideal setting is not enclosed. However, the YSP2200 sub is not powered, so it doesn't really produce any heat and overall isn't an overly powerful sub. I would imagine you won't be losing much sound quality by putting the sub in the setup you described.

I would be more worried about the sub rattling the other components in the entertainment center than having sufficient air flow.
post #397 of 590 Old 04-30-2011, 06:02 AM

Hello,
I got this set up and it seems pretty good. The sound is a bit tinny though so I'm wondering if I'm missing any setup. I did the auto set up. I'm comparing this to my old Bose 321 system. Also, I am using HDMI for all components so I didn't use the optical cable. Should I have?
Thanks for any set up advice!

edit:I just noticed that when I run the demo disc, the unit is not displaying Dolby D as it should it instead says PCM. Am I doing something wrong? THanks!
post #398 of 590 Old 04-30-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdac1975 View Post

Hello,
I got this set up and it seems pretty good. The sound is a bit tinny though so I'm wondering if I'm missing any setup. I did the auto set up. I'm comparing this to my old Bose 321 system. Also, I am using HDMI for all components so I didn't use the optical cable. Should I have?
Thanks for any set up advice!

edit:I just noticed that when I run the demo disc, the unit is not displaying Dolby D as it should it instead says PCM. Am I doing something wrong? THanks!

Pdac,

My first guess without knowing how you have everything hooked up, is that it might be your disc player's settings? If you are using HDMI, is your sound setting on the disc player set to bitstream or PCM?

Dan
post #399 of 590 Old 05-02-2011, 07:34 AM

Folks, I've had the YSP-2200 for about a week now. I have a Sony BDP-S470 hooked up to it, along with an Apple TV. I have generally been pleased with the YSP-2200, it replaces an old Bose 5.1 set-up. The set-up was fairly simple, and the sound field has been quite impressive.

I was playing the Tron Legacy blu-ray disc, then started getting an occassional crackling sound from the sub-woofer. I thought it might have been the disc, and tried the blu-ray discs for How to Train Your Dragon, and also Up, and I also got the sporadic sub-woofer noise. I tried shifiting the sub-woofer to a couple of locations, all with the same result.

Has anyone else come across this problem with thier YSP-2200 sub-woofers? Thanks in advance.
post #400 of 590 Old 05-03-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisL View Post

Folks, I've had the YSP-2200 for about a week now. I have a Sony BDP-S470 hooked up to it, along with an Apple TV. I have generally been pleased with the YSP-2200, it replaces an old Bose 5.1 set-up. The set-up was fairly simple, and the sound field has been quite impressive.

I was playing the Tron Legacy blu-ray disc, then started getting an occassional crackling sound from the sub-woofer. I thought it might have been the disc, and tried the blu-ray discs for How to Train Your Dragon, and also Up, and I also got the sporadic sub-woofer noise. I tried shifiting the sub-woofer to a couple of locations, all with the same result.

Has anyone else come across this problem with thier YSP-2200 sub-woofers? Thanks in advance.

Hey Lewis,

There was a poster with in the last month or so that was complaining of "horrible noises" from his 2200 sub, but I am not sure what kind........I think he ended up returning it. (look back a few pages)

Is the crackling noise similar to a cracked speaker? Is it contant? Consistant on certain scenes? When you say Sporadic noise, what kind of noise? (the crackling?)

Hope I or someone can help.

Dan
post #401 of 590 Old 05-04-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbyx View Post

Hey Lewis,

There was a poster with in the last month or so that was complaining of "horrible noises" from his 2200 sub, but I am not sure what kind........I think he ended up returning it. (look back a few pages)

Is the crackling noise similar to a cracked speaker? Is it contant? Consistant on certain scenes? When you say Sporadic noise, what kind of noise? (the crackling?)

Hope I or someone can help.

Dan

Hi Dan, thanks for your reply.

The crackling noise is not similar to a cracked speaker, it sounded electronic in nature, and usually came after scenes with heavy bass output. It is not a consistent noise, it is occassional, and happens in different scenes (not all with the same scenes). At first I thought it might have been the blu-ray disc, but when I tried other discs, the same noise came out.

I wrote to the Yamaha technical support site and they asked me to lower the volume of the channels, and to increase the master volume if I want the output to be higher. I replied to them that the sub-woofer volume was already at zero when it was making the noise.

I brought the soundbar to their service center today, and they will test it out. They did mention there was a firmware update available, but not for the noise I have been hearing. I'll keep you guys posted when I hear from them.

I really like this model and have been generally pleased, except for this problem.
post #402 of 590 Old 05-04-2011, 11:38 AM

I have a YSP 2200 soundbar hooked up to a Samsung LED TV, Samsung BluRay, a WOW cable box, and wireless internet, using HDMI. For some reason, the YSP changes from the CATV setting to the TV setting two times every time I power on the system, regardless of the power on order. I have to push the CATV button twice to get it to stay on that setting. Any ideas on what may be causing this?
post #403 of 590 Old 05-05-2011, 12:04 PM

I have the YSP-2200 and I noticed some electric/crackling noise coming from my sub while watching cable TV,but it must have been signal compression artifacts from my cable box. I have been unable to duplicate this using my panasonic blu ray player even though I was playing it at louder volumes. I have only noticed this a couple of times and it was not loud or too distracting.
post #404 of 590 Old 05-05-2011, 04:50 PM

Can anyone help me manually set up the surround sound on this thing? I did the auto setup but it didn't seem to do much (my room is not optimally shaped). I'm having trouble locating the manual. Thanks!
post #405 of 590 Old 05-06-2011, 05:43 AM

Hi PD if you press setup on your remote and scroll up using the directional buttons you will have the option manual setup .
This can be completed using the info bar on bar to review the options or with a video cable so that you have the options on your tv.
post #406 of 590 Old 05-06-2011, 05:47 AM

The manual is one of the DVD that came with your bar PD
post #407 of 590 Old 05-07-2011, 01:07 PM

First of all I apologize if my english is bad because I'm french. I'd like to buy an YSP2200. At first I wanted a real 5.1 system but my room configuration is weird and I don't really know how I could install rear channels.
Do you think the YSP2200 would work in my home ? Everything is opened in my living room so I'm not sure it will work good. Here is a picture of the place.

I hope the conversion from meters to feet is correct. So as you see, the tv is just near the right wall. The left wall is away from the tv (24,5 feet). And the return of the sound could probably not work, because there is the kitchen in this all opened space.
Just behind my sofa there is a small wall (3,3 feet). In fact it's not really high (just 1 feet higher than the sofa itself). The real rear wall is at 17,7 feet from the TV screen. Between the small rear wall and the normal rear wall there is 4,5 feet. And as you see there is also a little "hole" in this rear wall as it's going upstairs to the bedrooms.
So do you think I could have a decent surround system anyway ? I think I don't really have any alternative to this YSP2200.
Thank you for your advices.
post #408 of 590 Old 05-08-2011, 04:07 AM

i don't have it...but in order to work good the YSP's need a closed room...4 walls.....and preferably a small surface

So i don't think it will be good for you
post #409 of 590 Old 05-13-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimseb View Post

First of all I apologize if my english is bad because I'm french. I'd like to buy an YSP2200. At first I wanted a real 5.1 system but my room configuration is weird and I don't really know how I could install rear channels.
Do you think the YSP2200 would work in my home ? Everything is opened in my living room so I'm not sure it will work good. Here is a picture of the place.>>SNIP<<<<br /> I hope the conversion from meters to feet is correct. So as you see, the tv is just near the right wall. The left wall is away from the tv (24,5 feet). And the return of the sound could probably not work, because there is the kitchen in this all opened space.
Just behind my sofa there is a small wall (3,3 feet). In fact it's not really high (just 1 feet higher than the sofa itself). The real rear wall is at 17,7 feet from the TV screen. Between the small rear wall and the normal rear wall there is 4,5 feet. And as you see there is also a little "hole" in this rear wall as it's going upstairs to the bedrooms.
So do you think I could have a decent surround system anyway ? I think I don't really have any alternative to this YSP2200.

Hi, u'r English is a heck of a lot better then my French!

My room is very similar to ur's & my newly arrived ysp2200 is sitting ready to be hooked up...I still have to install my new DVD player ... I'll let u know in a couple of days how it sounds.

After reading the manual, I'm fully prepared to get less then optimum results...mainly due to the same thing u have, the large open space on the side where a wall should be. My room also has a large glass sliding door on another side. I'm hoping that the result is "good enough"...I'll let u know

"I'll be back"
post #410 of 590 Old 05-16-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimseb View Post
>>>SNIP<<<<
OK...I've spent more time then I care to admit installing the 2200. To answer pimseb's question...I doubt that u would be happy with the result. However, I am...explanation follows.

Unlike pimseb, my set is located in a corner, & on the side that has the "missing" wall, there is in fact a 3' wall where the HT is located.

To describe my listening position & what I hear,picture the face of a clock drawn on the floor of my room...I sit in the middle (where the hands turn), the HT is at 1200.

On my left is a 15' wall with a 9' glass sliding door in the middle. On the right is the large open space, but as stated, the HT sits in the intersection on these 2 points with solid walls of 4' on each side.

With my 7yr old 5.1 HTIB, I got surround sound from all locations around the clock face....the 2200 doesn't (can't) equal that. On my left, the best surround I get seems to come from the 1000-1030 position. On the right, it comes from about 0100...to be equal to what I hear from the left, it should come from 0200.

I'm willing to accept that in order to ditch the speakers from the true 5.1 system. I won't live here for much longer, & maybe my next house will have a room more friendly to the 2200...however, it wouldn't be as nicely "open" as my present layout.

BTW...Auto Setup was worthless (tried 3 variations), seems that with any non-standard room, you have to spend a lonnnggg time to try some manual setups.

Hope this info helps
post #411 of 590 Old 05-24-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisL View Post

Hi Dan, thanks for your reply.

I brought the soundbar to their service center today, and they will test it out. They did mention there was a firmware update available, but not for the noise I have been hearing. I'll keep you guys posted when I hear from them.

I really like this model and have been generally pleased, except for this problem.

Hello, I'm the user that had the same problem as yours. They never fixed it, gave me my money back and bought the b&w panorama.
The crackling was to the point where it would happen every five minutes. :O
I got bad luck I'm sure but I'm kinda skeptical against Yamaha since.
I've never bought anything new that didn't work (except for an iPhone but that's another story )
post #412 of 590 Old 05-27-2011, 07:15 PM

Can you listen to the soundbar via headphones (I think Blue-tooth)? Anyone doing this and, if so, does it work well? We have an open-concept main level and headphones are a must.
post #413 of 590 Old 05-29-2011, 07:45 PM

Hi guys - I live in an apartment (studio, shoebox, 55sqm), only two walls (TV side, couch side) - would one of the YSPs work in a space like that?

I'm a first timer here, so can't post URLs until I've posted three times - will post links to design of apartment then.
post #414 of 590 Old 05-29-2011, 07:47 PM

Hi guys,

Long time lurker of these forums, first time poster. Be gentle!

In short, I live in an apartment and am sick of my TV speakers, but I don't want the cables that come with a 5.1 setup. So I've arrived at a soundbar.

I'm looking at the YSP-2200 or YSP-4100 - the price difference doesn't really worry me, but I'm concerned that the shape of my apartment will prevent a good performance.

This is the design of my place:

http://www.homehound.com.au/listing/...pos=8759331_03

http://www.homehound.com.au/listing/...pos=8759331_02

Or a poor MS Paint effort: https://www.yousendit.com/download/d...aTEwVW52Wmc9PQ

The bar would obviously sit on the shelve, next to the fridge space. How would this impact the 'bouncing' sounds?

Will I get a decent surround performance? Thanks for your opinions in advance!
post #415 of 590 Old 05-30-2011, 05:51 AM

Bump - can anyone help?
post #416 of 590 Old 05-30-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
I have heard both in different home environments and in a dedicated showroom (not a big box store). All (that were involved in these listening marathons) who have been able to compare prefer the 2200 over the 4100 and 5100 due to better sound and greatly improved dynamics. In all three cases, the volume level was adjusted to within .25db, the threshold of the meter used, to insure we were not picking the loudest (99% of people will). This was not blind or double blind testing, but I do not believe there was much prejudice involved with the picks.

In the proper room, surround effects were about equal. Good sound and dynamics will make your listening experience more enjoyable. If you are not satisfied unless you hear the sound coming from all around you, none of the soundbars I have owned or tested would make the grade. Surround is at the bottom of my list for audio quality.

David Freeman
post #417 of 590 Old 06-05-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelgsta View Post

Bump - can anyone help?

It's a bit difficult to tell because either the photos make the apartment look deceptively big or the drawing makes it look deceptively small. The hallway, in particular, looks much deeper in the photos than in the drawing. The apartment may not look ideal but the MS Paint version doesn't really look half bad. As for the overall shape, the left hand side (towards the window) would be fine, but the right hand side could be problematic. The curtains in the bedroom nook might not give you issues (if you make sure to keep them open) but I would be more worried about that hallway.

That said, I had my YSP2200 in a much worse situation than yours before I moved it into an unused bedroom. My living room is probably as far from ideal as possible, while the bedroom is the ideal shape, and the difference wasn't nearly as big as I expected. I got better separation between fronts and rears (especially on the right) while the rear channels still don't sound like they're coming from behind. Given that your apartment is somewhere in between, I'd say it's a passable compromise if you don't want a discrete 5.1 system and don't expect too much from the YSP.

Here is my living room shape for reference:

post #418 of 590 Old 06-05-2011, 09:39 AM

Has anybody been able to pull 6.1 audio out of this unit? If so what does the display itemize and is there a noticeable difference in audio? Yamaha indicates these are the audio formats for the YSP-2200.

Audio Formats Dolby TrueHD Yes
Dolby Digital Plus Yes
Dolby Digital Yes
Dolby Digital EX Yes
Dolby Pro Logic Yes
Dolby Pro Logic Ⅱ Yes
Dolby Pro Logic Ⅱx Yes
DTS-HD Master Audio Yes
DTS-HD High Resolution Yes
DTS Yes
DTS-Neo 6 Yes
DTS-ES Yes

Here is a list I was hoping to test, in particular the ones in bold;

Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets: Ultimate Edition
King Of New York
The Lord Of The Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy
Top Gun
U2: Rattle And Hum
The Untouchables
X-Men: The Last Stand (Reissue)
Stargate
The Number 23
post #419 of 590 Old 06-05-2011, 02:19 PM

Yes the YSP-2200 will produce 6.1 sound to what extent will see. The system itemizes a "blue light" when DTS Master Audio: English 6.1 Dolby Digital. I can tell you I am resorting to manual set up next in my less than optimal sound field. Regardless, out of the soundbars I have tested the YSP-2200 has produced the best surround. I cant complain with the versatility of this soundbar. Tested media was Fellowship of the Ring. I ended up just dumpin off a bunch of DVDs and swapped for the movie.
post #420 of 590 Old 06-08-2011, 05:25 AM

I have setup my YSP-2200 and labeled the inputs (fairly easy, just don't try reading the manual - it's pretty useless). Is there a way to get this to simply stay on the last selected input when it is powered on? It seems to always switch to "TV" when I power it on, even though I left it on HDMI1 when I powered it off.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page