Ysp 2200 - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 590 Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Doing manual setup and did ok I guess...the only things I don't quite get are focal length and image location...can someone explain those to me please...thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 590 Old 04-22-2013, 05:20 AM

Liked: 10
Anyone have any luck getting an actual printed manual out of Yamaha? Using the .pdf file does not work too well if you do not have a laptop and your primary PC is in another room. (I know I can print it out, but gosh, such a use of paper and ink on my dime!)
post #543 of 590 Old 04-30-2013, 12:21 PM

does anyone know if this bar is being replaced soon? Every place that runs sales is out and when I call they said they are not being shipped to them. I wanted a 2200 but cant find a price under 800. a few places were at 600-650 but all sold out.

Also how go is the surround on this.. I dont want to go more than 700 for a good bar for music and movies.

thanks
post #544 of 590 Old 04-30-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
It's a great sounding unit for movies, as long as you are not expecting too much from a soundbar. But I am happy with it. I will eventually get something else for music, but this is great for movies and not cluttering the room. I bought mine here and it arrived last week. $629 brand new! I was pretty thorough when opening it, it looked like it had never been opened before. It also seemed almost impossible to repackage it without signs that it had been opened.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-YSP-2200-BLACK-DIGITAL-SOUND-PROJECTOR-HDMI-AUDIO-YSP-2200BL-HD-NEW-/200866077631?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item2ec48d1bbf
post #545 of 590 Old 04-30-2013, 05:27 PM

I saw that vendor and called them 3 times to ask them a question They never answer the phone or return calls. So I'd never buy from them in case I ever needed support since that dont respond to calls.

thanks for your input
post #546 of 590 Old 04-30-2013, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsscott View Post

I saw that vendor and called them 3 times to ask them a question They never answer the phone or return calls. So I'd never buy from them in case I ever needed support since that dont respond to calls.

thanks for your input

It's just me but their feedback is solid. If the price was right, I'd order the soundbar from them. Between Ebay and PayPal, you'd be covered. Any support issues could be handled through Yamaha directly. If you have a specific question, did you try e-mailing them, either directly or through Ebay?

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #547 of 590 Old 05-01-2013, 11:08 AM

Just my way but if I dont trust a company and they are not able to return a call they don't get my money.

May consider the new sony soundbar I know its lowerend but they usually sound so good
post #548 of 590 Old 05-05-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perferd View Post

Doing manual setup and did ok I guess...the only things I don't quite get are focal length and image location...can someone explain those to me please...thanks

I think image location is where the left and right channels will sound like they coming from. I left these as wide as possible.

Focal length should always be a good bit short of the reflective wall or short of your sitting area. Basically all 16 speakers point at the focal point and the distance from the bar to where the beams converge is the focal length. After the focal point at the designated focal length the sound field of that channel starts to widen.

I have my center channel at 2ft focal length which creates a nice diffused sound and so voices aren't obviously coming from the bar. My left and right channels have focal lengths of 6 ft and I sit 13 ft from the bar. My surround left and right are at focal length of 7-8ft.

Watching TV right now and loving hearing clapping from the audience to each side. Don't fret, took me 4 weeks of tweaking before I got everything dialed in. My recommendation is put all your focal lengths at 4-6 ft. Adjust your beam angles until you've optimized your soundstage. Then start playing with focal lengths. You'll notice a big difference in sound at 1 ft vs 4+ ft of focal length. Good luck.
post #549 of 590 Old 05-06-2013, 04:26 AM

Is it true this soundbar isn't good unless you can bounce the sound off walls? That is, a regular 4 wall room won't be good for this soundbar? I read that somewhere... is that true? I have a regular 10x12 room with a bay window that I want to put a soundbar in, and probably this one, will it work well? Thanks!
post #550 of 590 Old 05-06-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
I got the soundbar cos i had nowhere to put surround speakers. It still sounds pretty good, but I am sure the 2200 would sound better in your room than in mine. If I had 4 walls, I probably would have gone for a true surround sound system. Probably the Klipsch Gallery G16 speakers.
post #551 of 590 Old 05-08-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phie View Post

Is it true this soundbar isn't good unless you can bounce the sound off walls? That is, a regular 4 wall room won't be good for this soundbar? I read that somewhere... is that true? I have a regular 10x12 room with a bay window that I want to put a soundbar in, and probably this one, will it work well? Thanks!

Yes you want walls to bounce sound off of. Check yamahas website and it shows the optimal placement. If you have no walls to utilize you can go with a cheaper soundbar that attempts to trick your ears into recognizing the wider soundstage. Check out yamaha's yxx-401 or 201.

You also need to be a person that likes spending a few hours perfecting numerous settings. If you aren't the 2200 doesn't have a good auto setup in my opinion. The 401 and 201 will be better plug and play options. In short, with walls and willingness to tweak settings you can replicate a low end HTIB system, but without all the wires and speakers.
post #552 of 590 Old 05-13-2013, 07:18 AM

Hi all. Having difficulty setting up an older Samsung LCD. No optical outs, no ARC. Trying to connect analog via rca cables, but still not getting sound through the bar. Any suggestions?
Thanks
post #553 of 590 Old 05-28-2013, 05:52 AM

Hi,

I have just purchased a 2200, I'm using it with a Panasonic TX-50ST50B and a PS3.

I have the Panny and the 2200 connected via HDMI using hdmi socket 2 (arc) to the hdmi in on the 2200

The PS3 is connected directly to the HDMI 1 socket on the 2200.

All devices have HDMI control (CEC) turned on and the TV has its audio out set to Home Theatre.

Everything is working great, but there are a few little niggles I'm trying to solve.

• I want to limit the number of remotes the family has to use, with the current setup they can turn on the TV and the 2200 will turn on automatically
• Increasing the volume via the TV remote causes the 2200 volume to increase (no sound output from the TV speakers)
• Turning the TV off from its remote turns the 2200 off as well

BUT

• Switching the TV to HDMI 2 does not turn the PS3 on
• The TV remote does not control the PS3
• The PS3 does not switch off when the TV is switched off

* all these used to work when the PS3 was directly connected to the TV

If anyone has any suggestions on how my setup could be tweaked to fix the above problems I would be very grateful.

Thanks

P.
post #554 of 590 Old 05-28-2013, 08:46 PM

Liked: 53

Turn off CEC, use an optical cable instead of ARC and get a decent universal remote!

post #555 of 590 Old 05-31-2013, 04:05 PM

I'm posting this here and in the HTPC forum because I'm not sure where is appropriate, but I have a strange problem.

I have an HTPC using an nVidia GT 430 card to pass sound/video to my YSP-2200 soundbar which passes video on to my Samsung UN55D8000. I control everything with my Logitech remote and primarily interface with the computer using XBMC. Here's the issue:

If I turn off the YSP and TV (leaving the computer running), the next time I turn them on I will experience an extremely slow interface with my computer. Video will stutter and no sound will come out while using XBMC or with any other program. Mouse movements are jerky, etc. The fix every time is just to turn the YSP off and on. Once I do that, things work flawlessly.

I'm not ever sure where to start to begin troubleshooting. Any thoughts?
post #556 of 590 Old 06-05-2013, 09:09 AM

If anyone has a link for a really good "HOW TO" video on how to dial in the sound manually, on this soundbar, I would LOVE to see it.
Thanks.
post #557 of 590 Old 06-05-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooN77 View Post

Curious what settings you guys run on this system. Not the Intellibeam settings but the sound setup settings. More specifically... tone control, subwoofer, and DRC settings?

And also, if I use the optical cable vs HDMI, will I still get the same encodings? I hate using ARC on my TV.... it does weird things with my soundbar. It randomly switches to the "TV" input so I figured I'd just run an optical cable to the soundbar.

EDIT: Added my settings...

Treble: 0.0
Bass: 1.0
Subwoofer level: 0.5
LFE: -3
DRC: off

I'm just confused on how to set up tone/sub. Do I just play around with the settings and set it to my liking? How much bass/sub level, treble, etc?

I know this is months and months late, but turn off your HDMI control in the sound bar settings, and you won't randomly switch or do weird things on you. It will also stay on the last HDMI selection.
It was driving me nuts that it was always switching back to TV when I turned the bar on again.
post #558 of 590 Old 06-23-2013, 09:41 AM

I am having quite dreadful lip sync issues with the soundbar. It is fine on SKY, BluRay and the built in Free view, but the Plex media server stuff is totally out of sync.

Anyone feed the 2200 from a media server? How do you lip sync?
post #559 of 590 Old 07-02-2013, 05:14 AM

Can someone recommend an affordable subwoofer upgrade to the 2200. I just purchased this unit and think a sub upgrade would complete this. I am not tech savvy and have read that some add a sub in parallel and others just upgrade it. I'm looking in the 200 to 250 range. My concern is that replacing the sub could alter the sound since the existing sub is designed to match the speakers. If the preferred path is to add a sub, would you please explain to me how I wire a second sub?

Thanks.

Clerk
post #560 of 590 Old 07-03-2013, 04:06 PM

Trying to figure out how this will work before I bring it home.

Connecting to it will be:

- Philips 42" HDTV (bought at least 2-3 years back)
- Turntable
- Mac Mini [this model doesn't send audio over miniHDMI -> HDMI]
- Cable-Box
- Blu-ray Player

Would the best way to connect these be:

Turntable -> YSP-2200 RCA In
Blu-ray Player -> YSP-2200 HDMI In
Cable-Box -> YSP-2200 HDMI In
Mac Mini -> YSP-2200 Optical In
Mac Mini -> YSP-2200 HDMI In
YSP-2200 HDMI Out -> TV HDMI In 1

Does this mean the TV can always stay on HDMI 1 while switching between watching Cable/Mac Mini/Blu-ray, while switching the source on the YSP-2200 would change which video gets output through the HDMI Out to the TV HDMI 1? So then the only remotes needed would be Cable Remote (controls TV/Cable-Box), YSP-2200 Remote, Blu-ray remote?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: How would you add another woofer in parallel to this unit? What kind would you need to substitute the one it comes with if necessary?
post #561 of 590 Old 07-03-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
You are sort of okay with your plan except for the turntable and the Mac Mini. Does your turntable have a built-in preamp? If not, you will need to get a phono preamp to connect between the turntable and the YSP2200. For the Mac Mini your plan doesn't work because you can only select one input on the soundbar at a time. So if you select the HDMI input you'll get video, no audio. What you need to do is connect the Mac Mini HDMI to your TV. So your video selection will be on the TV and you'll select optical in on the soundbar for the audio.

For everything else, your TV can stay on the HDMI1 input.
post #562 of 590 Old 07-03-2013, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! I appreciate it.

I do have a phono pre-amp to go between the turntable and YSP-2200.

Shouldn't be too much trouble to switch TV and Soundbar for separate A/V for the mini.
post #563 of 590 Old 07-09-2013, 02:01 AM

My two years old 2200 soundbar is dead today, with no video output to the TV set.

I tried to connect the game consoles directly to the TV set and all worked fine. I also swapped the HDMI cables between consoles and the soundbar but with no luck the problem still persist. This indicates the problem maybe from the HDMI module.

I contact the local repair centre and they replied that probably the HDMI digital board was burnt due to power surge/dip.

As there is no warrenty cover for the soundbar (i bought it from Amazon US with bargain price 2 years ago), and the spare need to be ordered from Japan, they estimated the repair cost will be more than USD400.

I'm struggling on the next move: get it repair or go for an alternative soundbar.

Any suggestion?
post #564 of 590 Old 08-04-2013, 08:50 PM

Liked: 11
hi guys, i just got the YSP-2000 got everything setup and is working great , i just got one quick question, there is one settings that i don't understand

on the menu it say Dual, then i have 3 choice , Dual Main, Dual Main+Sub and Dual Sub, does anyone know what are this settings for and what should be the right choice, thanks in advanced

English Is Not My First Language
My HD-DVD/BD Collection

post #565 of 590 Old 10-19-2013, 11:59 PM

Does anyone here know the latest firmware number for the YSP-2200? I've tried emailing Yamaha and they don't even know!

Here is what they told me:

----------------------------------------------

Hello,

We only have one firmware version available. You will have the latest firmware version.

Thanks!
YAMAHA AVCARE

What is the version number of the firmware?

Warm regards,

Marc

We don't have a firmware version number. Only one is available.

Thanks!
YAMAHA AVCARE

TBMOTORING.COM - Thunder Bay Automotive Enthusiast Club
post #566 of 590 Old 11-21-2013, 03:32 AM

Hi all,

I am considering getting one of these but the TV is in the corner of the room and its a conservatory with Vertical Blinds on all sides.

Will this work and will I get surround sound?

OR will it be better to purchase a different kind?

Many thanks
post #567 of 590 Old 12-11-2013, 05:12 PM

I just bought a YSP 2200. It's my first soundbar. I currently have a Denon AVR 2310 with Ascend fronts and Sony rear speakers. I live in a small apartment in Boston, and the speakers take up too much space, so I switched to a soundbar. My room is about 12x15 ft.

What should I know about this soundbar? Any tricks that can save me time?

I plan on hooking up my WDTV Live, Apple TV, Sony BRAVIA TV and my laptop (on occasion, via HDMI) to the soundbar, to take advantage of its sound. Any advice? It's just like my Denon AVR 2310 in the sense that it can handle these various sources, I just have to select which source I want to use at the time?

Finally, does this soundbar have a calibration software, similar to Audyssey on my Denon?

I am new to the world of HiFi if you can't tell smile.gif
post #568 of 590 Old 12-23-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
So my wife refused to have a 5th 5.1/7.1 setup in the house (probably a reasonable objection redface.gif) in our bedroom. So I gave in and requested this thing for Christmas. She ended up getting it for me, and I had to open it since the UPS man showed up with the box. biggrin.gif

I've spent the last few days working on it. I wholeheartedly agree with the CEC headaches. My Harmony Ultimate had major problems with it. I currently have it set up as receiving the 2nd output on the Onkyo 3010 in my HT (Gawd I love how this receiver has dual HDMI outputs that can output 2 different sources at once...). So, technically, the soundbar is being fed by a 360, an Xbox One, a PS3, a PS4, a Popcorn Hour , 2 Mac Mini's, a Tivo Premiere, and a Series 3 Tivo.

For some reason, Plex on the Mac Mini from my main HT just didn't work. I'm not sure if it was a matter of the fact that it was going through both the rcvr and the soundbar, but it would incessantly stutter. So I got the 2nd Mini ($500 refurbs FTW!), didn't have it go through the rcvr first, and it works great, even w/ my LPCM BR rips.

Now, for the sound...

First, let's just say that this master bedroom was built for a soundbar. It is pretty much a straightforward rectangle, with no weird angles. I figured I'd be able to get past my obsession with speaker size and extension, and the imaging would be the part I'd enjoy the most. I went through the auto setup with the mic, and got started on surround content. The imaging isn't bad. The gunfight scenes from the 3:10 to Yuma BR showed the directionality I was looking for.

But I have to say it -- the sound quality on this thing is just depressing for me. Dialogue is clear (probably its main benefit when compared to the Samsung TV spkrs). Sports broadcasts do have a little more ambience. But music w/ bass, and any action movie w/ LFE, is largely muddy and lacking in quality. Part of the reason I got this thing was the possibility of just adding a better sub with speaker-level inputs, and I'm probably going to pull that trigger at some point, b/c, for anyone who's used to full subs (my other subs are an Epik Conquest, an SVS 16-46 PC+, 2 MFW-15's, and an Epik Legend), the included 'sub' is reminiscent of the mid-90's when I had those Onkyo HTiB subs, but seems worse (granted, my ear has probably changed over the past 15 yrs)...

As for the different listening modes -- I think I need more time to see if changing surround modes is worth a damn, depending on content.
post #569 of 590 Old 12-23-2013, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I ended up coming to the same conclusion on sound quality with sound bars in general and went with a 2.1 system. It was a BIG improvement. You can find better sounding sound bars but none that do as good at surround effects as the Yamahas and none did as well as a 2.1 system for sound quality.
post #570 of 590 Old 12-29-2013, 01:27 PM

What should I leave the subwoofer volume set at? Any suggestions?
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page