Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by manazeal View Post

They are back in stock at Buy.com
I just ordered mine

Yep, still in stock as of 6pm EST. $542.99 out the door.
post #153 of 590 Old 12-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Yep,, I do have high hopes for the 2200,,, but Im not getting my hopes to high in light of the Yamaha S400,,, that thing really kinda sucked,,, the S400 was a giant disapointment and that experience was in the back of my mind when I was ordering the 2200.

Just checked UPS tracking and the new toy is on the truck in transit to me, will have it this afternoon.

I just glanced over at my JVC, it has a worried look on its grill.

Was that reference for me

I will be posting my review late tonight with pictures of the 2200 set up next to the JVC and pics of my room.

My living room is very soundbar friendly so the 2200 will have no excuss's if it sucks.

When I demo the 2200 I will also try 2 mounting positions, above my TV and at the base of my TV,,, already got the manual downloaded onto my PC and have been reading it so Im all set.

I will post back later tonight.

Cheers
Davyo

Looking forward to your review as I am considering it for my 2nd setup. Although I am bit surprised you haven't tried Aperion Slimstage30. This is the best soundbar I've ever used, although not cheap.

Mac Mini HTPC (Win7)
post #154 of 590 Old 12-30-2010, 03:56 PM

Davyo

Please hurry with the review. They are in stock now and waiting for you to give the "This sound bar is the bomb" review before I purchase.
post #155 of 590 Old 12-30-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post

Looking forward to your review as I am considering it for my 2nd setup. Although I am bit surprised you haven't tried Aperion Slimstage30. This is the best soundbar I've ever used, although not cheap.

From this review it seems that the Slimstage30 is for tv's 30-40 inches in size.

Would it matter if I paired it with a 46inch tv?

http://hometheaterreview.com/aperion...stem-reviewed/
post #156 of 590 Old 12-30-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeasy70075 View Post

Davyo

Please hurry with the review. They are in stock now and waiting for you to give the "This sound bar is the bomb" review before I purchase.

This guy is sooooo impatient.

KRP diem [kahr-pe dee-em] Latin. seize the KRP; enjoy the present, as opposed to placing all hope in the future.
post #157 of 590 Old 12-30-2010, 05:17 PM

If anyone sees this on buy.com for the $550, you should not hesitate to purchase. While I have not compared this to the Sony and JVC soundbars (for sound quality), I can assure you the YSP 2200 sounds amazing and the build quality trumps all the other soundbars on the market. I have had it for about a week now, and watching Blu-ray movies is an entirely new experience compared to my Samsung TV speakers. My previous house had an older 5.1 Mirage setup (which cost about $1500 at the time), and I'm not missing that setup anymore now that I have the 2200. Wwhile the YSP 2200 can't simulate the true background surround, the depth of the sound field is great and you can clearly hear and feel the different sound 'beams.' The subwoofer isn't overpowering, and it appear to complement the bar quite nicely.

Here are a few other thoughts about the YSP 2200:

1. Setup was very simple. Using the provided microphone for the auto setup worked like a charm. The auto setup configured the bar for '5beam plus 2,' but every movie I have watched so far only utilizes '5beam.' There doesn't appear to be a way to force it into the 'plus 2' mode. Perhaps the movie has to be recorded for 7.1 in order to use this feature. All the movies I have watch have been 5.1.
2. I'm still getting used to the 'Cinema DSP' surround modes. These are different modes, such as Adventure, Sci-fi, and Drama, which simulate surround. I've been using Drama for most movies and TV shows, as it seems to be a good default.
3. As others have mentioned, I could see this bar being difficult to mount. I think a shelf would be the best option.
post #158 of 590 Old 12-30-2010, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
For the impatient ones

Just got home from work,,,, getting ready to unbox the 2200 and fire this puppie up,,,, will report back an an hour or so.

Will it suck,, or will it rock,,,, we shall see.

Cheers
Davyo
post #159 of 590 Old 12-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Can you post some pictures please?

Mac Mini HTPC (Win7)
post #160 of 590 Old 12-30-2010, 07:43 PM

I hope it rocks. I selected budget shipping & it is already out for shipping.

JHT
post #161 of 590 Old 12-30-2010, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok,,, here are the "first" thoughts !!!!

So far,,,, and those words are important,,, so far, it sounds good,,,, but not great.

I ran the auto set-up with the calibration mic and have been watching the new Star Trek as my demo BluRay.

So far,,,, it has not beaten my JVC BA1.

Im going to have to do some more testing and report back after that,,,,,Im thinkin about an another hour with the 2200 will tell me if its something Im doing wrong or if the 2200 is just not that great.

Again, the 2200 does not suck at all, it actually sounds pretty good,,, but at the price I want it to at least beat my JVC.

Ok,,, on to more testing,,,,,,, and reading the manual,,,, and Im also going to re-run the auto calibration.

Pictures,,, yes,, I will post those in my next posting.

Cheers
Davyo
post #162 of 590 Old 12-30-2010, 11:28 PM

@shadykidd: you can force the 5+2 beams in the sound sub-menu, by default it is set on auto-channel, so if the movie is not at least DTS FR it won't start in 7.1 emulated..
force it, but don't expect miracles!!! if the source is no good, you won'thave particularly advantages!
@davyo: i suggest not to stop at auto-set-up, but change the values in manual mode, especially for the back surrounds.. auto-setup is good but not so precise!
waiting for your final opinion, eve if i can say to be very satisfied, after 3 weeks owning!!
post #163 of 590 Old 12-31-2010, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

OK,,,, the verdict.

After re-doing the auto set-up and calibration the YSP-2200 is the winner.

In my soundbar journey's the JVC has been my top pick, and yes, after spending some time with the 2200 it has come out on top as what I think is the best sounding bar.

The JVC vs the 2200 was a close call though,,, in some respects the JVC performs/sounds better,,,, but in more respects the 2200 sounds and performs better.

The 2200 has a bigger wider soundstage and a more 3 dimensional sound than the JVC,,, the JVC is more centered.

The 2200 has a much better surround effect than the JVC.

Bass/sub on the JVC and the 2200 about even.

Features and HDMI inputs,,, the 2200 is the clear winner of course.

Looks and build quality,, the 2200 wins as well.

Since I think the YSP-2200 beats out my JVC how do I feel about the other bars that I have had,,,it beats them all,, and for sure the 2200 beats out the Sony CT's, matter of fact I think the 2200 is the Sony CT killer,,,, the 2200 has all the HDMI inputs, a much better sound and a way better surround effect,,, the only thing the Sony CT's have over the 2200 is the lower price.

OK, now here is the weird part,,,, Im not going to keep the YSP-2200,,, reason is,,,, its not $500.00 better than my JVC.

While the YSP is the clear winner over my JVC its not a night and day difference, I guess I would say the YSP is about 20% to 30% better overall than my JVC and to me thats not worth $500.00.

So here is what Im going to do,,,, I know the YSP is hard to get so if anyone is interested PM me and the first person to PM me I will sell it too at what I paid for it,,,, I know lots of people on here want one of these so I would rather see it go to a good loving AVS home than simply retrun it for refund,, anyhow, PM me if interested.

Below are the promised pictures of the YSP with the JVC and my 65" Panasonic plasma.

Cheers
Davyo

post #164 of 590 Old 12-31-2010, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
dave we are all watching you. i suggest to try the 2200 not for more hours but more days....
remember these bars need to open up...and remember you had so many change of opinions the longer you kept your bars.....cT150...JVC...vizio 510....

if necessary take you time off these forums and come back in a few days with the final verdict...

meanwhile what I WANT to know is: is this YSP technology really BETTER than the lower tech employed by sony and samsung etc...regarding surround???
i mean yamaha and all reviews claim that YSP crushes simple enhancement tech employed by the competition....what is YOUR opinion?? is there true surround on the 2200?

edit: i wrote the above just 1mn before you posted your final review....

but if i recall you said you did not care about $$$, you just wanted the best sounding bar. so returning the 2200 is maybe not a good idea.

and if you say the difference betweeb it and the JVC is not huge....well you also said the difference between the ct350 and JVC is not huge neither, yet the 2200 is wayyyyy better than the CT350?

i know i am understanding just what i want to, but reading the 2200 review from you just made me hate all bars...and where i live the only option i will have are the CT's....
post #165 of 590 Old 12-31-2010, 01:12 AM

I'm looking at the 2200 and the JVC TH-BA3 right now to complement my 55" Samsung LED TV. I just need hookups to handle a Blu-ray, XBOX 360, and Tivo.

My home theater problem right now is my living room has a raised ceiling, and no usable walls to the sides of the couch (one side is a bay window, the other opens up into a open concept kitchen/dining area) with a wall behind the couch.

So while I like a lot of the specs and the idea of keeping it simple with the 2200 and sound bar I'm thinking it might not do me any good since there's only the frontal and rear wall to reflect the sound off?

That leaves me with only wireless 5.1 systems, and most have been HTIB's that are lacking in quality. I've tried several Samsung HTIB's and returned them, even tried the latest Samsung Soundbar and returned it due to underwhelming sound.

Has anyone tried the 2200 is a similar setup? probably its stereo mode only.

Otherwise the JVC seems like one of the better options for me (except for the lack of HDMI), other than the Visio which I could pick up locally at Costco (just read way too many reviews about the failing led's).
post #166 of 590 Old 12-31-2010, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k View Post
edit: i wrote the above just 1mn before you posted your final review....

but if i recall you said you did not care about $$$, you just wanted the best sounding bar. so returning the 2200 is maybe not a good idea.

and if you say the difference betweeb it and the JVC is not huge....well you also said the difference between the ct350 and JVC is not huge neither, yet the 2200 is wayyyyy better than the CT350?

i know i am understanding just what i want to, but reading the 2200 review from you just made me hate all bars...and where i live the only option i will have are the CT's....
$$$ is not that big of a deal, but by my math to get a med bump in sound quality Im spending $500+ for the YSP-2200 along with what ever amount of money I loose if I were to sell my JVC.

As far as the YSP sounding way better than the Sony CT,,, yes it does,,,,,the YSP sounds better than the JVC and the JVC sounds better than the Sony, so in my mind the YSP sounds way better than the Sony,,,,, hope that made sense

As far as hating all soundbars,,, dont,,,, in reality the Sonys are great sounding bar's and so are the JVC's and the YSP's.
The Sonys do not suck in any way and saying one bar sounds better than the other bar does not mean any of them are not worthy of a purchase.

While I think the JVC and the YSP do sound better than the Sonys,,, I still love the Sonys and think they sound great as well.

Cheers
Davyo
post #167 of 590 Old 12-31-2010, 06:08 AM

By this review Davyo mean to say that if you do not have any soundbar get ysp 2200. But if you have have jvc you dont need to upgrade. Is it correct?

JHT
post #168 of 590 Old 12-31-2010, 06:19 AM

Davyo - I'm glad you like the ysp 2200. And thank you for the very quick feedback. Could you please clarify what price you paid for it? If you paid the buy.com 550 price, it isn't that much more than the JVC. When it come to home theatre equipment, a 20% to 30% increase in sound quality is worth a couple hundred dollars in my opinion.

Also, I would take into consideration that besides sounding the best,the ysp also has superior build quality, sleeker looks, great connectivity,and the best codec decoding ability. These are all important factors which make the ysp worth the extra cash, especially of you plan on keeping it for a while.

Finally, as someone else pointed out, quality speakers typically have a break-in period and sound slightly better over time. I have about 30 hours on my ysp, and even my wife agrees it sounds 'warmer' than the first day I had it setup.
post #169 of 590 Old 12-31-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshepherd View Post
I'm looking at the 2200 and the JVC TH-BA3 right now to complement my 55" Samsung LED TV. I just need hookups to handle a Blu-ray, XBOX 360, and Tivo.

My home theater problem right now is my living room has a raised ceiling, and no usable walls to the sides of the couch (one side is a bay window, the other opens up into a open concept kitchen/dining area) with a wall behind the couch.

So while I like a lot of the specs and the idea of keeping it simple with the 2200 and sound bar I'm thinking it might not do me any good since there's only the frontal and rear wall to reflect the sound off?

That leaves me with only wireless 5.1 systems, and most have been HTIB's that are lacking in quality. I've tried several Samsung HTIB's and returned them, even tried the latest Samsung Soundbar and returned it due to underwhelming sound.

Otherwise the JVC seems like one of the better options for me (except for the lack of HDMI), other than the Visio which I could pick up locally at Costco (just read way too many reviews about the failing led's).
Keep in mind that the ysp has a very wide and deep sound field, which I think you would experience even with your room configuration. While you may lose some of the surround effect, I think you will still be pleased with the sound. Try buying it someplace with a good return policy so you have nothing to lose.
post #170 of 590 Old 12-31-2010, 07:02 AM

davyo, if i understand correctly you favorite sound bars are:
1- ysp 2200
2- jvc
3. vizio 510
4- sony ct 350/150

in this case let's say that the ysp 2200 was at 800 bucks would you still recommand it compared to the CT's ??

anyway the jvc you love is sooo big and ugly, compared to the 2200
post #171 of 590 Old 12-31-2010, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshepherd View Post

My room is very similar to yours. I used an earlier YSP (900 I think) for about three years in this room. If anything, the YSP's I have experienced sounded better when new than after a reasonable amount of settling in. I have a friend who had the current model 4100 for six months before he too decided to abandon the Yamaha surround technology.

In my living room, 16' ceilings - 45 foot to back wall - no side wall to one side - closest sidewall to the other side is 18', the only modes from the YSP that did not sound muddy were stereo and 3 channel front only. My friend with the 4100, and remember this was a $1700 soundbar, had similar reactions and his room other than 14' ceilings was much more normal than mine (approx 18' x 25'). Maybe it is just me, but Yamaha's YSP technology, at least up through the 4100, leaves me cold. I, my wife, son, friends, can all tell when it is on as it definitely leaves almost all sound with a definite coloration that should not be present.

I will say that even in my not good for surround room, the Yamaha could present a convincing surround soundfield. However, the dynamics of the system, especially in surround mode, were extremely disappointing. On my friend's 4100 the overall volume capability has improved greatly since 2007 model, but the problem with dynamics were still there.

I have been looking forward to the YSP-2200 because of the revised (and much better) styling as well as all of the other features Yamaha finally added. However, based on Davey's assessment, I will wait until I get fortunate enough for one of my friends to purchase one so I can hear it in a home environment. Based on design and specs, this should be an excellent unit. However, I don't want to throw away $550-$800 for a test. When it comes to inexpensive units, less than $300, this is not a big deal if something does not live up to expectations. But to double that price, the unit should not have any obvious flaws.

David Freeman
post #172 of 590 Old 12-31-2010, 08:01 AM

If we're expecting to pay $500-$800 for a decent soundbar, how does the ZVOX 575 stack up in comparison to the Yamaha and others mentioned?
post #173 of 590 Old 12-31-2010, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
I have only heard one zVox, not sure of the model, and it did sound better than the television speakers, but was not close to the sound quality of any of the soundbars that I have been exposed to. I personally do not feel you need to spend $500-$800 for a decent soundbar. Sony, JVC and Vizio all have good to very good soundbars for less than $250. The most expensive soundbar I owned, Yamaha with sub-woofer, was the least rewarding. The Yamaha combination cost approx. $1300 in 2007. I purchased a Vizio for around $100 without sub in 2009 that outperformed (by a wide margin) the Yamaha.

David Freeman
post #174 of 590 Old 12-31-2010, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for pictures! It looks very thin from the front in comparison to JVC. Is that subwoofer on the right?

Mac Mini HTPC (Win7)
post #175 of 590 Old 12-31-2010, 11:40 AM

Liked: 21
@klas, that's it, yes.

post #176 of 590 Old 12-31-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jithtproject View Post

By this review Davyo mean to say that if you do not have any soundbar get ysp 2200. But if you have have jvc you dont need to upgrade. Is it correct?

Yes,, that would be the way to put it.

If you already have a JVC BA1, be happy with it, if your looking to buy a soundbar then yea, I think the YSP is the best choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyKidd View Post

Davyo - I'm glad you like the ysp 2200. And thank you for the very quick feedback. Could you please clarify what price you paid for it? If you paid the buy.com 550 price, it isn't that much more than the JVC. When it come to home theatre equipment, a 20% to 30% increase in sound quality is worth a couple hundred dollars in my opinion.

Also, I would take into consideration that besides sounding the best,the ysp also has superior build quality, sleeker looks, great connectivity,and the best codec decoding ability. These are all important factors which make the ysp worth the extra cash, especially of you plan on keeping it for a while.

Finally, as someone else pointed out, quality speakers typically have a break-in period and sound slightly better over time. I have about 30 hours on my ysp, and even my wife agrees it sounds 'warmer' than the first day I had it setup.

Agreed with much of what you said, but I think my thing is that, I was wanting to have that "Ohh ma god, this soundbar is amazing" reaction,,,instead my reaction was "Hey this thing sounds really good",,,,,,,,perhaps I set the bar to high (pun intended)

Quote:

davyo, if i understand correctly you favorite sound bars are:
1- ysp 2200
2- jvc
3. vizio 510
4- sony ct 350/150

in this case let's say that the ysp 2200 was at 800 bucks would you still recommand it compared to the CT's ??

anyway the jvc you love is sooo big and ugly, compared to the 2200

Not the correct order,,, my favorite sounding system is the Vizio, but becuase of the problems with the LED's and the fact that it has rear speakers I look at it as more of a full 5.1 system than a soundbar.

I would still own the Vizio if not for the LED problems and Vizio treating me like an idiot,,, telling me there was no reported problems with the LED's.
And when I asked Vizio about EVERYONE complaining about the LED's they still denied there was ANY problems,, what a slap in the face from Vizio,,,, there CS sucks to the tenth power,,,, if I go to CES this year I fully intend on saying something to the Vizio reps about how unhappy I am with there CS,,,,, sorry for the Vizio rant, Im still pissed at them.

Anyhow, the correct order for my favorite "sounding" bars,, a bar configuration only (1 bar, 1 sub) are.

1: YSP-2200
2: JVC BA1
3: Sony CT-350
4: Sony CT-150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolanzdad View Post

If we're expecting to pay $500-$800 for a decent soundbar, how does the ZVOX 575 stack up in comparison to the Yamaha and others mentioned?

I tried the Zvox at home a few months ago,,,, it did not stack up at all against any of the bars I have tried,,, for me, the Zvox was a huge disapointment.

Cheers
Davyo
post #177 of 590 Old 12-31-2010, 01:05 PM

Can anyone tell me how this compares to the YSP-4100 or YSP-5100?
post #178 of 590 Old 12-31-2010, 02:08 PM

@drfeerman:
we all appreciate your input on the YSP, guess you don't like them...

but having listened to the CT's you said that the dynamic porblems the yamahas have is nonexistent...and you seem sure...
stupid question: what are dynamics in a soundbar exactly ??? why do you think the ysp suffer from that...as opposed to much cheaper bars

@davyo: in the end....does a bar decoding HD audio matter??? i mean do you think the sound is better on the 2200 because it is HD?? or is it just because the drivers/conception is better than the JVC?

many people have always wodered if having HD audio decoding in a bar is worthwile....

drfreeman any toughts?? (yes the yamaha 4100 you dislike is HD....)
post #179 of 590 Old 01-01-2011, 04:48 PM

Are all of the YSP-2200 audio inputs independent? I have more that 3 digital sources that i may want to hook up.

Thanks
post #180 of 590 Old 01-01-2011, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

@davyo: in the end....does a bar decoding HD audio matter??? i mean do you think the sound is better on the 2200 because it is HD?? or is it just because the drivers/conception is better than the JVC?

Yes, I think having the HD does matter,, I know I can hear little nuances on the 2200 that are not there on the JVC, so I would think thats because of the HD decoding.

Cheers
Davyo
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page