Ysp 2200 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 590 Old 01-01-2011, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Nenito - dynamics is ability to make what you are listening to come alive. This involves a number of factors.

Primary is headroom, how loud the device can play without distortion. There is a slight caveat here as some people prefer a little distortion. Most speaker distortion is second or third harmonic and to some people this gives a smoother or sometimes fuller sound at loud volumes. It does not sound like anything you hear in real life.

Second is dynamic range. The difference between the quietest and loudest passages. I don't always use a lot of dynamic range, but a speaker's ability to handle dynamic range can make a great deal of difference even at lower volume settings.

Finally, rise time. This is how quickly a speaker reacts to its input. One of the things that draws me to the JVC is the rapid rise time on transient sounds. This can be something like the sound of gunfire or screeching rails. It can be the crescendo of a cymbal or drum or cannon in music. Probably one of the reasons for my dissappointment with the YSP that is still at my son's home as well as three others I have sampled in various home environments is the lack of this rapid response. My guess would be this is difficult to achieve with the multiplicity of drivers and amplifiers and probably even more with the way Yamaha uses phase shift to handle its various surround modes. Typically, speakers with the best rise time have all drivers in phase. This means when one driver pushes, they all push. An old trick to time-align loudspeakers was to drive the woofer and tweeter out of phase with one another and the fastest box, not planar, speaker I ever heard or owned were DCM TimeWindows from 1979. Don't know how DCM or their designer ever made this work so well and don't know if any of the principles from their company could work their magic with any type of soundbar or HTIB system.

To my ears, speakers that lack good dynamics tend to sound homegenized. This does not mean they sound bad, they just don't sound like the real thing. Or in the case of movies where we seldom hear the real thing, they don't sound like what I hear in the theater.

One other small caveat to those looking for surround in a sound bar. I have been to see at least four Academy Award caliber movies with excellent sound in the past two weeks and on none of these were you ever made aware of the sound from the sides or rear of the theater. The surround sounds in a movie, if handled well, do not draw attention to themselves. This is the way things should be in a home theater. However, most people, want to be aware of their surround speakers and sub-woofer at all times. After all, they paid for these things. With proper setup, their systems could sound a level of magnitude greater.

David Freeman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 590 Old 01-01-2011, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
@drfreeman, thanx man..you knowledge is scary !

1. Primary is headroom, how loud the device can play without distortion...
2. Second is dynamic range. The difference between the quietest and loudest passages...
3. Finally, rise time. This is how quickly a speaker reacts to its input...

you really like the sony CT's; does this bar meet all the above requirements or only some? what about the JVC vs CT regarding the rise time?

thanx again in advance
post #183 of 590 Old 01-02-2011, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post
Yes, I think having the HD does matter,, I know I can hear little nuances on the 2200 that are not there on the JVC, so I would think thats because of the HD decoding.

Cheers
Davyo

Davyo may be one of those "golden ears" individuals. In double blind testing with high end equipment in an acoustically treated room it was very difficult for people to differentiate between the lossless codecs and good lossy material on a blu ray http://www.hemagazine.com/node/Dolby...compressed_PCM . That doesn't mean that Davyo isn't hearing a difference, but it does point out to how good high bit rate lossy codecs are.

Now translate that to a soundbar with its inherent limitations and it seems even more unlikely for most people to hear a difference because of the codec being used. More likely a difference is heard because of the equipment. There is also the potential for a strong placebo effect. If you have a soundbar that decodes the lossless formats that's great, but I wouldn't be a bit concerned that you are missing much if anything if your soundbar does not.
post #184 of 590 Old 01-02-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjammin View Post

Davyo may be one of those "golden ears" individuals. In double blind testing with high end equipment in an acoustically treated room it was very difficult for people to differentiate between the lossless codecs and good lossy material on a blu ray http://www.hemagazine.com/node/Dolby...compressed_PCM . That doesn't mean that Davyo isn't hearing a difference, but it does point out to how good high bit rate lossy codecs are.

Now translate that to a soundbar with its inherent limitations and it seems even more unlikely for most people to hear a difference because of the codec being used. More likely a difference is heard because of the equipment. There is also the potential for a strong placebo effect. If you have a soundbar that decodes the lossless formats that's great, but I wouldn't be a bit concerned that you are missing much if anything if your soundbar does not.

I would have to agree with you 100%,,, the difference I heard was more than likely because of the equipment and not because I have some super hearing.

Although, my hearing works very well,,, I can actually control my hearing to tune out the sound of a girlfriend bitching at me.

Cheers
Davyo
post #185 of 590 Old 01-02-2011, 11:03 AM

I'm thinking the Yami 2200 is getting hard to find, because they'll be coming out with a '2300' or whatever next week at CES.

2 cents
post #186 of 590 Old 01-02-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualityair View Post

I'm thinking the Yami 2200 is getting hard to find, because they'll be coming out with a '2300' or whatever next week at CES.

2 cents

Im willing to bet your about 110% wrong,,, sorry.

Actually the reason the 2200 is so hard to get is because Yamaha is wanting to do their "official" anouncement/release of ther YSP-2200 at CES.

Companies often do stuff like that so close to CES,,, most of the time they wait till CES, and if not, they do a limited release until after CES.

Cheers
Davyo
post #187 of 590 Old 01-02-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqong View Post

Are all of the YSP-2200 audio inputs independent? I have more that 3 digital sources that i may want to hook up.

Thanks

There are 4 independent audio inputs (3 digital). The inputs are:

3 HDMI
2 Optical
1 Coaxial
1 Analog
post #188 of 590 Old 01-02-2011, 07:45 PM

Hi all,
I've been lurking for a while and this is my first post. I've been researching soundbars for a while in hopes of finding one for our TV room. Based on what I'm reading so far, it sounds like the 2200 could fit the bill perfectly for our small TV room. (12x16 w low ceiling and 4 walls)

Can anyone comment on how the mid range is for the 2200? With 16 tiny drivers and the sub, it seems like it would be lacking in mid range.

Thanks in advance!
post #189 of 590 Old 01-03-2011, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I have gotten alot of PM's so I guess I should mention that I found the YSP2200 a loving home.

Cheers
Davyo
post #190 of 590 Old 01-03-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyKidd View Post

There are 4 independent audio inputs (3 digital). The inputs are:

3 HDMI
2 Optical
1 Coaxial
1 Analog

I had the same question regarding audio inputs as jamesqong. Just to clarify, if all 3 HDMI inputs are used, then only 1 other digital audio input can be used for a grand total of 4 digital inputs. So I could theoretically hook up a PS3, Cable Box and Mac mini via HDMI, leaving 1 digital port left open for another audio source. Is this correct?
post #191 of 590 Old 01-03-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerenser View Post
I had the same question regarding audio inputs as jamesqong. Just to clarify, if all 3 HDMI inputs are used, then only 1 other digital audio input can be used for a grand total of 4 digital inputs. So I could theoretically hook up a PS3, Cable Box and Mac mini via HDMI, leaving 1 digital port left open for another audio source. Is this correct?
There are actually a total of 6 digital inputs (3 HDMI, 2 Optical, 1 Coax). You can have 6 digital sources connected at one time. In my previous post, I said there are 4 'independent' audio sources (non-HDMI, since HDMI is audio and video). I was assuming independent meant audio without video. Sorry for the confusion.
post #192 of 590 Old 01-03-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k View Post

@drfreeman, thanx man..you knowledge is scary !

1. Primary is headroom, how loud the device can play without distortion...
2. Second is dynamic range. The difference between the quietest and loudest passages...
3. Finally, rise time. This is how quickly a speaker reacts to its input...

you really like the sony CT's; does this bar meet all the above requirements or only some? what about the JVC vs CT regarding the rise time?

thanx again in advance

I do like the Sony CT's. The new Sony's overall seem to have all of the headroom I could ask for. Speed of the woofer is not outstanding, but as I have mentioned, I have only encountered a small number of woofers at any price that have made me sit up and say wow. The JVC is the only inexpensive item to ever get this reaction out of me. In many ways, I feel that the Sony has possibly a little better balance between the woofer and soundbar than the JVC which is a plus in the Sony's favor.

I am not the guy who goes after gee-whiz, wow sound. No booming woofers or shreiking tweeters. I want things to either sound real, like when listening to music, or give the same sonic signature as what I remember from a movie experience. Since sonic memory is very faulty, I will admit that my perceptions could be wrong on any given day. And as far as music, the Sony handles almost any content that I could throw at it better than the JVC. JVC left a 60hz whole in their frequency response between the woofer's high frequency cut-off and the soundbar's low-frequency cut-off. Dumb design. However, the JVC is still my preference.

I am still looking forward to having a chance to hear and play with the Yamaha 2200 in a home environment as I think this, on paper anyway, appears to be the best Yamaha design yet. Unless I read a review from an extremely trusted source saying this bar is clearly superior to the competition, I am hesitant to fork over the necessary cash to obtain one.

I am also still very interested in the Asperion Slim Stage. Depending on circumstances, this may be on my purchase list for 2011. First, I have to build a custom cabinet for a larger TV, then maybe buy the larger TV. I purchased a 50" plasma in 2009, but it shrunk on me. I didn't allow for shrinkage in my purchase. 50" is the largest that will fit into my current custom cabinet, so I guess I need a good cabinet maker. The new cabinet will also incorporate a larger area for sound.

I will keep you posted in the third or fourth quarter as to which way I go and if there is money left over for a slighly higher end bar when the work is done.

David Freeman
post #193 of 590 Old 01-03-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

I do like the Sony CT's. The new Sony's overall seem to have all of the headroom I could ask for. Speed of the woofer is not outstanding, but as I have mentioned, I have only encountered a small number of woofers at any price that have made me sit up and say wow. The JVC is the only inexpensive item to ever get this reaction out of me. In many ways, I feel that the Sony has possibly a little better balance between the woofer and soundbar than the JVC which is a plus in the Sony's favor.

I am not the guy who goes after gee-whiz, wow sound. No booming woofers or shreiking tweeters. I want things to either sound real, like when listening to music, or give the same sonic signature as what I remember from a movie experience. Since sonic memory is very faulty, I will admit that my perceptions could be wrong on any given day. And as far as music, the Sony handles almost any content that I could throw at it better than the JVC. JVC left a 60hz whole in their frequency response between the woofer's high frequency cut-off and the soundbar's low-frequency cut-off. Dumb design. However, the JVC is still my preference.

I am still looking forward to having a chance to hear and play with the Yamaha 2200 in a home environment as I think this, on paper anyway, appears to be the best Yamaha design yet. Unless I read a review from an extremely trusted source saying this bar is clearly superior to the competition, I am hesitant to fork over the necessary cash to obtain one.

I am also still very interested in the Asperion Slim Stage. Depending on circumstances, this may be on my purchase list for 2011. First, I have to build a custom cabinet for a larger TV, then maybe buy the larger TV. I purchased a 50" plasma in 2009, but it shrunk on me. I didn't allow for shrinkage in my purchase. 50" is the largest that will fit into my current custom cabinet, so I guess I need a good cabinet maker. The new cabinet will also incorporate a larger area for sound.

I will keep you posted in the third or fourth quarter as to which way I go and if there is money left over for a slighly higher end bar when the work is done.

David,,, I have to ask,,, why do you still use a cabinet, I mean no offenese Im just curious.

Years ago I guess I could understand the need to an entertainment center thingy, but these days, with wireless and flat panels and all the A/V products that can be used for a stealthy install (soundbars being one of those products) why use a cabinet or entertainment center ????

Cheers
Davyo
post #194 of 590 Old 01-03-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

I've been researching the Aperion Slimstage and remember reading where one professional review indicated that Aperion is working on a new soundbar. The reviewer claims to have gotten that info from Aperion. I'm hopeful that Aperion will come up with something with hdmi inputs. I don't think Soundmatters is producing soundbars any more. They advised they don't produce the 40 or 50 any more and I think the Aperion sale on the 30 is liquidating the last of the inventory.
post #195 of 590 Old 01-04-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

David,,, I have to ask,,, why do you still use a cabinet, I mean no offenese Im just curious.

Years ago I guess I could understand the need to an entertainment center thingy, but these days, with wireless and flat panels and all the A/V products that can be used for a stealthy install (soundbars being one of those products) why use a cabinet or entertainment center ????

Cheers
Davyo

Davy - I use a cabinet because my wonderful wife of 32 years wants all of the components hidden behind wooden doors when not in use. My personal preference would be to have everything wall mounted or on an open cabinet where I could easily change cables, it is not to be in our home. As I am pretty sure there would not be another female (except maybe your mannequin and I am not even too sure about that) who would put up with me, I will continue to acquiesce in the matter of where audio and video live.

If allowed an open stand, I could easily move up to the 60-65" range for television. In our condo, the only decent space for video is in one corner of the family room. Only one long wall. Large 6' x 6' window to one side ofthe corner and the entrance to the sunroom on the other.

Currently working on details for a newly designed built-in cabinet that would accomondate a 58"-60" television for sure, possibly up to 65".

As 10cc said back in 1977, "The Things We Do For Love". Like putting TV's and soundbars in cabinets.

David Freeman
post #196 of 590 Old 01-04-2011, 04:43 PM

Well, I finally got my new soundbar unboxed and I'm letting it adjust to the climate. I ordered it last week at Buy.com the minute it became in stock for the oft-mentioned price. I paid extra for the next day shipping and eagerly waited for the shipment notice. I had Monday off (perfect!) and received my new Monoprice cables -- just needed the YSP. FedEx decided to try and deliver the package AFTER my leasing office had closed, but didn't bother to try and deliver it to my apartment!! And of course, I missed them today while I was at work -- I ended up having to drive to the hub tonight and pick it up (Thanks FedEx!!)

What is it about watching the tracking results of your new purchase as it rides around in the back of a delivery truck?! Anyway, this is my first soundbar and I'm hoping that it goes well. The unit itself is rather... svelte and fits nicely under my 55" Samsung. I was worried about losing the 4th HDMI input of the YSP-4100 (my other choice), but I'll primarily be using an HTPC, Xbox 360 and PS3.

OT, in my book, both DHL and FedEx are rapidly becoming the suxor...
post #197 of 590 Old 01-04-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajira99 View Post

Well, I finally got my new soundbar unboxed and I'm letting it adjust to the climate. I ordered it last week at Buy.com the minute it became in stock for the oft-mentioned price. I paid extra for the next day shipping and eagerly waited for the shipment notice. I had Monday off (perfect!) and received my new Monoprice cables -- just needed the YSP. FedEx decided to try and deliver the package AFTER my leasing office had closed, but didn't bother to try and deliver it to my apartment!! And of course, I missed them today while I was at work -- I ended up having to drive to the hub tonight and pick it up (Thanks FedEx!!)

What is it about watching the tracking results of your new purchase as it rides around in the back of a delivery truck?! Anyway, this is my first soundbar and I'm hoping that it goes well. The unit itself is rather... svelte and fits nicely under my 55" Samsung. I was worried about losing the 4th HDMI input of the YSP-4100 (my other choice), but I'll primarily be using an HTPC, Xbox 360 and PS3.

Glad you have your YSP in your hands finally. I am interested in the YSP 2200 mainly for using it with the 360 and the PS3, so please let us know how well it works for that.
post #198 of 590 Old 01-04-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajira99 View Post

Can't wait to see what you think.
post #199 of 590 Old 01-05-2011, 04:49 AM

Well, I got up this morning and started hooking things up. I managed to clear up some cable clutter, and the subwoofer had just enough room to fit in one corner of my TV stand.

The automated setup was fun, especially at 4am when the subwoofer tests started! It went by pretty quick and painlessly -- I like being able to give the different inputs meaningful names. The funny thing is that the PS3 video stayed at 1080p, but my Xbox and HTPC both defaulted to 720p (easy enough to change back). My current living room environment is less than ideal with all the moving boxes in the middle of the floor and general clutter, plus the fact that the TV stand is canted at 45 deg. facing my kitchen counter (mid-chest height). The YSP is about 24" above the floor, but from my chair 8' away and at relatively low volume, the surround effects were pretty promising. I want to try again later with the Inception and Iron Man 2 BD's, plus some DVD Audio and DTS music discs.

I need to sort out an issue with my cable STB audio (probably forgot to assign it to an input), although the TV power and volume buttons do control the YSP. I also need to set up the HDMI control for the PS3, and correct a multichannel audio glitch in my HTPC.
post #200 of 590 Old 01-05-2011, 06:36 PM

I've got a YSP-2200 that is going back to buy.com (long story - ended up with 2 of them). But, it is brand new, still in box. If anyone is within pickup area of Lexington, KY and is interested in it, send me a message within the next 24 hours. Unfortunately, shipping is outrageous on this thing - so, pickup would be the best option.
post #201 of 590 Old 01-06-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutstain View Post

Glad you have your YSP in your hands finally. I am interested in the YSP 2200 mainly for using it with the 360 and the PS3, so please let us know how well it works for that.

Hey there, I used my 2200 with my Xbox 360 today. I think it sounds killer and the surround is pretty effective.
post #202 of 590 Old 01-06-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by td2243 View Post

Hey there, I used my 2200 with my Xbox 360 today. I think it sounds killer and the surround is pretty effective.

That's great to hear. Thanks. The left "wall"nod my living room are all windows. I'm wondering how the surround effect will be in a room like that.
post #203 of 590 Old 01-07-2011, 10:05 AM

Granted, I haven't had a home stereo for probably 7 years and before this soundbar, I had been using the TV speaker solely. It sounds 10x better than the TV speaker. I'm very pleased with this soundbar, but that's also taking into consideration the price (about $550 shipped to my home). It doesn't sound as big and full as a 5.1 speaker system, but I'm glad I bought it nonetheless. I totally understand why Davyo wasn't blown away.

My wife and I watched The Expendables last night and it more than did the job. I used to have a 5.1 setup, and it definitely sounded much fatter, but it also costs 3x as much if not more. Since we only live in a condo and hope to own a house someday, this soundbar is a reasonable alternative at a great price, without the need to drill holes or run wires everywhere. I think to sum it up, it comes down to physics. A bigger speaker will provide a bigger sound. The 2200 sounds bigger than it is, but doesn't sound as big as a giant speaker set-up, obviously. But for the simplicity and effectiveness, it is well worth the price I paid.
post #204 of 590 Old 01-07-2011, 01:15 PM

Hi there!

I'm so glad I tripped over this topic on AVS as I've been looking for info on this particular soundprojector ever since Yamaha started advertising for it. In fact, I have kept my eyes on their very first YSP-models since back then but "surround sound" never really caught my interest. Until now.

I already own a high-end stereo setup consisting of ATC active loudspeakers and Weiss Minerva DAC with Squeezebox Touch.

I'm not trading or compromising my stereo-setup for anything AND I still don't have interest in "real" surround sound as I don't want to have 5-7 speakers + long runs of wire all over the place.

The YSP-2200 sounds and looks like a compact and great semi-surround device although I'm really puzzled by the European prices as they run from €900-1000 for this set. Lucky Americans!

All I want is to enoy my blu-ray movies and games (through PS3), and to have some kind of surround experience.

Should I pick the YSP-2200 or can I settle with the much cheaper JVC and SONY alternatives?

Thanks
post #205 of 590 Old 01-07-2011, 02:53 PM

post #206 of 590 Old 01-07-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterDex View Post

Hi there!

I'm so glad I tripped over this topic on AVS as I've been looking for info on this particular soundprojector ever since Yamaha started advertising for it. In fact, I have kept my eyes on their very first YSP-models since back then but "surround sound" never really caught my interest. Until now.

I already own a high-end stereo setup consisting of ATC active loudspeakers and Weiss Minerva DAC with Squeezebox Touch.

I'm not trading or compromising my stereo-setup for anything AND I still don't have interest in "real" surround sound as I don't want to have 5-7 speakers + long runs of wire all over the place.

The YSP-2200 sounds and looks like a compact and great semi-surround device although I'm really puzzled by the European prices as they run from 900-1000 for this set. Lucky Americans!

All I want is to enoy my blu-ray movies and games (through PS3), and to have some kind of surround experience.

Should I pick the YSP-2200 or can I settle with the much cheaper JVC and SONY alternatives?

well people who have this bar are pleased that is SURE..but all of them agree that the 550$ is the price of this thing.
900 euros is like.....1300$....so all of the owners would probably tell you it's too much for the given sound. Davyo already stated that the JVC is the best price/quality option...
post #207 of 590 Old 01-08-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k View Post

well people who have this bar are pleased that is SURE..but all of them agree that the 550$ is the price of this thing.
900 euros is like.....1300$....so all of the owners would probably tell you it's too much for the given sound. Davyo already stated that the JVC is the best price/quality option...

$550 seems like the ideal price for this product, I agree. I'm just puzzled by the European price which is horrendously high.

Does anyone know if the amplifiers and decoders are built in the sub or in the bar itself?
post #208 of 590 Old 01-08-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterDex View Post

$550 seems like the ideal price for this product, I agree. I'm just puzzled by the European price which is horrendously high.

Does anyone know if the amplifiers and decoders are built in the sub or in the bar itself?

The YSP 2200 has the decoder and amp built into the bar, not the woofer.
post #209 of 590 Old 01-08-2011, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Davyo or others,

How would this bar stack up against other non powered bars such as the Polks, BA and maybe higher end stuff like Triad or Atlantic Tech...any ideas?

post #210 of 590 Old 01-11-2011, 01:03 PM

Does anyone know where to get the best deal on this thing in stock?
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page