Soundbar Placement Important? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-20-2010, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No room for a soundbar on bottom of HDTV. Is placing the soundbar on top of the HDTV too high? That'll make it 6-1/2 feet off the floor. The TV is high enough and I don't want it any higher.

I also have a pair of sweet music studio monitors, could i just get an audio amp and just drive those? I don't really need surround sound....just better sound than the flat screen's internal speakers.

Any ideas? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 01:44 AM

i have my soundbar (soundmatters slimstage 40) mounted above the TV-set. the soundbar is about 1.8m above the floor, it is not a problem, just be careful to aim it directly at you. the included wall-mount from slimstage is adjustable, so that i tilted it down.
you could of course also use music monitors to get a better sound, but you will need an amplifier and additional wiring, maybe better use powered speakers. i for example once just plugged in a bose sounddock portable to have a better sound, of course only a temporary solution, but the sound was much better than the internal tv-speakers.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by island boy View Post
No room for a soundbar on bottom of HDTV. Is placing the soundbar on top of the HDTV too high? That'll make it 6-1/2 feet off the floor. The TV is high enough and I don't want it any higher.

I also have a pair of sweet music studio monitors, could i just get an audio amp and just drive those? I don't really need surround sound....just better sound than the flat screen's internal speakers.

Any ideas? Thanks
Soundbars actually work better mounted up higher than lower,,,, 6 1/2 feet should be no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oluv View Post
i have my soundbar (soundmatters slimstage 40) mounted above the TV-set. the soundbar is about 1.8m above the floor, it is not a problem, just be careful to aim it directly at you. the included wall-mount from slimstage is adjustable, so that i tilted it down.
you could of course also use music monitors to get a better sound, but you will need an amplifier and additional wiring, maybe better use powered speakers. i for example once just plugged in a bose sounddock portable to have a better sound, of course only a temporary solution, but the sound was much better than the internal tv-speakers.
Aiming the soundbar at you is not really a good idea,, it can actually hurt the sound,,,, at 6 1/2 feet he will be fine with no tilting.
Soundbars are not directional and tilting a bar downwards towards you means the sound will get eaten up by carpet and furniture.
If a soundbar is up really high, then yes, "sometimes" tilting can help,, but in most case's it does more harm than good.

Ive been using soundbars for many years and have tried tilting them,,, it never sounded better the times I tried it.

Cheers
Davyo
Old 12-24-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

it should be noted that my flat screen in the picture is tilted down, the top about 5 inches from the wall...still wall mount the soundbar?
Old 12-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Soundbars actually work better mounted up higher than lower,,,,
Cheers
Davyo

Out of curiosity, what is the logic to this?

I'm still doing research/reading on sound bars and this doesn't jive with the usual tweeters at ear level standard.

Rob

ÂThe sheriff and his buddies with their samurai swords.....Â
Old 12-27-2010, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside View Post

Out of curiosity, what is the logic to this?

I'm still doing research/reading on sound bars and this doesn't jive with the usual tweeters at ear level standard.

Rob

The lower a soundbar is mounted the more the sound coming from the bar is eaten up by carpet, furniture, bodies ect.,,,,, the sound needs to reflect off walls for a soundbar to work its best.

Im not saying a bar is going to suck mounted lower, its just not going to sound as good unless its mounted at ear level or above.

In my many years as a soundbar junkie I have experimented with all my bars, mounting them higher and lower to see the differences,, with some bars the difference has been small and with some bars the difference was very very noticable,,,, but one thing was a constant, every bar always sounded better to some degree when mounted higher rather than lower.

Soundbars are greatly affected by room shape and mounting positions,, those are the 2 things that will make or break any bar.

I would urge anyone with a soundbar to experiment with placing their bar higher and lower to listen for differences.

Cheers
Davyo
Old 12-27-2010, 06:46 PM

I have a Panasonic soundbar that was blocking my 42" G25's remote sensor. I elevated the tv with a monitor table I found on Amazon. Now the soundbar fits under the the tv/stand combination & works gyeat. The table comes with interconnecting leg sections that allows you to elevate to the level you need. It cost around $20. on Amazon.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McLain View Post
I have a Panasonic soundbar that was blocking my 42" G25's remote sensor. I elevated the tv with a monitor table I found on Amazon. Now the soundbar fits under the the tv/stand combination & works gyeat. The table comes with interconnecting leg sections that allows you to elevate to the level you need. It cost around $20. on Amazon.
A better choice might have been to place the soundbar on top of your G25,,, soundbar's can be attached to the top bezel of a flat panel with a few strips of velcro, there are also soundbar mounting arms sold on Amazon for under $30.00 to mount a bar above your panel (if its on a table),, or above or below you panel if you panel is wall mounted.

Placing a soundbar below a TV on a table will reduce the quality of the sound coming from a soundbar.

Cheers
Davyo
Old 12-28-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

there are also soundbar mounting arms sold on Amazon for under $30.00 to mount a bar above your panel (if its on a table),,

Can you link to any of these soundbar mounting arms on amazon? The only one I am aware of is the universal one.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson777 View Post

Can you link to any of these soundbar mounting arms on amazon? The only one I am aware of is the universal one.

Thats the one I was referring to, the universal one on Amazon,,,, I guess I got the price wrong in my other post though.

http://www.amazon.com/Soundbar-Brack...3554972&sr=8-1

Cheers
Davyo