Fix for Vizio sound bar being unresponsive to remote - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By w0kie
  • 1 Post By dvroon

post #1 of 21 Old 12-23-2010, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If your Vizio sound bar is unresponsive to your Vizio sound bar remote just unplug the soundbar, count to ten and replug. This procedure solved my Vizio remote communication outage.
CGARNES likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-29-2014, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by w0kie View Post
If your Vizio sound bar is unresponsive to your Vizio sound bar remote just unplug the soundbar, count to ten and replug. This procedure solved my Vizio remote communication outage.
Thank you thank you thank you. You saved me a trip to Costco to return it!
CGARNES likes this.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-04-2015, 07:36 AM

Liked: 0
Thank you so much! You rock
post #4 of 21 Old 01-04-2015, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 44
post #5 of 21 Old 01-05-2015, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Did you leave the batteries in the remote when you did this? Stupid question, I know. I bought the 54" SW5451-C2 about a month ago, and I joined this forum pretty much just to help figure out this very issue.

I've already talked to Vizio a half dozen times, and they'd given me different variations on the following:

1) Unplug Soundbar
2) Hold soundbar power button for at least 30 seconds.
3) Remove batteries from remote
4) Hold remote power button for 30 seconds
5) Plug in soundbar
6) Put fresh batteries in the remote
7) Turn on soundbar using remote.

I've tried that so many different ways without success. I tried it with the subwoofer off, and with it on. I tried pressing every button for 30 seconds while unplugged/batteries removed. I tried leaving the batteries removed and bar unplugged for an hour.

Heck, I even both a 12 pack of AAAs just to rule out batteries.

The best I could ever manage was being able to turn the sound bar on ONCE and ONLY once after leaving it for an hour.. It was unresponsive after that.

So they sent me a new remote.

Same thing. I let them both sit for an hour, and best I could manage was being able to turn it on ONCE with unresponsiveness following that.

I also confirmed that both remotes were sending out a signal (looked at them through the facetime camera on my iPhone.)

But I don't think I tried leaving the batteries actually in the remote when removing power from the bar...

I'll need to try that once I get home from work. I'm really hoping its just some weird quirk I need to work through, and not a problem with the IR receiver, because I really don't want to have to deal with sending it back to Vizio for a replacement. I'm almost wishing I had filed for an exchange on Amazon back when I was still within the window.

Its a shame because the soundbar is awesome for what it is.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-31-2015, 06:25 PM

Liked: 10
This! Great solution thank you! Worked like a charm
post #7 of 21 Old 02-20-2015, 10:00 AM

This workaround will allow the remote to work for the time being but will not permanently resolve the problem. It will most likely occur again. Working with Vizio now on mine.

Rhys
post #8 of 21 Old 02-24-2015, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmcs View Post
Did you leave the batteries in the remote when you did this? Stupid question, I know. I bought the 54" SW5451-C2 about a month ago, and I joined this forum pretty much just to help figure out this very issue.....

Is your Soundbar trying to BlueTooth synch? The LEDs blink across the bar when you power it On. I accidentally invoked BT pairing and that killed the SB and the Remote. The only way to stop/fix the problem was to "BT pair with a device". Once paired, the SB was happy and everything was back to normal. Just an idea.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-01-2015, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 31
There's a firmware fix for this now. I'm going to try and update my S3821w-C0 today and see what happens.

https://support.vizio.com/product/s3821w-c0
post #10 of 21 Old 03-02-2015, 12:49 PM

Vizio SoundBar

Thankyou This Solution Worked For me As Well
post #11 of 21 Old 06-15-2015, 12:47 PM

Hi to all.

I have tried everything posted here. Even updated the firmware. Nothing works on my S3020w-C0. I chatted with someone on Vizio who guided me trough several troubleshooting steps and the soundbar would not respond to the remote. He just gave up and told me he had no other solution. I have a Logitech Harmony set up for all my stuff and it doesn't respond to it either. I am quite sure the problem is not the remote(s) but the soundbar itself. I turn it on manually but every time I have to adjust the volume I have to get up and walk to it, and there is no way to set the bass or the other levels. Mine is still under warranty but I live overseas and the costs of sending it back are higher than the soundbar's itself. This is very frustrating!
post #12 of 21 Old 08-06-2015, 12:41 PM

Typically unplugging my sound bar and plugging it back in will work to reconnect my remote with the sound bar. Just recently it did not and I thought that the remote needed new batteries. Changed them and nothing. So I contacted Vizio and while the answer was a little crazy it worked like a charm and I thought I would pass it along to save you a call.

1) Remove batteries from the remote.
2) Press each button on the remote individually while the batteries are removed.
3) Replace the batteries with new batteries.
4) Unplug the sound bar from the electrical outlet and hold the power button on the sound bar while it is unplugged.
5) Once all of the steps have been completed plug the sound bar back in and turn it on from your remote.
post #13 of 21 Old 08-27-2015, 06:26 PM

Vizio Soundbar Unresponsive Fix-

This happened to my husband & I. I looked up the original Instructions on how to set it up and found that the "Input" button needs to be held for three (3) seconds to find an audio input channel. (input 1/Input2) so that may cause the remote to not work if you accidentally push Input and then start pushing other buttons on clicker. I shut off Soundbar and restarted it. Hope this helps.
post #14 of 21 Old 11-28-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much! This was an immediate fix (after I spent too long using the manual that got me nowhere). I should have thought of this myself, but your post made my day! I tested I don't know how many batteries.
post #15 of 21 Old 11-28-2015, 11:40 AM

Red face Thank you! This was an instant fix!

Quote:
Thank you so much! This was an immediate fix (after I spent too long using the manual that got me nowhere). I should have thought of this myself, but your post made my day! I tested I don't know how many batteries.
post #16 of 21 Old 12-22-2015, 01:49 PM

Firmware update working so far

Thanks to djsketchie for pointing out the firmware update! That did the trick, or has so far. Hopefully it keeps working!

Unplugging my dad's s3821w-CO for 10 seconds and plugging in back in worked, but it only allowed us to turn the unit on then off once, before requiring another unplugging.
post #17 of 21 Old 12-23-2015, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a slightly different problem. My SB3821 will not turn on with my Vizio XVT473SV remote, even though the soundbar manual says it will and is the factory default. I also checked the soundbar and reset the optional setting for that feature, but still no joy. The sound bar does come on if I use the cable box remote to turn on the TV - both TV and soundbar come on.

My TV remote is bluetooth and the cable box remote is IR, so obviously the soundbar sees the IR signal, but is not getting the command over bluetooth. Maybe I need to pair the remote to the soundbar? I don't see any instructions for doing that in the soundbar manual.

One more observation is that the TV remote DOES control the soundbar volume.

Last edited by jjinatx; 12-24-2015 at 06:53 AM.
post #18 of 21 Old 01-31-2016, 11:45 AM

There is a different firmware update page now. No Page Found on your link.
post #19 of 21 Old 01-31-2016, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinatx View Post
I have a slightly different problem. My SB3821 will not turn on with my Vizio XVT473SV remote, even though the soundbar manual says it will and is the factory default. I also checked the soundbar and reset the optional setting for that feature, but still no joy. The sound bar does come on if I use the cable box remote to turn on the TV - both TV and soundbar come on.

My TV remote is bluetooth and the cable box remote is IR, so obviously the soundbar sees the IR signal, but is not getting the command over bluetooth. Maybe I need to pair the remote to the soundbar? I don't see any instructions for doing that in the soundbar manual.

One more observation is that the TV remote DOES control the soundbar volume.
If you keep the SB on in eco mode it should. My XVT bluetooth remote works, but I have to change the volume level to "wake up" the SB.
post #20 of 21 Old 05-14-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmcs View Post
Did you leave the batteries in the remote when you did this? Stupid question, I know. I bought the 54" SW5451-C2 about a month ago, and I joined this forum pretty much just to help figure out this very issue.

I've already talked to Vizio a half dozen times, and they'd given me different variations on the following:

1) Unplug Soundbar
2) Hold soundbar power button for at least 30 seconds.
3) Remove batteries from remote
4) Hold remote power button for 30 seconds
5) Plug in soundbar
6) Put fresh batteries in the remote
7) Turn on soundbar using remote.

I've tried that so many different ways without success. I tried it with the subwoofer off, and with it on. I tried pressing every button for 30 seconds while unplugged/batteries removed. I tried leaving the batteries removed and bar unplugged for an hour.

Heck, I even both a 12 pack of AAAs just to rule out batteries.

The best I could ever manage was being able to turn the sound bar on ONCE and ONLY once after leaving it for an hour.. It was unresponsive after that.

So they sent me a new remote.

Same thing. I let them both sit for an hour, and best I could manage was being able to turn it on ONCE with unresponsiveness following that.

I also confirmed that both remotes were sending out a signal (looked at them through the facetime camera on my iPhone.)

But I don't think I tried leaving the batteries actually in the remote when removing power from the bar...

I'll need to try that once I get home from work. I'm really hoping its just some weird quirk I need to work through, and not a problem with the IR receiver, because I really don't want to have to deal with sending it back to Vizio for a replacement. I'm almost wishing I had filed for an exchange on Amazon back when I was still within the window.

Did you find a solution to your problem? I have the same issue in my SB3821. It will not respond to the remote even after I tried all the options suggested in this thread to no avail. I know the remote is sending IR signals because I checked using the camera in my cell phone. Thanks.
post #21 of 21 Old 05-14-2016, 10:40 AM

Did you find a solution to your problem? I have the same issue in my SB3821. It will not respond to the remote even after I tried all the options suggested in this thread to no avail. I know the remote is sending IR signals because I checked using the camera in my cell phone. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars