Help with Sound bar options with optical in that learn remote codes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-13-2011, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to get a decent soundbar for a medium sized bedroom. I have the following components:

TV - LG 32LE5400
XBox 360
PS3
AcerAspireRevo With XBMC
Mac Mini

All are hooked up to the TV and I use the TV to switch inputs and it works great. The only problem with the TV is that it's speakers are terrible, much worse than the Samsung 26" TV that I had before the LG.

So in looking around, I have pretty much decided on the Boston Acoustics TVeeM20B sound bar with wireless sub-woofer. I picked this because the TV has optical out that can feed directly to the sound bar, I can use my existing directTV remote to control the volume (since it learns your existing remote), the TV has the ability to turn off it's internal speakers, and because it has a wireless sub-woofer I can put anywhere in the room.

It seems like a good fit, and the prices on it are dropping on many of the sites like Amazon, so I can get a pretty good deal on it.

My question is, will I be happy with it. I don't see people talking much about it in the forums and wonder what owners of it think. The amazon reviews are pretty good. Will it work okay with the optical out of the TV (using the TV as my main "switcher")? Does it learn remotes well? Any gotchas I haven't considered?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-13-2011, 09:37 PM

Liked: 11
Hi jkelling, if you check owner reviews on Amazon, BB, etc. you will read comments complaining about the analog only connections on the BA TVee20. If your TV has only optical connection, this is probably not the way to go. The Polk 3000 costs a bit more, has optical, but like the BA will allow you to program another remote and still use your TV as the switcher. However, if you need to adjust the wireless sub, you will need to use the Polk remote to do so. Suggest you check them out (and others) in person before making a decision.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-13-2011, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrope View Post

Hi jkelling, if you check owner reviews on Amazon, BB, etc. you will read comments complaining about the analog only connections on the BA TVee20. If your TV has only optical connection, this is probably not the way to go. The Polk 3000 costs a bit more, has optical, but like the BA will allow you to program another remote and still use your TV as the switcher. However, if you need to adjust the wireless sub, you will need to use the Polk remote to do so. Suggest you check them out (and others) in person before making a decision.

Thanks for straightening me out. I was sure the Ba had optical in, and after checking, I found I was definately wrong. So the polk fit's my needs (although it's a little more expensive). How does it sound? Do you know of other options as well as the polk that may be less expensive but can still learn my remote and works with optical (or my directTV remote can be programmed to control with the switch set in TV mode)?
post #4 of 6 Old 01-13-2011, 10:25 PM

I played with the 3000 along with all the others at BB some time ago. Sadly, in the big stores all the soundbars sound pretty much the same.

I have an older Polk soundbar, which is analog and very similar to the BA for use in a bedroom. Am quite satisfied with it. I suggested the Polk 3000 because it offers the simplicity you're looking for. You may want to ask around in the Sony soundbar thread. The htct150 is in your price range, and someone may be able to help you there. Perhaps even the Samsung 450. Happy hunting.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-14-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Since you are looking for simplicity and it sounds as if you intend to have only the single optical connection between the TV and Soundbar, the JVC TH-BA1 as well as the Vizio VHT 210 should probably be on your list. Along with the Sony, these are pretty much the consensus for good sound at a reasonable price.

David Freeman
post #6 of 6 Old 01-15-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelling View Post

I don't see people talking much about it in the forums and wonder what owners of it think.

Well, this is avsforum after all. People here like to tinker with their toys. The BA and Polks allow anyone who can press the volume and mute buttons on a remote total command of the soundbar. Set the gain switch on the soundbar, and the dial on the sub and was done. Never touch them now. The lack of more audio controls is considered a weakness by many, but is exactly why I bought mine. There are several great soundbars as the other poster mentioned. In another room I'd probably purchase one of them - along with a universal remote.

My soundbar is connected to a TV without a stp, so I use my original TV remote for everything save the disc player. The remote is placed in my night stand drawer until needed. TV is the switcher. Simple! Two years later and I'd still go with this type of system for a bedroom. Only improvement I'd want is an optical connection to keep up with the times.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page