Unable to have Sound go from the TV (Philips LCD) to Soundbar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-27-2011, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. I have a Philips LCD TV (47PF9441D/37) and a Vizio VSB200 soundbar. I am very happy with the setup and love the sound. I have been able to connect my Blu-Ray, cable box, and Roku directly to the soudbar without a problem.

I recently decided that I wanted the sound to come directly from my LCD. To do this, i purchased a converter (http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Coax.../dp/B0002J2MV4) that allows me to go from digital coaxial to digital optical since the back of the set only has a digital coaxial out and the soundbar only takes an optical input.

I hooked up the cable from my TV to the box, plugged in the box, and connected the optical cable to the soundbar.

I can't get the sound to come out of the soundbar from any of my devices. instead, it continues to come out of the set.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-28-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
You probably need to enter your setup menu and turn the internal speakers off, set to Home Theater or something similar. Also, if your TV has a choice of Stereo or PCM the TV use that setting as the Vizio can not handle 5.1 unless PCM.

David Freeman
post #3 of 14 Old 01-30-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesbell74 View Post

Hi everyone. I have a Philips LCD TV (47PF9441D/37) and a Vizio VSB200 soundbar. I am very happy with the setup and love the sound. I have been able to connect my Blu-Ray, cable box, and Roku directly to the soudbar without a problem.

I recently decided that I wanted the sound to come directly from my LCD. To do this, i purchased a converter that allows me to go from digital coaxial to digital optical since the back of the set only has a digital coaxial out and the soundbar only takes an optical input.

I hooked up the cable from my TV to the box, plugged in the box, and connected the optical cable to the soundbar.

I can't get the sound to come out of the soundbar from any of my devices. instead, it continues to come out of the set.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Charles

Charles,

Were you able to get this issue fixed? I think I have a similiar issue with the Philips LCD I bought Saturday. With my Vizio LCD the TV controlled all my audio to the Vizio soundbar but as with you my new Philips as only digital coax OUT. I'm tempted to take the TV back if I can't get it to work the way I want it to.

Thanks
post #4 of 14 Old 01-31-2011, 07:27 AM

I also have a Phillips LCD TV and it has only the digital coax as an Audio Out option. The sound bars I have been looking at have usually at least 2 optical inputs so I have not considered this a big issue. At the same time it might be easier to run everything through the TV and only use 1 input. Also it would use less wires.

Please let us know what you found out. I don't recall seeing a menu option to turn off the speakers on my Phillips TV. I would think that you would just have to lower the volumn all the way.

Clayton
post #5 of 14 Old 01-31-2011, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

You probably need to enter your setup menu and turn the internal speakers off, set to Home Theater or something similar. Also, if your TV has a choice of Stereo or PCM the TV use that setting as the Vizio can not handle 5.1 unless PCM.

Thanks for the reply. I have looked through the manual and the menus and can't seem to turn off the internal speakers. My set also doesn't offer a PCM/Stereo option. :-(

Am I stuck with having to buy an optical switcher?
post #6 of 14 Old 01-31-2011, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDavid View Post

Charles,

Were you able to get this issue fixed? I think I have a similiar issue with the Philips LCD I bought Saturday. With my Vizio LCD the TV controlled all my audio to the Vizio soundbar but as with you my new Philips as only digital coax OUT. I'm tempted to take the TV back if I can't get it to work the way I want it to.

Thanks

So far, I haven't had any luck. I tried with different devices (cable box and blu-ray player) to see if that would help. Alas, it did not make a difference.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-31-2011, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoses View Post

I also have a Phillips LCD TV and it has only the digital coax as an Audio Out option. The sound bars I have been looking at have usually at least 2 optical inputs so I have not considered this a big issue. At the same time it might be easier to run everything through the TV and only use 1 input. Also it would use less wires.

Please let us know what you found out. I don't recall seeing a menu option to turn off the speakers on my Phillips TV. I would think that you would just have to lower the volumn all the way.

Clayton

I tried lowering the volume all the way and that did not make a difference.

Maybe the audio output options on the back are there just for show??
post #8 of 14 Old 01-31-2011, 11:44 PM

Well I ordered the device you referenced today (Monday) and should have it Tuesday. I'll report back here how it works with my Philips TV. If it doesn't I'm afraid the TV will go back for a different one.

Thanks
David
post #9 of 14 Old 02-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesbell74 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have looked through the manual and the menus and can't seem to turn off the internal speakers. My set also doesn't offer a PCM/Stereo option. :-(

Am I stuck with having to buy an optical switcher?
I recently bought a little 19" Phillips el cheapo LCD and even that has the option to turn off the internal speakers. I hooked it up to PC speakers via the headphone jack.

Never signs up for anything
post #10 of 14 Old 02-01-2011, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
I went to Phillips web site and looked up the 47PF9441D/3.

The illustration with the owner's manual shows analog audio output on the rear of the TV next to the digital coax. Not sure if this is correct or not. If correct, you solve all of your problems with a pair of analog RCA cables from TV to the analog input on the soundbar.

I also found under the menu the following that may work for digital

Select

TV Menu
Select TV Settings
Select Sound

From here I am making guesses as the manual does not show what the selections might be

Select

Volume - see if there is an option here to turn the volume OFF or redirect all volume functions to the external ouuputs.
Select Auto Surround - see if there is a setting to either turn surround off or select 2-ch or Dolby 2-ch
If none of these selections work, my guess is the two devices are not going to be at all compatible.

David Freeman
post #11 of 14 Old 02-01-2011, 02:19 PM

Well evidently due to the great North Texas blizzard, I'm not getting my item today. So FML me for going with next day delivery yesterday.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-22-2012, 10:04 PM

you are correct the Phillips does NOT have any output for audio except for an orange digital out component cable.

http://www.usa.philips.com/c/televisions/5000-series-102cm-40-inch-class-full-hd-1080p-digital-tv-40pfl5505d_f7/prd/en/?t=specifications

the above link is to phillips specs page.
they also say that all those pretty connectors on the back and side of the TV are for INPUT not output.

so.... if you really want a sound system to complete this truly amazing tv and I am not kidding the picture quality is incredible, you will need to buy a home theatre system or a sounds bar with an HDMI connector.

Hope this helps as I have just come to realise this myself and will be buying a better soundbar than the Vizio one that I bought on sale and am now returning
Roty:).
post #13 of 14 Old 12-08-2013, 12:06 PM

I had the same problem with my Philips TV and a "iLIVE" sound bar. I plugged the red and white leads from the sound bar to the red and white leads on the back of the Comcast cable box audio "video/audio left/audio right". It worked. I had to manually turn down the TV volume.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-20-2014, 03:08 PM

I have a Philips 42PFL5603D/27 that has Red/White "RCA" outputs on it and a Vizio SD200 Soundbar with red/white inputs and SPDIF input.  I currently run my Direct box into my Xbox One via HDMI, and out of the xbox one to the tv via HDMI.  The Xbox One also has a SPDIF output on it.  When connecting the Red/white from TV to Soundbar, nothing happens.  I don't have any options in my TV menu to turn off the Internal speakers, or to switch to external, etc.  If I buy an SPDIF cable and run it from the Xbox to the Soundbar....will that effectively bypass the TV sound altogether since this Piece of junk apparently put those Audio outputs on the back to take up space?  Or does someone else have a better suggestion?  Thanks. 

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Vizio Vsb200 Universal Hd Sound Bar
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page