There are a number of similar threads out there, but I'm not entirely clear how to hook up a system consisting of a TV, AppleTV, amplifier, and soundbar. If a receiver was subbed in for the amplifier, I would be able to hook everything using HDMI. I haven't ruled out a receiver, but I wouldn't be using most of its features.
Here's what I'm looking for:
- Amplifier or Receiver + soundbar for about $1000
- Mostly listen to music, but will be used with TV as well
- For a good size bedroom
- Would prefer to not get separate sub (this is mostly for music, but also some tv/movie watching)
- Somewhat limited on space -- I have built a drawer unit that is under the TV and the space is 6" tall, 49" wide, and about 20" deep -- this mostly limits receivers that will fit, but there are some out there b/c the soundbars are fairly thin and i could use an IR passthrough if needed so that it sits behind the soundbar
- Would like to control just about everything from iPhone/iPod
I have considered a Yamaha or ZVOX type powered soundbar, but it seems like those aren't as good for music and are mostly focused on improving TV sound. If that is the best option, I'm open to suggestions for the best unit under $1000.
I am very intrigued by units like the Russound R35LS and Parasound ZAmp -- in particular, I like their ability to essentially turn themselves off when there is no signal (I like the idea of just setting it up, and never having to touch it again). The main thing that I'm not clear on is how I would connect the cable box, AppleTV, TV, and amplifier together based on the limited connections of the amplifier. I would like to connect everything using HDMI cables, but I'm not sure that's realistic if going the amplifier route.
The Marantz NR1501 is a receiver that would fit my space. However, I would prefer to spend less on the "amplification" of the sound so that I can spend more on the speakers.
Speakers that have looked interesting from other posts are:
- Definitive Technology Mythos SSA-42 (the SSA-3 coming out in 2011 looks good, but will it be out soon? any ideas on price?)
- Monitor Audio R one HD
- Paradigm Millenia 20 Trio
- Pinnacle QP 7
- saw really good things said about TruAudio and PhaseTech, but it looks like I would have to go through an installer to get those brands, and I would prefer to do it myself.
If I have to go over $1000 a bit, that's fine... just would like to keep it close b/c I'll need budget to get the TV as well!
I would appreciate any advice anyone has! Hoping to make the purchase sometime this week.