Sony HT-CT550W?? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-19-2011, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys ...just copied a post I put in another forum on here and hoping to get some feedback...

Hey guys..first post...go easy :0

Just moving and have decided that a sound bar is the way Im going to go.

My electronic arsenal includes a 3d projector, a PS3, and a purpose built gaming PC.

1. My question is should it be the CT150 or the CT550 ? (Im pretty sure it will be the 550)

2. What would be connection sequence so that the sound from the computer and PS3 come through the CT150/CT550 ? Would I connect everything to the CT 150/550 and then the CT to the projector.

Any advice would be appreciated as you can probably tell this is not my area of expertise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKop View Post

Hey guys ...just copied a post I put in another forum on here and hoping to get some feedback...

Hey guys..first post...go easy :0

Just moving and have decided that a sound bar is the way Im going to go.

My electronic arsenal includes a 3d projector, a PS3, and a purpose built gaming PC.

1. My question is should it be the CT150 or the CT550 ? (Im pretty sure it will be the 550)

2. What would be connection sequence so that the sound from the computer and PS3 come through the CT150/CT550 ? Would I connect everything to the CT 150/550 and then the CT to the projector.

Any advice would be appreciated as you can probably tell this is not my area of expertise.

1. I went with the 550 because I didnt like the idea of having to point at the subwoofer to control the 150 but both are great from what ive researched and heard.

2. Everything would plug into the 150/550 which will act as your receiver with one output to you projector.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:05 PM

Hopefully someone can help me with this. My CT550 works great with sat/catv and the blue ray player. I have an LG television which is directly connected to the internet via a home network. If I try to watch a movie through CinemaNow, I have the picture but I still have the sound from my sat system. How do I eliminate the sat/catv sound and obtain the CinemaNow sound? I hope I explained my problem well enough.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exec44 View Post

Hopefully someone can help me with this. My CT550 works great with sat/catv and the blue ray player. I have an LG television which is directly connected to the internet via a home network. If I try to watch a movie through CinemaNow, I have the picture but I still have the sound from my sat system. How do I eliminate the sat/catv sound and obtain the CinemaNow sound? I hope I explained my problem well enough.

Did you try the TV button on the remote?
Old 12-21-2011, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
^^^
Also, if the TV has ARC, did you turn ARC on on the CT550W? If the TV doesn't have ARC, did you connect an optical cable to the soundbar?
Old 12-21-2011, 06:49 PM

Yes, I tried the TV button. I was wondering if its necessary to use the digital optical cord to get the sound from CinemaNow and any other network video such as Netflix, Youtube, etc.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:50 PM

No ARC that I am aware so I will try the optical cable and see if that works. Thanks for the assistance.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:00 PM

That did it Possumgirl....thanks again.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:09 PM

Liked: 12
I'm looking for a sound system for my daughter room Shes 18 yrs old senior in high school . 10x 12 size . She has a 32 lcd dynex and a basic dvd player with rca hook ups
these are at best buy
I'm looking at this Sony - 1000W 5.1-Ch. 3D/Wi-Fi Blu-ray Home Theater System
Model: BDVE280 for $ 245 or this sound bar system HTCT550W sound bar for $299
Need help on this ?
Thank you
Old 12-22-2011, 10:25 PM

What would be the best set-up (wiring) for:
Samsung UN55C6400
Playstation 3
Wii
ATT uverse box
Old 12-24-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infofrog View Post

I'm looking for a sound system for my daughter room Shes 18 yrs old senior in high school . 10x 12 size . She has a 32 lcd dynex and a basic dvd player with rca hook ups
these are at best buy
I'm looking at this Sony - 1000W 5.1-Ch. 3D/Wi-Fi Blu-ray Home Theater System
Model: BDVE280 for $ 245 or this sound bar system HTCT550W sound bar for $299
Need help on this ?
Thank you

Go with the sound bar. Ten years ago when I was 18 I had a sony 5.1 system in my room. Then back when the Sony CT-100 sound bar came out I sold the 5.1 and bought the CT-100. I never regretted going to a sound bar once. I now have the Sony CT-500 (not made any more) and love it. I just bought a house last month and still love the sound bar even when in a much bigger room. I think she will love the 550W.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:25 PM

My son has an older 32" Phillips flat screen without an optical port. What is the best way to connect the TV to the CT550W?
Old 12-25-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twk55 View Post

My son has an older 32" Phillips flat screen without an optical port. What is the best way to connect the TV to the CT550W?

Need more information. Does the TV have HDMI? What components does your son need to connect and do they have HDMI out? If everything has HDMI and is connected to the CT550W you wouldn't need to use audio out from TV unless he uses the TV tuner. What audio out does the TV have?
Old 12-25-2011, 01:53 PM

XBox and Blueray DVD will be connected. All have HDMI ports including the tv. Which port would I use on the soundbar controller to the tv/
Old 12-25-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twk55 View Post

XBox and Blueray DVD will be connected. All have HDMI ports including the tv. Which port would I use on the soundbar controller to the tv/

The CT550W has three HDMI in ports (where the xbox and BD player would connect). Then you run one HDMI cable from the HDMI out port on the CT550W to HDMI in on the TV. That's all there is to it.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:46 PM

Thanks Possumgirl. Works perfectly!
Old 12-26-2011, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
is the soundbar better on top or bottom of tv
Old 12-29-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb48 View Post

is the soundbar better on top or bottom of tv

That is going to depend on your setup. Try both and see which sounds best to you.

Mine is setup under but it out in the open and not in a cabinet and my tv stand is a good 3.5 feet off the ground and it sounds awesome. Every room/setup is different though
Old 12-30-2011, 01:03 AM

I thought I had my mind made up with the Sony HC-CT150 $209.99 at my local BB but I found the Sony HC-CT550W for $259.00 shipped at amazon. Is that a good price? What unit does a better job and more user friendly? My TV is older its a LG 52LBX it doesn't support ARC my BD player is a Samsung BD-D5700 I have a Comcast DCX3400 HD DVR/Receiver all hooked up via HDMI. I've been told that I don't need high speed HDMI cables to hook this up because my TV doesn't support ARC and it's not an 3-D TV. I also been told that I won't need to use the optical cable because everything in connected via HDMI is all this correct. My room is 20 feet long by 14 feet wide. It's not a perfect rectangle I just measured it at it's widest point. I don't know how much that matters. thanks for in input you can give me. Have a safe New Year.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock1975 View Post

I thought I had my mind made up with the Sony HC-CT150 $209.99 at my local BB but I found the Sony HC-CT550W for $259.00 shipped at amazon. Is that a good price? What unit does a better job and more user friendly? My TV is older its a LG 52LBX it doesn't support ARC my BD player is a Samsung BD-D5700 I have a Comcast DCX3400 HD DVR/Receiver all hooked up via HDMI. I've been told that I don't need high speed HDMI cables to hook this up because my TV doesn't support ARC and it's not an 3-D TV. I also been told that I won't need to use the optical cable because everything in connected via HDMI is all this correct. My room is 20 feet long by 14 feet wide. It's not a perfect rectangle I just measured it at it's widest point. I don't know how much that matters. thanks for in input you can give me. Have a safe New Year.

glock: I haven't seen any detailed comparison's between the two systems. However, if you take a few minutes to scan this forum you will see a few comments/opinions. Likewise you can use the "Search this Thread" command on this forum and search for "150" ( see top right just under Page 1 of 10 for the "Search" function)

Might be worth your time to try both in your home environment and return the one you you don't want. I think both BB and Amazon have pretty good return policies.

LB
Old 12-30-2011, 08:23 AM

I'm looking at the Ct 550 but also looking at the CT 150. I'm looking to hook it up to my Sony HX 820. Can some recommend what bar to purchase?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:45 AM

I purchased the 550 just before Christmas and have really enjoyed it. It has greatly enhanced the sound over my TV speakers. I used the suggested settings from this thread and I am very pleased with the sound quality. I would highly recommend this sound bar to anyone looking.

I have my DirecTv receiver and my Samsung Blu-Ray both hooked up through the HDMI connctions. I am using the HDMI output from the Sony receiver unit to connect to my Phillips TV HDMI 1 and I am using a SPDIF to go from the TV output to the digital input on the Sony receiver.

There are 2 things I have noticed and I was hoping that I might get some thoughts on the issues from the people here.

1. I do not always have the soundbar on, I watch some TV through the TV speakers. I am mainly using the soundbar for sports, some TV movies and of course the Blu-Ray. When I first turn on the soundbar, it takes about 20-25 seconds for the sound to start coming out of the speakers. I assume this is delayed because the signal needs to be processed and this is the receiver catching up. Once the sounds starts it is fine and I never have any issues. Is this normal?

2. My Phillips TV has an option for balancing the sound between a TV show and a commercial. It makes it so the commercials are not as loud. I have the option on and it worked fine prior to hooking up the soundbar. I still have it on, but when playing TV through the soundbar I am getting the louder commercials. I assume this is because I am going through the Sony receiver first and not through the TV. Is there any way around this?

Thanks
Old 01-02-2012, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoses View Post

When I first turn on the soundbar, it takes about 20-25 seconds for the sound to start coming out of the speakers. I assume this is delayed because the signal needs to be processed and this is the receiver catching up. Once the sounds starts it is fine and I never have any issues. Is this normal?

20-25 secs sounds like a really long time. When I turn my system on there is a bit of a delay while the TV (Sony) switches from internal speakers to the sound bar (it actually displays a message on the screen saying it's doing so), but the whole process takes around 5 seconds I'd say.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 w/ Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
Old 01-05-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

Here's what worked for my set up:

Recommendations:

1. Use high-speed HDMI cables only (1.4 HDMI) through your ARC HDMI port on your TV
2. Set your video/audio source E.g. Blu-ray player, PS3 Slim etc. to "bitstream" for Audio Digital Out (turn-off Linear PCM) Note:this does not apply to PS3 Fat leave that in LPCM mode
3. Turn off your TV speakers (use only the sound bar and SW--else you might get a "hollow" sound)

My current HT-CT550W settings that seem to make the biggest difference:

AMP Menu
Level: CNT +4, SW +6
Tone: Bass +5 or 6, Treble +3
Audio: Dual Mono: Main? ( I am still deciding)

Other settings:

DRC-Off

Sound Field: Movie

Note: For really BIG sound--try increasing the master volume +15 on the Receiver (independently) before you sync the TV volume with the Receiver Volume

Let me know what you think

Hi LBJ2...

Well, I took the plunge and picked up the 550W, and so far I am thinking I made a bad choice. But, based on yours and a lot of other recommendations from this thread, I am wondering if/hoping I am doing something wrong.

I am really only getting strong output from the bar itself, with the sub producing very little sound, just like the set-up I heard at Best Buy. I feel like the treble rebel right now, with a very non-pleasing, tunnel-like sound coming from this system. Based on several reviews I had read ahead of time, it seems this system takes some tweaking to get it right, so I am holding on to hope for better results, because right now my sound is far from the "room shaking" sound you seem to be getting.

A bit about my set-up:

- TV: KDL-52XBR9 (no ARC)
- Blu-Ray Player: BDP-N460
- Time Warner Cable High Def Box
- Nintendo Wii
- High Speed HDMI Cables going from Cable Box and Blu-Ray player to back of TV
- Optical audio cable from back of TV to 550W receiver
- Using your Amp settings
- 16x16 Family Room with 8 ft. ceilings

Questions I am really hoping you might be able to answer:

1) I think I already know the answer, but does it matter at all that this system is designed for a 3D TV, but mine is not?
2) Is there a way to get the most out of this system while leaving the TV speakers as an option for when we don't need the extra sound? This is why I hooked it up the way I did.
3) Any idea how to change my bitmap/linear PCM settings on my Blu Ray player? After digging through the audio menu options, I didn't see those options. Also couldn't find a DRC option if that matters?
4) Any other suggestions?

Sorry to bother you with this stuff, but you seems like the resident expert on this system, and I really want it to work. I was hoping this would be the simple replacement for an older Bose system, but so far it is anything but simple.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayU18 View Post

Hi LBJ2...

Well, I took the plunge and picked up the 550W, and so far I am thinking I made a bad choice. But, based on yours and a lot of other recommendations from this thread, I am wondering if/hoping I am doing something wrong.

I am really only getting strong output from the bar itself, with the sub producing very little sound, just like the set-up I heard at Best Buy. I feel like the treble rebel right now, with a very non-pleasing, tunnel-like sound coming from this system. Based on several reviews I had read ahead of time, it seems this system takes some tweaking to get it right, so I am holding on to hope for better results, because right now my sound is far from the "room shaking" sound you seem to be getting.

A bit about my set-up:

- TV: KDL-52XBR9 (no ARC)
- Blu-Ray Player: BDP-N460
- Time Warner Cable High Def Box
- Nintendo Wii
- High Speed HDMI Cables going from Cable Box and Blu-Ray player to back of TV
- Optical audio cable from back of TV to 550W receiver
- Using your Amp settings
- 16x16 Family Room with 8 ft. ceilings

Questions I am really hoping you might be able to answer:

1) I think I already know the answer, but does it matter at all that this system is designed for a 3D TV, but mine is not?
2) Is there a way to get the most out of this system while leaving the TV speakers as an option for when we don't need the extra sound? This is why I hooked it up the way I did.
3) Any idea how to change my bitmap/linear PCM settings on my Blu Ray player? After digging through the audio menu options, I didn't see those options. Also couldn't find a DRC option if that matters?
4) Any other suggestions?

Sorry to bother you with this stuff, but you seems like the resident expert on this system, and I really want it to work. I was hoping this would be the simple replacement for an older Bose system, but so far it is anything but simple.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

No expert here--just someone who likes to tinker

Okay--lets give this a try. Thanks for providing the details--let's focus on the sound quality first and see what can be done there. So lets keep it simple for now and use just a few components the TV, Bluray Player, Cable Box and the 550W and since your TV doesn't support ARC let's try:

Connections:
1.Connect Optical cord from TV to the Optical TV IN on the 550W and connect the HDMI cable from the TV IN to the 550W TV OUT also marked (ARC)
2.Using the HDMI cables connect the Bluray and Cable Box HDMI OUT directly to the 550W Receiver's BD/DVD IN and SAT/CATV IN ( Your current configuration has these devices going through the TV instead of the 550W which may be the problem)

( See page 16 in the 550W manual for illustration)

Settings:
1. Set the "speakers" on the TV (probably in the sound menu) to use "external speakers" (turn-off the TV speakers)
2. Use my suggested 550W AMP settings to include setting the master volume on the 550W between +10, +15 ( this is pretty loud) (Level: CNT +4, SW +6 and Tone: Bass +5 or 6, Treble +3) and the Movie Sound Field.
3. Set the Audio Out on your Cable Box to '"Dolby Digital"
4. Try leaving the 550W AMP MENU Audio setting set to AUTO first. (but you may need to set the 550W AMP MENU Audio setting to OPT)

Placement of the SW:
(The SW on this unit is very capable; can really boom loud deep bass...
1. The SW should not be buried in a cabinet or stuck behind furniture
2. The SW should display a green light on the front when powered on ( a red light indicates the wireless connection to the Receiver is not connected)

Test:
1. With the above: best to use a bluray disk to test the sound with either Dolby Digital or DTS from the Bluray

Let me know if you hear any improvement...

LB
Old 01-06-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

No expert here--just someone who likes to tinker

Okay--lets give this a try. Thanks for providing the details--let's focus on the sound quality first and see what can be done there. So lets keep it simple for now and use just a few components the TV, Bluray Player, Cable Box and the 550W and since your TV doesn't support ARC let's try:

Connections:
1.Connect Optical cord from TV to the Optical TV IN on the 550W and connect the HDMI cable from the TV IN to the 550W TV OUT also marked (ARC)
2.Using the HDMI cables connect the Bluray and Cable Box HDMI OUT directly to the 550W Receiver's BD/DVD IN and SAT/CATV IN ( Your current configuration has these devices going through the TV instead of the 550W which may be the problem)

( See page 16 in the 550W manual for illustration)

Settings:
1. Set the "speakers" on the TV (probably in the sound menu) to use "external speakers" (turn-off the TV speakers)
2. Use my suggested 550W AMP settings to include setting the master volume on the 550W between +10, +15 ( this is pretty loud) (Level: CNT +4, SW +6 and Tone: Bass +5 or 6, Treble +3) and the Movie Sound Field.
3. Set the Audio Out on your Cable Box to '"Dolby Digital"
4. Try leaving the 550W AMP MENU Audio setting set to AUTO first. (but you may need to set the 550W AMP MENU Audio setting to OPT)

Placement of the SW:
(The SW on this unit is very capable; can really boom loud deep bass...
1. The SW should not be buried in a cabinet or stuck behind furniture
2. The SW should display a green light on the front when powered on ( a red light indicates the wireless connection to the Receiver is not connected)

Test:
1. With the above: best to use a bluray disk to test the sound with either Dolby Digital or DTS from the Bluray

Let me know if you hear any improvement...

Hi,

Thank you very much for your quick and detailed reply. I have rearranged the cables and I am getting much better sound. I do still have a couple of questions...

I finally have the sound quality that I was hoping for, but the controls are a mess. When I turn the TV off and then back on, my Blu-Ray player turns on automatically, and the sound from the system automatically switches to the b/r player. So, I change the input on the system back to SAT, and the TV speakers automatically turn back on, even though they were off before, and I only get sound from my TV speakers while the system says "muting". Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I am usually pretty good at this type of stuff.

Oh, and I picked up two of these systems at a great price in hopes of using one in our family room, and one in our basement. The family room is directly above the TV room in the basement...do you think the wireless sub in the basement will produce sound when we are using the system in the family room. Or even worse, when both tv's are in use, will there be interference. If so, I think I may have to get rid of one or both of these and opt for a setup with a wired sub.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayU18 View Post

Hi,

Thank you very much for your quick and detailed reply. I have rearranged the cables and I am getting much better sound. I do still have a couple of questions...

I finally have the sound quality that I was hoping for, but the controls are a mess. When I turn the TV off and then back on, my Blu-Ray player turns on automatically, and the sound from the system automatically switches to the b/r player. So, I change the input on the system back to SAT, and the TV speakers automatically turn back on, even though they were off before, and I only get sound from my TV speakers while the system says "muting". Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I am usually pretty good at this type of stuff.

Oh, and I picked up two of these systems at a great price in hopes of using one in our family room, and one in our basement. The family room is directly above the TV room in the basement...do you think the wireless sub in the basement will produce sound when we are using the system in the family room. Or even worse, when both tv's are in use, will there be interference. If so, I think I may have to get rid of one or both of these and opt for a setup with a wired sub.

Glad you were able to get the sound where you like it!

For your connections issues:

Make sure you've got your device's HDMI cables connected to the correct HDMI inputs on the 550w. E.g., Bluray Player to BD/DVD IN on the 550w and the Optical from the TV to the connected to the TV IN on the 550W etc. and then read over the Bravia Sync feature of the manual ( P.20-21 and p.23) Since you have a Sony TV make sure you have the Control for HDMI function turned-on in the XBR9 TV menu then follow steps 1-4 on p 20 and 21 "Preparing for Bravia Sync". If this doesn't help then you will have to set the Control for HDMI function manually on the 550W--by turning on the "SET HDMI" to ON in the AMP menu on the 550W ( p.21 steps 1-7) (Side note: I've noticed that if I am changing around the HDMI cables too much while the units are powered on sometimes the components don't work correctly--this happens with my Sony 550W and my high-end Denon Receiver. If this is the case then just power everything off, unplug the HDMI cables then plug everything back in and power-up--this normally clears any such issues)

Note: If ever you don't want to use the Sound bar speakers while viewing TV --simply turn-off the 550W and the TV will automatically switch back to TV speakers.

Interference with two systems. I don't think you will have a problem with this. When you set up the second system make sure you have the first system powered on as well---this is because the 550W will automatically select the best channel for transmission when you set up the second unit. However, if you do have problems with the two sharing the same frequency then you can manually change the RF channels on one of the systems ( see page 39 "Setting the frequency for the wireless system") You have three channels to work with follow the steps on page 39 under "Activating wireless transmissions between specific units" steps 1-5.

"
Any idea how to change my bitmap/linear PCM settings on my Blu Ray player"--This can be difficult to find because each BD device seems to go about this differently. On my Sony BD player I had to set the "BD Audio Mix" to off to output Bitstream instead of PCM. (You might have to check your particular player's manual to see how to do this) Note--if you choose this option you will lose the secondary sound effects on the Bluray menus--meaning you will not hear the sound effects ( Beeps) while scrolling through the Bluray menu. However, when set to “bitstream” full DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD signal is output to the 550W to perform the decoding instead of the player--for me resulting in a much better sound experience and you'll now see the exact audio formats displayed on the 550W front panel when playing a bluray as well. (If you only see the LPCM audio format displayed on the 550W then you are still outputting PCM from the player)

LB
Old 01-07-2012, 09:56 AM

I picked up this system couple of weeks ago and have it setup the way I like it with Bravia led. What I was wondering is if I can hook up "better" speakers on both side of the tv and eliminate the bar. I would cut the cable coming from the control box and hook up left and right channel to on wall or in wall speakers. What you guys think?

Also, I have the sub about 15' away behind my dining table on a very small stool (about 8" off the ground). Is this position ideal?
Old 01-07-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel916 View Post

I picked up this system couple of weeks ago and have it setup the way I like it with Bravia led. What I was wondering is if I can hook up "better" speakers on both side of the tv and eliminate the bar. I would cut the cable coming from the control box and hook up left and right channel to on wall or in wall speakers. What you guys think? Sorry I don't think this is possible

Also, I have the sub about 15' away behind my dining table on a very small stool (about 8" off the ground). Is this position ideal?

IMO , Your preference--whatever sounds best to you. You could try placing your SW on the floor instead of a stool--its a down-firing SW so in general it needs something to bounce the sound off of. Give it a try and see it you notice any difference or improvement. I ended up moving my SW on the floor closer to the Sound bar location because to my ears that seemed to enhance ( widen) the virtual surround-sound effect ( but the layout of your room and furnishings also affects the virtual surround-sound effect).

LB
Old 01-07-2012, 04:17 PM

Can someone tell me the length of the cable between the interface module and soundbar? Can you extend it easily or buy other cables with those connectors?