post #331 of 556 Old 01-15-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post

Is there any accessory for mounting this bar on top of a TV? I have a Sony 60LX900 TV. The bar is currently on the TV stand which is too close to the floor, I think I could get better sound from a higher place.

This one works very well with most soundbars and TV sizes. YMMV of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 556 Old 01-15-2012, 03:19 PM

Liked: 10
I got my soundbar just before X-Mas and currently have in on the TV stand as well. I think the sound would be better above the TV as well. I have been considering this one

http://www.amazon.com/Soundbar-Brack...6669191&sr=8-1

There are a lot of pictures posted that show a lot of different bars both above and below the TV. Looks very versatile and also looks to work with a wall mount which I plan on doing shortly as well.
post #333 of 556 Old 01-15-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^
Yes, that's the same one I posted. I used it with a CT350 and a 55" TV. I believe the CT550 bar is the same length as the CT350.
post #334 of 556 Old 01-15-2012, 04:58 PM

There's been a lot of comparing the HT-CT350 and 150 but can anyone give me a comparison on the HT-CT150 and the 550W?
post #335 of 556 Old 01-15-2012, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoses View Post

I got my soundbar just before X-Mas and currently have in on the TV stand as well. I think the sound would be better above the TV as well. I have been considering this one

There are a lot of pictures posted that show a lot of different bars both above and below the TV. Looks very versatile and also looks to work with a wall mount which I plan on doing shortly as well.

wow.. thanks for sharing, that looks like exactly what I am looking for. I haven't checked the back of my TV but it's probably pretty standard stuff. I will order one.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 w/ Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
post #336 of 556 Old 01-15-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 57
Mine sits nicely on top of my TV with some stability provided by some double sided tape.
post #337 of 556 Old 01-16-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

I connected the ATV directly to the 550W and all worked as expected. About the only other thing I can think of that might be affecting sound output from your ATV through the 550W would be if you have the AMP/Audio/ Input Mode set to OPT ( optical cable) instead of "Auto". If you have this setting on the 550W set to OPT and you are using an HDMI cable for the ATV then you will not get any sound through the 550W.

That was it. Many thanks!
post #338 of 556 Old 01-16-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbryan44 View Post

That was it. Many thanks!

Good to hear that helped. Enjoy!

LB
post #339 of 556 Old 01-17-2012, 06:46 AM

I'm new to this forum and strongly considering getting the 550. I have a Samsung 4661, though, and it does not list ARC capability in the manual.

What do I lose by not having ARC? Will the soundbar works okay or would it be a mistake to try to mate these two devices?

Thx
post #340 of 556 Old 01-17-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanman View Post

I'm new to this forum and strongly considering getting the 550. I have a Samsung 4661, though, and it does not list ARC capability in the manual.

What do I lose by not having ARC? Will the soundbar works okay or would it be a mistake to try to mate these two devices?

Thx

Does your TV have optical out? If so you are ok. If not, you are also ok if all the audio sources you are interested in are directly connected to the sound bar receiver.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 w/ Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
post #341 of 556 Old 01-17-2012, 08:30 AM

Got a Sony 550W for Christmas. Hooked it up using the optical cable direct to soundbar, HDMI from dvd player to TV option. Verizon FIOS HDMI cable is already connected to the TV so left it as is... anyway, several times a day I get a skipping or jamming of the sound. Changing channel or pressing the DVR etc freezes the sound and it's as if it's stuck on repeat... d-d-d-d-d-d-d... only way out of it is to change the channel or stop what I was watching and restart. Anyone have this audio issue? We never had it before hooking up the sound bar so I am thinking maybe there was a setting on the amp I was supposed to do first?
post #342 of 556 Old 01-17-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:

Does your TV have optical out? If so you are ok. If not, you are also ok if all the audio sources you are interested in are directly connected to the sound bar receiver.

Yes, I do have optical out. Also, I just have three sources, cable box, blue ray, game system. So it sounds like I'm okay either way.

Thanks
post #343 of 556 Old 01-17-2012, 12:25 PM

Quick question someone I hope can answer..

Have the following setup..

Samsung LCD 40"
Rogers Explorer 3250 HD Cable Box
Sony 40" HT-CT550W

All above are connected with HDMI 1.4 cables as usual.

However, when I change the channel on the Rogers cable it takes 10seconds to display or hear anything. Oddly, if I disconnect the HDMI cable from the LCD TV then I can change channels and hear them quickly but obviously no video shows

If I direct-connect the Rogers -> LCD then changing channels happens almost instantly.

Whats at fault here?

Why is changing channels so slow between Rogers -> Sony 40" HT-CT550W -> LCD ? How to fix this?
post #344 of 556 Old 01-17-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Most likely it's an HDMI handshake issue. Cable boxes often have issues with AVRs...some combinations work fine, some don't. Try using different HDMI ports on both the TV and CT550W to see if the problem persists. You could also try getting a different model box from your cable company to see if it gets along better with the CT550W. Another option would be connecting the box via HDMI to the TV and ALSO connecting optical audio from the box to the CT550W.
post #345 of 556 Old 01-17-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:

Try using different HDMI ports on both the TV and CT550W to see if the problem persists.

Yep tried that.. same issue.

Quote:

You could also try getting a different model box from your cable company to see if it gets along better with the CT550W.

Yeah might be going that route but..

Quote:

Another option would be connecting the box via HDMI to the TV and ALSO connecting optical audio from the box to the CT550W.

Ahh.. so... Cable Box -> LCD via HDMI cable and Cable box -> CT500W via Optical Cable. Yeah can do that as a nice alternative. Thanks for those prompt suggestions!
post #346 of 556 Old 01-17-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frchndn View Post

If anybody has bought the WS-CT550B40 or WS-CT550B46 mounting bracket and is not using the pole piece, I would like to buy it. Please PM me.

Does that pole piece allow you to mount the bar below the TV while on a stand? I.e. does it raise the TV up a bit?

I would like to mount my bar on the bottom of the TV but would need it raised a a few inches.. I assume that's what the pole does.
post #347 of 556 Old 01-17-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:

AFAIK, Sony never provided a bracket to mount on top of TV, only a bracket for mounting to the pedestal of certain Sony TVs. The bracket is not included with the CT550W. The following is from the user manual.

I wish to do the same thing..ever get your answer?
post #348 of 556 Old 01-19-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegod75 View Post

Does that pole piece allow you to mount the bar below the TV while on a stand? I.e. does it raise the TV up a bit?

I would like to mount my bar on the bottom of the TV but would need it raised a a few inches.. I assume that's what the pole does.

Hi Dave, here's a link with photos of my 46HX820 and CT550W soundbar with WS-CT550B46 attachment bracket. It does raise the TV up by a bit. The measurement from the top of the base to bottom of the TV with the replacement shaft that comes with the kit is 4.5"

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post21264335
post #349 of 556 Old 01-20-2012, 05:45 AM

Liked: 11
Any thoughts on the CT150 vs the CT550W? I'd really like to hear some opinions on the sound differences between these two units. Is the only difference the wireless? Anyone who may have thoughts on this, please chime in!
post #350 of 556 Old 01-20-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Weirdest thing happened. It wouldn't turn on. Remote didn't turn it on, pushing the button the box didn't turn it on. I removed it from my rack, removed all cables, used a different extension cord, still no luck.

Got the TV running so the wife is happy and took it into the kitchen, plugged it in and it worked.

Took it back to the rack plugged it into the same extension it was plugged in (didn't plug any cables in) and it still worked. I'll put all the cables back later.

Anyone experience anything like that before?
post #351 of 556 Old 01-21-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post

Weirdest thing happened. It wouldn't turn on. Remote didn't turn it on, pushing the button the box didn't turn it on. I removed it from my rack, removed all cables, used a different extension cord, still no luck.

Got the TV running so the wife is happy and took it into the kitchen, plugged it in and it worked.

Took it back to the rack plugged it into the same extension it was plugged in (didn't plug any cables in) and it still worked. I'll put all the cables back later.

sigh - plugged everything back and and nothing. Removed cables and still nothing.

Edit - After a chat at Sony, I'm returning the receiver. It's under warranty but unfortunately, the sending shipping costs are on me.
post #352 of 556 Old 01-22-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoses View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post

wow.. thanks for sharing, that looks like exactly what I am looking for. I haven't checked the back of my TV but it's probably pretty standard stuff. I will order one.

Well, I ordered this product and didn't work with my TV. These brackets are not long enough. The 60LX900 has the mounting holes on the bottom half and the brackets just don't reach the top of the TV, unfortunately. They are like two or three inches short. If anyone has other ideas let me know. thanks

post #353 of 556 Old 01-25-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:

Same thing is happening to me. I've learned that if I leave it disconnected from a power source for a minute then plug it back in, it works again. Very annoying and disappointing. Trying to decide what to do about it as it is only happening every couple of days.

I wonder how widespread this problem is.
post #354 of 556 Old 01-25-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmonium View Post

Same thing is happening to me. I've learned that if I leave it disconnected from a power source for a minute then plug it back in, it works again. Very annoying and disappointing. Trying to decide what to do about it as it is only happening every couple of days.

I wonder how widespread this problem is.

I believe this is unusual. Something may be wrong with your unit. Is it still under warranty?

LB
post #355 of 556 Old 01-25-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

I believe this is unusual. Something may be wrong with your unit. Is it still under warranty?

. If so you want to ask Sony for repair or replacement. Give them a call to see what your options are.

LB
post #356 of 556 Old 01-25-2012, 06:42 PM

same here. its happened to me twice over a 5 month period. a quick disconnect of all plugs for a minute fixes it. First time it happened i brought it into Sony and the technician said nothing was wrong as they couldn't replicate the problem.
post #357 of 556 Old 01-25-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipa View Post

same here. its happened to me twice over a 5 month period. a quick disconnect of all plugs for a minute fixes it. First time it happened i brought it into Sony and the technician said nothing was wrong as they couldn't replicate the problem.

Did the tech mention anything about the potential that the issue may be caused by a power surge? If so you may need to use a surge protector. Regardless, and if this is not happening to your other electronics IMO sounds like a defective system.

LB
post #358 of 556 Old 01-25-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipa View Post

Like I posted earlier I did the above and like yours, did power back up. But then after hooking everything back up it failed again and this time disconnecting didn't have any affect.

Mine arrives at the Laredo repair place tomorrow.
post #359 of 556 Old 01-27-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Like I posted earlier I did the above and like yours, did power back up. But then after hooking everything back up it failed again and this time disconnecting didn't have any affect.

Mine arrives at the Laredo repair place tomorrow.

Did they tell you what they think the problem is? My guess is it sounds like a bad capacitor ?

LB
post #360 of 556 Old 01-27-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been thinking of buying the 550w to replace a Bose Cinemate (the one that uses RCA jacks and not optical). We quite like the Bose but it seems like it may be time to move to hdmi. Having wires everywhere is not possible so that is why a soundbar or Bose type Cinemate.

1- Does the Sony 550w give similar sound to the Bose Cinemate? I am not expecting 5:1 sound though DTS decoding would be nice.

2- We have an LG 55LW5600 3D TV. HDMI1 is arc compatible. Now, I have 4 things plugged in to the LG TV and sometimes more, using component. What happens to the sound from the items not plugged in to the Sony soundbar? Do the sound somehow find its way to the soundbar via ARC? That would be great as I would then effectively have 7 HDMI ports and component! Sounds too good to be true!

3- Can a Harmony One handle all the work and can I hide the woofer? this is my first time moving away from analogue audio so it's confusing.

Thanks,

Philip
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page